PDA

View Full Version : New RECRUITS

sambini
09-18-2005, 05:59 AM
The basketball team had a recruit at the football game. Tall kid out of Pierre,SD. I guess he is a great player. Anyone know anything ? I didn'T GET HIS NAME.

SiouxFallsJack
09-18-2005, 06:09 AM
I believe you're talking about 6'7" Michael Tveidt. He played for the Dakota Schoolers this past summer and is supposed to be a decent player although I have not seen him in person.

JACKGUYII
09-18-2005, 04:19 PM
NDSU has evidently showed interest in two South Dakota kids 6'7 Michael Tveidt of Pierre and 6'7 Anthony Cordova of Sioux Falls Roosevelt. Cordova has verbally committed to SDSU and Tveidt who's parents are both SDSU grads is considering a number of mid-major programs. The Jacks are out of scholarships for next year with committments from Cordova and Thomas Bassett of Iowa. I have seen Tveidt play and he is a good basketball player and 6'7 reciever on the Pierre football team.

sambini
09-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I guess his older brother goes to NDSU. Thanks for the info.

D
10-27-2005, 07:05 AM
HoopScoop (Van Coleman) released his top 970 SRs in the country list this month, something I always find interesting. Anyway, those of there of interest, Cameron Rundles of Minneapolis DeLaSalle who the Bison offerred and recently committed to Montana is at 337, Chop Tang of Mankato East and Howard Pulley is at 355, Deonte Roberts of St. Bernard's of St. Paul is at 382, Michael Tveidt of Pierre who has NDSU in his final 2 with UW-Milwaukee is at 436, Andy Polka of Oshkosh who NDSU was recruiting and has verballed to Loyola is at 657, and that is about all I can pick out of the players of interest. The rankings are certainly not the Bible, but interesting to look at nonetheless.

D
10-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Michael Tviedt verbals to NDSU over UW-Milwaukee. A very good get.

BisonMav
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Michael Tviedt verbals to NDSU over UW-Milwaukee. *A very good get.

Thanks D

sambini
10-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Any other verbals on the men or womens side yet?

BISON_PRIDE
10-29-2005, 08:29 AM
A little info on Michael Tveidt from another board. *He's a good all around athlete.

http://p066.ezboard.com/fscufanscomfrm7.showMessage?topicID=385.topic

soofan15
10-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Here's an all-around view on not only basketball, but also on NDSU's transition to D-I. It is great for the football program because (as much as I hate saying this) the Bison were a perennial D2 powerhouse, and it shouldn't take long for them to start competing for the playoffs in D-IAA. Saying that, I think it's too bad that a school cannot go DI in just one sport. This kills every sport other than football. The NDSU women's basketball team were always solid year in and year out, but now will perennially struggle to have a winning record. Same will be said for UND if/when they decide to make the transition.

BisonMav
10-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Here's an all-around view on not only basketball, but also on NDSU's transition to D-I. *It is great for the football program because (as much as I hate saying this) the Bison were a perennial D2 powerhouse, and it shouldn't take long for them to start competing for the playoffs in D-IAA. *Saying that, I think it's too bad that a school cannot go DI in just one sport. *This kills every sport other than football. *The NDSU women's basketball team were always solid year in and year out, but now will perennially struggle to have a winning record. *Same will be said for UND if/when they decide to make the transition.

I hadn't heard that view before, thanks for wisdom ::)

TaTonka_31
10-30-2005, 04:57 AM
This logic makes no sense. Granted, NDSU's other sports will take their lumps for a while but they will learn how to compete as time goes on. Fans statewide will become very excited about NDSU's basketball teams especially as they play more and more teams from the major conferences and better home opponets in the future (K-State 06). Having a chance at these major conference teams and maybe a chance of beating them in the future will certainly be preferable to being stuck in the mediocrity of D2 basketball.

Besides that, if NDSU and SDSU get into either the Big Sky or the Mid-Con, they will compete in those conferences very nicely. NDSU especially has a better fan base, sports budget and recruiting base than many of the teams in either of those conferences.

DIBISON
10-30-2005, 05:30 AM
How do you know the NDSU women's basketball will perennially struggle in DI. I believe that may be true during the first few years, but after that the Bison expect to be competitive. Yes, the Bison should be a national contender in football, but don't sell the other programs short as far as being competitive.

Bisonguy
10-30-2005, 05:44 AM
How do you know the NDSU women's basketball will perennially struggle in DI. *I believe that may be true during the first few years, but after that the Bison expect to be competitive. *Yes, the Bison should be a national contender in football, but don't sell the other programs short as far as being competitive.

Women's BB has a LONG ways to go to be competitive on a national level. Success could possibly be had at the conference level, if one is ever found....

soofan15
10-30-2005, 08:40 AM
What I meant was that when they played in D2, they NDSU women were among the best teams in the country year in and year out. I highly doubt they will ever reach that level again. Also, programs that were semi-successful at the D2 level (Men's bball, baseball every once in a while) will have no chance for competing for postseason glory. So next time, before you jump all over my opinions, why don't you think about what I'm saying and realize I make a valid point.

sambini
10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
ANY WOMEN VERBAL COMMITS?

