PDA

View Full Version : Gophers lose to WINONA ST!

lakesbison
11-09-2006, 04:25 AM
50-55.. WOW!!!

READ THIS POST FROM GOPHERHOLE.COM THEY ARE FREAKIN OUT

GopherHole.com Front Page Recruiting Database · News Archive · Gopher Dirt · Search GH.com Contact GH.com

The Hole
> Gopher Basketball
> An Open Plea To Attend North Dakota State on Monday

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Author Comment
parkinglotgopher
(11/8/06 10:41 pm)
Reply An Open Plea To Attend North Dakota State on Monday
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to play the Winona State game off in the "it doesn't matter to us" category, but the dismissive attitude about recent games against small schools is starting to really show. The noise conditions at home games is starting to become those of a road game for the Gophers.

Point of reference: NDSU v. Gopher football. The only reason I knew I wasn't in North Dakota is that I couldn't smell manure (insert Mason joke here). Tonight's basketball game was another perfect example. Someone said there were an equal number of Gopher fans to Winona fans, which I think may have been overselling Gopher attendance. And many of the Gopher faithful were simply sitting to sides quietly while all the Winona fans went insane. When they were on defense late in the game, you could close your eyes and really believe you were watching this game at a gym in Winona.

This is an open plea to everyone and anyone with tickets to show up to the North Dakota State game when the season opens on Monday and try to create some kind of atmosphere. Even if the game seems meaningless to some people, Bison fans will certainly be treating it differently.

MNSnowman
(11/8/06 10:48 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: An Open Plea To Attend North Dakota State on Monday
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree completely.

And if you can't attend, find someone who didn't attend NDSU and will cheer for the Gophers.

Tonight we moved down from our season ticket seats to chair seats (we're two rows behind the chair seats). The area we were in was less than 75% full ... and almost half were WSU fans. Maybe some moved down as we did but the majority were there before the game started and I'd assume had tickets for those seats.

As a result, there was no cohesive fan spirit in the season ticket areas that I could see. But the Winona fans were really pumped ... ours weren't.
Go Gophers! Beat Winona! And Michigan State!

Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
- John Wooden

BleedGopher
(11/8/06 10:49 pm)
Reply We are 0-0 and NDSU will be fired up
"Even if the game seems meaningless to some people, Bison fans will certainly be treating it differently." I would hope that not one single member of the Gopher program, fan base, etc. treats this game as "meaningless." We just lost at home to Winona State which fortunately puts our record at 0-0. But it all changes on Monday night...we can't afford to start the season off on a bad note. We have to win this game.

As my HS coach used to say before every game: "This is the most important game of the year." And he was right. Each game, as it stands before us, IS the most important game of the year.

NDSU walked in to Kohl Shopping Center last year and walked out with a win. They have guys on their team that have a lot to prove as they probably felt they should have been recruited by us....we must be ready...the Bison certainly will.

Go Gophers!!

GopherLady
(11/8/06 10:52 pm)
Reply Re: We are 0-0 and NDSU will be fired up
Great points. That's the thing with College hoops, you can lose a number of games and still have a crack at the national championship. In college FB, every week is a playoff game.

I think one of the most disapointing things for me tonight was the apathy. On and off the court - I felt people didn't care if we won. Well, I care and I was crushed tonight. When a few thousand WSU fans create a home-court enviornment for their team, that alarms me. When we have 7 offensive rebounds and they have 13 more boards than we do, that just pissed me off. We should be lucky that this game was an exhibition game - it doesn't hurt our record, but if we don't use it to fire up, it can hurt our season a great deal.

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Replies An Open Plea To Attend North Dakota State on Monday parkinglotgopher 11/8/06 10:41 pm
Re: An Open Plea To Attend North Dakota State on Monday MNSnowman 11/8/06 10:48 pm
Re: We are 0-0 and NDSU will be fired up GopherLady 11/8/06 10:52 pm
We are 0-0 and NDSU will be fired up BleedGopher 11/8/06 10:49 pm

tcbison
11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
The score was 69-64 Winona State. Gopher's coach said he was glad that this game didn't count.

tcbison
11-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Personally, I wish the Gopher would have won this game by a big margin. That way the Gopher would come in overconfident against us.

broke_back_mnt
11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
They are the D2 defending national champions with 4 starters back. They must be good. Monday is a big day in BISON Basketball.

wcbsas
11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Winona State is a VERY good team.

