PDA

View Full Version : BB Recruiting

Trainer
01-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Just came across a BB recruiting snipet so I posted it. I thought some of you might want to read it. I'm beginning to find this year's recruiting quite interesting. Whether it's football or basketball..... The Bison still are mainly recruiting against old Division II foes. Yes, some recruits are drawing Division I attention (Woodside - BB), but most are drawing only DII-III interest. Is this a fact of the transition/probation periods? Or is just coincidence that teams like Winona State are just sending out letters trying to 'shout the moon' for some players? Seems like every FB player in Wisconsin got a letter from Winona State. Just thought I'd throw the question out there.....

From the Sheboygan Press....

Adam Thompson column: Recruiting wears on Keller

It's not always as fun as it sounds, being a highly sought-after college basketball recruit.

Just ask 6-foot-7 Oostburg senior Jimmy Keller.

At the end of his freshman season, when Keller had his coming-out party at the Division 3 sectionals in West Bend, college scouts began keeping an eye on the tall and talented player. After all, you can't teach height.

When Keller's sophomore season began, and the scouts realized that his showing at sectionals was not a fluke, the mail started pouring in.

It hasn't stopped.

Keller said he has received an average of 3-to-4 letters from colleges every day for the last three years.

"I don't even open them anymore," said Keller.

Letters can be avoided, though. Phone calls cannot.

"They still call every night," he said. "I sometimes dread answering the phone, thinking it's going to be another one."

As of now, Keller has received two full scholarship offers from a pair of NCAA Division II schools, Michigan Tech and Minnesota State. North Dakota State, which makes the move to Division I next year, is also very interested. Keller is planning a trip there after the season.

Division II Minnesota-Duluth is also interested, as is DII Augustana (S.D.) and nearly every Division III team that's heard of him.

Keller plans on making a decision after the season is over, which he hopes comes in mid-March after the state tournament concludes.

Until then, the phone will likely keep ringing and the mail will keep coming.

"Other kids don't get to go through this," said Keller. "I guess I'm lucky. I don't know."

silkamilkamonico
01-29-2004, 11:50 PM
~huh, seems like a big name, if he's been well known for the last 4 years......I wonder why its all D3 and D2 colleges....sounds like maybe he peaked young...

BisonMav
02-18-2004, 12:38 PM
O'Connor shows up on the radar for NDSU on TheInsidersRecruiting.com. I did a search on NDSU and Woodside, Lunde and O'Connor come up. This site only list Division I schools and prospects. The Bison are on the list between North Carolina State and North Texas.

Matt O'Connor
Story Search:
All stories on Matt O'Connor

Ht: 6-8
Position: SF
Projected as: SF
Position Rank: JC
Class: Freshman
Junior College: Iowa Western

Biography:
Led St. Albert (IA) High to two consecutive Iowa State Tournament appearances. O'Connor averaged 21 points and 8 rebounds a game a senior and had a career best 33 points and 12 rebounds in the state tournament semi-final game. He is a three time all-city player, twice selected player of the year and first-team All-State. O'Connor was a four year honor roll student and can sign iwth a Division I school and have three years of eligiblity after his freshman campaign.

Schools of Interest:
School Interest Level Offer? Visit Date
American Med Interest Yes None
Bowling Green Med Interest No None
Centenary Med Interest No None
Drake Med Interest No None
Maine Med Interest Yes None
North Dakota State Med Interest No None

JBB
02-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Brent Winkelman scored 36 last night for Morris in a victory over Sauk Center. Rumor is he wants to go to the Gophers as a WR. NDSU is his second choice. U of M is asking him to walk on. He is clearly a step above the competition on the BB court. Morris is 19-2.

BisonMav
02-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Brent Winkelman scored 36 last night for Morris in a victory over Sauk Center. *Rumor is he wants to go to the Gophers as a WR. *NDSU is his second choice. *U of M is asking him to walk on. *He is clearly a step above the competition on the BB court. *Morris is 19-2.

Winkelman would be a great addition to the Bison Basketball program.

BisonMav
02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Current listings from InsidersHoops.com.

PG NR Ben Woodside (Albert Lea A.L.C.)
Albert Lea, MN 5-11/-/- Verbal Yes Committed to North Dakota State

SF NR Brett Winkelman(Morris Area Sec.)
Morris, MN -/-/- Med No North Dakota State

PF NR Tom Lunde(Ulen-Hitterdal Sec.)
Ulen, MN -/-/- Verbal Yes Committed to North Dakota State

SG JC James Ebert(Kirkwood)
Cedar Rapids, IA 6-1/-/- Med No Evansville, Nicholls State, North Dakota State, Pacific

SF JC Matt O'Connor(Iowa Western)
Council Bluffs, IA 6-8/-/- Med No American, Bowling Green, Centenary, Drake, Maine, North Dakota State

BisonMav
03-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Insiders list for NDSU 2005.

Nat'l Rank Nat'l Rating Name (School) Hometown HT/WT/PPG Interest Level Offer? Schools of Interest

SG NR *Travis Brown
(Richfield Sr.)
Richfield, MN 6-4/180/- *Med Yes Creighton, Indiana State, Kansas State, North Dakota State, Valparaiso

SF NR *Andy Wills
(Mankato West Sr.)
Mankato, MN -/-/- *Med No Creighton, Drake, Indiana State, Iowa, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin

PF NR *Travis Nelson
(Linn-Mar HS)
Marion, IA 6-8/195/- *Med No Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, North Dakota State

somebison
03-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Looks like we are competing against some big boys

Kansas State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, :o

roadwarrior
03-12-2004, 12:55 AM
There was an article in the 3/11 startribune about the Gophers BB coach and recruiting. The article quoted the Richfield coach about the lack of attention to his three star players from the Gophers. He did not mention NDSU, but stated other schools such as Iowa State contacted the players before the Gophers contacted them.

