PDA

View Full Version : ONE MORE DAY....until Bison/Big Ten Action!

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
This is it....one more day until we can watch NDSU tackle a Big Ten BB team! Give me D1 any day!!

coloradobison
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
wish i could watch, i guess i will have to settle for listening to the game.

JBB
11-17-2005, 03:25 PM
There was a little talk about NDSU on the Gopher show last night, but not much.

somebison
11-17-2005, 03:26 PM
wish i could watch, i guess i will have to settle for listening to the game.

Any sports bar with the DirecTV sports pack should have the game.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Any sports bar with the DirecTV sports pack should have the game.

Exactly......that is how I will be watching!!

BisonBryce
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I will actually be at Williams.
:)

Big_BisonFan
11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Williams Arena here I come. Which bar/rest. is everyone going to be at before/after the game??

kchats
11-17-2005, 06:58 PM
What time does it start? I have DirecTV SportsPak as well.

jackmd
11-17-2005, 07:10 PM
You can watch the Bison/Gophers on FSN at 6 pm and then switch over to the Jacks/Illini at 7 pm on ESPNU. I suspect both games will be better in the 1st half than the 2nd.

JBB
11-17-2005, 09:10 PM
You guys lost by about 20 or so to Kentucky last night didnt you?

MRBISON
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Anyone know the over / under on the game tomorrow?

sambini
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
YOU GUYS HUNG IN THERE FOR AWHILE AT KENTUCY? Did you lose by 14?

bisongold
11-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Certainly the Bison have played D-1 teams in the past. I know for sure that Villanova played UND and NDSU in 1971 or 72 and that UND played at Uof Minn. in possibly the same year. In fact I believe the Bison beat Villanova by 2 points but my memory could be wrong. There center or star at the time was Howard Porter who never amounted to anything in the pros but I sure remember him being a hotdog. Not warming up with the rest of the team...just sitting on the bench. Perhaps someone has a better memory than me and could also remember other D-1 games.

jackmd
11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
YOU GUYS HUNG IN THERE FOR AWHILE AT KENTUCY? Did you lose by 14?

We did hang in there, lost by 14 (71-54) in the end. Kentucky starters played the whole game. Not saying we should've won but we didn't play our best.

Should have blown UNC out the next night but let them back in. Ended up winning 61-59. Our offense is frightful right now.

BisonBryce
11-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Williams Arena here I come. Which bar/rest. is everyone going to be at before/after the game??

going to BigTen before the game and Sally's afterwards for my group. Sally's is one of the main pubs nearby. Also Stub & Herbs (not sure if it is called that now) is there too in stadium village.

Gully
11-18-2005, 12:23 AM
I'll be in row three for this one. Look for a fat guy in a green Bison sweatshirt. No drinking after the game though, I need to get home and get some sleep for my trip Saturday to the Bison FB game. Returning to MPLS on Sunday just in time to leave for Green Bay for the Monday night game.

Should be a fun long weekend of sports.

filbert
11-18-2005, 12:42 AM
We did hang in there, lost by 14 (71-54) in the end. Kentucky starters played the whole game. Not saying we should've won but we didn't play our best.

Should have blown UNC out the next night but let them back in. Ended up winning 61-59. Our offense is frightful right now.

"Math not Zathras' skill . . . " (Babylon-5 reference)

71-54 is a 17 point loss, not 14 . . .

the Kentucky game was a very interesting experience to watch, not only for SDSU fans. Kentucky still had their starters in at the end of the game. I'm not sure if that was respect for SDSU or Tubby Smith being unhappy with how his starters had played--possibly some of both. SDSU showed it could run the court with Kentucky, though, at least on that night.

sambini
11-18-2005, 01:41 AM
I think we played the U OF M IN 80 OR 81 players were Brady Lipp, Mike Driscoll,and Bruce Shockman. Gophers had Trent Tucker and we got drilled.

Big_BisonFan
11-18-2005, 02:11 AM
going to BigTen before the game and Sally's afterwards for my group. *Sally's is one of the main pubs nearby. *Also Stub & Herbs (not sure if it is called that now) is there too in stadium village.

My group will probably stop by the BigTen before. Might see ya there. We are going to get walkup or scalped tickets.

kchats
11-18-2005, 03:44 AM
We did hang in there, lost by 14 (71-54) in the end. *Kentucky starters played the whole game. *Not saying we should've won but we didn't play our best.