BisonBacker
10-30-2005, 02:06 PM
What I meant was that when they played in D2, they NDSU women were among the best teams in the country year in and year out. *I highly doubt they will ever reach that level again. *Also, programs that were semi-successful at the D2 level (Men's bball, baseball every once in a while) will have no chance for competing for postseason glory. *So next time, before you jump all over my opinions, why don't you think about what I'm saying and realize I make a valid point.
Ok so what your saying is rather then move up you would as soon stay in a division that is being dragged down by the schools who used to be DIII and cannot afford as many schollies so they ask that the number be lowered to make it a level playing field. Even if the numbers are not dropped having schools such as Moorhead State or Crookston or Winona who cannot fully fund at the DII level now is a shame. Rather then be the big fish in a little pond and pound on the underfunded programs I would rather compete with my peers in a division where success isn't guaranteed but earned. I know you wouldn't know anything about that since you won't or should I say can't move up. One last thing, I have no problem with you guys not makeing the move. I understand that your program is in the red and has been for some time. If your administration and you sue posters would just admit it and say were not going to make the move because its not financially possible and leave us alone that would be fine but to come on here and constantly tell us we won't be competetive is getting old. How competetive is Crookston and Duluth???

TaTonka_31
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
No SooFan15 you make no valid point. The point is being competitive in D2 is in the past. Only people locally know anything about what goes on or who does what in D2. Going D1 means you are on the national stage. It will be an immence challange for all the teams but as they become more competitive, they will be "the" pride of the region.

As I have stated before on these boards, the people of the region just have no idea as yet what kind of notoriety and excitement D1 basketball will bring to NDSU and to the state of ND in general.

The football team playing and hopefully being competive with MN in 07 will also be big for the future of D1 sports for NDSU.

D
10-30-2005, 05:09 PM
A little background on Tveidt...

-he is an accomplihed high jumper, having gone 6'5'', and that tells you a lot about athleticism,

-All-State in football as a TE as a JR, moved to QB this year

-easily the best college prospect in South Dakota as evidenced by who offerred him and his all-around package, some might argue Cordova but it isn't even close. Cordova is as raw as they come and has no real offensive ability right now, not to mention there is almost 0% chance that he will be playing for SDSU next year and instead at probably Iowa Western, some MAJOR eligibility issues that in all likelihood will not work themselves out before next August. Tveidt can play the 3 or 4 and has an outside shot to go with his athleticism.

soofan15
10-30-2005, 05:15 PM
When the Bison women played in D2, they were always the LSU or Tennesse or UConn almost every year. Does anyone really think they or any other program will be able to win a National Championship in any other sport? And if so, which ones.

TaTonka_31
10-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Been there, Done that.

NDSU has moved on to a new challange. UND can play those games and meet those challanges at D2. Can NDSU win a national championship in basketball in the next decade? Very, very unlikely they could or even get a chance but beyond that who knows. The point is, they will be on the big stage.

I look at a school like Gonzaga. Who ever heard of them 15 years ago. Now they are competing at the highest level in basketball and all the majors and the national media have respect for them. This could very easily happen at NDSU because of their committment to sports and the ability to fund them by having a regional fan base.

soofan15
10-30-2005, 06:45 PM
good point. gonzaga is a great example, but they're only successful in men's bball. i'm just trying to say that its unfortunate that many NDSU programs are unlikely to make it to postseason glory.

BisonBacker
10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
good point. *gonzaga is a great example, but they're only successful in men's bball. *i'm just trying to say that its unfortunate that many NDSU programs are unlikely to make it to postseason glory.
OK so now were not bashing anything sioux and yet your here telling everyone that we will fail in all sports but Football. Does it make you feel better about your school by coming here and telling us how miserably we will fail? You should be happy about that considering your support is for a different school and you dislike NDSU. But again why post? There's no smack here on the sioux.

soofan15
10-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm not starting any smack whatsoever YOU are the one trying to interpret my comments that way. *I'm giving my opinion. *It was great not only for NDSU but also the state of North Dakota when the women's basketball team was winning national titles, and when they weren't winning them, they were always in competition for one. I've said it once and I'll say it again...it will be difficult for NDSU to be as competitive as they once were in women's basketball (and every other sport for that matter). *Am I rooting for the Bison to fail? No, I would like to see them do well. *If they could pull off a win against a big D1 school I think that would be great. *Maybe they will reach the upper tier of women's basketball, but it will take years of hard work to get there. I would have the exact same opinion on the subject if the Sioux were D1.

sambini
10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Anyone heard of any more recruits?

kchats
10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
No I don't follow that too closely. I figure they don't really matter until they officially sign anyway. I figure with a Hall of Fame coach our women's basketball team is in great hands. I expect Amy to get the Bison going in the right direction soon. A conference to compete in would be very helpful for all of our teams. I'm hopeful the Mid-Con will come calling later this season.

TaTonka_31
10-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Keep in mind SooFan15 that the athletes coming to NDSU now realize the situation. They are coming to NDSU to play against D1 competition. For many of them it may be the only reason they decided to come to NDSU is because they were not offered by a Major or an established Mid-Major conference team and choose to stay as close to home as possible but yet play D1. They feel they belong in D1 and want to prove the schools that rejected them wrong. Just putting NDSU on the the D1 map is the challange they have accepted for now.

BisonBacker
10-31-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm not starting any smack whatsoever YOU are the one trying to interpret my comments that way. *I'm giving my opinion. *It was great not only for NDSU but also the state of North Dakota when the women's basketball team was winning national titles, and when they weren't winning them, they were always in competition for one. I've said it once and I'll say it again...it will be difficult for NDSU to be as competitive as they once were in women's basketball (and every other sport for that matter). *Am I rooting for the Bison to fail? No, I would like to see them do well. *If they could pull off a win against a big D1 school I think that would be great. *Maybe they will reach the upper tier of women's basketball, but it will take years of hard work to get there. I would have the exact same opinion on the subject if the Sioux were D1.
Fair enough, but I really don't think what your saying here is anything we havent heard before. All this was considered before the move was made you can be assured of that. No one expected instant success or even anything close to the level of success any of the sports teams enjoyed over the years in DII. I do think however we can expect our teams to be at the least competitive in within a few years after the transition. You have to give the coaches time to recruit the players it will take to compete at a higher level. We still have players in the system that were recruited when we were still DII.

tony
10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Am I rooting for the Bison to fail? No, I would like to see them do well. *If they could pull off a win against a big D1 school I think that would be great. *Maybe they will reach the upper tier of women's basketball, but it will take years of hard work to get there. I would have the exact same opinion on the subject if the Sioux were D1.