JACKGUY
03-12-2004, 02:19 AM
NDSU seems to be much more active than SDSU....I was able to find just one kid from Minnetonka considering SDSU. 6'7 Tom Conboy leads the Minneapolis Metro in scoring at 25points.

JBB
03-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Maybe thats the only Minnesota Kid SDSU likes enough to go after? You guys have a pretty full cupboard. Dont you do a lot in Iowa too? Might not be enough scholies to go around?

JACKGUY
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
We had four first team all-state players from Iowa join us this year. The fifth Landon Scott (all time leading scorer in Sioux City history breaking Kirk Heinrich records) will join the Jacks next year after he spent this year at Iowa Western CC. We have needs at point guard and a center!

NDSU_grad
03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Apparently Sioux City can produce basketball players as well as offensive odors. Ben Jacobson, UNI's best player, is also from there.

Tatanka
03-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Apparently Sioux City can produce basketball players as well as offensive odors.

:o ;D ;D ;D

QFA

BisonMav
03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Bison recruits Lunde and Woodside are on All-Star teams for the Minnesota State All-Star Series. Brett Winkelman and SDSU hopeful Tom Conboy are also in the series. There is a lot of talent in Minnesota, hopefully in the future NDSU can get some of these players and keep them close to home.

BOYS BASKETBALL

All-star games April 2-3: The Minnesota High School All-Star basketball series April 2-3 will include 40 seniors from around the state.

The event, put on by the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association, will be April 2 at St. Cloud State and April 3 at Concordia-St. Paul.

On April 2, a game between the Blue and Green teams will be played at 7 p.m., followed by a game between the Maroon and Gold teams. April 3 games follow the same format and are scheduled for 2:15 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Tickets at the door are $7 for adults and $4 for students (5 and under are free).

The teams were chosen from nominations made by coaches.

GOLD

Coach: Steve Walker, St. James

Players: Mark DeYounge, Mountain Lake-Butterfield-Odin; DeAnte Ferguson, Robbinsdale Armstrong; Matt Fletcher, North Branch; Ryan Gargaro, Hill-Murray; Tyler Kaus, St. James; Matt Lien, Duluth Denfeld; Steve Neal, Minneapolis Patrick Henry; Blake Strouth, Alexandria; Spencer Tollackson, Chaska; Ben Woodside, Albert Lea
MAROON

Coach: Bob Torgrimson, Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton

Players: Ben Bradley, Cambridge-Isanti; Bret Brielmaier, Mankato Loyola; Pat Herzog, Red Wing; JaDee Jones, Hopkins; Tom Lunde, Ulen-Hitterdal; Matt Mathiowetz, Sleepy Eye St. Mary's; Joe Merritt, Mounds View; Everette Pedescleaux, Robbinsdale Armstrong; P.J. Stoe, Elk River; Brett Winkelman, Morris
BLUE

Coach: Dick Ghizoni, Minneapolis Southwest

Players: Ryan Amoroso, Burnsville; Robert Bruesewitz, Litchfield; Tom Conboy, Minnetonka; Dan DeWitt, Centennial; Kirby Jacobson, Ulen-Hitterdal; Greg Johnson, Minneapolis Roosevelt;. Jesse Olberding, Roseville; Curt Schilling, Ellsworth; Matt Standal, Fridley; Miles Webb, Park Center; Matt Storlie, Byron (injured, unable to participate)

GREEN

Coach: Mark Kieffer, Rochester Mayo

Players: Jesse Becker, Osseo; Andrew Boldt, Stillwater; Matt Cadwell, Cretin-Derham Hall; Eric Coleman, Tartan; Mitch Henke, Hopkins; Truc Ho, Mankato Loyola; Mitch Leifert, Fergus Falls; Joe Mews, Faribault; Pat O'Bryant, Blaine; John Vaudreuil, Bloomington Jefferson

Bisonguy
03-20-2004, 03:30 AM
Lunde had a reverse ally-oop tonight on the FOX news highlights. Pretty wicked play by a HS kid. The play should make the WDAY 10:00 news, so you can watch it from the in-forum site.

He should be good for the Bison.

D
03-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Lunde had a reverse ally-oop tonight on the FOX news highlights. Pretty wicked play by a HS kid. The play should make the WDAY 10:00 news, so you can watch it from the in-forum site.

He should be good for the Bison. *

That was pretty nice. I have read a couple places lately (The Forum??) that the Bison plan to redshirt him. I just don't see how that is going to be possible, even with the JUCO big-man I suspect they are going to take with their final remaining scholarship. With only Erbes, Kelchen, and the redshirt Brown, who it has been said is a project, inside, the Bison are in dire need of a mobile 4 or 5 who is athlete. That is where the biggest difference in D1 & D2 is IMO, the athleticism of big men and speed of the guards. I think has too much potential and adds a much needed piece top next year's Bison, I cannot see him being redshirted.

BisonMav
03-20-2004, 03:27 PM
That was pretty nice. *I have read a couple places lately (The Forum??) that the Bison plan to redshirt him. *I just don't see how that is going to be possible, even with the JUCO big-man I suspect they are going to take with their final remaining scholarship. *With only Erbes, Kelchen, and the redshirt Brown, who it has been said is a project, inside, the Bison are in dire need of a mobile 4 or 5 who is athlete. *That is where the biggest difference in D1 & D2 is IMO, the athleticism of big men and speed of the guards. *I think has too much potential and adds a much needed piece top next year's Bison, I cannot see him being redshirted. * *

I don't know if Lunde will be redshirted or not. I looks to me like Coach Miles is planning for the future with a good recruiting class this year. Conference's are not really interested in NDSU for next year. The players may be playing for pride. If NDSU was in a conference, then bring in a Juco. Under the current circumstance's, another Freshman recruit like Winkelman would be nice. If a conference is found in 2 years, then the new recruits will have some seasoning. If a Juco is added next year, he may be gone by the time a conference is found, and the young Bison will have less experience going into the conference.

tony
03-21-2004, 04:09 AM
I figure that Coach Miles will do what's best when it comes to redshirting guys. If Lunde redshirts, he'd be a senior when (hopefully) NDSU has its first shot at making the NCAA tourney.

