PDA

View Full Version : 2005-06 Men's season record predictions

TheBisonator
10-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Anyone care to make predictions as to what our record will be this year for the men's team??

We play 24 Division I games this season, so let's make the predictions for division I games ONLY, because that's how ESPN, the RPI and other sports publications determine the rank of DI teams. They only count Division I games played.

So, out of 24 games this year, how do you think we'll do?? We have a team with lots of raw talent, but I don't know how that will translate onto the court.

I'm gonna go with a prediction of 9-15, with wins against Utah Valley State (twice), Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne (twice), Texas Pan-American, South Dakota State, Idaho State, Eastern Michigan and Denver.

I think we'll also beat Hamline, U of Mary, (ugh) Jamestown and the (shudder) Mayville State Comets.

And no more non-exhibition regular season games against DAC schools after this season.

Rabbitden
10-16-2005, 03:57 AM
You better re-think the SDSU win. *You only got us once last year and we had a team we knew wouldnt be competitive in the NCC for once.

Last nights Midnight Minus Two showed off a ton of athleticism. * Naggy was not going to rest until he got his type of team on the floor again...thier young but exstremely fast and athletic.

The big man from the Ivory Coast and the PG from NY along with the redshirts from last year give this team a major new level of hoops.

Should be fun to watch both the Bison and Jacks grow this year.

GO JACKS!

silkamilkamonico
10-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Our midnight madness showed significant improvement in athleticism as well.

I believe NDSU plays SDSU 2x, home and away....

I will expect both games to be close and the home teams winning each time.

The freshman redshirts consistently mopped the floor with the starting rotation last year practice after practice, and are now eligible and restlessin anticipation.

Smith will be an immediate contributor, and once the freshman RIley gets acclimated, he will be a serious talent on the court .

Win or lose, the Rabbit fans that have mocked the NDSU team and where it's at right now will be extremely disappointed.

NDSU will be young, inexperienced, very talented and very athletic this year, and will only continue to improve. Someone inform Scott Nagy. Immediately.

See Yuz.

Rabbitden
10-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Thats great...I think the two Dakotas should start making some noise.

Good thing this is the last year you will schedule DAC 10 teams. Lets be honest, that really doesnt do a whole lot for gettting a team ready for big time games.

By the way Mr. Scott Nagy I am sure is aware of your progress...the two coaches keep a pretty good eye on each other.

GO STATE! (SDSU & NDSU)...Who are the U's? 8)

silkamilkamonico
10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I will be also be glad when we done playing these Dac-10 schools.

I know they just fill ins, but didn't any NCC schools want to play or whats the deal? Not that it really matters either way, I would just assume having a full slate of D1 games.

Anyways lets get this season started. I know we newly 'rivals', but we in this together.

See Yuz.

sambini
10-16-2005, 08:39 PM
++

D
10-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Anyone care to make predictions as to what our record will be this year for the men's team??

We play 24 Division I games this season, so let's make the predictions for division I games ONLY, because that's how ESPN, the RPI and other sports publications determine the rank of DI teams. They only count Division I games played.

So, out of 24 games this year, how do you think we'll do?? We have a team with lots of raw talent, but I don't know how that will translate onto the court.

I'm gonna go with a prediction of 9-15, with wins against Utah Valley State (twice), Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne (twice), Texas Pan-American, South Dakota State, Idaho State, Eastern Michigan and Denver.

I think we'll also beat Hamline, U of Mary, (ugh) Jamestown and the (shudder) Mayville State Comets.

And no more non-exhibition regular season games against DAC schools after this season.

9 D1 wins seems a bit unrealistic for a number of reasons. Youth, Youth, Youth. No matter the level, relying on thst many young kids is a risky proposition. Leadership. There is one SR, Hahn, and it appears that he will be at least splitting his time on the court with Woodside. The only JR is Smith, and his atitude is iffy at best and having seen ihim a nuber of times last year at Science, definetly not a leader. Depth. There isn't much, and what depth there is, once again, it is young. Size. The only size quality size is Moorman. Lunde is tall, but he has seemed reluctant to mix it up. Smith can play, if he wants to and if he isn't too mad at the refs. If Riley is being counted on to play minutes at the PF, well, I don't know. Shooting. Once again, the guys that are on the perimeter are young, and of those guys Winkelman is a slasher/post up guy, and Nelson has always been a glue guy, a hard worker who gets after it but is not particularly great at anything, but a guy you love to have nonetheless. Woodside can certainly get it done, but he will either be at the point distributing or at the 2 with Hahn at the point and being 5 inches shorter then the man who is on him. I don't think the Bison can measure success this year in the W-L column because IMO the Ws are going to be infrequent. Success should be measured in improvement from Day 1, because these young kids have the makings of a group that could be fairy successful, but in 2-3 years.

roadwarrior
10-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I know that a lot of us are very excited about the upcoming men's basketball team and schedule. I would like to thank "D" on his input. He knows far more about basketball and the players than most of us do. With nine D-I games at the BSA this season, I hope that we all get out and support our talented but inexperienced men's basketball team!

teamsioux
10-17-2005, 06:17 PM
I know most of the freshmen were highly thought of and recruited out of high school, but who is supposed to be the "blue chipper"? Woodside? Winkleman?

tony
10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know - they signed with NDSU, they must all be blue-chippers :)

I think Woodside was supposed to be the biggest catch but Winkelman was darn good in HS and Lunde should benefit from being moved to forward from center. Moorman was ND's Mr. Basketball and Nelson was WI's Mr. Basketball.