Should have blown UNC out the next night but let them back in. *Ended up winning 61-59. *Our offense is frightful right now.

UNC in this instance is Northern Colorado not the University of North Carolina right? ;)

SDbison
11-18-2005, 04:18 AM
I think we played the U OF M *IN 80 OR 81 players were Brady Lipp, Mike Driscoll,and Bruce Shockman. Gophers had Trent Tucker and we got drilled.
As I recall we also had a guy named Jeff Askew who was one of the best players to ever wear a Bison uniform. He scored 30+ points against the Gophers.

RonRabbit
11-18-2005, 06:59 AM
UNC in this instance is Northern Colorado not the University of North Carolina right? ;)

Yes, No Colorado. *But the funny comment was made at the end of the game by the ESPNU announcers...they commented on the Monday night matchup between SDSU and UNC: *"a couple of West Coast teams."

Norm from Cheers: *"...one of those rectangular states out there..."

SDSU will be playing the west-coast SDSU in San Diego March 3. *South Dakotan Jeff Schemmel is the AD at San Diego State (his son was a Bison baseball player).

GoBison127
11-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Just watching the FSN Live show on FSN North and the Bison are practicing in the background at Williams Arena. Gotta love it!

Gully
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
"a couple of West Coast teams."

That's pretty funny.

The SDSU/SDSU game is pretty funny as well, it'll be interesting to see that score scroll. I don't know that San Diego State is known for BB, can the Bunnies win that one?

Also, SDSU (the Upper Midwest one) looks to have a pretty exciting schedule. Hopefully the Herd can do something similar next year or the year after.

filbert
11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
San Diego State is a favorite to win the Mountain West.

BisonBacker
11-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Counting down the hours. This is going to be a fun night. Go Bison!

RedRiver
11-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Good article in today's Star Tribune on the Bison-Gophers game. Monson talked about Woodside and the Gopher's thoughts on offering him a scholarship.

Also, WDAY TV will be at the game live and will have coverage on the sports tonight at 6 & 10.

WYOBISONMAN
11-18-2005, 05:22 PM
San Diego State is a favorite to win the Mountain West.

Wyoming won't be a threat in the Mountain West. The Wyoming coach (McClain) is a damn zipper head. Hopefully he will get ditched soon (except Barta exteded his contract until 2009 a couple years ago).... :P

BisonMav
11-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Can't wait for work to get done today. Get home, get ready and head to Williams arena for a Bison Game. Should be a great time.

filbert
11-18-2005, 11:22 PM
This has to be the biggest day (so far) in the history of Dakota collegiate sports--regular-season sports, anyway.

NDSU takes on Minnesota, SDSU takes on Illinois, in games that count. Both on TV available nation-wide. Doesn't get much better than that.

Good luck Bison, beat them Gophers!

coloradobison
11-18-2005, 11:36 PM
when does pregame start for basketball games via the radio on bisonzone?

JBB
11-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Im watching the Gophers pregame show now on FSN. *It doesnt appear tha Monson sees us as a DI team. *He is lumping us in with the exhibition games. * :(

Ps. The announcer finally said the exhibition season comes to an end and the regular season begins with North Dakota State.

coloradobison
11-18-2005, 11:38 PM
bastard...he will get whats coming to him....just joking.

JBB
11-18-2005, 11:40 PM
well, with that announcer chiming in, I guess we are getting some respect! 8)

coloradobison
11-18-2005, 11:40 PM
radio pregame is going! my oh my here we go.

SirHinn
11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Here comes the tipoff.

coloradobison
11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
you lucky people and your tv broadcasts

JBB
11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
The BISON are showing some stuff. both Winkleman and Morman have made some nice baskets. Woodside just gets his second foul.

SirHinn
11-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Moorman looks really impressive so far. Good vision and good feel so far.

GFBison
11-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Homer refs *:)

GFBison
11-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Gophers aren't working hard on offense.

14-5 bison yes

GFBison
11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
5 - 0 on fouls

SirHinn
11-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes, stupid fouls by the freshmen are obviously playing a factor. Whats going to kill them is right when the Gophers start to press and play a lil more aggressive.

