PDA

View Full Version : RPI/Sagarin

somebison
12-14-2005, 02:24 PM
NDSU currently 158 in RPI with #84/#100 Manhattan and Idaho St coming to the BSA this week.

In Sagarin NDSU is 165

SDSU is 218 RPI, 282 Sag

WYOBISONMAN
12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Where are you getting the RPI from? *CBS Sprtsline has them at 177.....

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index2

And this one has us at 208.....

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

somebison
12-14-2005, 02:48 PM
http://kenpom.com/rpi.php

WYOBISONMAN
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
It looks like the Mid-Majority report RPI has them at 158 as well.......

http://www.midmajority.com/rpi.php

I never realized how many of these are out there on the web!!

roadwarrior
12-15-2005, 01:45 AM
When are we going to get the wyorpi ?

WYOBISONMAN
12-15-2005, 02:21 AM
When are we going to get the wyorpi ?

Right now........I got the Bison at about #35 ;D

Tatanka
12-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Couldn't resist digging out an old quote...

...All of this seems to beg the questions: is division Iaa really a higher level of competition ... can it reasonably be expected to bring more requisite fan support?

However these questions are answered, it is another matter entirely for most other sports. I understand that NDSU's men's basketball program was pre-season ranked 330th out of 332 teams this year.

Wonder if we'll hear any more analysis of NDSU's RPI from downstream any time soon?

BisonBacker
12-16-2005, 05:53 AM
I don't think they will be commenting on our RPI, especially when they are getting beat beat by Valley City or Crookston or Moorhead State and Mayville. I know one of these teams did get beat by them but in OT and not by much, just don't remember or care which one it was. But given the shambles their bball team is in I don't think we will hear a squeak from them. We'd wipe up the floor with them. ;D

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't think they will be commenting on our RPI, especially when they are getting beat beat by Valley City or Crookston or Moorhead State and Mayville. *I know one of these teams did get beat by them but in OT and not by much, just don't remember or care which one it was. *But given the shambles their bball team is in I don't think we will hear a squeak from them. *We'd wipe up the floor with them. ;D

From lurking around the Sioux board, it sounds like a lot of fans up there think the coach is a "dead man walking"......guess it hurt pretty bad to get thumped by Valley City......the same night the Bison were on TV and giving Minnesota a hell of a game!

mikelsch
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
I have heard that the Mid-Con and Big Sky are quite interested in the early success of both NDSU and SDSU men's and women's basketball teams. Mid-major conferences are concerned about their conference RPI for the sake of post-season tourney selection. Hopefully both schools can put their programs around the 100-150 RPI at season end.

TaTonka_31
12-16-2005, 08:25 PM
What incentive or positive reasons, if any, are there for an established conference to expand?

Doesn't it just reduce the chances for teams already in the conference for winning the conference tournament. That is the only way most mid-major conference teams get into the "The Big Dance".

I sure would like to hear some reasons why they would want to expand.

Bison_Kent
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Blogger,

I had the same thoughts as you on expansion. The main positive that I see is the number of guaranteed games a team will get because they are in the conference.

I have heard that the Big Sky teams have a horrible time getting out-of-conference basketball games, especially at home. Adding four or six more conference games means those teams will have half of those games at home.

I would assume the Mid-Con has similar troubles getting out-of-conference home games and would mean more home games for their respective schools.

Beyond that, I don't see any reason to expand. However, getting more home games could be a very big incentive to grow a conference.

mikelsch
12-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Doug Fullerton said if the Sky went to 12 teams, BBall would play a full 22-game schedule (i.e. 11 home and away games). This would leave only 6 non-conference games to schedule. Coaches, ADs, and Presidents would enjoy the increased stability and financial bottom line.

TaTonka_31
12-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks Bison_Kent, that does sound like a plausible reason to expand.

I have to think that getting teams to Fargo has been a problem for Miles also when he is doing his scheduling.

Getting the home and away rivilries going with a conference is always good for attendance.

Lets hope, this reason is strong enough for someone to make the move to expand.

DenverBison05
12-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Also, if the teams are good enough, it helps raise the RPI to where it is possible to be a 2-bid conference. I know the big sky has never done this, although Im not sure about the mid-con.

JBB
12-16-2005, 10:38 PM
UNC got the BSC invite because the conference was getting too small. They were concerned about maintaining auto bids.

Another reason would be to get a conference up to a number that was easy for scheduling.

There has been some reshuffling in some DI conferences to consolidate better programs and improve travel.

Other than that I cant come up with a reason. As far as the Mid Con goes I have no idea why they might want to expand? The GWFC would like to expand for reason #1.

mikelsch
12-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Higher Conference RPI = increased chance of >1 team making to tourney. See Missouri Valley Conference...had 3 last year...more of a high-midmajor now.

Also, increased conference RPI might mean more berths to the revamped and improved Post-Season NIT starting this March.

JBB
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I see. More conference teams in tournaments = more money for the conference to share.