But is it worth it in your opinion, knowing that it is harder to competer nationally (or even impossible in the foreseeable future)? I guess that's the crux of the issue.

If it isn't worth it, I guess Bison fans aren't the ones you should be trying to convince, it should be UND fans and ultimately your AD. You could start by telling people on UND's fan board about your concerns. However, please don't hijack a thread to do it. :)

BisonMav
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Here is Tveidt's Dakota Schoolers team link
Dakota Schoolers (http://www.dakotaschoolers.com/pages/1/index.htm)

JACKGUYII
10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
A little background on Tveidt...

-he is an accomplihed high jumper, having gone 6'5'', and that tells you a lot about athleticism,

-All-State in football as a TE as a JR, moved to QB this year

-easily the best college prospect in South Dakota as evidenced by who offerred him and his all-around package, some might argue Cordova but it isn't even close. *Cordova is as raw as they come and has no real offensive ability right now, not to mention there is almost 0% chance that he will be playing for SDSU next year and instead at probably Iowa Western, some MAJOR eligibility issues that in all likelihood will not work themselves out before next August. *Tveidt can play the 3 or 4 and has an outside shot to go with his athleticism.

D, probably save to assume you have not seen either player play live. I have and there is not the difference in talent between Cordova and Tveidt that you are trying to portray. And for you to come on here and indicate Cordova has no shot at being eligible is flat out disgusting. No question Tveidt is a good high school player and only time will tell who is a better individual and team player in college.

kchats
10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
But is it worth it in your opinion, knowing that it is harder to competer nationally (or even impossible in the foreseeable future)? I guess that's the crux of the issue. *

If it isn't worth it, I guess Bison fans aren't the ones you should be trying to convince, it should be UND fans and ultimately your AD. You could start by telling people on UND's fan board about your concerns. However, please don't hijack a thread to do it. *:)

I agree Tony. *We are already division I so what good does it do a Sioux fan to come on here and tell us we messed up in his opinion. Last time I checked most everyone on this board is in favor of the Bison being a division I school. They are supposedly studying the move up north so maybe he should voice his concerns about their move and not worry about ours.

kchats
10-31-2005, 06:39 PM
D, probably save to assume you have not seen either player play live. I have and there is not the difference in talent between Cordova and Tveidt that you are trying to portray. And for you to come on here and indicate Cordova has no shot at being eligible is flat out disgusting. No question Tveidt is a good high school player and only time will tell who is a better individual and team player in college.

I sure the Bison and the Jacks would of each been happy with both of them. I for one am happy we got one of the two.

somebison
11-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Looks like the best HS player in South Dakota is going to be a BISON.....

BisonBacker
11-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Thats great news for us. We are going to need to land these types of recruits if were going to be competitve in BBall. I'm looking forward to see how we stack up this year on the court. Go Bison!!!!!!!

IowaBison
11-03-2005, 02:27 PM
story on tveidt

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=107512&section=Sports

D
11-05-2005, 12:29 AM

An interesting assumption that I have not seen either Tveidt or Cordova play, and a terribly incorrect one at that. I have seen each play at least 3 times, 2 in AAU that I can remember, 1 time was a Pierre HS game last year, and I watched Cordova against Bryce Webster last year. If there isn't much difference in their talent levels, why such a disparity in the schools that offerred?? I can tell you why, Tveidt is taller and at the same time MUCH more versatile, a better athlete, has better ballhandling skills, has range that extends past 8 feet, is competent from the FT line, and maybe the biggest difference, Cordova has almost no feel for the game. Other then that, they are similar. I am an unbiased observer and that is what I come away with when comparing the 2. And how is stating that Cordova doesn't have a very good shot of being eligible disgusting??

Rabbitlivinginverm
11-06-2005, 01:04 AM
An interesting assumption that I have not seen either Tveidt or Cordova play, and a terribly incorrect one at that. *I have seen each play at least 3 times, 2 in AAU that I can remember, 1 time was a Pierre HS game last year, and I watched Cordova against Bryce Webster last year. *If there isn't much difference in their talent levels, why such a disparity in the schools that offerred?? *I can tell you why, Tveidt is taller and at the same time MUCH more versatile, a better athlete, has better ballhandling skills, has range that extends past 8 feet, is competent from the FT line, and maybe the biggest difference, Cordova has almost no feel for the game. *Other then that, they are similar. *I am an unbiased observer and that is what I come away with when comparing the 2. *And how is stating that Cordova doesn't have a very good shot of being eligible disgusting??

Cordova is listed at 6'7"; Tviedt in 6'5"

They play different positions; Tviedt is a swingman who will have a tough time down low. Cordova is a bigman who's developing an outside shot. He shot 29% this summer and Tviedt shot 35% (for 3's). Cordova avg. 6.3 boards compared to Tviedt's 3.2. I wish we had both of them but I'll be happy with Cordava. He's excatly what we need, another big man. Tviedt is excatly what we don't need; another swingman.

sambini
11-06-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm glad we got him and keep getting those athletic type players. They are fun to watch.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Tviedt is a swingman who will have a tough time down low. *Cordova is a bigman who's developing an outside shot. *

What does Cordova struggle with? *Nothing when he develops his outside shot?