They have four guys who are legitimate D1 talent, Quincy Henderson a former Creighton University player, Jonte Flowers (who's brother Michael plays for the Badgers) and pre-season D2 All-Americans John Smith and Zach Malvick.

They return their entire roster except one graduated senior.

An under-sized Winona team out-rebounded Minnesota. The Gophers obviously have talent but are lacking inside depth, strength and talent. Their starting center Spencer Tollakson has decent size but is not very nimble and is extremely slow.

Their starting PF Dan Coleman is a good athlete but he is being asked to defend, score and rebound - carrying way too much load for this team.

NDSU should win. If I were a wagering kind of guy I would place some "toothpicks" on the Bison. Lastly the fan support at Minnesota was embarrassing!

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=682396

TaTonka_31
11-09-2006, 03:50 PM
This game will be an early gut-check program game for the Gophers and possibly a job saving game for Monson. The Bison will have to play this game like its the national championship if they hope to win. I look for a very physical game. Beating their pressure for some easy baskets will be key. Keeping our turnovers under 20 a must.

kchats
11-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Bison better beat the Gophers.

Jdubs21
11-10-2006, 04:42 AM
yeah my buddy goes to winona and he says they are pretty good....lets not get to ahead of ourselves with the gophers

D
11-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Don't get too excited over an exhibition score. The Gophs were playing without Jamal Abu-Shamala who will start at the 2 or 3 and can shoot the lights out, probably the 2nd best shooter in the Big Ten after Ilinois' Jamar Smith. Without him they have to rely on McKenzie and Coleman's shooting to open things up. With him in the lineup, that is a guy that the defense has to account for at all times, meaning that his presence will give other guys more open looks and easier lanes to the bucket, which will really aid guys like Westbrook and Payton. Bryce Webster presents a tough matchup for the Bison as he is the exact opposite of Tollackson, a nimble and athletic big man. They can also present problems for the Bison in their ability to spread the floor with a quick pont guard in Wilson, surround him with three 40% 3 pt shooters in Abu-Shamala, McKenzie, and Coleman, and a big guy down low. If there is one thing the Gophers have going for them this year it is that they will have 2 excellent 3 pt shooters on the wing, and a very good yet tentative shooter in Coleman at the 4, and that could lend itself to some upsets IMO. Still though, no better than an 7th place Big Ten team.

wcbsas
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Don't get too excited over an exhibition score. *The Gophs were playing without Jamal Abu-Shamala who will start at the 2 or 3 and can shoot the lights out, probably the 2nd best shooter in the Big Ten after Ilinois' Jamar Smith. *Without him they have to rely on McKenzie and Coleman's shooting to open things up. *With him in the lineup, that is a guy that the defense has to account for at all times, meaning that his presence will give other guys more open looks and easier lanes to the bucket, which will really aid guys like Westbrook and Payton. *Bryce Webster presents a tough matchup for the Bison as he is the exact opposite of Tollackson, a nimble and athletic big man. *They can also present problems for the Bison in their ability to spread the floor with a quick pont guard in Wilson, surround him with three 40% 3 pt shooters in Abu-Shamala, McKenzie, and Coleman, and a big guy down low. *If there is one thing the Gophers have going for them this year it is that they will have 2 excellent 3 pt shooters on the wing, and a very good yet tentative shooter in Coleman at the 4, and that could lend itself to some upsets IMO. *Still though, no better than an 7th place Big Ten team.

