PDA

View Full Version : Media Coverage

tony
01-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Thought it would be cool to list some of the headlines and quotes:

"After taking Wisconsin for a ride Saturday, North Dakota State has carved out a spot on the college basketball map." - EPSN

"A funny thing happened to No. 15 Wisconsin when it played at home against North Dakota State. Well, maybe not so funny if you're a Badgers fan." - Fort Worth Star Telegram, TX

"The Gophers have one fewer victory against Big Ten competition than North Dakota State..." - Star Tribune, MN

"North Dakota St. Upends No. 15 Wisconsin" - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, IA

"North Dakota State went to Wisconsin and shocked the No. 15 Badgers" - Dallas Morning News , TX

"Congrats to the North Dakota State men's basketball team for beating No. 13 Wisconsin." - Stockton Record, CA

"Wisconsin stunned at home" - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, IN

"Badgers buckle in shocker" - Chicago Tribune, IL

"North Dakota State shocks No. 15 Wisconsin" - News Tribune, *WA

"Ex-Albert Lea High School and Minnesota Select team guard Ben Woodside, who would have liked to have been offered a basketball tender from University of Minnesota, scored 24 points as a freshman for North Dakota State in the Bison's monumental 62-55 upset of No. 15 Wisconsin in Madison on Saturday." - Pioneer Press, MN

"Bison shock Badgers at home." - Pioneer Press, MN

"On a day when Wisconsin lost to North Dakota State at the Kohl Center and Duke lost to Georgetown, anything seemed possible." - *Gary Post Tribune, IN

"No gimmes for Badgers" - Chicago Sun-Times, IL

"North Dakota State deals Wisconsin a rare loss at home" - Aurora Beacon News, IL

"Bison shock cold-shooting Badgers" - Kansas City Star, MO

"Wisconsin loses to whom?! Where?!" - Indianapolis Star, IN

"UW men's basketball notes: Bison rough up Tucker" - Wisconsin State Journal, WI

"Men's Hoops: Wisconsin loses to N. Dakota St." - Seattle Times, WA

"North Dakota St. Beats No. 15 Wisconsin" - Hartford Courant, CT

"NDSU upsets Badgers" - Sioux Falls Argus Leader, SD

"Wisconsin loses to North Dakota State at home" -
Charlotte Observer, NC

"North Dakota St. Ends Wisconsin's Home Win Streak" -
Los Angeles Times, CA

"Badgers lose to unlikely opponent" - Chippewa Herald, WI

"MAYHEM IN MADISON" - Fargo Forum, ND

"As if this weren't upsetting enough, North Dakota State surprised No. 15 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis., snapping the Badgers' 27-game winning streak at home against nonconference opponents." - Arizona Republic, AZ

"Wisconsin shocked at home" - Knoxville News Sentinel, TN

"North Dakota snaps Wisconsin's 27-game streak" -Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, PA

"North Dakota State stuns No. 15 Badgers in Madison" -
Minneapolis Star Tribune, MN

"North Dakota State (11-9) played its third game in five days but showed no signs of wear, shooting 50% and twice turning back UW comeback attempts to post a landmark victory for the Bison program." - Journal Sentinel, WI

---------------------------------------

For all the complaining I hear about the Forum/WDAY - who was the only TV station in North Dakota to have a camera crew there? Who was the only paper to have reporters there?

Heck, look around the state. The Grand Forks Herald chose to run a series on Northern Iowa's BB program and did not write a single thing about NDSU's win - heck, they couldn't even be bothered to change their corporate-supplied headline. The Bismarck Tribune only included the box score in their "Area Capsules" , sandwiched between that of a semi-pro team's and UND's. But it doesn't matter.

The rest of the state is only going to come around after NDSU does a whole lot more to prove itself, but I don't think that after this, non-Fargo media outlets in North Dakota are going to be able to pretend that NDSU is not an important North Dakota's sport story - and if they do, it doesn't matter because most sports fans have ESPN and they can always get a subscription to the Forum.