BisonMav
03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
For anyone in the Twin Cities, Bison Recruit Lunde plays at 3:00pm Wednesday at Williams Arena in round one of the 1A state tourney. *Brett Winkelman, who has NDSU on his short list, plays at 6:00pm Tuesday at Williams Arena in round one of 2A.

KTF
03-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info Bisonmav!!

Bisonguy
03-23-2004, 04:32 AM
There's a feature on the WDAY sports tonight (6:00 and 10:00) on Ulen-Hitterdahl if anybody wants to see two of Lunde's ally-oops. ;D

http://www.in-forum.com/wday/

The 6:00 link is up- go to about 21:00 for the feature.

BisonMav
03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
For anyone in the Twin Cities, Bison Recruit Lunde plays at 3:00pm Wednesday at Williams Arena in round one of the 1A state tourney. *Brett Winkelman, who has NDSU on his short list, plays at 6:00pm Tuesday at Williams Arena in round one of 2A.
Today's Pioneer Press has different days for the games than the Minnesota State High School League Site. The Pioneer Press has Winkelman playing on Wednesday and Lunde playing on Thursday.

BisonMav
03-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Morris lost to Braham 54-29, Winkelman had 14 points.

Andy Wills, possible 2005 Bison recruit, had 24 points as Mankato West defeated Duluth Denfield 57-49.

BisonMav
03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
No trifecta in Bisonville. None of the five finalist for Minnesota Mr Basketball were Bison recruits.

Ben Woodside was selected 1st team All-State by the Pioneer press. Tom Lunde was honorable mention.

Bison_Dan
03-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Tom Lunde will be a work in progress. Needs more quickness and strength. ;D ;D

tony
03-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Story about Michael Nelson (http://www.madison.com/captimes/sports/preps/71217.php)

NDSU_grad
03-30-2004, 07:32 PM
That's a good article. So out of the four incoming recruits, it looks like Woodside may be the only one not red-shirted?

BisonMav
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Any news on Winkelman yet? On the UND board, they say he is going to NDSU.

tony
04-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I looked at the UND site and it is encouraging to see that they think Brett Winkelman is going to NDSU. The late signing period starts on April 14 so I guess we'll know about him then. Not to mention that Luke Moorman is also not official yet.

* Smack Alert * BTW, the grapes must be tasting pretty sour up at Sooville this year based on the comments I was reading. Of course, *they don't have much to write home about yet since their recruiting season doesn't really kick off until after they find out which JUCO players get passed over by DI schools because of poor academics and/or basketball skills.

bballfan
04-02-2004, 06:21 AM
BTW, the grapes must be tasting pretty sour up at Sooville this year based on the comments I was reading. Of course, they don't have much to write home about yet since their recruiting season doesn't really kick off until after they find out which JUCO players get passed over by DI schools because of poor academics and/or basketball skills.

I don't know how cocky I would get if was a NDSU fan about not getting a single JUCO this season. I think next season is going to be pretty rough, with your relative inexperience at guard, lack of a true center, or even a tall front line. I think that Miles would have been smart to turn down one of the guys he's going to redshirt for a JUCO.

BisonMav
04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't know how cocky I would get if was a NDSU fan about not getting a single JUCO this season. *I think next season is going to be pretty rough, with your relative inexperience at guard, lack of a true center, or even a tall front line. *I think that Miles would have been smart to turn down one of the guys he's going to redshirt for a JUCO.

Looks like a great opportunity for some of the current players to step up, and improve their game. I am not against Juco's, but this class may look pretty good in 2-3 years. Depending on what happens with the NCAA rules changes, this class could be the first group that has NCAA eligibility. If NDSU is in a conference in a couple years, such as the Mid-Con or Big Sky, this team could do well with the incoming recruits. Lots of if's, but I have a lot of confidence in Coach Miles.

BisonMav
04-02-2004, 02:51 PM
The insiders has Winkelman committing to NDSU. *;D

Great recruiting class IMO.

SF NR Brett Winkelman
(Morris Area Sec.)
Morris, MN 6-6/-/- Verbal Yes Committed to North Dakota State

NDSU_grad
04-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Hopefully we can get into a conference and see how this class stacks up in two or three years. This has got to be really tough for coach Miles. He's never even been an assistant at a DI school so it's got to be tough to try and guage talent. If this class is good enough to compete in the upper half of a decent mid-major conference, then I would say the future of the Bison men's b-ball program is bright. All these kids are close to home, and IMO we could pull off a class like this every year (in terms of talent, not numbers). Here's the full link for Winkelman from Insiders.http://collegebasketballnews.theinsiders.com/2/248151.html

bballfan
04-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Hopefully we can get into a conference and see how this class stacks up in two or three years. This has got to be really tough for coach Miles. He's never even been an assistant at a DI school so it's got to be tough to try and guage talent. If this class is good enough to compete in the upper half of a decent mid-major conference, then I would say the future of the Bison men's b-ball program is bright. All these kids are close to home, and IMO we could pull off a class like this every year (in terms of talent, not numbers).

No offense about the recruiting class this season, but I seriously doubt that they are good enough to compete in the upper half of a mid-major conference. If they were that good then they probably would have ended up at a mid-major school with tournament hopes, not at conference-less NDSU. From the things I've heard, and this could be wrong, I'm not that up to date on NDSU recruiting, most of these guys were being recruited by D-2 schools. I know that the guys on the UND board were hoping to land Winkleman.

