PDA

View Full Version : Games in the Dome

somebison
09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/140988

Sobolik also hopes to host one or two Bison basketball games this winter.

I am guessing he is talking about the K-State and Minnesota games... I am hoping we play those in the BSA.

Gamehunter
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
since when is MN comming to Fargo? :o I can't believe I missed this.

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 03:24 PM
the women are coming

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Would that be a Gopherette? ;)

MN_BISONS
09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
the women are coming

There is a good joke in that quote, but I think I'm just going to walk away from it. 8-)

Gamehunter
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
the women are coming

I guess I knew that, but this is in the Men's basketball section. I dunno if a women's game would draw enough to justify going in the Dome.

BisBison
09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I think I have to throw in with Hansel, I hope we play those games in the BSA as well. Let's have a sellout and the procrastinators go w/o tickets. Think of it scalpers in the BSA parking lot ;D ;D ;D

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
The women are coming in the men's thread?!?!?!?

sambini
09-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Play them in the BSA++++++++++++

lakesbison
09-28-2006, 03:27 AM
yeah, 20,000 people screaming and yelling would SUCK HUH??

WE GOTS TO USE THE DOME!!!

mebison
09-28-2006, 03:29 AM
There's one guy who would not be pleased to see a DIA move with a new stadium :-/

(hey, we're talking about DIA in every other thread, why not this one too? :D)

TheDoctor
09-28-2006, 03:51 AM
here we go again with the dome poll. *I am for selling the BSA out for the first time since Inniger was coach. *Have you seen the dome for a Concordia football game or the North -South game?? *It's pathetic. *We have to be realistic. *It's going to take at least one more good year to get the fair weather fans on board in Fargo. *While you and I know K-State is big especially because Huggins is back in coaching this year, but the average fan does not know K-state is on the rise. *Huggins has got some BIG recruits coming in in the next couple years.

Tatanka
09-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Have it in the BSA. Pack the place to the rafters, install some decibel meter scoreboards like they had at Mizzou's Hearnes Center, make some noise, and make it a living hell for K State.

In the dome, SU simply loses most of their home field advantage. Believe it. Different shooting looks, etc. in the dome plus the big time decrease in noise (6000 in the BSA vs 6000 in teh dome, no contest. Hell, 6000 in the BSA vs 8000 in the dome, no contest.)

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2006, 06:54 PM
here we go again with the dome poll. *I am for selling the BSA out for the first time since Inniger was coach. *Have you seen the dome for a Concordia football game or the North -South game?? *It's pathetic. *We have to be realistic. *It's going to take at least one more good year to get the fair weather fans on board in Fargo. *While you and I know K-State is big especially because Huggins is back in coaching this year, but the average fan does not know K-state is on the rise. *Huggins has got some BIG recruits coming in in the next couple years.

I agree.

Kepp it comfortable for the kids, and keep the school's interest in priority, which is to have a great showing against a major college basketball program.

Unfortunately some fans are just too greedy and money hungry.

cadillac
09-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Have it in the BSA. *Pack the place to the rafters, install some decibel meter scoreboards like they had at Mizzou's Hearnes Center, make some noise, and make it a living hell for K State. *

In the dome, SU simply loses most of their home field advantage. *Believe it. *Different shooting looks, etc. in the dome plus the big time decrease in noise (6000 in the BSA vs 6000 in teh dome, no contest. *Hell, 6000 in the BSA vs 8000 in the dome, no contest.)
ROCK THE BSA DOME IS NO OUR HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE.

coloradobison
10-02-2006, 01:12 AM
The Dome is far too large and cavernous for a good atmosphere. Games should be played in the BSA where the students are right on top of the court and the fans can get into the game.... why move it to the Dome and have a discussion afterwards about the sections of the living dead.

sambini
10-02-2006, 02:11 AM
++++++++++++++++

mikelsch
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
If the dome wants Bison Basketball, they should leverage support for a smaller basketball-friendly arena next to the Fargodome (ala what the Ralph did with the Betty, but only bigger...7500-8000 seats).

Rumor has it that the developers of the land between Famous Daves and 32nd Ave (www.upfargo.com) want to build a basketball/hockey arena, with the Bison as an anchor tenant. Kind of like the proposed arena downtown, but more supportive of NDSU (and farther away from campus).

An arena like this would be great for the F-M community. It would be able to host high school, college, and pro/semi-pro basketball and hockey games/tourneys. The Fargodome is not conducive to these type of events.

Potential problems for the Bison would be the conflict of moving games off-campus, moving into a building that they don't own, and don't practice in more than 1-2 days per week.

coloradobison
10-02-2006, 10:13 PM
My opinion is that any new arena should be located on campus. While many of the campuses students live off campus, it just seems that it should be on campus. Not much of an argument, more of my own opinion.

As an adendum...it seemed hard enough in the past to get a student turnout at the games at the BSA...maybe moving it off campus might change that, I dont know.

sambini
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++

TaTonka_31
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Why are we spending money to renovate the BSA if there is any schred of hope for a new basketball arena? Take that money and use it to start a fund for a new facility if that is the case. Seems like a waste if remodling the BSA is only a temporary stop gap measure.

land_grant_bison
10-03-2006, 02:44 AM
How much does a decent new stadium actually cost? Since we've raised the 8 mil several months ago I would imagine that we could raise double that before the donations start to plateau. Also I think on campus is essential because once we start to make our mark in basketball the average or subaverage fans will start to come out and support the team. I honestly think that many students don't realize when the basketball games are played and that's why attendence (at times) can be low. I mean come on; would you rather watch some rerun on cable or watch andre smith throw it down?

bisonmike
10-03-2006, 03:58 AM
I think any b-ball arena w/NDSU as the primary tenant needs to somehow be connected to the school. It should either be on the main campus or now that NDSU is going to have a much bigger presence downtown I'm really warming up to the idea of having a downtown arena. Can you imagine how exciting downtown Fargo would be before and after a Mid-Con Tournament game?

imabison
10-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I think any b-ball arena w/NDSU as the primary tenant needs to somehow be connected to the school. It should either be on the main campus or now that NDSU is going to have a much bigger presence downtown I'm really warming up to the idea of having a downtown arena. Can you imagine how exciting downtown Fargo would be before and after a Mid-Con Tournament game?