SDbison
01-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the summary of quotes, etc. Tony. Also, agree with your comments and can't believe how some in North Dakota can't accept or acknowledge yesterday's success. In some ways the national media better accepted the amazing story of a relatively unknown team with four starting freshmen that beat a highly ranked Big Ten program with a winning tradition. I have a feeling many of those who don't want to hear about it have ties to UND.

BisBison
01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Thought it would be cool to list some of the headlines and quotes:

The Bismarck Tribune only included the box score in their "Area Capsules" , sandwiched between that of a semi-pro team's and UND's. But it doesn't matter.

Actually Tony in today's print edition of the Bismarck Tribune their sports section headline across the entire first page reads NDSU stuns Wisconsin in 62-55 upset. The article continues on page 5 with about a third of the page devoted to the Bison. *;D

99Bison
01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
btw, nice to be on the espn.com home page...

:-) :-)

Rodentia
01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
And having been noticed by the entire country, I expect that people are still going to be keeping an eye on the Bison the rest of the year. People who only heard of NDSU just now are going to be curious what's up?

tony
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
That's good to hear about the Bismarck Tribune because, no offense to the Forum, the Bismarck Tribune is my favorite North Dakota paper! They actually write about North Dakota as if its part of the West rather than a suburb of Minneapolis.

ndfan
01-22-2006, 05:44 PM
A good portion of last night's Fighting Sioux basketball pre-game show was dedicated to talking about NDSU's huge win. Nothing but GREAT things were said about the Bison. We noticed up here. NDSU's win is the lead story on the Herald's web site.

SDbison
01-22-2006, 05:54 PM
This is still tops on ESPN's college mens basketball front page under ESPNEWS HEADLINES:
Badgers Dumped by Independent
North Dakota State, in the midst of moving from D-II to D-I, was not expected to give No. 13 Wisconsin much trouble. But as Andy Katz writes, not only did NDSU put up a fight, the Bison turned in the biggest upset on an upset-laden Saturday. Story | Recap

Bisonguy
01-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Sometimes the online versions of the papers don't have all the articles the print version does, and sometimes the push on some stories doesn't come across on the online version.

Anyhow- great job by The Forum today-

A big 'Mayhem in Madison' across the top, a huge photo of the team after the game, Kolpack's and McFeely's articles, the series record, plus another small photo, just on the front page of sports! The only non-Bison portion of the front sports page was a two inch high banner across the bottom on the NFL conf. championship preview inside. Inside, there was about another page and two-third devoted to the game.

Good job Jeff and Mike! You've set the bar higher once again. Everyone now expects that level of coverage with every Bison win. ;D

Here's some other quotes that were in The Forum-

"This is the upset of the day.....I don't know what you can say." ESPN Studio Analyst, Doug Gottlieb

"No your computer is not broken, the Badgers lost to the Bison 62 to 55" -Madison.com game story from the web site of Madison TV station KMTV.

tony
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
WARNING: I'm stirring the pot.

No offense to UND fans or their athletes, who are generally about as classy as they come, but the Grand Forks Herald... not so much.

Anyway, about the Herald, yeah, for a while they had he Gannett*-written story on their home page with the Gannett-written headline. Here's how you find a story on the Bison win now:

1. Go to home page
2. Click on sports.
3. Look for "Top of the News" section and scan past the four stories on Northern Iowa, the one on prep wrestling, etc until you get to link "More."
4. Click on "More."
5. Scroll past 8 or so stories until you get to the headline "Bison top Badgers". If you click on that, you get a Gannett-written summary - all of 79 words.

Hehe, of course, I'm just stirring the pot a little because their website, like the Bismarck Tribune's, is probably an automated deal and they don't want to give away too much content.

* If Gannett no longer owns the Herald, substitute in the name of whatever mega-news-corps now does.

