PDA

View Full Version : A battle worth fighting

IowaBison
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
For all those fans who want to fight for the Bison:

Start drafting letters to the NCAA for NDSU's inclusion in the NIT. That is a winnable battle as selection is subjective and NDSU has a lot on its side of the argument.

tcbison
12-04-2006, 02:14 PM

Start drafting letters to the NCAA for NDSU's inclusion in the NIT. *That is a winnable battle as selection is subjective and NDSU has a lot on its side of the argument.

I thought that NDSU could make the NIT but not the Big Dance.

drewaely
12-04-2006, 02:19 PM

Start drafting letters to the NCAA for NDSU's inclusion in the NIT. *That is a winnable battle as selection is subjective and NDSU has a lot on its side of the argument.

um... yes. that is what NDB said.

Go_Herd
12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Why don't we wait until we have actually done something worth while of a letter to the NCAA. Lets just see how our boys are going to be after Jan 3. If they can beat K-State, Iowa State, Colorado State, Eastern Michigan, then with the rest of the schedule being 225+ Sagarin rated teams then we could get excited.

Like the enthusiam but really, it is still pretty early.

scottheck
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I believe the NIT is not an NCAA tournament, thus we can play in it. With NCAA not the decision maker, NCAA would be the wrong destination for letters.

http://www.nit.org/

The site has staff phone numbers and addresses.

WYOBISONMAN
12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
The NCAA now owns the NIT..........

Junior
12-04-2006, 02:27 PM

One big thing though, they probably need 20 wins to get a look. If they get that then I believe they do deserve to be in the NIT.

Go_Herd
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM

One big thing though, they probably need 20 wins to get a look. *If they get that then I believe they do deserve to be in the NIT.

Will the wins against SMSU, Mayville State, Valley City, and Mary count towards that 20 win mark??

tcbison
12-04-2006, 02:30 PM

um... yes. *that is what NDB said.

OK. I didn't know we needed letters to make the NIT. I thought we needed wins. However, letters are not a bad thing.

Junior
12-04-2006, 02:32 PM

One big thing though, they probably need 20 wins to get a look. *If they get that then I believe they do deserve to be in the NIT.

Will the wins against SMSU, Mayville State, Valley City, and Mary count towards that 20 win mark??

They count toward the 20 wins just not toward RPI standings.

Go_Herd
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
thanks

roadwarrior
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
The bigger battle will be for the Bison to keep their winning streak going. It will be tough to win all of those "winnable" games after the first of the year. Not to mention the "States" games this month (Kansas State, Colorado State and Iowa State).

I dont think that whoever picks the teams for the NIT will be looking until the season's end for the participants.

In the meantime, lets all get out to the BSA for all of the home games!

WYOBISONMAN
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
The bigger battle will be for the Bison to keep their winning streak going. *It will be tough to win all of those "winnable" games after the first of the year. *Not to mention the "States" games this month (Kansas State, Colorado State and Iowa State).

I dont think that whoever picks the teams for the NIT will be looking until the season's end for the participants.

I agree 100%. Let's attend games and win.........then worry about the NIT. I already have my Iowa State tickets.........see ya in Ames!!

SDbison
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
The bigger battle will be for the Bison to keep their winning streak going. *It will be tough to win all of those "winnable" games after the first of the year. *Not to mention the "States" games this month (Kansas State, Colorado State and Iowa State).

I agree 100%. *Let's attend games and win.........then worry about the NIT. *I already have my Iowa State tickets.........see ya in Ames!!
What Wyo? Not coming to Fargo for the K-State game?
I hope to go to the Iowa State game too. How difficult is it to get tickets? Where will you be sitting? PM me with your plans.

tcbison
12-04-2006, 04:58 PM

I agree 100%. *Let's attend games and win.........then worry about the NIT. *I already have my Iowa State tickets.........see ya in Ames!!
What Wyo? *Not coming to Fargo for the K-State game? *
I hope to go to the Iowa State game too. *How difficult is it to get tickets? *Where will you be sitting? *PM me with your plans.

I have a client that is a big Iowa State fan that can get me tickets. I'll see how many he has available.

IABZN
12-04-2006, 04:58 PM

Mine should be here today!

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM

No need too.

If there are good enough and have the resume at selection time, they will be included.

It is that simple.

SDbison
12-04-2006, 05:08 PM

What Wyo? *Not coming to Fargo for the K-State game? *
I hope to go to the Iowa State game too. *How difficult is it to get tickets? *Where will you be sitting? *PM me with your plans.

I have a client that is a big Iowa State fan that can get me tickets. I'll see how many he has available.

Let me know what you find out tcbison. Thanks!

Go_Herd
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
For the people going to Ames, It's a great place to watch basketball. My brother went to school down there.

Everytime we visited him we ate at Hickory Park--great bbq ribs. Its the place to go, always packed so if you plan on going get there early

imabison
12-04-2006, 05:28 PM

No need too.

If there are good enough and have the resume at selection time, they will be included.

It is that simple.

I agree if NDSU wins 20 games, they should be on the NIT radar. There is nothing to write about.

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Start drafting letters to the NCAA for NDSU's inclusion in the NIT. That is a winnable battle as selection is subjective and NDSU has a lot on its side of the argument.