You must keep this in mind. The Mid Con visitors have already said that they liked the fact that the FFD would be available for the tournament because NDSU does not play its home schedule there. If a new arena was built downtown, and NDSU played its home games there we would not see the Mid Con tourney held in that facility. The same would apply if a new building was built on campus.

TaTonka_31
10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I fail to see how building a new basketball facility would change anything regarding holding a conference tournament at the FFD. :-?

coloradobison
10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
The only thing would be if a new facility was bigger or comparable to the seating available at the dome for basketball, otherwise, I agree with you bisonblogger. I think it would be great for the city, as well as Bison Basketball, if it was to host the mid-con tournament.

TaTonka_31
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
My point was that the reasons the Mid-Con was considering the FFD was that it is a large enough facility and was considered a neutral site for NDSU. Wasn't that the reasoning behind considering FFD in the first place?

Another basketball facility in the area would have no bearing on what the Mid-Con would or wouldn't do.

Hammersmith
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Why are we spending money to renovate the BSA if there is any schred of hope for a new basketball arena? *Take that money and use it to start a fund for a new facility if that is the case. *Seems like a waste if remodling the BSA is only a temporary stop gap measure. *
This is my understanding of the situation:

New multisport facility - $75-100M
New BB-only facility - $30-45M
New BB/Hockey facility - $45-60M
BSA renovation - ~$20M

We need an BSA upgrade/replacement urgently(<5 years). Raising $75-100M in that time frame is next to impossible. Even if we built a new BB-only facility, we would still need to renovate the BSA for the non-revenue sports. A full BSA renovation is the most logical choice. First, we renovate the BSA so that it's acceptable in the short/mid-term for basketball and a good long-term solution for wrestling, indoor track & field, and volleyball(eventually). Next, we start raising funds for the BB facility(probably coinciding with a NCAA post-season appearance/win). Once the money is raised, the BB facility is built on Dakotah Field(Dakotah Arena?) and volleyball is moved from the BBF to the BSA. I would like to see the new BB facility built like Wisconsin's Kohl Center as a BB/Hockey arena, but the cost/attitude might preclude that. Adding hockey facilities would give us options for a future team as well as a possible revenue stream from FM Jets games and NDHSAA tournaments. Just a thought.

Regardless, I think any future NDSU facility needs to be owned and controlled by NDSU. Let's learn from our neighbors to the North what happens when all your revenue sports are played in facilities you don't own.

mebison
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Regardless, I think any future NDSU facility needs to be owned and controlled by NDSU. Let's learn from our neighbors to the North what happens when all your revenue sports are played in facilities you don't own.

Just curious, are you also implying that you don't like the FFD owner/operator setup? Or do you just mean you don't want privately owned facilities?

Hammersmith
10-03-2006, 09:26 PM

Just curious, are you also implying that you don't like the FFD owner/operator setup? *Or do you just mean you don't want privately owned facilities?

I don't know the particulars of our arrangement with the city(set number of dates per year free?), but I think the concessions we got were quite good because the land came from NDSU. I view us as minor shareholders of the Fargodome and I'm happy with the arrangement for the most part. If a playing facility was built off-campus with outside funds, we would totally be at the owners' mercy. I'm not comfortable with that. Take the situation with the Ralph. This is about as good a deal as you can get in a private/public arrangement and it still has problems. UND doesn't get concession revenue, I don't think they have total control over seating/pricing(although I could be wrong), and by the time they get ownership(~30 years?), the arena will be in need of serious refurbishment. If the choice is between a private facility and no facility, then I'd have to go with the private, but if there is any option where we pay for it, that's the one I would prefer. It just seems that every university that has tried non-institution ownership either regrets it, or is trying to replace it with a new school-owned building(UofM).

note: I wouldn't mind the city being a minor shareholder of a new BB/Hockey facility if they kicked in the difference to add the hockey capability. Setup a reverse Fargodome arrangement where the city would get x number of days per year that don't conflict with Bison games.

IowaBison
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I think that a lot of people to need to sit back and realize that the Ralph isn't sticking it to UND.

It is very costly to run a facility, especially one as high-quality as the Ralph. Given the limited amount of non-UND revenue opportunities, I think their management is doing very well.

For God's sakes look who runs the place, the only person not on the board who could be more pro-UND would be Engelstad himself.

The issue in Grand Forks isn't public-private partnerships, it's simple economics.

Bison_Dan
10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
I think that a lot of people to need to sit back and realize that the Ralph isn't sticking it to UND.

It is very costly to run a facility, especially one as high-quality as the Ralph. *Given the limited amount of non-UND revenue opportunities, I think their management is doing very well.

For God's sakes look who runs the place, the only person not on the board who could be more pro-UND would be Engelstad himself.

The issue in Grand Forks isn't public-private partnerships, it's simple economics.

No one can claim to know how well and not the rea is run without knowing what it costs are and what their income is. Best keep secret in the world, even the und fans don't know. ;)

IowaBison
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM
not true at all.

they were short $400 k last year.

as an affiliated entity, some of their financials are reported to (and through) the NDUS.

also know that the Englestad foundation gave just over 500k based on their IRS forms.

you might not have a cash flow sheet, but you can get a very good picture on publicly available information.

bisonmike
10-06-2006, 12:15 AM
I like the idea of having the mid-con tournament at the dome. My dream would be if we could host an opening round of the big dance at the dome!

Bisonguy
10-24-2006, 02:08 AM
An interesting twist- Bison in south Fargo? (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=143485&section=News)

Seems about as far-fetched as the downtown arena, but there is mention of the Fargodome wanting to host more Bison BB games.