JBB
11-19-2005, 12:28 AM
The Gophers are good. They can drive the BISON offense back, they are bigger too. But if we can just score on our end and stop the turnovers we can stay in it.

SirHinn
11-19-2005, 12:33 AM
They need to try and get Smith the ball a little more. He has seemed to disappear at times.

go_bison
11-19-2005, 12:55 AM
That dunk by Grier was sick. Might be on Gopher highlight reels for a while. (over a Bison player) :-/

bisongold
11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Need to keep Hahn out ! No clue. Always waits too long to pass the ball!

SDbison
11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Bison only down by 6 at the half. 32 - 26

bisongold
11-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Will have Woodside back . See if he can get anything going. Can he stay in the game?

SDbison
11-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Two three point baskets by Lunde. A lot of compliments about Moorman from the announcers. NDSU is starting 3 redshirt freshman against a Minnesota team with 3 returning senior starters. Even though sloppy at times NDSU is doing OK.

SDbison
11-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Surprised there is not more attention on the message board about this game.

coloradobison
11-19-2005, 01:13 AM
i am listening to the game, but i am also working...so i havent been putting my two cents in...alot of turnovers in the first half and fouls. but not terrible overall, scoring drought there for awhile also.

SDbison
11-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Wonder how bad the bunnies are getting killed by Illinois? Their game started at 7PM.

trams86
11-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Wonder how bad the bunnies are getting killed by Illinois? *Their game started at 7PM.
16:04 in 1st half SDSU 10 Illinios 7

hanging in there so far

Thunder_Struck
11-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Down 15-12

Bisonguy
11-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Surprised there is not more attention on the message board about this game.

Too much watchy on TV. CAn.......not.....typoe.......and.........watceh.. ....at...teh same...tyme..... ;D

Bisonguy
11-19-2005, 01:26 AM
What channel are the wabbits on?

Thunder_Struck
11-19-2005, 01:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?confId=7

JBB
11-19-2005, 01:39 AM
too many turnovers. 21 right now, but we have shown some flashes. That last drive to the Basket for the BISON was beautiful. Another TO, the Gopher Defense is more than we can handle right now. I like the looks of the BISON team. Good first game.

GFBison
11-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Play smart Bison. Shot selection is very poor.

GFBison
11-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Good job bison.

bisongold
11-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Good showing, saved face. Could have gotten ugly but the Bison kept hanging in there. No post play again... did Andre Smith score? Half court trap hurt us badly in first half. Did not attack the basket the first half, a little better the second. Still do not like our offenses...not enough going to the hoop and drawing fouls. Too many TOs!!

IowaBisonToo
11-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Not a bad showing for a bunch of freshman vs. a pretty decent Gopher team. :D Not impressed with the play by Smith -- especially since I thought he had something to prove against the Gophs. :-/ Good job on the boards. Not sure if MN wasn't trying or the Bison are that good in that area.

Overall, need to work on turnovers, rhythm and speed, IMHO. Looked pretty slow at times -- not sure what they wanted to do or, in the case of Smith, went lazily for the slam and got rejected.

Overall, I see good things to come, though, from the team.

BTW, did it bother anyone else when Brammer and Dutcher kept refering to NDSU as the Bissson and not the Bi(z)on??? :P

GFBison
11-19-2005, 02:47 AM
I think the Gophs looked lazy in the first part of the first half. *Still were pressing with a 15+ lead and minutes to play. *

The Bissson is how everyone outside of Fargo says it.

IowaBisonToo
11-19-2005, 02:54 AM
The Bissson is how everyone outside of Fargo says it.

I know, but it still sounds funny :P

MinotBison
11-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Is there even the slightest chance that we could get the Gophers to come to Fargo and play, or is that something which is not likely to happen in our lifetime?

RonRabbit
11-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Irrespective of how people are pronouncing Bison, I was very impressed with the showing of the Bison. What a great showing against a very good, experienced Gopher team. What a great future for the Bison.

Of course, I hope the Jacks, also young and with a great future, kick the Bison's butts during the season...but, my second favorite team has to be Timmy Miles's Bison.

Way to go. Fun to watch on TV.

Rodentia
11-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Little discussion of this game at gopherhole.com - only 4 messages since the game started. It seems that most fans there seem to think that anything less than a 30-40 point Gopher victory would be a disaster. But they are posting out of ignorance. It seems that many would rather savage the Gophers than even consider the idea that NDSU might be a worthy opponent. There were a good number of green shirts at the game.