HOME TEAM: Minnesota Golden Gophers
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
No. N A M E FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
13 Coleman, Dan f 9-18 1-1 1-2 1 4 5 1 20 0 3 0 0 38
34 Johnson, Damian f 3-6 1-2 0-0 1 3 4 3 7 4 1 2 1 30
50 Tollackson, Spencer c 3-5 0-0 2-3 3 3 6 5 8 0 1 2 1 19
01 McKenzie, Lawrence g 4-16 3-10 2-2 0 2 2 1 13 3 1 0 0 34
05 Wilson, Limar g 1-1 0-0 5-8 0 4 4 3 7 3 0 0 1 20
03 Payton, Kevin 0-0 0-0 2-3 0 3 3 2 2 4 3 1 5 20
12 Nurumbi, Engen 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
20 Westbrook, Lawrence 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 6
23 Smith, Brandon 2-2 0-0 1-2 0 0 0 4 5 3 2 0 1 15
30 Williams, Jonathan 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4
54 Webster, Bryce 1-1 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 12
TEAM ........................................ 1 0 1
TOTALS 23-50 5-13 13-20 7 20 27 21 64 18 12 6 11 200

TOT-FG 1stH: 10-26 38.5% 2ndH: 13-24 54.2% OT: 0-0 00.0% Game: 46.0% Deadbl
3pt-FG 1stH: 4-5 80.0% 2ndH: 1-8 12.5% OT: 0-0 00.0% Game: 38.5% Rebs
FThrow 1stH: 3-4 75.0% 2ndH: 10-16 62.5% OT: 0-0 00.0% Game: 65.0% 3

Then why wouldn't Bryce Webster play against an under-sized Winona team?

Often the biggest difference between high major teams and mid-major teams (and a team like Winona) generally is in the skill and quantity of big men on a team's roster. Minnesota sorely lacks depth and skill at the 4/5 positions. As such teams like Winona, NDSU, Northwestern can end up matching up well against them.

This is a MUST win from NDSU. If you believe you're a major college program that has NIT aspirations then this is a quality win (on the road) that you MUST have.

The Gophers are very beatable!

WYOBISONMAN
11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I agree that NDSU has to beat MN to get the NIT hopes off the ground. The Bison need to bring thier A game on the road for this one.

Coach_W
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree that NDSU has to beat MN to get the NIT hopes off the ground. The Bison need to bring thier A game on the road for this one.

It will be an interesting week for Coach Miles and his squad. Idaho on the road, U of Minn on the road, and then Texas Tech on the road. Team is still pretty young. I don't know anything about Idaho but Minn is totally beatable. Texas Tech would be a tough win. 2-1 after the first week should be the start everyone is after. Not sure about NIT talk just yet.

tcbison
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree that NDSU has to beat MN to get the NIT hopes off the ground. *The Bison need to bring thier A game on the road for this one.

It will be an interesting week for Coach Miles and his squad. *Idaho on the road, U of Minn on the road, and then Texas Tech on the road. *Team is still pretty young. *I don't know anything about Idaho but Minn is totally beatable. *Texas Tech would be a tough win. *2-1 after the first week should be the start everyone is after. *Not sure about NIT talk just yet.

The good news is this team is one year older than last year, and the depth is much better. I think NDSU has a better chance this year to win late in the game, than last year when some games slipped away.

D
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
[quote author=wcbsas link=1163049906/0#9 date=1163167726Then why wouldn't Bryce Webster play against an under-sized Winona team?

Often the biggest difference between high major teams and mid-major teams (and a team like Winona) generally is in the skill and quantity of big men on a team's roster. *Minnesota sorely lacks depth and skill at the 4/5 positions. *As such teams like Winona, NDSU, Northwestern can end up matching up well against them.

This is a MUST win from NDSU. *If you believe you're a major college program that has NIT aspirations then this is a quality win (on the road) that you MUST have.

The Gophers are very beatable!
[/quote]

Why? Because it was an exhibition game. Dan Coleman put in time at the 5 against Winona. Does that mean he is a center? No, he is a perimeter 4 man who is ultra-soft. Why did Westbrook only play 6 minutes after he led them in scoring in their first exhibition game? Why? Because it was an exhibition game. The gamed doesn't count for anyone except the coaching staff, as it lets them get a look at different combinations. Obviously that is what the Gophs did.

kchats
11-11-2006, 01:41 AM
D, so you don't think Minnesota had any interest in beating a division II team? *What benefit does Minnesota get from losing to a division II team? It crushes fan support and kills the teams confidence. Are you saying the Gophers lollygagged around the floor and basically ran plays that they won't use in the regular (non-exhibition) season? *I have to believe that NDSU's men's basketball team is better than the best division II team. *Remember this is the same team with more experience and depth than the team that beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin last year. *That was not an exhibition game either by the way.

