PDA

View Full Version : Basketball games tonight

tony
11-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Any of these going to be broadcast on the web?

Bisonguy
11-05-2005, 11:51 PM
They should be on the Bisonzone at least, aren't they?

somebison
11-06-2005, 12:01 AM
I would assume so, the FB game is live now :-X

tony
11-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Found it on Thunder Web...

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/webradio/

Ruley's squad up 7-2.

TaTonka_31
11-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Are you saying the game is on now on Thunder Radio? I couldn't see anything that indicated that.

kchats
11-06-2005, 01:16 AM
The students are broadcasting the game and GoBison has Live Stats.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/webradio/

Click on Listen Now and that triggers that broadcast.

kchats
11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Sounds like Amy has played alot of the younger players and the Bison are maintaining about a 20 point lead.

NoDakSt
11-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Katie Lorenz gets a triple double!! 14 points, 11 boards, 15 assists!!

Post Danni Heintzelman had 20 points and 9 boards and super sophs Brenda Slyt and Lisa Bue had 16 and 20 points respectively.

Brandee Gibbs and Amanda Giordat did not play.

kchats
11-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Bison men beat Moorhead State tonight 71-57 in an exhibition game. Looks like Woodside had a good game with 17 points as did Andre Smith with 21 points.

The women also won tonight beating Bemidji State.

Men play Bemidji State in an exhibition tomorrow.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2005, 04:22 AM
wow.....

the men are so fun to watch. They were in complete control of the whole game although MSU missed alot of shots early, but that can be attributed to NDSU's defense.

Very athletic team that plays an uptempo game and the exciting thing is they don't seem out of control at all.

They had alot of TO's, mainly the freshman with ballhandling, but passing the bball and handling MSU's full court pressure was pretty impressive. I don't think NDSU had any TO's from their full court pressure.

The women struggled alot at times. I am thinking they could have a long year this year. Unfortunately, I didn't think they were too fun to watch...... :(

See Yuz.

tony
11-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the guys sounded good - kind of cool that the redshirts get to play in exhibitions.

The women's game was very ragged though - 21 turnovers? Ouch. They have a ways to go before they're ready for the regular season.

somebison
11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
2,514 in attendance tonight, pretty good for an exhibition game :)

Flintstone
11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Woodside is super smooth. Man can that guy shoot.
Smith will be a big help. He's very athletic and has some really good moves on offense.

For the redshirts, Pennick(sp) looked good when he was in, he's really quick and takes the ball to the rim pretty well.

Should be a fun team to watch all year!

kchats
11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Amy said that they really hadn't worked much on their offensive plays only a little on defense. They will be fine. She said Daniell had a hamstring problem that affected her quickness. I believe she looked at it much like NFL coaches look at exhibition games. She didn't run her offense and wanted to see what the players could do on their own. Bemidji State isn't a match for the Bison so they didn't have to game plan.

The men had the advantage of playing games earlier in the season to get comfortable with each other.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2005, 05:46 PM
The women just didn't seem to have alot of hustle.

I don't know if they had tired legs, but Bemidji was beating them all over the hustle boards.

The women also got worked pretty well inside from a small and very young Bemidji team.

I was not impressed with them at all. *And there were alot of grumblings from the people in the reserved seatings section.

But i's only exhibition so, I won't look to far into it.

See Yuz.

Rodentia
11-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Still too early to tell much. These exhibition games are where you kick off the rust. Minnesota only beat SW Minnesota State by 9 points. The great thing about these exhibition games is that your opponent is highly motivated, and gives a team a needed challenge before it really matters.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2005, 07:48 PM
That's a good point.

I wonder how serious the knee injuries are to Girodat and Gibbs, because they didn't play.

I'm sure it was more keeping them out of the exhibition then anything.

I know Girodat was out all last year recovering that injury, but I didn't know Gibbs hurt hers.

roadwarrior
11-06-2005, 10:23 PM
After the men's game last night, Woodside was interviewed on thunder radio, and when he was done, he walked over to five of us that were standing nearby and thanked us for coming to the game!

BisBison
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
After the men's game last night, Woodside was interviewed on thunder radio, and when he was done, he walked over to five of us that were standing nearby and thanked us for coming to the game! *
That's cool, but what's really impresive is his shooting. Try 5 for 5 from three point range. :o

sambini
11-07-2005, 01:17 AM
The mens team is very fun to watch.

Leonardite
11-07-2005, 03:24 AM
That's a good point.

I wonder how serious the knee injuries are to Girodat and Gibbs, because they didn't play.

I'm sure it was more keeping them out of the exhibition then anything.

I know Girodat was out all last year recovering that injury, but I didn't know Gibbs hurt hers.

