PDA

View Full Version : Why not Hockey?

Bison101
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but one of the quotes from the mayor caught me off guard.

Walaker and others stressed several times that the addition would not host hockey. The city will leave that up to Brandt, who has proposed a 4,000-seat, four-sheet hockey complex that Walaker called “extremely appropriate.”

I understand why you would want to sell it as a basketball arena, but why wouldn't you at least make it hockey compatible so that ice equipment could be added in the future? I am one of those hockey guys that hopes NDSU goes DI in Hockey after the transition has taken place and current facility needs are met. Besides NDSU Hockey, the venue could host a variety of tournaments or even exhibitions. Are they throwing the South Side arena a bone or permanently killing the idea of NDSU Hockey. Honest question....

BigBison
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I kinda agree with you, why not at least make it hockey compatible. I suppose down the road it could always be remolded for hockey when or if that time ever comes. And yes they are doing it to support the south side arena.

lakesbison
11-29-2006, 04:53 PM
DOME is hockey capable right now.

SO why not get BRANDT/M. Bullinger (western products), Tharaldson, RDO to build a 4000-5000 NDSU hockey arena.

Then for BIG series.. ( Minnesota, Wisconsin, and ya, I guess UND) you move those to the FARGODOME and stick 18,000 in there.

Thats why they arent making it hockey capable.

roadwarrior
11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Hockey compatible basketball arenas suffer from the end zone seating being too far from the basketball floor. A good basketball arena will have seats right up to all four sides of the floor, just like our great seating at the Fargodome for football!

NDSUstudent
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Hockey compatible basketball arenas suffer from the end zone seating being too far from the basketball floor. *A good basketball arena will have seats right up to all four sides of the floor, just like our great seating at the Fargodome for football!

++++++++++++++++

tony
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Plus, how do you divvy up practice time between men's hockey, women's hockey, MBB, and WBB (and any other sports NDSU decides to move there).

I sure don't like the idea of having our men and women playing in an arena they don't practice in.

Flintstone
11-29-2006, 05:32 PM
And Hockey is for Canadians ;D

sambini
11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Hockey compatible basketball arenas suffer from the end zone seating being too far from the basketball floor. *A good basketball arena will have seats right up to all four sides of the floor, just like our great seating at the Fargodome for football!
++++++++++++++++++

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2006, 07:34 PM
No hockey!

I like the state of our basketball and football programs, and if D1 hockey was added for men, it would have to be added for women also, to stay in compliance for title 9.

Adding a men's hockey team alone would take alot away from the football and basketball department, and then adding a women's would just be worse.

PLease don't sacrifice the football and basketball programs for hockey, please.

NDSUFREAK10
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Hockey is a sport? :D

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Hockey is a sport? :D

I think Hockey is a sport in Canada.......Not sure if US has declared it a sport, or if it is still considered a cult.

roper
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Plus, how do you divvy up practice time between men's hockey, women's hockey, MBB, and WBB (and any other sports NDSU decides to move there).

I sure don't like the idea of having our men and women playing in an arena they don't practice in.

It hasn't been a problem for a team like Creighton. They've always practiced up on campus in their OLD bard, similar to BBFH, and play home games at the Qwest Center, before that at the Omaha Civic Center.

Ditto for Drake, and Bradley to name a few.

If NDSU want to pony up the whole cost then they can have it for practice, othewise they better figure out some space for practice facilities.

If Fargo can fill a 4000 seat rink for Jets games then we can start thinking about D1 hockey for the Bison.

mikelsch
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.zedlacher.com/images/pictures/no_hockey.jpg

TaTonka_31
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Silk is right. *If hookey comes to NDSU Title IX requirements would mean baseball would go for sure along with who knows what else. *

Let the school up north concentrate on Hookey. *

Let NDSU dominate the state in all the other college D1 sports.

westriverbison
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

NO HOCKEY AT NDSU never ever ever

2006gwfcchamps
11-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Never say never.

Just not in the next 10 years.

Bisonguy
11-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but one of the quotes from the mayor caught me off guard.

Walaker and others stressed several times that the addition would not host hockey. The city will leave that up to Brandt, who has proposed a 4,000-seat, four-sheet hockey complex that Walaker called “extremely appropriate.”

I understand why you would want to sell it as a basketball arena, but why wouldn't you at least make it hockey compatible so that ice equipment could be added in the future? I am one of those hockey guys that hopes NDSU goes DI in Hockey after the transition has taken place and current facility needs are met. Besides NDSU Hockey, the venue could host a variety of tournaments or even exhibitions. Are they throwing the South Side arena a bone or permanently killing the idea of NDSU Hockey. Honest question....

Because the last time this was proposed and it included hockey, it was overwhelmingly defeated. The same sentiment was displayed on the downtown arena.

If they even mentioned hockey in the same breath with this arena proposal, it would be dead in the water. Scott Hennen discussed this at length today on Hot Talk with Denny Walaker in the studio.