Bison_Pride
01-22-2006, 06:52 PM
For all the complaining, WDAY and the Forum sometimes do a pretty good job. I went to all the network affiliate sites in Madison on the net and could not find any link to the newscasts like Forum Communications does. That is a nice thing to have.

Tatanka
01-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by the local coverage. The story led off every local newscast (not just the sports, but the newscast) and WDAY and the Forum did themselves proud with their coverage. (next time maybe they'll actually TELEVISE the damn thing!!!).
Even the Sioux homers on 11 & 15 seemed to be excited about the victory. UND's scores were relegated to the "afterthought" category (even the Cobbers got highlight time) and you can't deny the national exposure (all morning at about 20 & 50 after the hour ESPNEWS ran highlights of the game).

Nice job local media. I'm not at all surprised that the fish wrap up in GF didn't have much on the win... I'm also curious as to what PatS weeney's weekend replacement had to say on WDAZ, if anything... But right now I'm just proud to be a Bison fan.

Balinde
01-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Nice summary of all the headlines. I would also like to mention some of the things that really caught my attention. When watching Duke/Georgetown on CBS and it became a final in Madison they paused to show the score and Sports Illustrated's Seth Davis called it "the biggest upset of the year." Or on College Gameday Dicky V: "They are going to be partying on the campus in Fargo." Or Jay Bilaas: "Nobody does it better than Winkelman." Or Rick Pitino to his Louisville team before playing UConn: "Three words: North Dakota State."
Just something to think about.

Tatanka
01-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice follow-up article on ESPN.com:

North Dakota St. revels after stunning Badgers (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2302116)

Hang on, just want to say this one more time: "Nice follow-up article on ESPN.com". Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh. Tatanka likey! 8)

Tatanka
01-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Nice quote by Dr Joe and Gene Taylor:

"Our phones have just been ringing off the hook with calls from alumni, fans and friends," Chapman said. "And people outside the university want to know where these Bison come from and who they are."

School officials were criticized when they made the jump to Division I two years ago. The Bison still don't have a conference and aren't eligible for the NCAA basketball tournament until 2009. The move caused hard feelings throughout the state, because it broke up a long rivalry with Division II University of North Dakota.

"It was a challenging move and not everyone was on board with it," Taylor said. "But you look at all the interest throughout the country in this win over Wisconsin. You cannot put a price on that exposure for the athletic program and the university."

Indeed, you cannot.

GO BISON!!!

Yellow
01-22-2006, 10:25 PM
I wonder if fundraising will pick up after this kind of win? I sure hope so

D
01-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Heck, look around the state. The Grand Forks Herald chose to run a series on Northern Iowa's BB program and did not write a single thing about NDSU's win - heck, they couldn't even be bothered to change their corporate-supplied headline. The Bismarck Tribune only included the box score in their "Area Capsules" , sandwiched between that of a semi-pro team's and UND's. But it doesn't matter.

The rest of the state is only going to come around after NDSU does a whole lot more to prove itself, but I don't think that after this, non-Fargo media outlets in North Dakota are going to be able to pretend that NDSU is not an important North Dakota's sport story - and if they do, it doesn't matter because most sports fans have ESPN and they can always get a subscription to the Forum.

Actually, there is a story about the Bison win right next to the Benny Jac and Mac story on the front page of the sports above all Sioux stories, and the story is just as large if not larger then the stories on both Sioux baketball games.

roadwarrior
01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
A follow up article posted today on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2302116

MinotBison
01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Great coverage indeed.

"Bison pull off huge upset...." was the headline in the Minot Daily News sports section.

It's a great feeling to win one like this, but let's make sure that we don't let any of our remaining opponents upset us the way we upset the Badgers.

kchats
01-23-2006, 04:57 AM
Three new stories on Bison Zone about the Bison basketball team. You need a subscription to read them but there is a story about Tim Miles getting national attention, Tom Lunde having post concusion syndrom (possibly career threatening), and Erv Inniger and fundraising (Roadwarrior is mentioned in the article as well). Since you have to be a subscriber I won't post the links.