IowaBisonToo
11-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Saw Chapman sitting right behind the bench with a whole bunch of Green and Gold fans.

NDSUstudent
11-19-2005, 03:10 AM
I just got back from the game and the Bison played well. For team this young and with this many new guys they hung with the Gophers for most of the game. Grier was really the difference in the game the Bison just had no one that could match him. That dunk by the way was amazing. I think this was a solid showing by NDSU in their first game against a big ten team.

WYOBISONMAN
11-19-2005, 03:23 AM
A great showing by Tim Miles and the young Bison team. This Alumnus is damn proud!

SirHinn
11-19-2005, 03:29 AM
The one thing they really need is an athletic wing who can drive and finish with some authority. The good news is their latest sign from St. Paul is that athletic wing who can jump out of the gym and finish above the rim.
Very impressed with Woodside. He's going to be one heck of a scoring point guard and could become one of the best the Bison have ever had. Was also really suprized with how much you could tell Lunde had spent in the weight room. Definately also very impressed with Moorman. Never imagined he'd make that type of impact so early.

IowaBisonToo
11-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I'm looking forward to watching this team grow as a group over the next few years. 14/15 sophmores or younger. GREAT potential!! :)

BisonBacker
11-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Absolutely a good showing by our guys. Yeah we had some sloppy turnovers and did seem out of sync for a while but when you have your ball control point guard out that early due to foul trouble (which I thought the 3rd foul called on him was questionable) and such young players to back him that's to be expected. Overall the game was for the most part closer then the final score. The three big things, were
1. Early foul trouble
2. Way to many turnovers
3. No answer for Grier

I think we are going to have an exciting team to watch over the course of the season and who couldn't be excited about the next few years with these guys and the guys who have already signed for next year. Should be some suprises for teams who don't take us seriously like the gophers.

89rabbit
11-19-2005, 04:30 AM
Nice job NDSU.

MinotBison
11-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, did anyone hear how the Fighting Sue men's team did tonight? ;D ;D ;D

soofan15
11-19-2005, 08:34 AM
The Sioux lost, and for good reason. They have become such a trashy program it is unbelievable. I'm embarrassed to be a Sioux basketball fan right now. Glas needs to decide who he wants to recruit- good, area players (Iowa, ND, SD, Minn.) or juco boys. They have a mix right now and it's not looking very good. There is no way they should've lost this game tonite. Even thought they were missing their 2 best players (Koenig, Lindahl), they still should've beaten Mayville. What a joke. The Bison, however, were fun to watch. I didn't watch the second half, but they were sure fun to watch in the first half. They made it a close game in the first half, but I assume the Gophs distanced it in the second. I was sure pulling for them anyway, it was great so see a bunch of local kids from an in-state school keepin up with a proven Big 10 program. As much as I hate the Bison, I have to say congratulations and good luck in the future.

BISON_PRIDE
11-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Wow congrats to Mayville State, great win for that school and BB program. *I read in the StarTrib that Grier was hurt during the gopher game, could it have been that dunk?

JBB
11-19-2005, 01:52 PM
There was talk pregame about how NDSU would have no trouble finding games, but home games will be tough to schedule. *I suppose its possible to get the Gophers in Fargo, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

The announcers were very positive about the NDSU and SDSU moves to DI and spent a little time talking about our program. Several times it was mentioned that this will be a regular matchup.

The Gopher defense was very strong. *They could push the BISON back to the half court line. *It was tough to get inside but we did. *It was exciting, wining or losing the game was never on my mind. *Watching and enjoying it were. *Im more of a Gopher BB fan now then I was and am excited about the future of the BISON. Wait till we have a bench to match the starting five!

bisongold
11-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, the lack of depth when Woodside went out was apparent.

bisongold
11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Mayville is coached by an ex NDSU assistant coach. Of course they will be good!

Tatanka
11-19-2005, 03:18 PM
GO BISON!!!

WYOBISONMAN
11-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the comments soofan.