99Bison
10-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah... S Fargo, off campus, bad idea for bison. Good idea for developer.

WYOBISONMAN
10-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Yeah... S Fargo, off campus, bad idea for bison. Good idea for developer.

I agree.....KEEP IT ON CAMPUS!!!!

sambini
10-24-2006, 03:35 AM
I agree Wyoming+++++++++

Ivy
10-24-2006, 04:27 AM
I would HATE to see NDSU play in an arena in South Fargo. *I wouldn't like to see the Bison basketball teams play in the Fargodome either --- it's too multipurpose -- just like the BSA. *

We need a new basketball-dedicated facility near the current NDSU athletic venues on campus.

BisonBacker
10-24-2006, 04:39 AM
You guys beat me to it. Off campus arenas for any sport are a bad idea. Keep it on campus.

TheDoctor
10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
You guys beat me to it. *Off campus arenas for any sport are a bad idea. *Keep it on campus.

Not to mention that the area in question is West Fargo school district. Therefore, your tax dollars generated from the games will not be staying in the city of Fargo.

scottheck
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
You guys beat me to it. *Off campus arenas for any sport are a bad idea. *Keep it on campus.

How can you say that? *Look what it's done for UofM football?!? ::) ::) ;)

Mr._Bill
10-25-2006, 02:55 AM
2007: Renovate BSA for bison basketball. Use the dome as leverage for hosting Mid-Con events.

2012: Begin pursuit of a 12,000 seat basketball (and potentially hockey) arena west of the dome on campus.

2017: Begin pursuit of a 35,000 seat outdoor football stadium on campus as the bison move 1A in football.

TheDoctor
10-25-2006, 03:13 AM
2007: *Renovate BSA for bison basketball. *Use the dome as leverage for hosting Mid-Con events.

2012: *Begin pursuit of a 12,000 seat basketball (and potentially hockey) arena west of the dome on campus. *

2017: *Begin pursuit of a 35,000 seat outdoor football stadium on campus as the bison move 1A in football.

The BSA is just a TERRIBLE place to watch basketball. The sight lines are terrible and there is no excuse not to play in a bowl.

Mr._Bill
10-25-2006, 03:20 AM
2007: *Renovate BSA for bison basketball. *Use the dome as leverage for hosting Mid-Con events.

2012: *Begin pursuit of a 12,000 seat basketball (and potentially hockey) arena west of the dome on campus. *

2017: *Begin pursuit of a 35,000 seat outdoor football stadium on campus as the bison move 1A in football.

The BSA is just a TERRIBLE place to watch basketball. *The sight lines are terrible and there is no excuse not to play in a bowl. *

Yeah, thus the renovation starting in 2007. The renovated BSA will be much improved. What's your point, am I missing something? Not following you man.

TheDoctor
10-25-2006, 05:03 AM

The BSA is just a TERRIBLE place to watch basketball. *The sight lines are terrible and there is no excuse not to play in a bowl. *

Yeah, thus the renovation starting in 2007. * The renovated BSA will be much improved. *What's your point, am I missing something? *Not following you man.

No amount of money is going to fix the BSA. *You are still going to come in the door and have the court be on the same level you entered the BSA on. *We need to play in a venue similar to the Bismarck civic center or I guess the Fargo Dome (like most D1 basketball facilities), where you enter the buidling halfway between the court and the ceiling. *It gives you that feeling like your in the mix. *So, I like your timeline, just play basketball in the Dome until the 2012 facility is complete and use the BSA renovation money for long term use. *Create a practice, track and weight facility out of the BSA.

Go_Herd
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
[quote author=On Bison link=1159359936/30#44 date=1161746409][quote author=B1SON link=1159359936/30#43 date=1161746028][quote author=On Bison link=1159359936/30#42 date=1161744953]2007: *Renovate BSA for bison basketball. *Use the dome as leverage for hosting Mid-Con events.

My question is about the Basketball Arena (if we ever get one), can Fargo ever get excited about basketball and put more than 3,000-4,000 people in the stands. I can't wait this year for basketball, especially with all the talent we got coming back. I just think its going to take a lot of above average years to get people excited about b-ball, some conference wins, nit bids, who knows maybe NCAA tournament (so maybe your year of 2012 will be it). What else would the arena be used for, to have some cash flow. Because if we do build one and its only half full thats not gonna pay the bills.

TaTonka_31
10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I think you make some good points Go_Herd. *Building a 12,000 capacity arena in the Fargo area and then have it compete for events with the Fargo Dome could make both of these facilities White Elephants because they both would most likely operate in the red. *

It also seems to me that the first step in building the attendance for basketball past the 3000 to 4000 range consistently will mean that more students at NDSU will need to get excited about the basketball program. *Building off campus could really kill any hope of that happening. *

Having said that, I think the athletic department is right in their thinking to renovate the BSA as much as possible for the near future and fill that facility on a consistent basis for a number of years then look at other options. *If their are several hundred or maybe even several thousand people being turned down for season tickets each year in the future, then we will know that the demand is there for a bigger facility. *Hopefully that can be on campus somewhere. *

99Bison
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
2007: Renovate BSA for bison basketball. Use the dome as leverage for hosting Mid-Con events.

2012: Begin pursuit of a 12,000 seat basketball (and potentially hockey) arena west of the dome on campus.

2017: Begin pursuit of a 35,000 seat outdoor football stadium on campus as the bison move 1A in football.

The BSA is just a TERRIBLE place to watch basketball. The sight lines are terrible and there is no excuse not to play in a bowl.

The fargodome is way worse for bb watching...

Tatanka
10-28-2006, 04:36 PM

The fargodome is way worse for bb watching...
++

Bisonguy
11-01-2006, 03:21 AM
From the WDAY news-

Sounds like the Fargodome finance committee and some other committee are proceeding with talks to NDSU about being the home of Bison basketball. Maybe a 5-8,000 seat arena next to the Fargodome could be a solution? :-?