Bisonguy
01-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Three new stories on Bison Zone about the Bison basketball team. *You need a subscription to read them but there is a story about Tim Miles getting national attention, Tom Lunde having post concusion syndrom (possibly career threatening), and Erv Inniger and fundraising (Roadwarrior is mentioned in the article as well). * Since you have to be a subscriber I won't post the links.

The Bisonzone articles don't require a subscription (they just are articles from The Forum in another spot)-

So, here they are-
Lunde's Future in Doubt (http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=115287)
National spotlight finds Miles
(http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=115288)
NDSU’s big win has wide-ranging effect (http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=115291)

Also, don't forget Tim Miles on Cold Pizza, on ESPN2 Tuesday at 9-11AM CST.

Bison08
01-23-2006, 05:19 AM
WARNING: I'm stirring the pot.

No offense to UND fans or their athletes, who are generally about as classy as they come, but the Grand Forks Herald... not so much.

Anyway, about the Herald, yeah, for a while they had he Gannett*-written story on their home page with the Gannett-written headline. Here's how you find a story on the Bison win now:

1. Go to home page
2. Click on sports.
3. Look for "Top of the News" section and scan past the four stories on Northern Iowa, the one on prep wrestling, etc until you get to link "More."
4. Click on "More."
5. Scroll past 8 or so stories until you get to the headline "Bison top Badgers". If you click on that, you get a Gannett-written summary - all of 79 words.

Hehe, of course, I'm just stirring the pot a little because their website, like the Bismarck Tribune's, is probably an automated deal and they don't want to give away too much content.

* If Gannett no longer owns the Herald, substitute in the name of whatever mega-news-corps now does.

FYI: Knight Ridder owns The Grand Forks Herald. I don't believe Gannett ever did. Knight Ridder, by the way, is contemplating the sale of its papers, though speculation has it that the company is mainly concerned about dumping its unprofitable larger papers such as The Philadelphia Inquirer. Who knows, The Herald may have a new owner before too long.

Yellow
01-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Tim miles is going to be on cold pizza? What is that going to be all about? Makes me nervous

Bisonguy
01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Tim miles is going to be on cold pizza? What is that going to be all about? Makes me nervous

Watch, or record and watch the show and find out.

Bison_Pride
01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Coach Miles is supposed to be on 790 AM, KFGO news and views with Joel Heitkamp, sometime this morning.

BisonMav
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
NDSU winner of a Dick Vitale weekly award
Vitale Awards Link (http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/060123Vitaleweeklyawards.html)

SHOCK OF THE WEEK: North Dakota State over Wisconsin
Maybe this was the shock of the season. The Bison, moving to Division I, entered the game 10-9. North Dakota State was coming off a loss to Utah Valley State. Wisconsin came in 67-3 at home under Bo Ryan, so this looked like cupcake city. Think again as the Bison, with a $35,000 guarantee, pulled off a 62-55 shocker. The Badgers shot 22 percent from the floor and the combination of Alando Tucker and Kammron Taylor, normally reliable, combined to shoot eight-of-42 from the floor. Freshman guard Ben Woodside scored 24 points for the Bison.

Bison_Pride
01-23-2006, 05:08 PM
NDSU is a perfect media darling. A small, rural university with nice people, and who play their guts out on the floor. A few more nice wins and we could get used to this type of coverage.

Talu
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
From The Capital Times newspaper:

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/index.php?ntid=69847&ntpid=0

Bison_Pride
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Can anyone get this to play? I am having trouble with it, no sound, choppy picture.

Go to Badger Sports Report and then to 1/22/06-Basketball M

http://www.uwbadgers.com/audio_visual/

DIBISON
01-23-2006, 05:43 PM
USA Today print edition had a couple of paragraphs about the Bison win being the biggest upset of the weekend in their college basketball roundup article.

BisonMav
01-23-2006, 06:27 PM
From The Capital Times newspaper:

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/index.php?ntid=69847&ntpid=0

A lot of Gophers fans are giving their love to the Bison.

