PDA

View Full Version : Attitude Adjustment?

Ivy
11-14-2006, 07:11 PM
I was at the Minn game and I noticed a couple of players need an attitude adjustment. *Complaining about calls to the ref and not hustling to get up and get back on D after being knocked down. *

This team just didn't show me the same effort as last year's team. *Do a few of our guys feel like playing "me" basketball instead of making it a team effort? *Is the chemistry off with the new guys? *What's up?

Anyone else see this?

mikelsch
11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
A few thoughts...

The expectations are much higher this year, and the Bison won't sneak up on anyone
This team knows they can be competitive against good teams, but need to prove it and not just expect it
It is early in the season and they are trying to work out the kinks (player rotation, offensive/defensive sets, etc)

The MSU-M and Idaho games went so well and the Gopher game went so poorly. The true test of character and maturity will happen on Friday at Texas Tech. They will be dealing with another athletic team that will try to suffocate them like last night. Let's see how this group deals with their first dose of adversity.

westriverbison
11-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree with Greenie, and

If elgible, if they play their best, they would not win March Madness. To qualify at some point in the future would be a MAJOR accomplishment.

Texas Tech and K-State will be MAJOR challenges. I expect they will play better than against UM but they should get beat pretty handily. Anything less than 20 is a major step forward. IMO

MRBISON
11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
I saw some of the same things Ivy....arguing with the calls and so forth...

IMO they looked a little tired and flat. Might have soemthing to do with their travel. I also agree that they are up for another big challenge against Texas Tech.

The one thing that I was most disappointed with was the Bison shooting percent, expecially in the first half. The Gophers also shot very poor which frustrates me as a fan ....because I think the Bison missed a chance to get out to a big lead early in the game... but just couldn't convert any shots.

Not a basketball expert so maybe someone can tell me this.....when the Bison would pass it down low and like 4 gophers would converge on the ball...why didn't the Bison just kick the ball out to one of the 4 open players standing around on the perimeter?

99Bison
11-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I saw some of the same things Ivy....arguing with the calls and so forth...

IMO they looked a little tired and flat. Might have soemthing to do with their travel. I also agree that they are up for another big challenge against Texas Tech.

The one thing that I was most disappointed with was the Bison shooting percent, expecially in the first half. The Gophers also shot very poor which frustrates me as a fan ....because I think the Bison missed a chance to get out to a big lead early in the game... but just couldn't convert any shots.

Not a basketball expert so maybe someone can tell me this.....when the Bison would pass it down low and like 4 gophers would converge on the ball...why didn't the Bison just kick the ball out to one of the 4 open players standing around on the perimeter?

Good question... Head down mostly downlow this game... looks like it was the game plan.

TheDoctor
11-14-2006, 09:36 PM
I'll tell you this....I sat five feet from the court and the officiating was very inconsistent. *>:( It did not favor one team or the other, just very inconsistent. *One second a hand check was called and the next second Nelly was hoisted off the court (by the back of his jersey) and into a tunnel and nothing was called. *The players were more confused (as was I) as to what a foul really was to these guys. *Between team timeouts, tv timeouts, fouls, and traveling calls every 30 seconds, it never allowed either team to get any flow. *P.S.- I am not one complain about officiating as my father has refereed for 25 years and when he reads this he'll be mad at me for blaming the officials for NDSU's own problems. So, * P.S.S.- Sorry Dad! *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *

MRBISON
11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah ...I also kinda thought it might have been their gameplan going into the game......just curious why they really didn't change their plan at halftime when they saw it wasn't working?

MRBISON
11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
All great points B1SON...I thought the calls were inconsistent as well..both ways.....way to many travelling calls!

Also..watching the game at home I to noticed that the commercials seemed to be way to often. No real flow to the game.

Not saying this is why NDSU lost...because the Gophers played with the same inconsistent calls and same game flow.....just saying I noticed the same things that other people noticed

Ivy
11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
I'll tell you this....I sat five feet from the court and the officiating was very inconsistent. *>:( It did not favor one team or the other, just very inconsistent. *One second a hand check was called and the next second Nelly was hoisted off the court (by the back of his jersey) and into a tunnel and nothing was called. *The players were more confused (as was I) as to what a foul really was to these guys. *Between team timeouts, tv timeouts, fouls, and traveling calls every 30 seconds, it never allowed either team to get any flow. *P.S.- I am not one complain about officiating as my father has refereed for 25 years and when he reads this he'll be mad at me for blaming the officials for NDSU's own problems. So, * P.S.S.- Sorry Dad! *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *

The officiating was not good, but players can't complain about it. They surely won't reverse a call due to player complaint and will probably get your number for later on. If something NEEDS to be said, let Miles say it...he isn't shy about getting on the refs if needed.

Also, get up off the floor and hustle down the court! One time Andre got pushed down (no foul called) and the Gophers had an easy score with 5 on 4. Get up and get down there....don't be a lazy baby!

TaTonka_31
11-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Miles mentioned in his post game comments how he thought his team became tight for this game due to expectations. *It was one thing that the U of M got beat by a D2 team but then some of the media and all the NDSU fans were booking a victory for the Bison in advance. *Real Bad Combination going into a Big 10 arena.

Each year this team will have higher expectations and they will learn how to deal with it. *Miles talked about just concentration on executing vs planning ahead for victory. The same thing happened to the Badgers in Madison last year when the Badgers shot 19 for 76. * Were they a bad team? *Obviously not. *

Having said that, this game was up for grabs with just about any decent run for the Bison until about mid-way through the second half. *The score was 6 to 5 Bison with 7 minutes left in the first half. *Three or four baskets during this stretch could have put some pressure on this young Gopher team and changed the whole complexion of the game. *

Those of you that may have played a lot of basketball know that for some reason team shooting can sometimes be contagious. Minnesota had two very short hot streaks and that was the difference. *The Bison just could not get that run. *These two short Gopher runs as well as a few other baskets were triggered by missed long shots on the Bison end. *If we make some of these shots the game is totally different because the Gopher players (Especially McKenzie) were living off these transition opportunities. *

What's funny is that if the Bison Box Score read 27 for 65 instead of 19 for 65 there would be dancing in the streets of Fargo tonight. *Does anyone think that wasn't possible last night? *Chaulk this up as a learning opportunitiy and move on. *Go Bison!