BisonBacker
11-19-2005, 03:48 PM
I think we at least proved that we belong. *I was thinking myself that 10-20 point loss would be something to build on and thats just what happened. *I heard some at work saying it would be a blowout and saw some posts on the gophers board saying the same as well. *Given we were on the road, had over 20 turnovers and started 3 freshman I think we have a very bright future and next time we go down there they may show a little more respect. *I agree that we have a good team and in a couple of years are going to have a dam good team. *I'm excited more then I have ever been about Bison BBALL. *I have always been more interested in Football but with these guys and the guys we have signed I'm looking forward to watching them play. ;D

Rodentia
11-19-2005, 04:19 PM
The Gophers can be a bit stingy with road games. If the Bison-Gophers game becomes an every-year event - which I think it should - I would expect that the Gophers will play in Fargo from time to time. Much depends on how valuable Bison fans make this game. There was a good number of Bison fans at this game - that's a lot of tickets that the Gophers would not have sold if it had been Lipscomb.

The more fans wearing green there are at the game, the more valuuable this game is to Minnesota, and the more likely Minnesota will be to come on the road to Fargo. I doubt they would play there every other year, but 2 games in Minneapolis for 1 game in Fargo might be possible.

pwbnd
11-19-2005, 04:31 PM
So any wild guesses as to how many Bison fans made the trip?

Found this stat in the Star Tribune today -

• NDSU was certainly a draw at the gate for the Gophers. The announced crowd of 11,136 was more than 2,600 more than the Gophers drew for any nonconference game last season

GFBison
11-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Grier was hurt on a charging foul, he fell awkwardly after making contact with a Bison defender. Looked like a wrist or hand injury.

markerman
11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
So any wild guesses as to how many Bison fans made the trip?

Found this stat in the Star Tribune today -

• NDSU was certainly a draw at the gate for the Gophers. The announced crowd of 11,136 was more than 2,600 more than the Gophers drew for any nonconference game last season

Awesome. Can anyone who was at the game confirm the amount of Bison fans there? Were they a factor at all?

RonRabbit
11-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I suppose its possible to get the Gophers in Fargo, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

The announcers were very positive about the NDSU and SDSU moves to DI and spent a little time talking about our program. *Several times it was mentioned that this will be a regular matchup.

JBB: I always appreciate your comments but I think you may be pleasantly surprised about whether the Gophers will come to Fargo. I'll place a small wager that the Gophers will visit Fargo in three or four years. Your athletic department will be able to twist arms and get that done because the Gophers know they'll sell out pre-conference season games with the Bison at Williams Arena and they'll eventually have to return the favor. They'll want to lock that in before the Bison get locked into a different schedule. I hope the same is true with SDSU too. Minnesota has to be aware of its travel budget and sometimes the financial constraints are worse in the really big programs.

And its a two-way street: the Bison playing in Minneapolis is good recruiting exposure for the Bison; well, so is the exposure Minnesota can get when playing in Fargo. Fargo is a nice-sized metro area and now that it has D-1 sports, watch how the level of everything goes up including some high school team play.

One can be prone to exaggeration but this is a new era and the sky's the limit. The Gophers had their eyes opened last night.

Oh yeah, SDSU women stomped on Nebraska Huskers today, 68-49. I know Coach Ruley is thinking "we can do that too" -- and she's right, they can. The more interesting game will be SDSU v. NDSU...the Jack women won't forget Ruley's team coming down to Frost and beating the Jacks, a team that played more D-1 team that NDSU. Grudge time.

Go Jacks; but go Bison too when you're not playing the Jacks.

kchats
11-19-2005, 08:39 PM
I watched the last bit of the second half of the Bison game and they had a little trouble shooting while I watched. They launched quite a few that didn't even have a chance to make it. That said I am impressed that they played the Gophers that well and only lost by 13. The future does look bright for the Bison.

I also watched the SDSU vs. Illinois game on ESPNU. It seemed to me that Illinois went out of their way to keep the game a blowout at the end. Illinois was still pressing a firing up three's with under 2 minutes left. They were up by 20 and wanted it to be much more, I didn't really care for that.

RonRabbit
11-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I watched the last bit of the second half of the Bison game and they had a little trouble shooting while I watched. *They launched quite a few that didn't even have a chance to make it. *That said I am impressed that they played the Gophers that well and only lost by 13. *The future does look bright for the Bison.

I also watched the SDSU vs. Illinois game on ESPNU. *It seemed to me that Illinois went out of their way to keep the game a blowout at the end. *Illinois was still pressing a firing up three's with under 2 minutes left. *They were up by 20 and wanted it to be much more, I didn't really care for that.