See Yuz.

JACKGUYII
11-08-2005, 02:50 AM
This is an interesting post from someone over on the Argus forum board who seems to have a lot of information about South Dakota Basketball recruits.

Don't worry this isn't the only thing you aren't aware of and you aren't alone as this site is filled with a ton of posters who don't have a clue about what is taking place in the recruiting world and how the whole process works. What is ironic is you are all crying this year because SD doesn't have a kid ranked in the top 150 or top 100. Good thing because you would all be on here blasting that athlete if he were highly ranked and stating how over rated they were. Like Poppers I too hate posting on this site but when I read the garbage that is posted on here I can't help to clear the air. Currently there are four seniors in SD who are being recruited at the D1 level or have accepted offers to that level. Of course when they all sign at that level (if they do) you can jump on the over rated band wagon like some of you have with Cordova already.

Zach Finley
Is being recruited by Princeton, Pacific, Marshall, Augie and NSU. All schools except for Princeton have offered. Before you blast away about Princeton please remember that the Ivy league schools do not offer scholarships and he wouldn't receive any athletic aid if he attended Princeton.

Michael Tveidt
Has been offered by UW Milwaukee, Ball State, UNC Wilmington, Northern Illinois, UC Santa Clara, NDSU. He is also receiving some interest from Richmond, West Virginia and a few calls from Kansas State. Tveidt has narrowed his list down and has already shut down talks and offers from some smaller D1's including Lehigh, Akron, Toledo and Colgate. No schools in Oklahoma expressed an interest. Four schools from the Missouri Valley expressed interest including Wichita State, Bradley, Northern Iowa and Creighton but none of the schools offered and none are continuing the recruiting process. Phone calls and letters are a part of the recruiting process but are not offers and really don't mean a thing in the big picture. Regardless of opinion Tveidt has only been offered by mid major schools. It is doubtful that even if he waited until spring to sign that any schools higher than the mid major level would come knocking on his door.

Tate Pesicka
Has been offered by Augie and USD. He has received calls from some smaller D1 schools including Davidson, Eastern Kentucky, UNC Wilmington, Richmond, NDSU and Samford. While Washington State did call to inquire no serious recruitment from that level has taken place. If no D1 offers come Tate's way prior to the early signing period he could generate some interest from that level if he were to sign late. It is doubtful that he'll receive any offers higher than a small to mid major D1 school.

Anthony Cordova
Received some interest from smaller D1 schools including Florida Atlantic, Colgate and turned down an offer from Augie. As to the merits of his ability to play at SDSU, those who question his ability have not seen him play recently and certainly didn't see him play this summer. When all is said and done he has the capibility of being the best player in the 06 class. SDSU had one offer to give. They couldn't afford to wait on Michael Tveidt and could have signed other players from around the country. They chose Cordova because they see a ton of potential and saw him play this summer. I trust Coach Nagy's judgement over the HS kids and arm chair coaching adults on this site any day.

While the many postings on the recruiting subject on this site have been entertaining the list above is accurate. If you want to know the source feel free to contact the coaching staffs from the schools listed above. I can't remember a time in recent years or anytime when 4 SD athletes were recruited at the D1 level out of one class. If all 4 sign D1 offers it would be the first time in recent years (if ever) to happen.

JACKGUYII
11-08-2005, 03:03 AM
An interesting assumption that I have not seen either Tveidt or Cordova play, and a terribly incorrect one at that. *I have seen each play at least 3 times, 2 in AAU that I can remember, 1 time was a Pierre HS game last year, and I watched Cordova against Bryce Webster last year. *If there isn't much difference in their talent levels, why such a disparity in the schools that offerred?? *I can tell you why, Tveidt is taller and at the same time MUCH more versatile, a better athlete, has better ballhandling skills, has range that extends past 8 feet, is competent from the FT line, and maybe the biggest difference, Cordova has almost no feel for the game. *Other then that, they are similar. *I am an unbiased observer and that is what I come away with when comparing the 2. *And how is stating that Cordova doesn't have a very good shot of being eligible disgusting??

I also attended the Timberwolves shootout and saw Cordova give Gopher recruit 6'9 250 Bryce Webster all he wanted as Sioux Falls Roosevelt won a close game with Wisconsin recruit Krabenhoft dominating the end of the game. I like Tveidt's game and think he will do well. I'm a little confused based on his potential options why he chose NDSU over the opportunity to play at schools in esstablished conferences with more of a track record. I'm sure proximity to home and the fact his brother attends NDSU has something to do with it. I'm sure Nagy and Co. are estatic to get Cordova as he is a big body who likes contact and can play down low with his back to the basket. I have an issue with questioning Cordova's ability to get eligible. Have you read his transcript? It must suck to be connected to UND and watch SDSU and NDSU get the players UND can only dream about.

RonRabbit
11-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Some of us older guys remember Mark Tetzlaff taking SDSU to #2 in the country. I remember the first time I saw Tviedt play as an 8th grader. In many respects, he reminded me of a young Mark Tetzlaff. He's a great catch for the Bison.

I watched Cordova play when he first arrived in SD and then watched him more recently. If one can make any guesses based on improvement curve: watch out. The guy is like an unpolished diamond and Coach Nagy knows what to do with guys like that.

BisonMav
11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Some of us older guys remember Mark Tetzlaff taking SDSU to #2 in the country. *I remember the first time I saw Tviedt play as an 8th grader. *In many respects, he reminded me of a young Mark Tetzlaff. *He's a great catch for the Bison.