The developer that is proposing a southside arena is also supposedly talking to NDSU, but I see that issue dead in the water. ::)

TheBisonator
11-01-2006, 03:54 AM
From the WDAY news-

Sounds like the Fargodome finance committee and some other committee are proceeding with talks to NDSU about being the home of Bison basketball. Maybe a 5-8,000 seat arena next to the Fargodome could be a solution? *:-?

The developer that is proposing a southside arena is also supposedly talking to NDSU, but I see that issue dead in the water. *::)

Can you elaborate on this?? Are there plans to build an attatched arena to the Dome?? Do they want the hoops teams to just play in the current dome, or what??

Bisonguy
11-01-2006, 04:30 AM
From the WDAY news-

Sounds like the Fargodome finance committee and some other committee are proceeding with talks to NDSU about being the home of Bison basketball. Maybe a 5-8,000 seat arena next to the Fargodome could be a solution? *:-?

The developer that is proposing a southside arena is also supposedly talking to NDSU, but I see that issue dead in the water. *::)

Can you elaborate on this?? Are there plans to build an attatched arena to the Dome?? Do they want the hoops teams to just play in the current dome, or what??

The attached arena comment was mine. Guess I should have made it more clear. :-[

Basically, they just stated that the Fargodome was going to talk to NDSU about what would be required to play all games in the Fargodome. I expounded upon that with the attached arena talk, seeing as how it was proposed by the city previously. The DI momentum and Bison BB team might be the weight that tips the scale over the 60% vote this time.

TheBisonator
11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
From the WDAY news-

The attached arena comment was mine. Guess I should have made it more clear. *:-[

Basically, they just stated that the Fargodome was going to talk to NDSU about what would be required to play all games in the Fargodome. I expounded upon that with the attached arena talk, seeing as how it was proposed by the city previously. The DI momentum and Bison BB team might be the weight that tips the scale over the 60% vote this time. *

I think what may happen eventually is a 6,500 or so seat arena built on the current west parking lot and attached to the Dome. NDSU and the city will come up with a plan where maybe half of the cost will come from donations/fundraising and half from a sales tax extension. Maybe the arena will cost around $30 million, and $15 will come from NDSU and the other $15 would come from that sales tax, and that would be put to a citywide vote. I think a vote for that would win, if the populace can be convinced that it would be a useful, helpful expansion to what is basically the main civic facility of the city. Also that it would be a facility that NDSU and the city needs. Maybe this arena could be seen as a replacement for the Civic Center.

Hammersmith
11-01-2006, 04:46 AM
According to the 10pm broadcast, the Fargodome Authority voted to seriously look into hosting all of the Bison basketball games. The first step will be an internal assessment of the profitability of this idea. Then, if it makes financial sense, the FD Authority would begin talks with NDSU to see if an arrangement could be reached. The FD Authority commented that this would mean the Fargodome would not be eligible for the Mid-Con tournament (actually, they didn't specify Mid-Con, but that's what they meant). Tayler commented that he was concerned about scheduling issues. Specifically, whether all games would be played in the Dome or if the teams would have to shuffle between the Dome and the BSA. Regarding the south Fargo developer, Taylor said that playing off-campus would be a "huge issue".

Reading between the lines, I would say that there is a long way to go before we see Bison hoops in the Dome on a regular basis. Even if the findings show a possible profit, I think Taylor(not to mention Tim and Amy) is going to be a hard sell. The keys will be attendance and the BSA renovation. Without significantly increased attendance, there is no way it will be profitable for the Dome. And a move to the Dome could hurt, even kill, the necessary BSA renovation. The BB interest is what's driving the fundraising, and losing that would jeopardize the remaining $8-10M that needs to be raised.

If you want to watch the segment, click the following link, select "WDAY" and then click "WDAY at 10:00 PM". The segment is at about 5:07, after the George Ellis story.

WDAY Broadcast (http://www.in-forum.com/av/index.cfm?filename=wdaytv10)

TheBisonator
11-01-2006, 04:57 AM
According to the 10pm broadcast, the Fargodome Authority voted to seriously look into hosting all of the Bison basketball games. The first step will be an internal assessment of the profitability of this idea. Then, if it makes financial sense, the FD Authority would begin talks with NDSU to see if an arrangement could be reached. The FD Authority commented that this would mean the Fargodome would not be eligible for the Mid-Con tournament (actually, they didn't specify Mid-Con, but that's what they meant). Tayler commented that he was concerned about scheduling issues. Specifically, whether all games would be played in the Dome or if the teams would have to shuffle between the Dome and the BSA. Regarding the south Fargo developer, Taylor said that playing off-campus would be a "huge issue".

Reading between the lines, I would say that there is a long way to go before we see Bison hoops in the Dome on a regular basis. Even if the findings show a possible profit, I think Taylor(not to mention Tim and Amy) is going to be a hard sell. The keys will be attendance and the BSA renovation. Without significantly increased attendance, there is no way it will be profitable for the Dome. And a move to the Dome could hurt, even kill, the necessary BSA renovation. The BB interest is what's driving the fundraising, and losing that would jeopardize the remaining $8-10M that needs to be raised.

If you want to watch the segment, click the following link, select "WDAY" and then click "WDAY at 10:00 PM". The segment is at about 5:07, after the George Ellis story.

WDAY Broadcast (http://www.in-forum.com/av/index.cfm?filename=wdaytv10)

Even when the BSA gets renovated, there's no way it'll be anything more than like spraying Lysol on a pile of diarrhea.

NDSUstudent
11-01-2006, 05:03 AM
I still think NDSU is throwing 16 million away by sticking it into the BSA and not building a nice new arena for say 25-30 million. Just look what UNI is doing for $25 million.....

http://www.uni-foundation.org/foundation/SF/images/UNI-Arena-UpHi-NE-final_jpg.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiaqNUhFoE8AyNSjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=1383p1ier/EXP=1162446634/**http%3a//graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/genrel/facilities/panther-suite.jpg

Mens basketball is one of our revenue sports and probably the most important one in terms of drawing exposure. I know the BSA needs updates but a new basketball arena should take priority. I like the way the Bisonater thinks take our 16 million and go to the city and ask for 16 million and build a beautiful venue that a DI basketball team deserves. I bet if alumni saw the drawings for a new arena they may even be willing to donate some more, I think it would be at least worth a try.