The AP reported that when the Bison stopped at a Minneapolis restaurant on their trip home they got a reception normally reserved for rock stars. Their victory was announced over the intercom. "And the people in the restaurant were clapping and cheering for us," Nelson said. "It was the best day of everybody's life."

roadwarrior
01-23-2006, 06:40 PM
They stopped to eat at Champps, where the big screen TVs are turned to the sports channels all day. So all of the patrons were well aware of the outcome already.

NanoBison
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
I may have missed it earlier, but the Bison are the top story under College Hoops on the Sports Illustrated Site. Anyways, congratulations to the team. That was quite a win, and I think now most opponents of the move up to D1 will now be silenced. Here is the link to the site :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/

TheDoctor
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
That is the nicest piece I have seen yet! ;D

roadwarrior
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Monday's print edition of the StarTribune has three items in the sports section:

on top left of page 2: a pic of Ben Woodside with his hand in the face of a Wisconsin player shooting the ball

in a writer's column on page 2: a paragraph talking about the win, but noting that Gopher fans should be concerned that the Bison have a win against the Big Ten and they dont. Also that we recruited Woodside and the Gophers passed on him.

the story written by Dave Kolpack that appeared on several websites yesterday talking about the bus ride back to Fargo with the stop in Mpls for dinner.

coloradobison
01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
In today's Denver post, there is an article talking about the 2-20 UNC Bears team, which makes reference to NDSU's vicotry over Wisconsin.

NDSU4U2NV
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I have the sports package on direct tv, and on the YES network they carry a WFAN sports talk show called Mike and The Mad Dog. Mike Francesa and Chris Russo Host the show, they were talking about the upsets in college hoops, and mentioned the NDSU win. Unfortunatly they did not elaborate. Just kind of cool I thought.

NDSU4U2NV
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
NDSU also made PTI's, "The Big Finish".

BisonCountry
01-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Woodside is going to be on KFAN 1280AM @ 6:20.

Edit: They just announced he was getting bumped until later in the hour, but were still hoping to get him on.

NDSU4U2NV
01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
NDSU was #5 "In case you missed it" from over the weekend, on the 5 PM Sportcenter.

BisonCountry
01-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Woodside is going to be on KFAN 1280AM @ 6:20.

Edit: They just announced he was getting bumped until later in the hour, but were still hoping to get him on.

Link to Listen to KFAN...should be on in the next 1/2 hour.
http://go.eonstreams.com?u=819224

Bisonguy
01-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Link to Listen to KFAN...should be on in the next 1/2 hour.
http://go.eonstreams.com?u=819224

And miss Tim Miles on Bison Feedback on WDAY-AM??

BisonCountry
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
And miss Tim Miles on Bison Feedback on WDAY-AM??

Ok....we'll call it multi-talkradio'n

SDbison
01-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Was Woodside already on KFAN?

TheDoctor
01-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Talking about Kobe right now

TheDoctor
01-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Just got off the phone with them. Dan Burero?? did it at about 6:30. The guy I talked to said I was the 3rd to call about it. He was going to have it put out on the net archived. Hope he does. ::)

BisonCountry
01-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Was Woodside already on KFAN?

Yes he was and he did an excellent job...

Interview touched on game/game atmosphere, how he ended up at NDSU, if he was trying to make a statement to Gophers for not recruiting him harder, etc...

To summarize his response....

Loves Fargo. Loves NDSU. Loves Teammates. Loves Miles and Coaches.

Gully
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
I agree, he did a great job on the interview. Danny B gave him several opportunities to take shots at the Gophers but he just kept talking about Fargo, his coach, and his teammates.

I still can't believe Kobe scored 81, I thought it was a KFAN joke at first.

