PDA

View Full Version : 2005-2006 men's team

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm real excited to see the men's team play this year. It will be a completely new team , not like one Miles has had in the past, and I'm sure they will struggle at times but I think they will be fun to watch.

Last year we had a short team depth-wise because of the 5 freshman redshirting, and this year I believe there are 3 true freshman. Anyone know if they will be all be redshirting this year, or will anyone play and contribute?

I have no idea on who I would expect to even start, and how deep of a rotation they will use. Anyone have any thoughts?

See Yuz.

roadwarrior
10-15-2005, 10:30 AM
There are 4 true freshmen this year. Sam Sussenguth, Josh Vaughan, Austin Pennick and Lorenzo Riley. I think Miles has said that Riley will be playing this year, and I think the other 3 will redshirt.

Did anyone go to the midnight madness?

NDSU_grad
10-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm real excited to see the men's team play this year. *It will be a completely new team , not like one Miles has had in the past, and I'm sure they will struggle at times but I think they will be fun to watch.

Last year we had a short team depth-wise because of the 5 freshman redshirting, and this year I believe there are 3 true freshman. *Anyone know if they will be all be redshirting this year, or will anyone play and contribute?

I have no idea on who I would expect to even start, and how deep of a rotation they will use. *Anyone have any thoughts?

See Yuz.

A complete guess on the starting lineup.

G Ben Woodside
G Phil Hahn
G Brett Winkelman/Michael Nelson
F Andre Smith
F Lorenzo Riley

Extremely young and small, but should be interesting. I have no idea on what the rotation will be.

jackrabbit1979
10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Did NDSU have midnight madness last night?

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I was at midnight madness.

It was slow like it usually is, and sloppy. *The kids I'm sure aren't playing hard, just having fun.

The men rained 3's in the 3 point shootout like nothing.

Josh Vaughn is one of the smoothest shooters I think NDSU has ever had, that I've seen in possibly 20 years of being a fan anyways.

Andre Smith's ego couldn't possibly be any bigger for a JUCO player. *I think he could be a very good player, but he seems rather arrogant and cocky beyond belief. *As long as he's contributing to the team I think he will be fine. *Then again, maybe it's just his persona and my perception and nothing more.

The 5 freshman that all redshirted last year could be solid contributors. *Woodside is a talented all around player, Winkelman and Nelson are extremely athletic compared to what NDSU has had in recent years, Lunde seems like he could be a force, but he has the wrist injury so it's hard to say.

Lorenzo Riley looks like a legit D1 player for our standards. *I think he could be a standout once he gets comfortable here.

Austin Pennick is smoooth. *I was really impressed with what I saw in him. *He has big time hops, looks to be extremely athletic and has excellent basketball build. *He didn't play much in the scrimmage because he hurt his wrist on the first possession. *I hope it's not serious. *I was hoping he wouldn't redshirt because I want to see this kid play now, but at least he will be around another year.

IMHO their is a significant difference in talent this year, then previous years. *I think the fans will be welcomed to D1 with a fun and athletic team to watch.

At the same time though, it's hard to say what any of these players are like in a competitive atmosphere.

See Yuz.

sambini
10-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I agree SILK.

BisonMav
10-20-2005, 07:32 PM
A complete guess on the starting lineup.

G *Ben Woodside
G *Phil Hahn
G *Brett Winkelman/Michael Nelson
F *Andre Smith
F *Lorenzo Riley

Extremely young and small, but should be interesting. *I have no idea on what the rotation will be.

Here's my complete guess: We will have to see which combinations play best together. The team looks deep.

For Starters
G Woodside Fr
G Hahn Sr
F Winkelman Fr
F Smith Jr
C Moorman Fr

Rotation in no specific order
G Obadina So
G Nelson Fr
F Riley Fr
F Lunde Fr
C Brown So

somebison
10-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Starters (probably) will be

Winkelman, Nelson, Woodside, Smith and Moorman

sambini
10-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Very athletic bunch and should be fun to watch.

roadwarrior
11-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Two sophomore walk-ons listed on the men's roster:

Ben Stoll 6-0 Guard from Brainerd MN
Andy Hansen 6-4 Forward from Estelline SD

RedRiver
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Stoll is a transfer from Iowa St.

BisonMav
11-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Doing a quick Google, he was a first team all-state in the 1A class of Minnesota Basketball, Minnesota Basketball News.

kchats
11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
They have the season preview up on GoBison.com now. I had it E-mailed to me this morning. Very interesting read. Sounds like the redshirt freshmen really hit the weights, they all put on over 15 pounds since they signed. Can't wait to hear how the season goes.

mikelsch
11-01-2005, 10:42 PM
I predict more wins for the men than the women. The women's team is a Katie Lorenz injury away from having a debacle like the volleyball team.

sambini
11-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I think the men will win more games this year.

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2005, 02:10 AM

So Stoll have to sit out this year then?

roadwarrior
11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
This is what the write up on the 2005 men's team says:

"Walk-on player Ben Stoll (6-0, 170), who transferred to NDSU from Iowa State last winter, will give the Bison some depth in the rotation at guard.

Stoll averaged 15.7 points and 5.8 assists over his three-year career at Pillager High School in Minnesota, including a pair of 40-point games."

It doesnt mention having to sit out, so I assume he will be ready to play ???

kchats
11-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Sounds like he sat out last season to me.