Hammersmith
11-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Even when the BSA gets renovated, there's no way it'll be anything more than like spraying Lysol on a pile of diarrhea.
Agreed, though I wouldn't have used quite that phrase. However, we need an improved facility for indoor track & field, wrestling and (eventually)volleyball. Beyond that, the training facilities, offices, locker rooms and classrooms desperately need the update. Since we don't have a spare $75-100M lying around for a new multi-sport facility, a renovated BSA it is. The basketball portion just needs to be good enough to get by until $35-50M can be raised for a new BB-only(or BB/hockey) facility. I would like to see that campaign begin after the Bison's first Big Dance appearance; hopefully in 2009.

RedRiver
11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
NDSU plans to finalize the renovation plans for the BSA by the end of this year so the Dome has to react to this situation fairly fast.

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=144709

BisonBacker
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I have been saying all along that putting money into the BSA is a waste. Glad to see some others think the same. Hopefully the powers at NDSU will see that and not dump all that $$$ into a outdated facility. It is what it is, a building that served its purpose but is no longer feasible even if renovated.

Hambone
11-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Haven't really paid attention yet (and sorry if it's already been discussed), but are the Bison playing any b-ball games in the dome this year?

I'd also think it would be beneficial to put the money into a new arena as discussed rather than renovate the BSA. I like what UNI is doing for $25M....

roadwarrior
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
A large portion of the $$$ to be spent on the BSA are for the following: new weight room (on ground floor), basketball practice facility, all new office areas, new locker rooms, new track surface. From what I know, the only major portion of the money being spent for using the BSA as a basketball arena would be for all new seating.

Short term I hope to see us playing in the remodeled BSA until we build up enough interest for an all new arena, whether university built or Fargodome built.

sambini
11-02-2006, 02:16 AM
I agree Road.++++

Bison_Dan
11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
A large portion of the $$$ to be spent on the BSA are for the following: *new weight room (on ground floor), basketball practice facility, all new office areas, new locker rooms, new track surface. *From what I know, the only major portion of the money being spent for using the BSA as a basketball arena would be for all new seating.

Short term I hope to see us playing in the remodeled BSA until we build up enough interest for an all new arena, whether university built or Fargodome built.

I agree - I'd like to see a new arena attached to the west side of the BSA in the future.

bisonbballfan
11-03-2006, 05:59 AM
First off, playing bball in the dome would be horrible. It is a football stadium, and it would just look like an empty football stadium with a bball court. Currently we do not have the fan support to fill up the dome, hell we can barely get 50 students at the games. I say build a new 7,500 seat stadium on top of old dakota field. They could call it something like the the dakota fieldhouse. I think that would make for a more intimate setting, and it would keep some of the tradition of the school. Just throwing out some ideas, tell me what you think.

Ivy
11-04-2006, 03:14 AM
First off, playing bball in the dome would be horrible. It is a football stadium, and it would just look like an empty football stadium with a bball court. Currently we do not have the fan support to fill up the dome, hell we can barely get 50 students at the games. I say build a new 7,500 seat stadium on top of old dakota field. They could call it something like the the dakota fieldhouse. I think that would make for a more intimate setting, and it would keep some of the tradition of the school. Just throwing out some ideas, tell me what you think.

I agree that NDSU's BB teams need a basketball dedicated facility. *Football practice field area would be a good place for a basketball arena. *(relocate FB practice fields closer to the Dome now that the locker rooms and coaches offices are there.) *6000-8000 seats is a good size. *

Side notes -- are they really not going to put video screens on North/South sides of the scoreboard in the BSA? *Is all of that new techy stuff made to be moved to a new venue? *Also, I did notice that the video work on the video boards is a lot better this year. *They had a camera guy under each of the hoops and were doing instant replays during the women's exh. game.

Hammersmith
11-04-2006, 03:41 AM
I agree that NDSU's BB teams need a basketball dedicated facility. *Football practice field area would be a good place for a basketball arena. *(relocate FB practice fields closer to the Dome now that the locker rooms and coaches offices are there.) *6000-8000 seats is a good size. *

Side notes -- are they really not going to put video screens on North/South sides of the scoreboard in the BSA? *Is all of that new techy stuff made to be moved to a new venue? *Also, I did notice that the video work on the video boards is a lot better this year. *They had a camera guy under each of the hoops and were doing instant replays during the women's exh. game.
I'd like to see a 10,000-12,000 seat, 2-deck arena set up so that the upper deck can be closed off to create a more intimate feel. Good venue right away while crowds are small with easy expansion as Bison basketball takes off.

Techie stuff: I'm pretty sure the scoreboard can be moved without a big problem. It was purchased as part of the BSA renovation, so it will probably be taken down during construction and raised back up after completion. I don't see why it couldn't be raised up in a new arena, if so desired. I also believe that a lot of the system that controls the advanced aspects of the scoreboard was part of the Fargodome video production upgrade. I could be wrong about that, though. I'm even less sure of a rumor I heard regarding the videoscreens. Supposedly, they are very heavy and the roof trusses could not support the weight of four screens. The scoreboard chassis could be upgraded by Daktronics if the roof is strengthened during the renovation. Treat that as rumor, not fact, until somebody in-the-know confirms it.

mikelsch
11-05-2006, 04:09 AM
True statement --- current structure cannot support a heavier scoreboard. Adjustments would have to be made to add video to the other sides.

Hammerhead
11-05-2006, 06:30 AM
That's what they do in the Rose Garden when Portland's minor league hockey team plays or there is a smaller concert that can only fill half the seats. Heck, you could even not buy chairs for the upper levels until they are needed.