SDbison
01-24-2006, 02:03 AM
Here is a link to Taylor and Miles on hot talk this morning.

javascript:popUp('http://www.in-forum.com/av/index.cfm?id=6233&type=tvscript',350,600);

NDSUstudent
01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know if this link has been posted or not but here is a link to the Tim Miles interview on ESPN gamenight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2449#

The link to the interview is right under the first headline, "North Dakota St. revels after stunning Badgers."

The link is titled "good problem"

bisonmike
01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
we got a great shout out by Dickie V on Mike and Mike this morning!

insane_ponderer
01-24-2006, 11:58 PM
so i happened to grab the pitt news (the campus paper) today and was paging through it, and of course they had a full page article on carl krauser and pitts win against syracuse last night, but the other page had two very interesting things on it..

1. a beat the pitt news basketball experts, which consists of 4 guys picking 10 of this weeks "big" games mixed with a few of the local/conference games. the #9 game of the week that they were picking is NDSU vs. Furman and it was split 2 for NDSU 2 for Furman...which i thought was absolutely hilarious, but proves that we made people notice, and care.

2. a numerical nonsense statistical triva section which had a part that mentioned 9 freshmen on the NDSU team that upset then-No. 13 (ESPN/USA Today poll) wisconsin. NDSU playing its first-ever Division I schedule, beat the Badgers 62-55 in Madison.

as well as listing that wisconsin fell 10 spots to #23 after the loss

right next to that was a 5"-8" add for the pitt news website and above it it said "Because we would have dropped Wisconsin out of the Top 25."

thought it was pretty sweet that we were getting press in the University of Pittsburghs campus paper :)

scottheck
01-25-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't know if this link has been posted or not but here is a link to the Tim Miles interview on ESPN gamenight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2449#

The link to the interview is right under the first headline, "North Dakota St. revels after stunning Badgers."

The link is titled "good problem"

Interesting to note the standings of the independents on this page. NDSU 1 of 2 with a winning record...

mikelsch
01-25-2006, 03:59 PM
ESPN radio was still talking about the NDSU last night around 11:30. They had Joe Lunardi on (the guy who authors Bracketology on espn.com). He was talking about teams that would fill the final at-large spots in the NCAA tourney. There was some humor involved, but he said he would take NDSU over Oklahoma State and some of the Missouri Valley teams. Partly because of the buzz that NDSU has generated. He said NDSU is this year's darling of college basketball.

TAILG8R
01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I alos heard late last night on ESPN just a quick comment about the NDSU game last night and how they continued their winning ways. Mention coach Miles and talked about NDSU for a few minutes.

Also just heard on PA and Dubay (KFAN Twin Cities) that they would like to have either coach Miles or a member of the team on once every week to chat about NDSU basketball.

I think if they lose last night, the only mention they get is how they fell on their face. Continue the winnings ways and I wouldn't be surprised to hear the NDSU score brought up continueally in the national media.

Fun times!

Bisonguy
01-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I alos heard late last night on ESPN just a quick comment about the NDSU game last night and how they continued their winning ways. Mention coach Miles and talked about NDSU for a few minutes.

Also just heard on PA and Dubay (KFAN Twin Cities) that they would like to have either coach Miles or a member of the team on once every week to chat about NDSU basketball.

I think if they lose last night, the only mention they get is how they fell on their face. Continue the winnings ways and I wouldn't be surprised to hear the NDSU score brought up continueally in the national media.

Fun times!

The exposure in the Minneapolis market would be huge!!!

SDbison
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I also heard another reference to NDSU during the Iowa - Indiana game last night. *About midway through the second half Musberger commented on the Big Ten conference race and said something like, "Wisconsin got upset by the Bisons. *It was the Bisons, correct? *Well every team is entitled to one mulligan per season." *
I may not have worded it exactly, but he did say Bisons twice and referred to a mulligan. *Not sure if this was a compliment, but it shows that NDSU is still in the mind of many due to the win at Wisconsin. *
One other thing. *Here at work in Sioux Falls I have had many people bring up NDSU's basketball team and say good things........mostly from Jackrabbit fans. *Think of how much publicity and recognition NDSU has received due to this one game. *It is hard to quantify. *I just hope some level of attention higher than before is maintained. *This could be huge for future recruiting and more media coverage of games, etc. *Exciting times!