Paulie
11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
NDSU probably could have won if the refs had been more consistent.

jzillmer
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM

Not true. There refs were inconsistent at best, but there was nothing they did that would have changed the outcome of the game.

We have somethings to work on at both ends of the floor, but everything that we did poorly last night is correctable and coach Miles will have these guys back and ready on Friday.

Remember this isn't a football season, we're allowed to lose a game or two along the way and still have a great season. Now if we end up at 2-8 and we're still seeing the same issues we did in the barn then I'll be concerned, for now it's time to focus on Texas Tech.

broke_back_mnt
11-14-2006, 11:39 PM
I saw it the pretty much the same way the Blogger did.

Wasnt sure about the calls it wasnt mentioned at our party but the strength of the Gophers and their ability to force the BISON back outside as well as being able to drive toward the basket, especially as the second half wore on, were big things here.

We thought cold shooting had two affects:

1) led to hesitent, and sometimes poor shot choices
2) Begain to discourage the team

Of course the cold shooting was the difference.

99Bison
11-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah ...I also kinda thought it might have been their gameplan going into the game......just curious why they really didn't change their plan at halftime when they saw it wasn't working?

yep... and the thing we changed at half was d strategy allowing them to get the ball man on man on the low block... heck even I can score in that situation.

99Bison
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I'll tell you this....I sat five feet from the court and the officiating was very inconsistent. >:( It did not favor one team or the other, just very inconsistent. One second a hand check was called and the next second Nelly was hoisted off the court (by the back of his jersey) and into a tunnel and nothing was called. The players were more confused (as was I) as to what a foul really was to these guys. Between team timeouts, tv timeouts, fouls, and traveling calls every 30 seconds, it never allowed either team to get any flow. P.S.- I am not one complain about officiating as my father has refereed for 25 years and when he reads this he'll be mad at me for blaming the officials for NDSU's own problems. So, P.S.S.- Sorry Dad! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you sit the close to the court you will see how bad all bb officiating is... If you ever saw an nba game from that close it is amazing how bad it is.

TaTonka_31
11-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Giving up 63 points to this Gopher team is not that bad. We gave up 70 last year.

I say again, if we go 27 for 65 which is more of a typical shooting percentage we would have won. Even if we go 25 for 65 with two more 3's and four more 2's we tie.

This seems much more plausible explanation for losing this game rather than blaming ref's or coaching stratigies, I think the players and all of their fans are better off looking at this loss from this perspective.

Good shooting is mostly confidence . We all need the confidence that this was not a typical game for this very good team.

Buff01
11-15-2006, 12:45 AM
We wouldn't have won the game last night regardless of the officiating! We are short of heighth, depth and athleticism and it was revealed last night. We need to have our A+ game on if we are to hang with the big boys.

TheDoctor
11-15-2006, 12:55 AM

Not true. There refs were inconsistent at best, but there was nothing they did that would have changed the outcome of the game.

I agree 100%- I was simply explaining the "whining", not excusing the fact that we could get NO penetration. ;)

sambini
11-15-2006, 01:28 AM
The Gophers played very good defense and got the job done. Hats off to them+++

cmav
11-15-2006, 01:33 AM
not only did the gophers play good defense, they had better shot selection than we did. you cant expect to shoot 29% in the barn and come out with a W.

The officiating was inconsistent and the team chemistry was off.

Mr_Meanor
11-15-2006, 01:42 AM
The one thing I noticed was the players seems a little bit scared to take shots. There were many times when a bison player would pass up an open look. It was like they would pass up an open look to make an extra pass that was not needed.

TheDoctor
11-15-2006, 01:56 AM
They were trying to establish an inside game- get some penetration. Something that NEVER happened. :-[

jzillmer
11-15-2006, 01:58 AM
It's not that they were making an extra pass that wasn't needed. It was that we were a step slow all night which made that extra pass get there just too late. A good example was the break when Nelson got thrown out of the gym. If that pass gets there 1 step sooner he's shooting two instead of being in the tunnel without ever getting a handle on the ball.

TheDoctor
11-15-2006, 02:00 AM
It's not that they were making an extra pass that wasn't needed. It was that we were a step slow all night which made that extra pass get there just too late. A good example was the break when Nelson got thrown out of the gym. If that pass gets there 1 step sooner he's shooting two instead of being in the tunnel without ever getting a handle on the ball.

++++++++++++ agreed

Mr_Meanor
11-15-2006, 02:07 AM
I guess what I was getting at was not so much an extra pass....but looking scared to shoot the 10 to 15 foot jumper. There are many times when I remember players having a wide open 10-15 foot jumper but instead of taking it they would put put it on the floor and pull up from about 5 but by them there was always a hand in the face.

cmav
11-15-2006, 02:13 AM
well it certainly didnt look like the team I'm used to watching.

TaTonka_31
11-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Teams with more athletism have been exploiting the Bison with transition baskets after missed shots, especially on missed threes. You just can't let athletes operate in open spaces. We seem to do fine in our half-court base defense. By sending one less man to crash the offensive boards and concentrating on getting back as soon as a shot goes up, we may be able to hang with athletic teams. It happened time and time again last night and last year also against certain teams. The best remedy however is to hit the shots. That was the biggest problem last night.