I say build a new 7,500 seat stadium on top of old dakota field. They could call it something like the the dakota fieldhouse. I think that would make for a more intimate setting, and it would keep some of the tradition of the school. Just throwing out some ideas, tell me what you think.

Gully
11-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Hopefully at some point there can be a new arena for BB....and if they do that, I'm sure they'll make it like the Kohl center so that we can play.................hockey!

RedRiver
11-09-2006, 09:53 PM
As reported in a Forum article, a Dome Authority subcommittee duscussed the option of adding a basketball arena to the dome's west side and extending the dome sales tax to help pay for it.

Bisonguy
11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
As reported in a Forum article, a Dome Authority subcommittee duscussed the option of adding a basketball arena to the dome's west side and extending the dome sales tax to help pay for it.

The plot thickens........

Ivy
11-09-2006, 10:57 PM

Excellent...if the dome is to get Bison basketball, this is the only way it should happen.

mikelsch
11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds like the Dome is exploring about $1 million in modifications to make basketball more intimate for the immediate future. *The coaches' main concerns are the open spaces and some seats being too far away. *Other concerns are adequate practice time and game scheduling. *If those were fixed -- the setup would be nice (a lot nicer than the BSA).

Also, the article mentioned building an adjacent arena 3-5 years down the road with a combination of taxpayer and NDSU contributed funds. *In my opinion, NDSU would have to pay a nice chunk (25-50%) for the taxpayers to extend the Fargodome sales tax.

If the immmediate and future plans happen, the Bison will be set up nicely for basketball. *Also, the BSA could be renovated into primarily an office and training facility, and remain the home for indoor track/field competitions, etc. *

Tatanka
11-10-2006, 03:08 AM

Excellent...if the dome is to get Bison basketball, this is the only way it should happen.
++

bisonranch
11-10-2006, 03:15 AM

Round 2. Didn't they try the same thing in 2000?

bisonranch
11-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Old news, but it even made ESPN. *http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2646396

mikelsch
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM

Round 2. *Didn't they try the same thing in 2000?

This round would be completely different. Won't be touted as a hockey arena, and won't be asking the taxpayers to pay for the whole thing.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2006, 10:01 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/gen/img/nov06/uwm1119.jpg

http://www.uni.edu/mcleod/gallery/images/20061121WrestlingVIaSt_R140.JPG

All this could be ours for 25 million, NDSU should call up the dome and get it done. Of course I would much rather see NDSU just raise the 25-30 million and build and run the arena themselves but apparently the school would rather spend 8-16 million fixing up the relic that is the BSA(which I strongly disagree with). I think our basketball program deserves to have a real arena for a change, that was built primarily for hoops. Volleyball and wrestling could also use this arena as well, the only sport that would be left out is the track team and in my opinion they can wait since they already have a first class outdoor facility.

Coach_W
11-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Its important that a track program in this part of the country have good outdoor facility.

99Bison
11-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Can't forget the BSA remodel is as much about offices, weightroom, etc. as it is about BB arena. I don't think anyone would disagree that a new bb arena is needed, but the $$ (which in reality means time) is what will take.

In other words, even if NDSU can build an arena for 30M, you are still going to need nearly 38M in order to remodel the BSA anyway... Why not do what you can as a stop gap? Now if the fargodome want's to build it, that sounds good to me as long as they don't take forever.

NDSUFREAK10
11-25-2006, 05:21 AM
I just hope that the city doesnt build it and own it like the FFD. It would be great for NDSU to own a new basketball arena. Plus we need one!

BisonBacker
11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Can't forget the BSA remodel is as much about offices, weightroom, etc. as it is about BB arena. I don't think anyone would disagree that a new bb arena is needed, but the $$ (which in reality means time) is what will take.

In other words, even if NDSU can build an arena for 30M, you are still going to need nearly 38M in order to remodel the BSA anyway... Why not do what you can as a stop gap? Now if the fargodome want's to build it, that sounds good to me as long as they don't take forever.
Thats all well and good but I don't see where 8-16 million is needed to build new offices. I have said all along that putting that kind of money into the BSA is a waste.

Bison13
11-25-2006, 03:31 PM
I could see this fundraising taking forever because people dont know where they are putting their money. If NDSU actually has a good plan, a concrete plan on what they are going to do for the basketball team, then the fundraising should go a little more smoothly. I can see many people being hesitant putting money towards the BSA if they think another plan for a basketball arena comes along...

99Bison
11-25-2006, 03:40 PM
The 8M goal for the BSA is done, has been for a few months now...
http://www.ndsufoundation.com/campaign/goals/charts.htm

Regarding cost of BSA remodel... Not just new offices, includes remodel offices, weightrooms, track, locker rooms, the building itself, etc, etc... it's not cheap and 8M is not a lot for a big building like the BSA now days (regardless, take 2M off for just BB stuff that we wouldn't have to do, so you have 6M now).

Don't get me wrong I would love to see a new BB arena and that has been part of the plan all along...

99Bison
11-25-2006, 03:43 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/gen/img/nov06/uwm1119.jpg

http://www.uni.edu/mcleod/gallery/images/20061121WrestlingVIaSt_R140.JPG

All this could be ours for 25 million, NDSU should call up the dome and get it done. Of course I would much rather see NDSU just raise the 25-30 million and build and run the arena themselves but apparently the school would rather spend 8-16 million fixing up the relic that is the BSA(which I strongly disagree with). I think our basketball program deserves to have a real arena for a change, that was built primarily for hoops. Volleyball and wrestling could also use this arena as well, the only sport that would be left out is the track team and in my opinion they can wait since they already have a first class outdoor facility.

Never been there, but by the looks of it not sure this is the ideal arena for BB... Suites, sponsorship opportunities, etc. seem limited in there... of course this is better than what we have now but if we are going to spend the money do it right with an extra 5M.

kchats
11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Gene Taylor said UNI's arena is pretty bare bones and that NDSU would want a much nicer arena with more amenities. I think renovating the BSA and generating excitement about the basketball programs is the best way to do this. Once the team is consistently winning and making the NCAA tournament or threatening to make the NCAA tournament it will be much easier to raise funds for a basketball arena worthy of NDSU. Let's fix up the BSA and continue to build the basketball teams. I would rather do it right than rush to build a cheap arena quickly while ignoring the BSA.