TheDoctor
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Congrats Bisonguy- you just hit 5g's!!!! Very impressive! ;)

SDbison
01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah bisonguy, your total number of posts is huge! I am not worthy.

WYOBISONMAN
01-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah bisonguy, your total number of posts is huge! *I am not worthy.

Shit........I am in lousy 3rd place in the post race!! ;)

silkamilkamonico
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM

I agree completely.

That game last night was so important on so many levels. *I don't know if we'll continue to get exposure the rest of the way, probably not, but that loss would only have brought out negative exposure. *

The win, to some degree, valididates the win over Wisconsin. Just the simple fact that instead of the Wisconsin game being a huge "mulligan", NDSU is a good strong team that is capable of playing well night in and out.

NDSUstudent
01-26-2006, 06:27 AM
from Kyle Whelliston's blog on ESPN.com

• Ben Woodside, the star of RPI No. 148 North Dakota State's win over RPI No. 3 Wisconsin on Saturday, did it again. In front of 3,500 happy home fans Tuesday night, the 6-0 redshirt freshman went 7-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-9 from 3-point land, his 23 points helping lead his team over Idaho of the WAC, 71-64. The Bison now get back on the bus (so to speak) to go visit Furman, currently tied for first in the Southern Conference's South division.

He also wrote this yesterday

K-Dub's krazy fact of the day
In the past 60 hours, there have been speechless recaps, epic doggerels and wandering nomadic minstrels celebrating North Dakota State's shock 62-55 win at Wisconsin. ESPN commentators were breathlessly calling North Dakota State their new favorite team, even though very few people have even seen tape of this contest, aside from the scratchy camcorder footage the scouts use.

But I'm going to tell you exactly how krazy this game was. Remember back on Friday, when we talked about winning on the road despite getting no breaks from the officials? No? It's OK, just scroll down. Anyway, it happened here: NDSU had more fouls than Wisconsin (22 to 21), had fewer resulting foul shots (26 to 24), but still won with seven points to spare.

Furthermore, the Bison had possession of the ball 70.4 times in this game, and managed to turn it over no fewer than 22 times. Of 172 Division I teams that played on Saturday, that 31.3 percent was the sixth-worst turnover rate of any squad anywhere. Outrebounding their power-conference foes 43-36 helped, but it was Wisconsin's 22 percent field-goal percentage that did it -- UW simply wanted to beat itself more than NDSU did. (If the Bison shot themselves in the foot with their turnovers, the Badgers shot themselves in the hand with their jumpers.)

It should be noted that of those five teams who turned the ball over at a worse rate than NDSU on Saturday, two also won -- and on the road no less. Winthrop (34.9 percent) beat High Point 71-68 and Ohio (31.7 percent) beat Toledo 71-68. Which goes to show you ... Saturday was just a weird day all around.

Bisonguy
01-26-2006, 07:25 AM

LOL- I didn't even notice- put in a 17 hour day at work, slept in past noon, and looked over the board quickly. ;D

NDSU34
01-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi all you Bison fans long time fan first time on the board.
Just to give you guys some info. Listning to the local sports channal in Las Vegas and I couldnt believe it the wise guys were talking about the NDSU basketball win over Wisconson and how they thought they shoud be allowed to play in the NIT. I was like damn the bookies are talking about NDSU, and putting them on the boards when there playing, thats some high profile when your team is on the boards in the casinos.

Herd_Mentality
01-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Man, I love seeing all the mention of NDSU in all the Wisconsin/Penn State recaps...

Here's another article on the rules of storming the court...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2306416

The Bottom Feeder Principle (13): If you're North Dakota State, still on the D-I taxi squad, and you shock Wisconsin? Go crazy. Even if it's a road game. Break into the home gym and storm that sucker.

gwendel
01-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Here's an interesting angle:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/012606abr.html

TheDoctor
01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Will they ever stop writing about us?

sambini
01-26-2006, 10:38 PM
North Dakota State University IS NOW THE OFFICIAL TEAM OF THE PA AND DUBAY KFAN RADIO SHOW.