I watched Cordova play when he first arrived in SD and then watched him more recently. *If one can make any guesses based on improvement curve: watch out. *The guy is like an unpolished diamond and Coach Nagy knows what to do with guys like that.

If he's close to being Mark Tetzlaff, he will be a great player. *Does he also have the 7' wingspan Tetzlaff had?

silkamilkamonico
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
So with all these young guys, and Phil Hanhn the only senior, and now with the verbal from Tviedt, how many schollies do the Bison have left, if any?

See Yuz.

tony
11-09-2005, 09:12 AM
The limit is 13 so I think NDSU is going to be adding one player a year for a while and eventually settle into a rhythm of 2 or 3 a year.

RedRiver
11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Michael Tveidt of Pierre has officially signed with the Bison. Article is up on GoBison.com.

sambini
11-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Are the women signing anyone early?

BISON_PRIDE
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Here's a story about the signing of Tveidt from the Pierre paper.

http://www.capjournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=10&ArticleID=138 80

DIBISON
11-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Bison men get another early signee from St. Paul. Miles was very suprised that he signed early with the Bison. Don't remember name but he is an athetic 6'3" swing player that averaged 13 points a game. Should be more information on sports tonight.

Bisonguy
11-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Bison men get another early signee from St. Paul. *Miles was very suprised that he signed early with the Bison. *Don't remember name but he is an athetic 6'3" swing player that averaged 13 points a game. *Should be more information on sports tonight.

Freddy Coleman- here's the story- North Dakota State Men’s Basketball Signs St. Paul Johnson’s Freddy Coleman (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=213451)

They had some highlights of him on the WDAY 6:00 Sports(looks like he can finish off a fast break with some style) , along with a feature on the JUCO transfer, Smith.

DIBISON
11-17-2005, 12:44 AM
I loved Coleman's style on the dunks, very athletic. Miles said that Coleman was also being recruited for football.

sambini
11-17-2005, 03:46 AM
I saw highlights on FOX SPORTS AT 9. He is one athletic player who can finish a fastbreak is right.

RedRiver
11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Good article in The Forum today about Coleman, stated he is one of the best athletes in Minneapolis/St. Paul. A metro newspaper compared him to M. Vick because of his athletic ability in football.

Gully
11-18-2005, 12:30 AM
So is there a possibility he'll play football as well?

JBB
11-18-2005, 01:13 AM
It sure didnt sound like Coach Miles was expecting him to play any football.

Gully
11-18-2005, 01:25 AM
That's too bad, if the comparison to Vick holds any validity, he could probably play both sports, although I know that's very tough to do at the DI level.

kchats
11-18-2005, 03:45 AM
It sure didnt sound like Coach Miles was expecting him to play any football. *

Coach Miles said if he concentrates on basketball he has untapped potential. Although the way the NFL is taking power forwards from college basketball teams and turning them into high paid tightends it might do him well to play both.

mikelsch
11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
D,

Please comment on the signing/talents of Freddy Coleman. You always seem to have good information and an unbiased opinion on recruits.

BisonMav
11-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Pretty excited about the Bison getting Coleman. He has been the talk of St Paul this fall for his football escapades. I like Miles take, that Coleman will improve greatly if he concentrates only on basketball. Hope to get to a few St Paul Johnson basketball games this year.

D
11-18-2005, 09:17 PM
D,

Please comment on the signing/talents of Freddy Coleman. *You always seem to have good information and an unbiased opinion on recruits.

Can't say I know a whole lot about him, nor do others that I have talked to. I know he did not play with an AAU team, so there is why he is fairly unknown. From all I have been able to gather he is terribly athletic and will need time to develop offensively, is still fairly raw, but could be looked to on the defensive end immediately given his athleticism and speed. All said, Miles seems really excited about Coleman and a guy like this is one you have no problem taking a chance on, chance not meant as an insult, just that he is still raw and athletic.

mikelsch
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
No more scholarships to give out for next season after signing Coleman and Tveidt. And only 1 to give out after Andre Smith finishes his eligibility the year after. That one is probably earmarked for Williston's Brian Qvale (6'10" center).

sambini
12-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Who is recruiting the local kids?

jaredboe
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I would guess Concordia is after Sandvig and Erdmann and MSU would also be after Sandvig. Also, the Jamestown's and VC's of the world. I've also seen Coleman play and he's not great. Athletic as heck but in a structured offense like the one the Bison run he will struggle. He should be able to hold his own defensively just based on sheer athleticism though. I've also seen Chop Tang of Mankato East play, he's a beast at 6'6. A school that gets him will be very lucky.

BisonMav
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I would guess Concordia is after Sandvig and Erdmann and MSU would also be after Sandvig. Also, the Jamestown's and VC's of the world. I've also seen Coleman play and he's not great. *Athletic as heck but in a structured offense like the one the Bison run he will struggle. He should be able to hold his own defensively just based on sheer athleticism though. *I've also seen Chop Tang of Mankato East play, he's a beast at 6'6. *A school that gets him will be very lucky. *

Tang is a good player. What I like about Coleman is his athleticism. He is raw and has room to improve by concetrating on basketball.

mikelsch
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I wish we would sign Chop Tang...I can hear the students chanting now... We Love Tang, We Love Tang

MN_BISONS
12-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I wish we would sign Chop Tang...I can hear the students chanting now... We Love Tang, We Love Tang

+++ ;D

jaredboe
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Gil have you seen Coleman play? seriously he's not that good. Sandvig of South and Mertens of Devils Lake are almost as athletic and have much better basketball skills. Anybody know anything of the 2 sophs from Benilde-St. Margaret's that were talked about earlier? Battle and Taylor I think their last names are?