Amanda shouldn't be out more than a game. It was just a bump she picked up at practice.

bisongold
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
While the men's BB team was much more fun to watch than the teams lately, I am not as impressed yet as most seem to be. I do believe that we cannot take too much from this first "scrimmage", but I do like the fact that they are pushing the ball up the court and actually have a transition game. This will make the team exciting to watch especially when the breakaway slam dunks start appearing. I was impressed with many of the players but my main concern is the half court offense. Still to me does'nt seem like enough action is toward the hoop, which would put more pressure on the defense. The movements seem to be to balance the court, but not to attack the basket. Too much emphasis on the 3 pt. shot to bail us out of possessions where nothing happened. Maybe I am completely wrong and what I am seeing is just the learning curve of the players. I prefer the attacking nature of the girls team much more. Always posting up and looking to feed them. More pressure on the defense, more fouls by the other team, and more freethrows for the bison. Perhaps the men's offense is just too compicated, and thus the players can't use their natural instincts to play a little more uninhibited. After all, that is why they were recruited, because they had much better than average skills. Would be interested to hear other's feelings on this.

Flintstone
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Moorhead was playing zone most of the game. You will see alot more penetration and slashing against man to man defense. It's harder to penetrate all the way to the basket against a zone. I would have liked to see more penetration with a kick out to the wing, but it's early, it will come.

Rodentia
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, it's more than a scrimage, although less than a regular season game. Both teams care if they win, but it's a big game to the opponent - they have nothing to lose, and if they can beat a D-I team, even in an exhibition game, that's a very big thing for a D-II school.

That's also what makes the exhibition games, good, yplaying a motivated opponent gives you a challenge.

silkamilkamonico
11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Moorhead was playing zone most of the game. *You will see alot more penetration and slashing against man to man defense. *It's harder to penetrate all the way to the basket against a zone. *I would have liked to see more penetration with a kick out to the wing, but it's early, it will come.

Exactly.

You have to be patient and set up an oppurtunity against zone defense. If you try to rush something your going to end up taking a bad shot.

I was impressed with NDSU's rebounding.

The one thing that can't be meaured, the ball was in the hands of freshman the majority of the night in Winkelman and Woodside, as well as Nelson.

Those guys even said themselves that they weren't too concerned with making plays, but more concerned with getting acclimated to the speed of the game and finding a comfort level out on the court.

I really don't know why some people expet something out of a team that revolves around freshman, other then they play hard and with pride.

Bison did that.

TaTonka_31
11-08-2005, 05:07 AM
I wish I could have been at the game against Moorhead but couldn't. Those of you that went, how did the Bison play on defense? I feel like this mens team can score the basketball and be fairly competitive if they can create a few turnovers and get some stops on defense.

How was the ball pressure and the interior defense? How well do the guards help and recover to close on the perimeter shots?

TheBisonator
11-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Bison Men beat Valley City State tonight 58-34.

Good crowd tonight for an exhibition game. The student section was almost full (it felt cramped sitting in there).

kchats
11-12-2005, 03:13 AM
What did they only play one half? 58-34 is pretty lousy for both teams but only scoring 58 points against an NAIA team isn't very good at all.

sambini
11-12-2005, 04:09 AM
I hope the students show up for the football game.

Yellow
11-12-2005, 04:22 AM
They played mostly freshman the whole game, true freshman, to get them some playing time. The game was sloppy but was expected.

D
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I made the trip to Fargo for the game last night, and holy cow, was that one of the ugliest games I have ever had the misfortune to watch. The 2nd half in particular, neither team could throw it in the ocean, the Bison seemed to shoot it pretty well in the 1st half though. I came away a bit disapointed in the fact that Lucas Moorman did nothing offensively, if memory serves I don't think he even took a shot.

kchats
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
That was what I was saying with my comment that 58 points against a NAIA team is lousy. Even with true freshmen playing they should blow an NAIA team out by at least 50 points. Last time I checked if they are true freshmen they are division I recruits so it should have been a dominating performance even without a game plan.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Yep.

I think it's safe to say that they clearly aren't division 1 athletes.

I'll be suprised if we win 1 game this year against Division 1 competition.

Freshman need to have alot more of an impact then that!!

::)

See Yuz.

DIBISON
11-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Two upperclass starters and freshmen round out the team. Miles has got a plan for 2-3 years down the road and that's the way it should be. Do you remember that we are still in 'transition"? Do you guys know why they have exhibitions, don't call it a game? See the progress by the end of the year and then make your comments.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Two upperclass starters and freshmen round out the team. *Miles has got a plan for 2-3 years down the road and that's the way it should be. *Do you remember that we are still in 'transition"? *Do you guys know why they have exhibitions, don't call it a game? *See the progress by the end of the year and then make your comments.

I agree.

I was being sarcastice with my post.

Yeah we're young and inexperienced, yeah we're going to struggle at times, but I would hardly push the panic button because we only put up 58 points against an NAIA team in an exhibition game, playing with a team that has hardly even made a scratch in the surface of what their ability is and what they are capable of.

See Yuz.

roadwarrior
11-14-2005, 02:29 AM
To put it in perspective, the Gopher men only scored 59 against SW Minnesota, beating them by 9.

roadwarrior
11-14-2005, 02:31 AM
I made the trip to Fargo for the game last night.....

So that was you that walked by at the BSA and also appeared later at Wild Wings??