RedRiver
01-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Is that the station Hallstrom referred to last night on Further Review, about one Minneapolis radio station "adopting" the Bison and having updates from Fargo once a week?

Gully
01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
North Dakota State University IS NOW THE OFFICIAL TEAM OF THE PA AND DUBAY KFAN RADIO SHOW.

That's classic. People at work were talking about this today.

I had 3 or 4 people "congratulate" me on the Bison win at Wisconsin. I laughed and said, "well, it's not like I played the game". It definetly has created a buzz.

westriverbison
01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
ESPN The Bottom Ten - More love for the Bison

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?week=12&pollId=3&season=2006

WYOBISONMAN
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Note that in week 9 of the "Bottom 10" soon to be Big Sky Northern Colorado is in there.....And Fullerton wants the RPI of the Sky to go UP?? ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?week=9&pollId=3

(They are also in there in week 8 and 5 too....)

basketballer
01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Northern Colorado isn't going to be competitive until:

1. They get a new coach.
2. They get a new arena

It's a shame at how bad that team is. Look at what Metro is doing down the road with Dunlap as a coach. They would absolutley destroy the Bears most years, even though their down a bit this season.

Yellow
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I dont know what i would even do if ndsu's football team and basketball team did as poorly as the bears did. The fans must be just depressed as all heck, i know i would

DIBISON
01-28-2006, 07:05 AM
From Friday's edition of the USA Today in the DI women's basketball roundup:

No. 12 Minnesota 79, North Dakota State 70: Jamie Broback scored a career-high 33 points, all but eight in the second half, to lead the Gophers (14-4, 7-1) past the stubborn BISON.

bisonmike
01-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I really hope all this exposure pushes EA sports to add NDSU to ALL of their college sports video games.

Gully
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I really hope all this exposure pushes EA sports to add NDSU to ALL of their college sports video games.

Yes, I will have a big smile the first time I can play college football on my Xbox without having to create NDSU as a team.

jjbluecw
01-28-2006, 08:01 PM
The announcers were talking about NDSU just now during the Wiscy-Mich game. Said NDSU is still celebrating the big win. :)

silkamilkamonico
01-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, I will have a big smile the first time I can play college football on my Xbox without having to create NDSU as a team.

You too? The first thing I do every NCAA release is create the Bison.

I don't think they will ever be added to the PS2/XBOX because of memory (unless they get into a fully fledged conference) but I would think they will be in the next generation systems.

Don't know if I'll get one of those though, because NCAA is the only game I play.

RedRiver
02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Coach Miles was on the PA & Dubay show today on KFAN. They have proclaimed NDSU as the official college basketball team of their program.

It was a great 20 minute discussion covering the Bison's recent schedule, the benefits of the Wisconsin win, and the possibilities of getting into the NIT.

The best was when one of the hosts stated that at the Badgers-Gophers hockey game, which took place after the Bison BB win over Wisconsin, the Gopher fans chanted "lets go Bison" and the Wisconsin hockey fans shut right up!!

DIBISON
02-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Coach Miles was on the PA & Dubay show today on KFAN. *They have proclaimed NDSU as the official college basketball team of their program.

It was a great 20 minute discussion covering the Bison's recent schedule, the benefits of the Wisconsin win, and the possibilities of getting into the NIT.

The best was when one of the hosts stated that at the Badgers-Gophers hockey game, which took place after the Bison BB win over Wisconsin, the Gopher fans chanted "lets go Bison" and the Wisconsin hockey fans shut right up!!

I agree, it was a great segment and of course more PR for NDSU. The Bison chant at the Gophers-Badgers hockey game was hilarious!!

sambini
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Tim did a good job on that show this morning.+++++