NDSUFREAK10
11-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Wrestling is where we need to focus instead of the supposed sport of hockey. Bucky said that he has some good guys on his team this year.

Gully
11-30-2006, 01:46 AM

Because the last time this was proposed and it included hockey, it was overwhelmingly defeated. The same sentiment was displayed on the downtown arena.

If they even mentioned hockey in the same breath with this arena proposal, it would be dead in the water. Scott Hennen discussed this at length today on Hot Talk with Denny Walaker in the studio.

Bisonguy, you're absolutely right on with your post. They don't want to be seen forcing through something that was overwhelmingly rejected by voters. I think this BB think will happen though......and it will have green seats. NDSU will insist on more control than they have for football in the FFD.....or is it the Wells Fargodome.

Perhaps SU could use this opportunity to negotiate more liberal use for the football teams practices in the dome?

Hammersmith
11-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Road, from your perspective, what was the Kohl Center like? I've always considered that place to be the best case scenario. If it has problems, then I'll be a seperate facility convert.

roadwarrior
11-30-2006, 03:30 AM
The Kohl Center is an NBA size arena to begin with. The seats on the ends of the basketball court sloped very gently. I was lucky and had a seat on the sideline but looking at pictures of the new arena at UNI and seeing first hand the new arena at Mankato State makes the case for basketball seating right up to the court on all sides.

Last year I also attended the men's basketball game at UW-Green Bay. They play their games in a county owned arena that doubles as a hockey arena. That arena is not nearly as large as the Kohl Center and because of that, the length of the floor to handle hockey really stood out when it was set up for basketball.

TheDoctor
11-30-2006, 04:01 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

NO HOCKEY AT NDSU * * never ever ever

never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ;D ;D ;D

max_cool
11-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Hockey at NDSU would be like kissing your sister, it's just wrong, so so wrong :'( :'(

roper
11-30-2006, 01:34 PM
The Kohl Center is a basketball first/hockey second set up. *The sightlines for hockey are average at best. *The opposite is true at REA, great sightlines for hockey, but the floor is way to big for basketball. *Even for the "sold out" Kansas game hoops just didn't seem right.

Lets let UND focus on hockey and we'll build a fantastic BB specific arena, and watch people come from around the region to watch Bison hoops. * :)

If you want to watch big time college hockey there are plenty of options within 4 hours of here. *UND, UM, MSU, SCSU, BSt, and UMD.

IowaBisonToo
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
First off, NDSU hockey - maybe in 10 years. To many Title IX issues.

Second, if you build an arena for hockey that seats 4-5000, you never bring it into the FFD! To cave-like and you would basically be playing on a neutral site. This is why when St Cloud was playing U of MN at the Target Center for a couple of years, they moved it back to Mariucci. Even though they could sell another 4-5000 tickets for the game, it became more of a neutral site for the Gophs than an issue for SC. In fact, it allowed even more Husky fans to show up at an away game than under normal circumstances. Keep the game in the home arena and have a home crowd advantage. Just ask those in the WCHA that are familiar with St Clouds arena - it sucks but it's a hard place to play because of the home ice advantage.

Third, you could incorporate a BB and hockey arena in one while satisfying everyone, I think. I believe the Target Center has that capability. I don't quite remember how the ice sheet fits in there but it worked and it works well for basketball, too, as that's its primary purpose. However, then you need extra ice to make sure there is room enough for practices.

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
The Target Center is a hockey first/bball 2nd arena like most modern arenas are.

They put large, low slope extension seats in the endcourts to get seating up to the boards.

I had an idea for a bball first/hockey 2nd arena:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8466/mchockyx5.jpg

This is a corner picture of UNI's McLeod arena. If you had the seats below the red line fold up, it would create enough space for a hockey rink (not exactly, I'm just showing the concept).

So what you'd have for hockey would be the front row seats about 20 feet (or whatever) above the ice. Not ideal, but it would allow the bball config to be right up to the court on the original slope all the way.

IowaBisonToo
11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
The Target Center is a hockey first/bball 2nd arena like most modern arenas are.

They put large, low slope extension seats in the endcourts to get seating up to the boards.

I had an idea for a bball first/hockey 2nd arena:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8466/mchockyx5.jpg

This is a corner picture of UNI's McLeod arena. If you had the seats below the red line fold up, it would create enough space for a hockey rink (not exactly, I'm just showing the concept).

So what you'd have for hockey would be the front row seats about 20 feet (or whatever) above the ice. Not ideal, but it would allow the bball config to be right up to the court on the original slope all the way.
Being one who has attended his fair share of hockey games, that plan would absolutely suck! No offense to you 2006gwfc.... If there is any chance of playing hockey, you need to consider that first (if this is something you actually want, with the option to put seats in place for basketball. I doubt that is even going to happen, though, in an arena built connected to the FFD.

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
No, I'm not interested in hockey.

I'd rather see this arena have basketball seating all the way.

It was just an idea on how you could get hockey in the building without destroying the bball seating.