BisonMav
04-04-2004, 04:46 AM
No offense about the recruiting class this season, but I seriously doubt that they are good enough to compete in the upper half of a mid-major conference. *If they were that good then they probably would have ended up at a mid-major school with tournament hopes, not at conference-less NDSU. *From the things I've heard, and this could be wrong, I'm not that up to date on NDSU recruiting, most of these guys were being recruited by D-2 schools. *I know that the guys on the UND board were hoping to land Winkleman.

Lunde, Woodside and Winkelman were rated two stars by the InsidersHoops. Other players from Minnesota with the same ranking were Miles Webb - Committed to Minnesota, Mitch Henke - Santa Clara, Patrick O'Bryant - Bradley, Ryan Gargaro - New Hampshire, Eric Coleman - Northern Iowa, Jadee Jones - Furman, Mike Kinsella - Marquette. A recent UND grade is playing in the UND now. Jerome Beasley must not have been a Division I mid-major quality player because he went to UND, according to your logic. UND should have made the move to Division I.

bballfan
04-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Beasley was a fluke. Absolutely nobody expected him to be that good, and if I remember right he wasn't even DI eligible for some reason, and thats why he was a JUCO before UND picked him up. As for the insiders list, I don't have a lot of faith in it, and I wasn't saying the recriuts were bad, just that they're probably not standout Mid major players.

Bisonguy
04-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Beasley wasn't DI eligible after his JUCO days, either. That's why he ended up at UND. DII was the highest level of college ball he could qualify for.

BisonMav
04-04-2004, 02:08 PM
...... but I seriously doubt that they are good enough to compete in the upper half of a mid-major conference. *If they were that good then they probably would have ended up at a mid-major school with tournament hopes, not at conference-less NDSU. *

I wasn't saying the recriuts were bad, just that they're probably not standout Mid major players.
IMO the NCC was not that far away from being a Mid-Major conference. My point on Beasley was, just because UND wants someone doesn't mean they are DII basketball players.

The insidershoops were not the only ones that thought these players were good. Minnesota Basketball News had Woodside as a top five Minnesota Player and Winkelman on the next five. Lunde was top 100. Lunde, Woodside and Winkelman were on the Mr. Basketball list of 20 players. Pioneer Press had Woodside first team, Winkelman third team, and Lunde Honorable Mention. And next year they will all be Division I basketball players.

In the Minnesota HS All-Star series:

Brett Winkelman of Morris and Steven Neal of Minneapolis Henry won the slam-dunk contests held before each game

Playing with and against other DI recruits:
Winkelman scored 18 for the Maroon team
Lunde 6 for the Maroon.
Woodside had 15 for the Gold team

JBB
04-04-2004, 02:59 PM
No offense about the recruiting class this season, but I seriously doubt that they are good enough to compete in the upper half of a mid-major conference. *If they were that good then they probably would have ended up at a mid-major school with tournament hopes, not at conference-less NDSU. *From the things I've heard, and this could be wrong, I'm not that up to date on NDSU recruiting, most of these guys were being recruited by D-2 schools. *I know that the guys on the UND board were hoping to land Winkleman.

These guys are from a region of the country that has no DI except the Gophers, that means there were only 12 DI spots in the region. A lot of top talent is going to move out. Of course DII schools are going to take a look at a lot of them. Just remember A DI school got them.

bballfan
04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
These guys are from a region of the country that has no DI except the Gophers, that means there were only 12 DI spots in the region. A lot of top talent is going to move out. Of course DII schools are going to take a look at a lot of them. Just remember A DI school got them.

You mean no D-I except for NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Creighton, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas state, Nebraska etc. I think you are still looking at the recruiting area that you had in D-II. A lot of schools to your south are going after the same athletes that NDSU is, which is why I originally asked why they didn't choose to go to a school with tournament eligibility. I could probably accept that they wanted to stay close to home, but are still D-I caliber athletes, but I'm a little suspicous that this is the situation for more than one of them. Lets be real here; if UNI recruited an athlete that NDSU wanted, I think it would be pretty unlikely that NDSU would win the recruiting battle. I guess time will tell how good the class is though.

NDSU_grad
04-05-2004, 10:40 PM
You mean no D-I except for NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Creighton, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas state, Nebraska etc. *I think you are still looking at the recruiting area that you had in D-II. *A lot of schools to your south are going after the same athletes that NDSU is, which is why I originally asked why they didn't choose to go to a school with tournament eligibility. *I could probably accept that they wanted to stay close to home, but are still D-I caliber athletes, but I'm a little suspicous that this is the situation for more than one of them. *Lets be real here; if UNI recruited an athlete that NDSU wanted, I think it would be pretty unlikely that NDSU would win the recruiting battle. *I guess time will tell how good the class is though.
I really can't argue with you there. It does seem odd to me that UNI doesn't recruit southern Minnesota harder. I know they've had some success in getting some good in-state kids (Jacobsen and McCowan in particular) but you would think that the Twin Cities must have a lot of talent. With that in mind, does anybody know if UNI was interested in Woodside at all?

tony
04-05-2004, 11:12 PM
That sounds like sour grapes but, hey, I like a little tartness.

If these guys aren't DI material, then how about the former NDSU players who followed their coaches to E. Washington and Northern Iowa and played in the NCAA tournament? Weren't they DI material when they were at NDSU? I figure this year's recruits have the potential to be better than those guys who left... some of them quite a bit better. NDSU's recruits were also very high (or at the top) of many NCC team's recruiting wish lists... to me, that says they should be competitive in DI. For a long time all I heard was how the level of play in the NCC was comparable to many DI conferences... of course, that was back when this was used as an argument for NDSU staying in DII; even so, I think if these guys would have been prize NCC recruits, it only stands to reason that they have the talent to play DI BB.