You're right about Illinois at the end. *I think they expected to have an easier time and had to try to run the score up a little. *The local press reminded Illinois fans that Coach Nagy graduated from high school at Champaign, his dad was a long-time assistant coach under Lou Henson, and Scott Nagy himself had been an assistant at Illinois. *And then, local kid Steve Holdren, a Champaign native and high school star, couldn't be stopped! *He scored 28 for the Jacks and Illinois didn't quite know what to do with him (he was also the lead scorer on both teams (25 pts) when Kentucky beat the Jacks last Sunday).

kchats
11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
My wife isn't a sports fan but her comment last night pretty much summed up what is so great about the move to division I. She said "Must be great to be able to watch your team on TV." I couldn't agree more. 8)

kchats
11-19-2005, 08:46 PM
You're right about Illinois at the end. *I think they expected to have an easier time and had to try to run the score up a little. *The local press reminded Illinois fans that Coach Nagy graduated from high school at Champaign, his dad was a long-time assistant coach under Lou Henson, and Scott Nagy himself had been an assistant at Illinois. *And then, local kid Steve Holdren, a Champaign native and high school star, couldn't be stopped! *He scored 28 for the Jacks and Illinois didn't quite know what to do with him (he was also the lead scorer on both teams (25 pts) when Kentucky beat the Jacks last Sunday).

Was that him in the head band? He was unstoppable with his shots. Looks like they let a good one get away from them there. You guys have a great player in him.

RonRabbit
11-19-2005, 08:46 PM
A buddy of mine, dyed in the wool-USD fan, said he wouldn't watch SDSU if they played on tv but last night, we watched the Bison and he was cheering them on!

BisonMav
11-20-2005, 01:00 AM
There were a couple sections in the upper deck that were mostly Bison fans. A Bunch behing the bench, and quite a few mixed in with the Gopher fans throughout the arena. Could have been a couple thousand, but I am no expert. Great to be there, Bison made a lot of mistakes, probably comes with being young and playing your first game on a Big 10 home court. Grier was heads and tails better than anyone on the court. Tollackson was too big for the Bison to handle, and there were some quickness advantages on the Gopher side. Winkelman will be great, some nice power moves and good rebounding. The Bison outrebounded the Gophs. Hope they come again next year.

sambini
11-20-2005, 05:35 AM
Nice effort Coach Miles,staff,and players you made us proud.

DIBISON
11-20-2005, 06:02 AM
I was also at the Bison-Gophers game. It was great to be there and walking around you sure noticed the Bison clothing. I was in the upper deck that had a couple of sections of Bison fans. There was also a good group of Bison fans at Sallys before the game.

Great effort and performance by the Bison. Wait until these "kids" are juniors and seniors, they are intelligent, know how to play the game, and play as a team. In a few years their teamwork will be beating more talented and athletic teams.

Thought Moorman had a good game and Woodside is the real deal, even though he only played 20 some minutes!

TaTonka_31
11-20-2005, 06:03 AM
What was really encouraging was that Woodside really never got into the flow of the game until the start of the second half because of foul trouble but still the rest of the guys hung in there. Had Woodside been able to play his normal minutes, who knows what would have happened.

The five red-shirts along with Smith appear to have what it takes to compete and win at the D1 level.

The big positives were that they out rebounded the Gophers and really played the Gophers half court offense tough in their half court defense.

The negatives were of course the turnovers and lack of being able to finish in the transition game when they were able to turnover MN. Shooting percentage at 39% needs to be better also.

All and all the players looked like they belonged at that level and really did well for their first major college game. There are many established D1 teams that will come into that building and do much worse.

The future looks bright for Bison Mens Basketball.

sambini
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Anyone going todays game againest HAMLINE?

BisonBacker
11-20-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm leaving in a half an hour, will give you a report later today when I get home. Looking forward to seeing the guys on the home floor.