Gully
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM

Classic, that up there with "Let's go Peay"

BISON_PRIDE
12-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Coleman probably won't see much of the floor in the next couple years anyway, he's got time to improve in all areas. Miles develops his young talent as good as anyone.

BisonMav
12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Gil have you seen Coleman play? *seriously he's not that good. *Sandvig of South and Mertens of Devils Lake are almost as athletic and have much better basketball skills. *Anybody know anything of the 2 sophs from Benilde-St. Margaret's that were talked about earlier? *Battle and Taylor I think their last names are?

I haven't seen him this year yet, saw him last year.

sambini
12-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Mertens from Devils Lake IS HE A COUSIN OF OUR QB NICK? He is also a very athletic player.

roadwarrior
01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Williston's Brian Qvale was also at the BSA last night watching the Bison beat the Rabbits.

jack100
02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Bison coaches were in Pierre, SD last week. Not to check up on Tviedt - talked to Willard - 6'8" junior on the Pierre team.

Mr_Meanor
02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Can't say I know a whole lot about him, nor do others that I have talked to. *I know he did not play with an AAU team, so there is why he is fairly unknown. *From all I have been able to gather he is terribly athletic and will need time to develop offensively, is still fairly raw, but could be looked to on the defensive end immediately given his athleticism and speed. *All said, Miles seems really excited about Coleman and a guy like this is one you have no problem taking a chance on, chance not meant as an insult, just that he is still raw and athletic.

He did play AAU..he play for the MN Swoosh and was coached by Mark Flannery

SirHinn
02-14-2006, 08:41 PM
All the local smaller schools are offering Erdman such as Jamestown, Mary, VCSU, Mary and Concordia, but my inside sources tell me he's more interested in walking on for the Bison. Obviously the Bison would be interested in him walking on because they would have nothing to lose in that situation.

DIBISON
03-03-2006, 12:57 AM
I guess I should have posted the stats about Erdman under this topic, 27 points and 15 rebounds in their opening east regional game.

DIBISON
03-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Erdman had 24 points and the game winning 3 pointer with 1 second remaining as North beat #1 ranked Devils Lake tonight. Travis Mertens had 38 points and 21 rebounds for Devils Lake. Heard that Mertens may end up going the JC route and still could be a Bison in a couple of years.

mikelsch
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I was wondering where Travis Mertens was going to end up next season. I personally haven't seen him play - is he a DI-caliber player?

D
03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I was wondering where Travis Mertens was going to end up next season. *I personally haven't seen him play - is he a DI-caliber player?

Lake Region.

DIBISON
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Yes LRCC, and after that could end up being a DI recruit if everything progresses. NDSU has talked to him.

mikelsch
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the info.

The Bison have limited scholarships to give out in the next 2 seasons (1 each season - Andre Smith's in 2007-2008 and Andrew Brown's 2008-2009).

If Mertens stays at Lake Region for 2 seasons (06-07 and 07-08), the Bison will only have 1 scholarship to give out that year. So either the Bison offer it to Mertens, or it goes to someone else.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2006, 08:12 PM
If Mertens stays at Lake Region for 2 seasons (06-07 and 07-08), the Bison will only have 1 scholarship to give out that year. *So either the Bison offer it to Mertens, or it goes to someone else.

I wonder how much loyalty if any Miles will have for him with that scolarship.

Miles isn't a fan at all of the JUCO route if he doesn't have to, especially when we're getting the recruits that we are as freshman.

Then again if Miles feel's he can step in and make an immediate impact maybe he will get offered.

bisonhusker
03-08-2006, 02:44 AM
I know they think Mertens is a freak athlete, but not ready to play now. Erdman wants to walk on, that would be fun to see. Maybe he can bulk up to play the 4? They say he isn't in great condition as of now. I think we should all watch the big kid from Williston....will he verbal soon? That would be nice. I am sure glad he doesn't have Mr. Basketball giving him the ball again this season, he would have went bigtime.

DIBISON
03-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Fargo North won the Class A title as Erdman scored 21 tonight in the finals against Minot. He has 3 DII offers from Moorhead St., U of Mary, and Nebraska Kearney but could walk-on at NDSU.

May of Fargo North, a sophmore guard looked good and made the all-tournament team, as did a sophmore for Minot. The Minot player at 6'2" also was the starting quarterback this past fall and started in baseball as a freshman.

By the way, what an embarrassment for Grand Forks, the attendance at the state Class A championship couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand.

MinotBison
03-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Fargo North won the Class A title as Erdman scored 21 tonight in the finals against Minot. *He has 3 DII offers from Moorhead St., U of Mary, and Nebraska Kearney but could walk-on at NDSU.

May of Fargo North, a sophmore guard looked good and made the all-tournament team, as did a sophmore for Minot. *The Minot player at 6'2" also was the starting quarterback this past fall and started in baseball as a freshman.

By the way, what an embarrassment for Grand Forks, the attendance at the state Class A championship couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand. *

The Minot sophomore you are referring to is Zac Elgie, and yes he was the starting QB last fall. He is, in my opinion someone Bohl might want to look at in two years as a QB. He is also a pitcher in baseball.

SirHinn
03-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I thought Qvale was perhaps one of the softest big men I have ever seen. With his height, he should absolutely dominate North Dakota basketball. But he doesn't and at times he disappears on the court. He got dominated by a guy who is 6ft 4. He's not aggressive at all. He doesn't go up strong at all. He lacked any dominate post moves. He could not body up in the post at all. The majority of his blocks came from the weak side. I used to be impressed by Qvale, but after that state tournament, he certainly left me wondering.