After seeing that Winona beat Minnesota I thought boy it would really be embarrassing for NDSU to lose to a them.

D
11-11-2006, 02:18 AM
D, so you don't think Minnesota had any interest in beating a division II team? *What benefit does Minnesota get from losing to a division II team? *It crushes fan support and kills the teams confidence. *Are you saying the Gophers lollygagged around the floor and basically ran plays that they won't use in the regular (non-exhibition) season? *I have to believe that NDSU's men's basketball team is better than the best division II team. *Remember this is the same team with more experience and depth than the team that beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin last year. *That was not an exhibition game either by the way.

After seeing that Winona beat Minnesota I thought boy it would really be embarrassing for NDSU to lose to a them.

No, I'm sure they probably tried to put it together in the last 10 minutes, but in exhibition games the box score really tells a lot. Look at the minutes and how many players played. The Gophs played 11 players, that means that since Jamal Abu-Shamala didn't play, well they played the very end of their bench except for Ryan Saunders who I believe is hurt. If the Gophs REALLY wanted to win, if this game really meant something, would players 9-12 have seen the floor? No. The Gophs will go with a rotation of Tollackson, Coleman, Abu-Shamala, McKenzie, Wilson starting, and Payton, Westbrook, Johnson (Monson has a hard-on over him), and Webster off the bench. Williams is terrible, the Gophers know they wasted a scholarship on Nurumbi who is at best a project, and the hope is to work Smith in, but he cannot shoot it and has issues in the classroom. It was an exhibition game, the offense is strictly the vanilla plays, and defensively the same can be said. No one wants to show anthing. Trust me, I know. Monson has come out and said that they need these exhibition games to "experiment" with the point guard spot. Notice how both PGs played 20 minutes each (Wilson & Payton). Coincidence??? And given their last game was against Bemidji which they won in a thumpin 86-32 without McKenzie and Wilson, it seems even more likely that they needed to experiment with lineup combos in a live setting.

And where did I discount the Bison win over Wisconsin???????? I am not a Gopher fan at all, but I see their team and think that they will give some good teams solid runs because they have very good shooters in Abu-Shamala, McKenzie, and Coleman. Along with that though, they will get destroyed a few times too, when they have bad shooting nights and they should get killed on the boards.

kchats
11-11-2006, 02:52 AM
It just sounded like you said NDSU didn't have a shot because Minnesota is way better than the team that lost to Winona. I'm sorry but NDSU is good enough to beat Minnesota even if they all play.

D
11-11-2006, 03:00 AM
It just sounded like you said NDSU didn't have a shot because Minnesota is way better than the team that lost to Winona. *I'm sorry but NDSU is good enough to beat Minnesota even if they all play.

Didn't say that at all, just that the Bison shouldn't be expected to beat the Gophs. That said, with the Gophs having injury problems and relying on so many new players, it is the best time to play them. Either way, I wouldn't put any mony on the Gophs all year, IMO they'll be terrible hot-cold from game to game.

sambini
11-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Congrats to WINONA STATE++++ Lets go Bison+++

wcbsas
11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Why? *Because it was an exhibition game. *Dan Coleman put in time at the 5 against Winona. *Does that mean he is a center? *No, he is a perimeter 4 man who is ultra-soft. *Why did Westbrook only play 6 minutes after he led them in scoring in their first exhibition game? * Why? *Because it was an exhibition game. *The gamed doesn't count for anyone except the coaching staff, as it lets them get a look at different combinations. *Obviously that is what the Gophs did.

D,

I think you are mis-placed a bit.
There is no way Monson would want to lose this game. He may have had a slightly deper bench than normal but you are supposedly talkign about a high-major basketball program that should have high major players!

Against a D2 team Dan Coleman should be able to play center and have some success.

Minnesota is extremely weak in the post.

They will finish lower than .500 in the Big Ten.

And once again this is a MUST win for NDSU if they have any aspirations of an NIT bid this year!

Jdubs21
11-13-2006, 02:14 AM
yeah the gophers arent to good this year...they lost some big names last year