BisonBacker
11-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Well just got home from the Hamline game. First of all I have to say that either they have some dam good 3 point shooters or they were just extremely lucky, I think its probably more of the latter as some of the three's they threw up were prayers. The scored 45 points on 3 pointers. Our D didn't do the best job of covering them up on the outside. The inside D looked good though. Offensively our perimiter game looked pretty good and woodside again showed why he's handling the ball. He made some drives to the bucket and made some tuff shots against some biggers players. One thing that looked apparent in both games so far (against the gophers I wasn't suprised) is that our inside game in the paint looks off. Our guys should have dominated these guys in the paint and at times they showed the ability but there were many instances where they didn't go to the hole when they had the opportunity. I guess that will come with experience. All in all it was a win but just as many said the gophers were supposed to win the game with us, we had to win this game against Hamline. I hope we have all DI competition on our roster next year. This year we have 4 schools that are not, Hamline being one of them. There is no way we should have a DIII team on any schedule in any sport anymore. I never did hear any number on the crowd but it was pretty small. So next up is a game at Colorado State. Hope this will be the first of many DI wins for the guys. Everybody up for the TIP OFF THE MARCH IS ON!!!!! ;)

Bryan
11-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Texas Pan American loses to Illinois by only 12 and had a 10 point lead in the first half. I don't think Illinois is quite as good as some SDSU fans think.

Bison win 90-74 over D3 Hamline, only up 5 at half. Only a 16 point win over a D3 school? This is why most D1 teams, and SDSU and NDSU fans will learn this over time, don't put alot of stock into the margain of victory in these non-conference games. It's basically about getting the win and that's all that matters. I understand that this is all new and exciting playing major D1 schools for the first time but I think fans of both schools are getting a little carried away just because they only lost by X amount of points.

BisonBacker
11-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Texas Pan American loses to Illinois by only 12 and had a 10 point lead in the first half. I don't think Illinois is quite as good as some SDSU fans think. *

Bison win 90-74 over D3 Hamline, only up 5 at half. Only a 16 point win over a D3 school? *This is why most D1 teams, and SDSU and NDSU fans will learn this over time, don't put alot of stock into the margain of victory in these non-conference games. It's basically about getting the win and that's all that matters. I understand that this is all new and exciting playing major D1 schools for the first time but I think fans of both schools are getting a little carried away just because they only lost by X amount of points.
Point well taken but 2 huge exceptions with your post and the game against the gophers.
1. They (the gohpers) didn't dominate inside on either defense or offense.
2. We played most of the first half without our floor general and out rebounded an established Big ten team.
The score at the end of the game was not representative of the entire game as a whole, I feel the outcome very easily could have been different had Woodside not gotten into foul trouble early. Many of the points the gophers had were off of turnovers, we basically handed the game to them on a silver platter. Take out the turnovers and put woodside in for the entire game and you may not be so quick to point the finger and say don't get excited about the final score.

jackrabbit1979
11-21-2005, 02:47 AM
Texas Pan American loses to Illinois by only 12 and had a 10 point lead in the first half. I don't think Illinois is quite as good as some SDSU fans think. *

Bison win 90-74 over D3 Hamline, only up 5 at half. Only a 16 point win over a D3 school? *This is why most D1 teams, and SDSU and NDSU fans will learn this over time, don't put alot of stock into the margain of victory in these non-conference games. It's basically about getting the win and that's all that matters. I understand that this is all new and exciting playing major D1 schools for the first time but I think fans of both schools are getting a little carried away just because they only lost by X amount of points.

Is it just me, or do you contradict yourself by saying the point margin doesn't matter, then say illinois isn't as good as advertised because they only won by twelve ???

Maybe i'm just tired, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Rodentia
11-21-2005, 03:08 AM
It's basically about getting the win and that's all that matters.

No loss is good, but some losses are worse than others. The Margin of victory isn't everything, of course, but playing a respectable game against a tough opponent is good.

So, Texas Pan American lost to Illinois by 12... perhaps Texas Pan American is better than expected. No reason to think that the wheels have suddenly fallen off Illinois.

Bryan
11-21-2005, 04:56 AM
My point wasn't to put down either NDSU or SDSU because I think both schools have bright futures and have represented themselves very well on the national scene, but I just thought some fans we're getting a little ahead of themselves.
You would think a D1 team would beat an average Division 3 team at home by alot more than 16, but now NDSU was in the same position that Minnesota, Illinois, and Kentucky we're in. I doubt this game meant much to NDSU other than to get the win but I'm sure to Hamline that this was the game of the year playing a D 1 school. The final score was probably not a good indictation of the caliber of the two teams.