I like a bit of sweetness with the sour though. Got plenty of that. Has anybody else noticed that even before NDSU has played a single game as a DI institution, fans of other NCC schools (most notably UND) are tacitly admitting that NDSU is going to have better teams in BB and FB? Claiming that NDSU is better than their team but not so much better that the Bison will be able to compete at the DI level is very weak slam(especially since it slams the slammer harder than the slammee). It's the rhetorical equivalent of hitting your opponent's fist with your own face :)

IMO, NDSU has had a really good start at building a DI program (we'll have to wait a couple years to see how good). In fact, the only real threat to NDSU being very successful in DI is having a bunch of former NCC teams jump up and horn in on SDSU's and NDSU's recruiting. That would not be a good situation for anybody. As hilarious as it would be to see UND do a public 180 on going DI, I hope like heck the rest of the NCC stays in DII forever.

Just my opinion.

D
04-05-2004, 11:59 PM
I really can't argue with you there. *It does seem odd to me that UNI doesn't recruit southern Minnesota harder. *I know they've had some success in getting some good in-state kids (Jacobsen and McCowan in particular) but you would think that the Twin Cities must have a lot of talent. *With that in mind, does anybody know if UNI was interested in Woodside at all?

UNI has hit Minnnesota, and southern Minnesota pretty hard (I am assuming the Twin Cities are considered southern Minnesota haere) as of late. For next year, they have Eric Coleman coming in from Tartan I believe, and had a verbal from Everette Pedesleaux who's from Robbinsdale Armstrong (who played at and lost to Moorhead this year), but he backed out and signed with the Gophs to play football and will play basketball as well. Crawford is there now, and they had Bettendorf from southern Minnesota who graduated a few years ago. This past years success should do wonders for them and would be a great model to follow.

The "knock" on Woodside, from the higher level D1's, were his size and quickness. Not that I have seen him play, but he gets stereotyped being an under 6 foot, white, midwestern PG on the national recruiting scene, sad but true. I know that UNI did not have much interest in him though, for the main reason that they already have, that I can remember, a minimum of 5 FR and SO guards, at least half of which are under 6 foot.

JBB
04-06-2004, 12:30 AM
You can expand the boundries out as far as you want bballfan, the further you stretch it the dumber you are, right? *Keep it to MN, ND and SD. *Dont include the new DI programs - NDSU and SDSU - and you have the Gophers. *

Tony is right, let the best come to the DI schools and rest to the best of the rest.

bballfan
04-06-2004, 03:11 AM
You can expand the boundries out as far as you want bballfan, the further you stretch it the dumber you are, right? Keep it to MN, ND and SD. Dont include the new DI programs - NDSU and SDSU - and you have the Gophers.

Um.... yeah, I guess you're right about the boundaries. I mean all NDSU needs for D-I success is ND, SD, and minnesota. Its not like three of their current prospects are from out of this area. And their current Division II roster definitely doesn't have 9 of the 15 players from outside this region. I mean Nemmers and Kelchen aren't both from Iowa. I guess I just wasn't thinking when I posted that.

The "knock" on Woodside, from the higher level D1's, were his size and quickness. Not that I have seen him play, but he gets stereotyped being an under 6 foot, white, midwestern PG on the national recruiting scene, sad but true. I know that UNI did not have much interest in him though, for the main reason that they already have, that I can remember, a minimum of 5 FR and SO guards, at least half of which are under 6 foot.

I think that Woodside is probably the best recruit this season, simply because he probably does have D-I talent, but was just overlooked because of his size. I was more curious about why Lunde and especially Winkleman weren't recruited more (or maybe they were?). They seem like pretty good players, and have excellent size.

JBB
04-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Winkleman narrowed it down early to UofM or NDSU. The Gophs want him to walk on in football as a WR. Im still not sure if he has committed to NDSU or not. Almost all of the quality players are going to go with a DI program. Every now and then DII will get one but not often. That might explain the lack of recruiting activitiy surrounding these players, at least from your perspective bballfan.

The most reliable way for a DII program to get a quality recruit is to take advantage of DIIs lower academic standards and snag a struggling transfer.

Bisonguy
04-07-2004, 05:53 AM
The insiders has Winkelman committing to NDSU. *;D

Great recruiting class IMO.

It was reported on the WDAY news tonight that Winkelman committed to NDSU.

Great recruiting class, indeed.

D
04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Rivals.com released their final MN class of 2004 rankings. Woodsie was # 10, Winkelman # 13, and Lunde # 18. I'd also expect to see a release from NDSU announcing the signing of Winkelman and Moorman today, being that it is the first day of the late signing period.

BisonMav
04-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Here is the list D was talking about:

Rank Name HT POS Location/School College Choice
1 Spencer Tollackson 6-9 C Chaska, MN (Chaska) MINNESOTA
2 Ryan Amoroso 6-8 P/WF Burnsville, MN (Burnsville) MARQUETTE
3 Mitch Henke 6-6 WF Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins) SANTA CLARA
4 Eric Coleman 6-6 PF Oakdale, MN (Tartan) NORTHERN IOWA
5 Everette Pedescleaux 6-6 PF Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong) MINNESOTA - Football
6 Miles Webb 6-3 2G Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center) MINNESOTA
7 Steve Neal 6-4 WF Minneapolis, MN (Patrick Henry) WYOMING
8 Jadee Jones 6-1 2G Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins) FURMAN
9 Patrick O’Bryant 6-11 C Blaine, MN (Blaine) BRADLEY
10 Ben Woodside 5-11 PG Albert Lea, MN (Albert Lea) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
11 Jesse Becker 5-11 PG Osseo, MN (Osseo) SOUTH DAKOTA
12 Andre Gilbert 6-6 1/2G Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center)
13 Brett Winkelman 6-5 WF Morris, MN (Morris) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
14 Bret Brielmaier 6-8 PF Mankato, MN (Loyola)
15 Ryan Gargaro 6-9 C Maplewood, MN (Hill Murray) NEW HAMPSHIRE
16 Tom Conboy 6-8 P/WF Minnetonka, MN (Minnetonka)
17 Matt Cadwell 6-2 1/2G St. Paul, MN (Cretin-Derham Hall)
18 Tom Lunde 6-8 C/PF Ulen, MN (Ulen-Hitterdal) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
19 Jason Birr 6-4 G/F Mendota Heights, MN (St. Thomas Academy) CONCORDIA-ST. PAUL
20 John Vaudreuil 6-6 PF Bloomington, MN (Jefferson)
21 DeAnte Ferguson 6-5 WF Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong)
22 Tyler Ganz 6-7 WF St. Francis, MN (St. Francis)
23 Andy Stark 6-4 WF Chaska, MN (Chaska)
24 Travis Whipple 5-11 PG Maplewood, MN (Hill Murray) NORTHERN STATE
25 David Dreas 6-1 PG Winona, MN (Winona) ST. CLOUD STATE
26 Tommy Drake 6-5 G/F Eden Prairie, MN (Eden Prairie)
27 Dan Dewitt 6-3 2G Circle Pines, MN (Centennial) NORTHERN STATE
28 Grant Hargett 6-1 1/2G Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong)
29 Adam Chandler 5-9 PG Burnsville, MN (Burnsville)
30 Scott Kelly 6-5 WF Hastings, MN (Hastings)