If Jordan May can hit the weight room and turn that baby fat into muscle, he could certainly be a heck of a player in North Dakota. He has lots of potential and could be a possible target for NDSU in 2 years.

Elgie seems to be a guy that could certainly be one of the best up and coming players in ND. He'll certainly be one heck of an athlete for Minot over the next few years. Word is though, baseball will be the sport that will attract the most attention from college scouts for him.

NDSU_grad
03-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I was impressed with May, considering he's only a sophomore, but that's based on about watcing him play for a total of 10 minutes. Could be a player NDSU should keep an eye on.

buffalobill
03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
For those that don't have much of an historical perspective, the Quale prospect is the son of Sanford who played for the Bison late 60's early 70's. The Elgie kid is the son of Mike(former Minot high athlete and now I believe Minot rec director and grandson of Vince former Minot State Coach).

sambini
03-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Buffalo BILL you are top of it. Can Sanfords son become a BISON?

buffalobill
03-13-2006, 10:02 PM
With what is taking place at NDSU, a chance to offer the kid a full ride, a coach like Tim Miles(and staff), the fact that he can brought along slowly as a project with a tremendous amount of potential, and the fact his dad Sanford is an alum are all positives. Go Coyotes-Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SirHinn
03-13-2006, 10:43 PM
With what is taking place at NDSU, a chance to offer the kid a full ride, a coach like Tim Miles(and staff), *the fact that he can brought along slowly as a project with a tremendous amount of potential, and the fact his dad Sanford is an alum are all positives. Go Coyotes-Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen him play at all? Thee only potential I saw out of him was his height. I remember when a friend of mine who is also a Coach at a Class A school told me was getting some D-1 looks. His softness has to scare a lot of teams away and would be absolutely stunned if that were the case. He reminds me of Kyle Nelson from Mayport CG.

buffalobill
03-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes! I realize that he needs development, but you have a chance to develop a 6' 11" guy into a D-1 post player. It is obviously impossible to take a great 6' 2" D-1 player and turn him into a D-1 post guy. I may be partial but Iowa accomplished the same with a 7'0" center from Bowbells ND(can't remember his name) some years back. And finally don't forget another Williston great in Phil Jackson. He seemed to turn out OK!

sambini
03-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Les JEPSEN FROM BOWBELLS BUFFALO BILL. aND YES pHIL jACKSON TURNED OUT OK? How many championship rings does he have as a player and coach in the NBA. Also Les Jepsen was in the NBA I BELIEVE FOR 2 YEARS?

semobison
03-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Les Jepson from Bowbells had a nice career at Iowa. Qvale looked better in the WDA than he did in the State tournament. He does need a lot of work though. On the upside, he is 6'11" and only a junior in High School. He has a lot of time to develope his skills with hard work and coaching. I think he would be definately worth a scholarship if we have one.

sambini
03-14-2006, 01:09 AM
GIVE HIM A FULL RIDE++++++++++++

DIBISON
03-14-2006, 03:38 AM
I agree, give him a full ride and a redshirt year and with teaching he will develop. He has been contacted by 20 some DI programs and from what I heard, Northern Iowa visited him last summer.

buffalobill
03-14-2006, 03:48 AM
We have to be on guard for a BIG MAC ATTACK!!!!

sambini
03-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Also his asst. Jake if he is playing golf at RED Mike.

SirHinn
03-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree, give him a full ride and a redshirt year and with teaching he will develop. *He has been contacted by 20 some DI programs and from what I heard, Northern Iowa visited him last summer.

What he needs to do is catch on with a good AAU team, then transfer to a school that is going to utilize his abilities. I wasn't impressed with Williston's offense Anytime you have a 7 footer, you must get him the ball!

buffalobill
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
SHAKEY JAKE'S are akin to BIG MAC ATTACKS ::) ::)

SirHinn
03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I got some inside information that the Qvale family is looking at making a move to the Fargo area. The two schools that are in the running are West Fargo and Fargo North. Word is the parents didn't think there was enough exposure in the Williston area, so they felt moving to the Fargo area would be best for both sons. This certainly could help NDSU land Qvale. I figured I'd pass along the information incase any of you were interested.

87Bisonfan
03-28-2006, 01:51 AM
I believe Qvale's dad works for the NDSU Extension Service in Williston, is he transferring to a similar position with NDSU in Fargo?

sambini
03-28-2006, 03:08 AM
I got some inside information that the Qvale family is looking at making a move to the Fargo area. *The two schools that are in the running are West Fargo and Fargo North. *Word is the parents didn't think there was enough exposure in the Williston area, so they felt moving to the Fargo area would be best for both sons. *This certainly could help NDSU land Qvale. *I figured I'd pass along the information incase any of you were interested.
Buffalo BILL is this true? Simmers would know?

buffalobill
03-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Without putting Sanford on the spot, I'll check with Gunner he should know the latest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikelsch
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
With the right year-round coaching and training, Qvale could be a real nice post player. He's a project, but he has his senior year and a redshirt year to develop. Hopefully a move to Fargo would help this process. Bison could use a good 6'10 player.

Gamehunter
03-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Without putting Sanford on the spot, I'll check with Gunner he should know the latest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner would most definately have the inside scoop. I have not heard of this before though besides Sanford being very dissapointed how the offense was run at Williston.

buffalobill
03-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Gunner says it's news to him. But as always anything is possible just not very probable. ;) ;) ;)

Mr._Bill
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Where is Rico Tucker (UM) going to land. He says he is out, but it was not reported where he was tranferring to.???