I guess I don't care which ones are "blue-chippers" as long as they play well as a team.

silkamilkamonico
10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
I know most of the freshmen were highly thought of and recruited out of high school, but who is supposed to be the "blue chipper"? *Woodside? Winkleman?

There is no "blue chipper".

Theres only a select number of blue chippers every year and they aren't going to commit to any independant schools.

See Yuzl.

teamsioux
10-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't know - they signed with NDSU, they must all be blue-chippers :)

I think Woodside was supposed to be the biggest catch but Winkelman was darn good in HS and Lunde should benefit from being moved to forward from center. Moorman was ND's Mr. Basketball and Nelson was WI's Mr. Basketball.

I guess I don't care which ones are "blue-chippers" as long as they play well as a team.

That's what I meant...who is the biggest catch. Is that Winkleman's sister that is at Duluth playing ball? I seen she is from Morris....athletic family!

bisonmike
10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I say we'll go 1-23 in the DI games with the 1 being a shocker at Minnesota. ;D

In all seriousness, I have no clue how we'll do in B-ball this year. If these guys really click they might surprise some people, but if they lose badly early, their youth might make them give up on the season early. If they sweep the bunnies I'll consider it a successful campaign!

coloradobison
10-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I dont think those guys would give up on the year if they have a bad start. they had to watch all last year and not get to play at all, they have been dying to play for months, almost 2 years, to play in a game that matters, meaning, since their high school seasons were over.

D
10-18-2005, 05:45 AM
As I look over the Bison's schedule, it seems as though Miles did a real good job scheduling early, either that or it is purely coincidence. Anyway, NDSU has a legit shot to be 5-1, 4-2 after their 1st 6 games, with 1 loss obviously being to the Gophs. In game 2, Hamline had better be a win. Game 3 vs Colorado State is a game that NDSU could definetly make a game out of. That program has taken a step back over the past few years as many of their top recruits have transferred out. They actually started 3 7 footers in some of their games last year, but that didn't go so well. The thing NDSU will have trouble with against CSU is in the backcourt, where the Morris brothers start for CSU. They are the sons of the longtime NBA player Chris Morris, and if you remember dad, his sons have his athleticism, which is through the roof. Eastern Michigan is a game that is winable as well. They lost quite a bit and are always real tough at home, but not so good on the road. UWGB is another game that NDSU could have a shot. They lost 4 starters to graduation and are extremely young and not terribly athletic or big. And in game 6, Idaho St. is never any good, but who knows I guess. I am really interested to watch those young kids play though, and hope that Andre Smith isn't detrimental to the team and its growth.

clipperguy
10-18-2005, 04:22 PM
You better reconsider Moorman as "quality size" He won the Mr. basketball in ND his senior year and wasn't even the best player in his town(Chad Glasser). Unless he improved his redshirt year I wouldn't expect much from him. with 24 D1 games this year I will call for a 5-19 record. Only the real fab five got it done with 5 freshmen playing and this team won't

BisonMav
10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
I'll do the expert one better and say 10 wins. ;)

mikelsch
10-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I have faith that Miles will get the most out of Andre Smith. Miles runs a disciplined program (see Aaron Green, Jon Banks, etc).

BisonMav
10-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I'll do the expert one better and say 10 wins. *;)

Looking at the schedule closer, I am still at 10 or 11 wins.

A Loss Minnesota 20-9 Big Ten
H Win Hamline 10-15 MIAC
A Loss Colorady St 11-15 Mountain West
H Win Eastern Michigan 12-17 MAC
A Loss UW Green Bay 17-10 Horizon
A Win Idaho St 9-18 Big Sky
A Loss Drake 12-15 MVC
A Loss Montana 14-13 Big Sky or Mississippi Valley St 13-14 SWAC
H Loss Denver 18-9 Sunbelt
H Win Idaho St 9-18 Big Sky
H Loss Manhatten 14-13 MAAC
A Loss Idaho 8-21 Big West
A Loss Montana St 14-13 Big Sky
A Loss Northern Illinois 11-16 MAC or Win San Jose St WAC 6-22
A Loss Kansas St 16-11 Big 12
H Loss Utah Valley St 16-12 Indy
H Win SDSU Indy
H Loss UMKC 15-11 Mid-Con
A Loss Utah Valley St 16-12 Indy
A Loss Wisconsin 20-7 Big 10
H Win Idaho 8-21 Big West
A Loss Furman 16-12 Southern
H Win IPFW 7-22 Indy
H Win Jamestown DAC 10
H Win Mayville State Dac 10
A Loss SDSU Indy
H Win Mary Dac 10
A Loss IPFW 7-22 Indy

BisonMav
03-03-2006, 07:10 PM
From my pre-season predictions, I had 7 games wrong.
Gladly the Bison were on the winning side of most of them. :)

A Loss Minnesota 20-9 Big Ten
H Win Hamline 10-15 MIAC
A Loss Colorady St 11-15 Mountain West
H Win Eastern Michigan 12-17 MAC
A Loss UW Green Bay 17-10 Horizon
A Win Idaho St 9-18 Big Sky
A Loss Drake 12-15 MVC
A Loss Mississippi Valley St 13-14 SWAC
H Loss Denver 18-9 Sunbelt
H Win Idaho St 9-18 Big Sky
H Loss Manhatten 14-13 MAAC
A Loss Idaho 8-21 Big West