nickelboy
04-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Rivals.com released their final MN class of 2004 rankings. Woodsie was # 10, Winkelman # 13, and Lunde # 18. I'd also expect to see a release from NDSU announcing the signing of Winkelman and Moorman today, being that it is the first day of the late signing period.

a release? they will have a press conference, a parade, a caravan, wait they are already do that. pretty quiet about the ball games yesterday.

tony
04-14-2004, 08:42 PM
nickelboy, if you must post smack, post it on the smack board please. At least I'm guessing your post is smack - not exactly sure what your point is.

Bison_Dan
04-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Not as quiet as the gf media is on the und softball team. You can throw all the NCC Baseball teams in a hat and pick one out. They are all close in talent. I don't see any und commentments on the list. glas will have another bad year ahead.

JBB
04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the first DII go at #19?

NDSU_grad
04-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the first DII go at #19?

#11, Jesse Becker to USD. What I thought was interesting is that there were DI recruits below our guys.

JBB
04-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks NDSU_Grad.

I found that interesting too. The list is fun because you can really see where the talent cutoff is between the divisions. There are some exceptions and it seems DI reaches down further than DII reaches up. The top 20 are generally DI players. The top 50 would really be interesting.

tony
04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
NDSU's class of 2004 is official, gobison.com has the press release for Moorman and Winkelman up.

It hasn't been mentioned but all five of these guys are extremely good students too.

Best recruiting class ever?

TheAnswer
04-17-2004, 03:50 AM
This may be the best recruiting class ever, but shouldn't it be? NDSU is D1. The question is, are these players D1 players? Yes, great class, but I think it's great if their D2 players. You see the top 13 or so are all other D1 schools, how come they didn't chose NDSU?

I'm just afraid of alot of ugly seasons coming for NDSU and SDSU. Not their fault, just that's the way it will be.

D
04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Here is Rivals.com's MN class of 2005 rankings. Some interesting things on there.

1 Urule Igbavboa 6’8 PF Oakdale, MN (Tartan)
2 Brandon Smith 6’5 G/F Minneapolis, MN (Patrick Henry)
3 Ray Brown 6’6 G/F Richfield, MN (Richfield)
4 Andrew Henke 6’4 WF Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins)
5 Travis Brown 6’1 1/2G Richfield, MN (Richfield)
6 Arden Skoglund 6’10 PF Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins)
7 Courtney Tyler 6’2 1/2G Eagan, MN (Eagan)
8 A.J. Wilson 6’6 WF St. Paul, MN (Concordia Academy)
9 John Krecklow 6’6 WF Blaine, MN (Blaine)
10 Ross Forman 6’7 WF Minneapolis, MN (Patrick Henry)
11 Josh Vaughn 6’3 2G Braham, MN (Braham)
12 Jake Augustine 6’9 P/WF Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center)
13 Nathan Phillips 6’2 1/2G Richfield, MN (Holy Angels)
14 Mike Moberg 6’9 C Maple Grove, MN (Maple Grove)
15 Andy Wills 6’6 WF Mankato, MN (West)
16 Travis Busch 6’4 G/F Arden Hills, MN (Mounds View)
17 David Johnson 6’2 2G Hayfield, MN (Hayfield)
18 San Sussenguth 6’7 P/WF Willmar, MN (Willmar)
19 Xavier Crawford 6’9 PF/C Richfield, MN (Richfield)
20 Walter Haynes 6’3 G/F St. Paul, MN (Johnson)
21 Adam Machones 6’3 2G Duluth, MN (Marshall)
22 Lowrell Anderson 6’10 C Minneapolis, MN (Patrick Henry)
23 Tim Scott 6’2 2G Ely, MN (Ely)
24 Adam Holte 6’10 C Glyndon, MN (Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton)
25 Tom Watson 6’7 PF Edina, MN (Edina)

NDSU has interest in the smaller Brown from Richfield, Wills, and Josh Vaughn that I know of for sure. How the Hell can Adam Holte be on there? Yes, he is 6-11 or whatever, but he has the foot-speed of someone who fought in WWI and the knees of Carlton Fisk. If anyone else has seen him play,they would agree that the kid has absolutely no basketball ability at all. He couldn't even contribute in the MIAA.

BisonMav
04-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Insiders list Travis Brown at 6-4.
Andy Wills also shows up with Medium interest level on Insiders.

NDSU_grad
04-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Didn't Lunde pretty much have his way with Holte when they went head to head? How would Holte's game compare with the tall Nelson kid that played for May-Port a couple years age?