He might not be a good personality fit for a team like the Bison, but we could sure use that type of athleticism. As a guy from CA, I'm sure he will land out West. Anybody know?

silkamilkamonico
03-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Where is Rico Tucker (UM) going to land. *He says he is out, but it was not reported where he was tranferring to.???

He might not be a good personality fit for a team like the Bison, but we could sure use that type of athleticism. *As a guy from CA, I'm sure he will land out West. *Anybody know?

What year is he?

If he transferred to NDSU, he would have to sit out a year and he would also lose a year of eligibility. Unless he is an underclassmen I don't see any shot of NDSU even offering him a spot on the team.

We building something here. ;D

BisonMav
03-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Where is Rico Tucker (UM) going to land. *He says he is out, but it was not reported where he was tranferring to.???

He might not be a good personality fit for a team like the Bison, but we could sure use that type of athleticism. *As a guy from CA, I'm sure he will land out West. *Anybody know?

Former Gopher Miles Webb is at NDSSS and listed as a 3 Star recruit.

RedRiver
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I was wondering where Travis Mertens was going to end up next season. *I personally haven't seen him play - is he a DI-caliber player?

Mertens has signed to play basketball at Lake Region JC in Devils Lake. Must be somewhat of a disappointment for him as I know there was DI innterest as a junior.

BisonMav
05-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Former Gopher Miles Webb is at NDSSS and listed as a 3 Star recruit.

Webb has signed with Idaho

mikelsch
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Mass exodus of Idaho players from last year's team. One of them was a real nice player also recruited by NDSU...his name is David Dubois from Madison, WI. He was a true freshman that played forward. Would be a nice addition for the Bison...would have to sit out a year.

mikelsch
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
With 1 scholarship remaining for the 2006-2007 season, this is the final day to sign basketball players. My guess is that coach Miles will save the scholarship so that he can bring in 2 recruits for the 2007-2008 season.

http://www.national-letter.org/dates/

November 8-15 will be the next opportunity to sign basketball players

wcbsas
05-18-2006, 05:19 PM
With 1 scholarship remaining for the 2006-2007 season, this is the final day to sign basketball players. *My guess is that coach Miles will save the scholarship so that he can bring in 2 recruits for the 2007-2008 season.

http://www.national-letter.org/dates/

November 8-15 will be the next opportunity to sign basketball players

Not to get all technical ... but yesterday was the last day that Miles to sign someone to a Letter of Intent. He can offer a scholarship for this upcoming year anytime between now and the beginning of the school year. He just can not sign that athlete to a LOI which binds him to the school and vice-versa.

mikelsch
05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification

D
10-06-2006, 12:50 AM

I also attended the Timberwolves shootout and saw Cordova give Gopher recruit 6'9 250 Bryce Webster all he wanted as Sioux Falls Roosevelt won a close game with Wisconsin recruit Krabenhoft dominating the end of the game. *I like Tveidt's game and think he will do well. I'm a little confused based on his potential options why he chose NDSU over the opportunity to play at schools in esstablished conferences with more of a track record. I'm sure proximity to home and the fact his brother attends NDSU has something to do with it. I'm sure Nagy and Co. are estatic to get Cordova as he is a big body who likes contact and can play down low with his back to the basket. I have an issue with questioning Cordova's ability to get eligible. Have you read his transcript? It must suck to be connected to UND and watch SDSU and NDSU get the players UND can only dream about.

It's been a while, but I had to bring this back to the top. What did I say almost a year ago, and now he is ineligible. Sorry for the gloating. ;D ;D

mikelsch
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
D,

Now that Dahlman has chosen Wofford, any info on whom the Bison might use their last scholarship on?

RedRiver
10-06-2006, 09:53 PM
D,

Now that Dahlman has chosen Wofford, any info on whom the Bison might use their last scholarship on?

Miles has said either a 4 or 5 player and if they do not get who they want, they will hold the scholarship until the spring signing period.

Mr_Meanor
10-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Rico landed at Pepperdine

SirHinn
10-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Word is they are trying to get Driscoll from DGF to walk on. No sources, just heard it from several college coaches.

Mr_Meanor
10-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Does anyone know if Chris Taylor from Wayzata or Matt Janning from Watertown are drawing big time schools?

STC_TFA
10-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Lakes you should know?

colt46
10-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Janning is at Northeastern already!

Mr_Meanor
10-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Janning is at Northeastern already!

For some reason I thought he was a senior this year...did he graduate early or something because most recruiting sites have him listed as a senior this year. Also, I noticed that NDSU is interested in Justin Stommes. Does anyone know anything about him? I have never heard of him.

TAILG8R
10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I found this out on the web:

Justin is a 6'7" All-Conference, All-State Player from ROCORI HS who shoots 54% overall, 38% threes, and 81% freethrows. As a point guard, Justin also averages 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals per game. Justin was the 2006 Dakota Showcase National Tournament MVP (June 29-July 1, 2006); and a member of the Showcase's All-Tournament team. He set an all-time tournament freethrow record shooting 90% (making 34). He carries a 3.3/4.0 GPA.

It lok slike there are some videos of his team in the state tourney on this site:
http://digelog.typepad.com/digelogrocori/2006/03/index.html

Most of them are fairly large though.

Jdubs21
11-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Any other new recruiting news...Verbals, Prospects, etc...??

mikelsch
11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Early signing period starts Wed, Nov 8 and goes through Nov 15

Eric Carlson and ???? (or will have to wait until late period)