NDSUFREAK10
11-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Agreed. Take the precious time to build an arena that can hold a fast growing volleyball team, a competitive wrestleing team, and that can give a fun atmosphere to men's and women's basketball. (plus it will help with recruiting!! 8-))

TheDoctor
11-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Both sides make sense, I don't know what to think. I do know this, I don't want the Bison playing home games on the south side of town. :-?

NDSUFREAK10
11-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Oh come on!! South Side is where it's at! ;D

NDSUstudent
11-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I just don't want to see NDSU basketball stuck in the BSA for the long term. The last thing I want to see is basketball in the BSA for another 20 years just because the 8-16 million dollar renovation made it just good enough for DI hoops. I think DI basketball has a lot of potential at NDSU and if we give it the right tools it will prosper greatly. Some of that is in place now with Tim and Amy but the BSA is still a big black eye and will only improve slightly after the renovation. I know a great arena isn't everything and will never make a program successful but I do feel the caliber of the faciltiy is very important in terms of recruiting and retaining coaches because they have to call that facility home.

Really, I hope NDSU spends around 8 million and renovates the BSA which will improve things for other sports long term and give basketball some short term relief cause even though I dislike the BSA I can see it needs an upgrade. But as soon ground breaks on the renovation NDSU needs to have a plan in place for giving basketball a proper facility. I don't want to see any thoughts of this will do for now or lets wait until NDSU basketball has some more success because we need to be proactive with DI hoops. Tim Miles has done a great job on putting basketball on the right track and NDSU needs to keep that ball rolling. After the renovation of the BSA we should start fundraising and doing whatever is needed in obtaining a new on-campus arena for our basketball program. NDSU should have some plans drawn up to show that the BSA is only a short term fix for basketball. That will make it a priority and will show boosters or whoever else that wants to see a new arena built an idea of what they are paying for.

BisonBacker
11-27-2006, 02:16 AM
A large portion of the $$$ to be spent on the BSA are for the following: *new weight room (on ground floor), basketball practice facility, all new office areas, new locker rooms, new track surface. *From what I know, the only major portion of the money being spent for using the BSA as a basketball arena would be for all new seating.

Thats all fine but how many times can NDSU go back to the well and ask the donors for more money? The question they will hear I would think is why didn't you spend the money on a new basketball only facility in the first place when you knew you were going to need it. Yes the upgrades for wrestling, track and volleyball are important but I don't care who you are your not going to sell those as revenue sports like you can basketball. Basketball needs the new facility first and then work on the others. It should be looked at in terms of revenue generating sports. How much more interest would there be if we had a first class facility for basketball as opposed to a facelift for the BSA. That's like saying your going to give a 90 year old woman a facelift and expect to get Sandra Bullock or Cameron Diaz when your done. It isn't going to happen, your going to waste 15-20 mil and get Phyllis Dyler and I don't care how many six packs you pour down my throat beer goggles ain't working on that!

kchats
11-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey NDSU needs to renovate the BSA. The FargoDome Authority is talking of getting going on an attached arena for basketball that would require a vote to extend the sales tax to raise the money. Renovating the BSA gets the team in a nicer arena and provides the fans a better viewing area. Getting this renovation done soon helps the programs more than sitting on the money and trying to raise the additional funds for an arena. If the FargoDome goes through with their plans NDSU might get an arena on campus that will be a great basketball only arena but with rent and number of dates agreements the BSA basketball court will come in handy anyway. It will also become a great volleyball arena as the program grows and becomes more popular. Let's fix the BSA up so recruits get to see that NDSU is progressive in keeping facilities maintained and upgraded.

TheDoctor
11-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Oh come on!! South Side is where it's at! ;D

ummmmmmmmmm............ negatory! ;)

I love the fact that I can go to NDSU to watch games and work, the Red Hawks, and the Jets without traveling south of 15th ave. N. South may have everything else, but we have the major sports baby! :D

BisonBacker
11-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey NDSU needs to renovate the BSA. *The FargoDome Authority is talking of getting going on an attached arena for basketball that would require a vote to extend the sales tax to raise the money. *Renovating the BSA gets the team in a nicer arena and provides the fans a better viewing area. *Getting this renovation done soon helps the programs more than sitting on the money and trying to raise the additional funds for an arena. *If the FargoDome goes through with their plans NDSU might get an arena on campus that will be a great basketball only arena but with rent and number of dates agreements the BSA basketball court will come in handy anyway. *It will also become a great volleyball arena as the program grows and becomes more popular. *Let's fix the BSA up so recruits get to see that NDSU is progressive in keeping facilities maintained and upgraded.

Oh that will be just great, then they can get hassled trying to practice in the city owned BBall facility just the same as they now do the FFD. Not only that but someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have to pay extra per the use of the FFD outside of the planned games? Isn't this why we practice outside of the FFD and only play there on gameday? I would much rather see a NDSU owned facility and if after all efforts have been exhausted to raise the necessary funding then go with the city owned approach. Pumpiing money into the BSA like I said before would be like putting money into a facelift for Phyllis Dyler, pretty much a complete waste of $$$$$

RedRiver
11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
When are the plans for the BSA remodeling to be done? Last spring the architect was hired. The BSA project sure has been a slow process.

Bison_Dan
11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I would like to see the costs split between the city and NDSU for a new venue. *10,000 seats with lux. boxes. *That way NDSU will have alot to say about using it.

mikelsch
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
When are the plans for the BSA remodeling to be done? *Last spring the architect was hired. *The BSA project sure has been a slow process.

It's been a long process because of (1) raising the money (2) originally was planned to include football operations (3) proposals for basketball to be at FargoDome or new arena by dome or in south fargo

Goal for quite some time is to start BSA renovations + additions in spring/summer of 2007. Final planning should be wrapped up in the near future.