D
04-19-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't even think it a comparison. Holte has no ability at all. All he does is catch the ball deep and turn and take a lay-up. He cannpt do anything for himself offensively. Nelson had agility and could do things, Holte is the last one up the floor the enite game, cannot jump, and is unbelievably clummsy. He is the most hyped brutal player I have ever heard of or seen.

NDSU_grad
04-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks D, I was not impressed when I saw Nelson play as a junior. He was a presence on the defensive end, but was really limiting in offensive skills, and could not should a turnaround jump shot from more than four feet out over much shorter players. I'm not trying to bash the kid, and from what I hear he improved quite a bit since then. Still, I was glad that NDSU didn't offer him. As for the kids that NDSU has an interest in out of Minnesota for 2005, how do you personally think they are in terms of contributing for DI mid-major?

D
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I saw both Vaughn and Wills play in the MN state tourney on TV. *This is simply my opinion, and it is probably off base having seen both play only 1 X, but Wills played mostly with his back to the basket and didn't show much for a perimeter game. *After having seen him play only once I am not sure about him at the D1 level, being only a 6-6 PF. *Vaughn had people gushing though. *His team is unbelievable, with the Dahlman brothers (one a SO last year and the other a FR) both being legit D1 players, the older one more advanced right now and has offers from the Gophs, Iowa, Marquetee, and others. *One of the UND assistants was there and said that Vaughn is quite the player, a great shooter with fairly good size who could also play the point in a pinch. *He would be a shooter in the mold of Ben Nemmers, but with more skill off the dribble then Nemmers.

BisonMav
04-20-2004, 01:51 PM
NDSU_grad,

Have you heard anything about Travis Nelson of Marion, IA. He is listed on the Insiders as having interest in NDSU. 6-8, PF and rated 3 stars by insiders.

NDSU_grad
04-20-2004, 03:03 PM
I actually haven't. Linn-Mar (Marion) won the state 4-A title in Iowa this year, but the kid on that team that everybody talks about is Jason Bohanon, who is only a sophomore. They've been showing the replays of the title game on the local Mediacom channel, so if they show it again I'll watch and make it a point to keep an eye on him. You could also probably go to http://iowapreps.rivals.com/forum.asp, click on the basketball forum and inquire there. You may have to register to post, but I've never posted there so I'm not sure.

D
04-21-2004, 05:25 PM
NDSU is recruiting David Johnson who is #17 on the MN Class of 05 list. *SDSU is after him at this point as well. *I know little about him, but from what I have been told by someone recruiting him he is probably too short and unathletic to cut it as a D1 2 guard. *He was right near the top of the sate in scoring, he may have even lead MN at just over 28 a game. *A real shooter though.

Woodside-Guy
05-06-2004, 10:11 PM
UNI has hit Minnnesota, and southern Minnesota pretty hard (I am assuming the Twin Cities are considered southern Minnesota haere) as of late. *For next year, they have Eric Coleman coming in from Tartan I believe, and had a verbal from Everette Pedesleaux who's from Robbinsdale Armstrong (who played at and lost to Moorhead this year), but he backed out and signed with the Gophs to play football and will play basketball as well. *Crawford is there now, and they had Bettendorf from southern Minnesota who graduated a few years ago. *This past years success should do wonders for them and would be a great model to follow.

The "knock" on Woodside, from the higher level D1's, were his size and quickness. *Not that I have seen him play, but he gets stereotyped being an under 6 foot, white, midwestern PG on the national recruiting scene, sad but true. *I know that UNI did not have much interest in him though, for the main reason that they already have, that I can remember, a minimum of 5 FR and SO guards, at least half of which are under 6 foot.

Woodside-Guy
05-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Woodside led his summer AAU team to a 32-10 record playing for Minnesota Select Gold; He was great at the Nike Kentucky Hoopfest leading his team to first place in the Silver Division. The Gophers found out about him to late in the recruiting picture and Gopher coaches said he was the best guard in the state this year after they saw him, but it was to late to get him. Woodside's first step is like lightning-He'll average 16+ a game from the point guard position for sure with many games at 20-30. His hands are quicker than his feet. Awesome defensively. Bison fans will love this kid; NDSU got a steal, trust me.

BisonMav
05-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Woodside led his summer AAU team to a 32-10 record playing for Minnesota Select Gold; He was great at the Nike Kentucky Hoopfest leading his team to first place in the Silver Division. *The Gophers found out about him to late in the recruiting picture and Gopher coaches said he was the best guard in the state this year after they saw him, but it was to late to get him. *Woodside's first step is like lightning-He'll average 16+ a game from the point guard position for sure with many games at 20-30. *His hands are quicker than his feet. *Awesome defensively. *Bison fans will love this kid; NDSU got a steal, trust me.

Thanks for the inside info, sounds like a great addition to the Bison basketball team.

somebison
05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Bison Pick up NDSCS transfer (http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1238)

Bisonguy
05-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a good find for NDSU. Local JUCO and it appears he's good in the classroom.

Tatanka
05-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Sounds like a good find for NDSU. Local JUCO and it appears he's good in the classroom.
:o You mean that's part of the criteria? Whoa.

Bisonguy
05-19-2004, 03:00 AM
:o *You mean that's part of the criteria? *Whoa.

As a DI institution, NDSU's athletes are now subject to much stricter academic requirements than the small college divisions of the NCAA. ;D

NDSU_grad
05-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Thank god for the elimination of the 5/8 rule. I think Woodside needed a year or two to learn the point, and Hahn should address that need. This looks like a huge get for the Bison.

bballfan
05-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Thank god for the elimination of the 5/8 rule. I think Woodside needed a year or two to learn the point, and Hahn should address that need. This looks like a huge get for the Bison.

What? Lets relax and put this in a little perspective. Its a local JUCO player from North Dakota, not a huge get. No offense to anyone, I'm sure hes a good player, but hes not nearly as good as some of your other recruits this season. I think that Woodsie will probably still play next season, and that this guy is probably going to add some depth.