<Point well taken but 2 huge exceptions with your post and the game against the gophers.
1. They (the gohpers) didn't dominate inside on either defense or offense.>

That was no suprise considering rebounding and post play is the biggest question mark for Minn. this year and like NDSU, they are very young inside and will have problems with that all year.

<2. We played most of the first half without our floor general and out rebounded an established Big ten team.
The score at the end of the game was not representative of the entire game as a whole, I feel the outcome very easily could have been different had Woodside not gotten into foul trouble early. Many of the points the gophers had were off of turnovers, we basically handed the game to them on a silver platter. Take out the turnovers and put woodside in for the entire game and you may not be so quick to point the finger and say don't get excited about the final score. >

I guess we'll agree to disagree becasue there was never a single second in that game where I or any of the people with me thought the outcome was ever in doubt. Woodside is a terrific player, but if you want to play the what-if game, what if Rico Tucker had played. Tucker is by far Minn best athlete and would of caused problems for any NDSU guard. The score at the end just as easily been a 20 point margain, the only difference was which team scored the garbage time hoops in the last few minutes.

I think the future is very bright for NDSU, especially with Vaughn and Suggensuth, who both will be very good.

BisonBacker
11-21-2005, 05:49 AM
I don't disagree with you that we should have beaten Hamlin by a much wider margin. As I pointed out they got alot of 3 point shots (45 to be exact) many of which were nothing more then a miracle. But give credit to them they did not get blown out and it was a learning experience for the Bison just as the game against the gophers was. I said before the game agains the gophers that if we could keep the score within 10-20 points by the end I figured it was a good showing by the Bison not that you ever go out to lose but we or at least most of us live in reality and to expect a team relatively new to DI and starting 3 freshman to go in and beat an established big 10 team is asking alot. But I also think the Bison did prove that they can play at the DI level. Do we have a ways to go absolutely. Will we ever compete with the North Carolina's or the elite teams that consistently make it to the big show, probably not. Can we be a team that can win on any given night, absolutely. If you don't believe that then your not a fan or as a player why would you even play. No athlete plays to lose. Maybe I took something in your post wrong or you didn't intend it to come across that way but I read many of the posts on the gopherhole website and it's one thing to expect to win. Its another thing to act as if the other team doesn't belong on the same court. Bottom line is as fans we can do all the talking we want in the end its what happens on the floor that matters. Did we win against the gophers no. Did we gain any level of respect from any fans or players? I certainly hope so.

Yellow
11-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Men against hamline, im sure they were pretty tired from the game against the gophers, they worked there butts off! Woodside is the real deal. He matched up well against the gophers. Someone from a gopher blog was saying the woodside, being a freshman gaurd, outplayed their 6 year senior gaurd. He is a great player and could be playing with the gophers right now. Glad he is a Bison!

mikelsch
11-21-2005, 04:59 PM
I know it is very early in the season, and a lot can change, but here's my thoughts on the Gopher and Hamline games

Miles and staff have put together a good team that should be competitive throughout the season
Very impressed with Nelson, Winkelman, and Woodside
Impressed with team rebounding and defense

Turnovers are killers...limited ball-handlers besides Woodside, Nelson, and Hahn.
Smith is still adjusting to the DI game and his new team, but should improve over the year...right now forces too much (passing, shooting)

Moormann needs to be more aggessive on offensive, tends to disappear for long stretches of time. Showed flashes of being very good.
Lunde has a nice shot, but also needs to be more aggressive

Obadina is a defensive pest, but tends to get overagressive (fouls) and has a limited offensive game
Riley would have benefitted from redshirting...big transition from HS to DI
Inside scoring threats are limited

Grier saved the Goophs from losing their home opener
Gophers are in for a long season...surprised by their lack of talent
Hamline will be a good DIII team...lots of shooters and hustle

WYOBISONMAN
11-21-2005, 05:25 PM
My thoughts on the MN game....

Woodside will be huge this year, too bad he got into foul trouble.

I too would say the Herd needs to be more aggressive, however the rebounding by the Bison was darn good against the Gophers.

This team is YOUNG and will really mature into a hell of a ball team. I suspect that in a couple of years a Bison BB ticket will be hard to come by.

I am damn impressed with where the Bison BB program is going. Hats off to Tim Miles and company.