RedRiver
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
When are the plans for the BSA remodeling to be done? *Last spring the architect was hired. *The BSA project sure has been a slow process.

It's been a long process because of (1) raising the money (2) originally was planned to include football operations (3) proposals for basketball to be at FargoDome or new arena by dome or in south fargo

Goal for quite some time is to start BSA renovations + additions in spring/summer of 2007. *Final planning should be wrapped up in the near future.

Thanks for the update. Had some out of town visitors at the Bison game and their comments were that this sure isn't a DI arena. Hope something gets done by the time the current group are seniors.

IowaBisonToo
11-27-2006, 05:13 PM
If it ever comes to the point that the city adds on to the Dome, NDSU better put a nice contract together where they don't get jobbed when it comes to using the facility. Make sure there's enough practice times available, etc. without having to compete with concerts, shows, etc.

roadwarrior
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Basketball practice courts (2) are almost a sure bet to be built in the addition to the BSA.

IABZN
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
I haven't taken time to read all the posts here, but will give my opnion. I went to a few Fargo Fever games in the dome, and thought the setup was 100 times the venue of the BSA. For those of you that picture the court at the 50 yard line it is not setup like that. The south bleachers move to the north end, and become the south bleacher for either basketball or hockey, You have the north press boxes in place already, score boards, video screens everything is there. I think it is a no brainer if NDSU can average 6000 fans, then move it to the Fargodome. Until that happens leave it in the BSA, if fans are not interested in basketball, there is no sense in spending the money.

Bisonguy
11-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Heard on WDAY news tonight (listening as I was driving home) that the Fargodome, NDSU staff (presumably Gene and co.), and Mayor Walaker were meeting tonight to discuss the needs for an NDSU basketball arena. Walalker is backing the idea of an 8-9,000 seat arena attached to the Fargodome. The cost would be around $40-50 MM, and funding would come form the city, Fargodome, NDSU, and the private sector.

SDbison
11-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I would much rather see the new basketball arena attached to the BSA, where dacotah field was located. Why attach it to the dome? That will take too many parking spaces away and crowd the tailgate area. Also hope the new basketball arena will be built to hold closer to 10,000. 8000 to 9000.......thats not much bigger than the BSA. I thought max is like 7500, restricted view seats and all.

NDSUFREAK10
11-29-2006, 01:28 AM
If they do build a new arena what would would look like? Is there any arena that we would model it after. I know I saw the UNI basketball arena and it is alright, but I would like something a little different looking.
Any ideas on that?

roadwarrior
11-29-2006, 02:14 AM
If there is any hope of a City of Fargo/NDSU partnership in building a new basketball facility, I would think that it would be attached to and run as part of the Fargodome. (I think the city would insist on this.) Attaching it to the south side of the Fargodome would make more sense in my mind. Why disrupt the street that runs on the west side of the dome? Having it on the south side makes it possible to connect it directly to the large entrance and ticket lobby on the east side.

As far as design goes, I would think that it would tie in with the design of the dome. The size and capacity is in direct relationship to how much can be built with the dollars at hand. I would not want to see a huge half empty building when basketball games are being played.

In my opinion its a long shot on getting any more voter approved sales taxes that appear to benefit NDSU. Most of the population of Fargo does not realize how the city thrives on having the university.

TheDoctor
11-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Like I said, anything to keep it on the Northside! :)

kchats
11-29-2006, 03:16 AM
$40 or $50 million sounds closer to what Gene was thinking a quality arena would cost. I believe many on the FargoDome Authority are beginning to realize that division I basketball will be a big ticket at NDSU and they want to add that to their events and income. I still believe they need to renovate the BSA regardless of what happens at the dome. Practice courts will also provide courts for current students more opportunities. Can't wait to see the renderings for the proposed renovations.

99Bison
11-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Since no one has posted it yet:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=147821&section=news

There we go... I really hope this takes off.

I also think this sized and styled arena is extremely important arena for Fargo area to have. In today's world this is the new entertainment industry size. Also having it a nice addition to part of the Fargodome is even better yet. The article points out many-o-benefits of this.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow, that article really got my hopes up and was more positive about a new arena getting done then I ever had expected. Just think how great 2008-09 could be for NDSU hoops, a new arena and a chance to go to the Big Dance. Whatever happens I am glad NDSU is seriously looking into a new arena and also that I voted Dennis Walaker for Mayor.

99Bison
11-29-2006, 06:18 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, I actually think with NDSU providing some of the funding they will have more pull in things that go on with it... Which is a double edged sword, but none the less can be good.

Gully
11-29-2006, 11:18 AM
The article didn't say anything about a public vote did it? Or maybe it isn't necessary for some reason?

imabison
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
The article didn't say anything about a public vote did it? *Or maybe it isn't necessary for some reason?

You noticed that also. NO public vote. Because they would be using existing extra funds from the current Sales Tax, and outside donations they apparently do not need the vote.

It said Dome Authority approval, and City Commission approval.

As long as there is a new or remodeled basket ball facility, I think I am for it.

IowaBison
11-29-2006, 03:23 PM
it would be nice to get the tax extended for two years to generate a little more salami.

drewaely
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
it would be nice to get the tax extended for two years to generate a little more salami.

Good luck with that vote... It won't happen (although I would vote for it!!!).

Herd_Mentality
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I was just listening to Denny on Hot Talk. He says he believes he has the city commission votes to get this done.

If this new arena becomes the home of Bison Basketball, could the "dome" be used to host a Mid-Con tournament as a neutral site?

Ivy
11-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I was just listening to Denny on Hot Talk. *He says he believes he has the city commission votes to get this done.

If this new arena becomes the home of Bison Basketball, could the "dome" be used to host a Mid-Con tournament as a neutral site?

I do believe that the Fargodome (not the new arena, but the current dome BB set up) could be used for a neutral site...it's not where we would play our home games.