NDSU_grad
05-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Well, we'll see. My guess is that Hahn will start at point and maybe Woodside will start at shooting guard. A second team All-American in JC isn't too bad.

tony
05-20-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm sure a lot of next year's recruits would be good enough to play, it's just that I'd like to see all five guys redshirt so they have a shot at the NCAA tourney when they're seniors. NDSU is thin at guard so it might not be possible.

BisonMav
05-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Class of 2005, 6 players with interest in NDSU from the insiders.

PF Travis Nelson(Linn-Mar HS)
Marion, IA 6-8/195/- Med No Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, North Dakota State

SG NR Travis Brown(Richfield Sr.)
Richfield, MN 6-4/180/- Med Yes Creighton, Indiana State, Kansas State, North Dakota State, Valparaiso

SG NR Kyle Julius(Naperville Central HS)
Naperville, IL -/-/- Med No North Dakota State

SF NR Andrew Henke(Hopkins Sr.)Minnetonka, MN 6-5/195/9.0 Low No Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin-Green Bay, North Dakota State

SF NR Kori Vernon(Memorial HS)
Madison, WI 6-8/220/14.0 Med No Ball State, Bradley, Idaho, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois, Wichita State, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

SF NR Andy Wills(Mankato West Sr.)
Mankato, MN -/-/- Med No Creighton, Drake, Indiana State, Iowa, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin

BisonMav
05-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Hahn had 20 assists in one game and 8 steals in another.

NJCAA Link (http://www.njcaa.org/schmain.cfm?sid=4&divid=1&gender=m&slid=2&menu=11& schmenu=5&cid=1422&teamid=24978&athleteid=72685&se asonselect=222)

D
05-23-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure how much $$ the Bison have left, but Chris Cornelius, a 6-6 SF/PF from Oak Park-Forrest River HS (IL) and a class of '04 guy visited NDSU the other day. I don't know much about him, other then the fact that he is rated higher then recent SDSU signee Steve Holdren (Cornelius was #44 in Chicagohoops.com's list of IL top 60 SRs, Holdren not ranked) in one listing, which is a pretty reliable site. Based on that alone it can be said that he would be a real good get this late in the process.

bballfan
05-24-2004, 03:13 AM
http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/noname.html

Holdren is 49 in this poll. Theres no way the bison have money left for another full scholie like they would need to give this guy.

BisonMav
05-24-2004, 01:06 PM
http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/noname.html

Holdren is 49 in this poll. *Theres no way the bison have money left for another full scholie like they would need to give this guy. *

There were 5 Seniors on the Bison team last year, plus Aaron Green left. That's 6 possible open scholarships. One more scholarship doesn't sound like a stretch.

Your like may be dated, when I go there and click on 2004 recruits on the left column, Holdren disappears from the list and Cornelius appears at #44.

NDSU_grad
05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I've been thinking about this since D posted yesterday. I assume Nemmers, Cofield, and Jack May were probably all getting full rides. John Banks was probably pretty close to a full ride. I have no idea how much money Adam Witt was getting. But if there were 4 scholarships available from that group and you add the three that are available because of the jump to DI that would be seven available scholarships, which we would need to get this kid.

Bison_Kent
05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
I believe that only 5 players can receive scholorships per one year for basketball at any one DI school and only 8 players over a two year period. This is the 5/8s rule that has gotten a lot of attention lately as many top DI basketball programs lose their recruits after only playing one season because they go to the pro ranks.

Actually, the 5/8s rule benefits mid-major programs as many of these schools get recruits to stay the full four years and the top schools can only get five recruits as a maximum each year.

Bisonguy
05-24-2004, 06:37 PM
The 5/8 rule is history. Look down about six threads in the BB forum for the 5/8 rule thread.

bballfan
05-25-2004, 04:05 AM
Right now NDSU has 13 basketball players for next season, and I think that all of them would have full rides. If I remember right you can't give partials in D-I? (correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not sure, but thats what I remembered from somewhere). Even if thats wrong, it would be tough to justify not upping the current players scholarships to them after they had contributed good time to your program.

Even in the case that you do have money I don't see you taking another player because of team class percentages i.e. You don't want to have 7 of your 13 players graduate at one time. Miles will have enough problems as it is. I would think that both SU's would want to wait to use their additional scholarships for another year or two when they get into a conference and have a better chance at better players.

89rabbit
05-25-2004, 04:09 AM
Right now NDSU has 13 basketball players for next season, and I think that all of them would have full rides. *If I remember right you can't give partials in D-I? (correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not sure, but thats what I remembered from somewhere). *Even if thats wrong, it would be tough to justify not upping the current players scholarships to them after they had contributed good time to your program. *

Even in the case that you do have money I don't see you taking another player because of team class percentages i.e. *You don't want to have 7 of your 13 players graduate at one time. *Miles will have enough problems as it is. *I would think that both SU's would want to wait to use their additional scholarships for another year or two when they get into a conference and have a better chance at better players.

You are correct no partials in D-I and 13 is the maximum amount of scholarships.

BisonMav
05-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Even in the case that you do have money I don't see you taking another player because of team class percentages i.e. *You don't want to have 7 of your 13 players graduate at one time.
If all 7 were in the same class it would be a problem. *1 is a Juco, and from what we have heard, some of the 5 incoming freshmen may be redshirted. *If you get another recruit and split it, 3 freshmen and 3 redshirt freshmen for next year. *

BisonMav
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Interesting to read this thread from back when the Fab Five was recruited.

tony
01-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Interesting to read this thread from back when the Fab Five was recruited.

Good grief, was I jackass in some of the posts! Hehehe, I think I let some UND folks get under my skin with their comments about NDSU's recruits - I might have to do a search on SiouxSports to see what had me in such a lather.