One big thing though, they probably need 20 wins to get a look. If they get that then I believe they do deserve to be in the NIT.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure 20 wins with 4 of them against D-II and NAIA schools isn't going to be good enough for the NIT. How is the committee going to evaluate the SOS including those teams? Hmmm.... Well, Valley City is probably better than UMKC.... and I think that Mary could beat Idaho... It just doesn't make sense. You know you aren't going to get evaluated as a 20 win team, of which 16 count in SOS or RPI, right? If they aren't in the RPI, then I doubt they will be counted in the committee eyes.

I really have to take issue with Miles for even scheduling those games. He knew what kind of team he had, and what they could do, so why shoot yourself in the foot playing those? Down here at the lowly SDSU mens basketball program we played SMSU as an exhibition game, but Miles schedules them as a counter? Come on, don't tell me he couldn't have grabbed four more games. I'm sure Savannah state, would have taken a home and home with NDSU. How about Longwood? Before you even post I'm not buying the scheduling problems argument, because SDSU put together a full schedule of D-I schools. And please don't come back with "Well, everybody is afraid to play NDSU", because thats crap, and 90% of you know it. Maybe the schedule you generated wouldn't have been as favorable, ie 4 games in 7 days like SDSU just did or whatever, but you could have gotten it done.

Either Miles is retarded, or he doesn't think that the Bison have a chance in he!l of getting into the NIT is my take on this whole thing.

IowaBison
12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
the schedule is fine.

he just needs to win.

i agree, 20 isn't going to cut it.

1, 2, 3. that's how many more loses the Bison can have, imo.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Scheduling non-conference games isn't easy, especially when it comes to home games. I'm sure Tim could have gotten Mary, SMSU, and Valley City replaced with DI teams but all of those games would have been on the road and playing a ton of road games can really start to wear on a team. IMO its just to risky playing a large percentage of road games especially when you are team that has had its share of struggles on the road.

As for non-DI wins counting, I am pretty sure 2 of the games count towards the win total at the end of the year but they will hold little weight with the NIT selection committee. What NDSU needs is a sub 100 RPI, no bad losses, and 20+ DI wins. As far scheduling non-DI teams I am pretty sure next year we will only see 1 on the schedule since we will have a full slate of Mid-Con games.

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Scheduling non-conference games isn't easy, especially when it comes to home games. I'm sure Tim could have gotten Mary, SMSU, and Valley City replaced with DI teams but all of those games would have been on the road and playing a ton of road games can really start to wear on a team. IMO its just to risky playing a large percentage of road games especially when you are team that has had its share of struggles on the road.

As for non-DI wins counting, I am pretty sure 2 of the games count towards the win total at the end of the year but they will hold little weight with the NIT selection committee. What NDSU needs is a sub 100 RPI, no bad losses, and 20+ DI wins. As far scheduling non-DI teams I am pretty sure next year we will only see 1 on the schedule since we will have a full slate of Mid-Con games.

I would say NDSU needs more than a sub 100 RPI, simply because they aren't a common name, which by itself is almost going to be impossible to get. Somebody with more time could figure it out, but with the current RPI's left on your schedule, I think even if you went undefeated you would be above 100 in the RPI.

IowaBison
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2006/february/20060216_nit_attach.pdf

drop the 40 down to 32...........

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
And add to that no indy team has ever made the NIT when it was at 40.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I would say NDSU needs more than a sub 100 RPI, simply because they aren't a common name, which by itself is almost going to be impossible to get. *Somebody with more time could figure it out, but with the current RPI's left on your schedule, I think even if you went undefeated you would be above 100 in the RPI. *

If NDSU went undefeated we would be sub 100 easily, NDSUs RPI was about 134 after beating Wisconsin last year and that was with losses to Idaho, Idaho St, UW-GB, and a few others. As long as NDSU avoids the bad losses and beats 2 out of the remaining big 3(Iowa St, Colorado St, and K-State) the RPI should be fine.

TheDoctor
12-04-2006, 07:48 PM

No offense, but I'm pretty sure 20 wins with 4 of them against D-II and NAIA schools isn't going to be good enough for the NIT. *How is the committee going to evaluate the SOS including those teams? *Hmmm.... Well, Valley City is probably better than UMKC.... and I think that Mary could beat Idaho... *It just doesn't make sense. *You know you aren't going to get evaluated as a 20 win team, of which 16 count in SOS or RPI, right? *If they aren't in the RPI, then I doubt they will be counted in the committee eyes. *

I really have to take issue with Miles for even scheduling those games. *He knew what kind of team he had, and what they could do, so why shoot yourself in the foot playing those? *Down here at the lowly SDSU mens basketball program we played SMSU as an exhibition game, but Miles schedules them as a counter? *Come on, don't tell me he couldn't have grabbed four more games. *I'm sure Savannah state, would have taken a home and home with NDSU. *How about Longwood? *Before you even post I'm not buying the scheduling problems argument, because SDSU put together a full schedule of D-I schools. *And please don't come back with "Well, everybody is afraid to play NDSU", because thats crap, and 90% of you know it. *Maybe the schedule you generated wouldn't have been as favorable, ie 4 games in 7 days like SDSU just did or whatever, but you could have gotten it done. *

Either Miles is retarded, or he doesn't think that the Bison have a chance in he!l of getting into the NIT is my take on this whole thing. *

WOW! Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning????? ;D ;D ;D

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not in a bad mood or anything, thats just how I see it. If it sounds pessimistic, well, thats because it is. Division I wasn't set up to help teams like the SU's transitioning up. Remember, a couple of years ago they had a 13 year ban on us playing in tournaments. The system is set up to help those who are currently in D-I, and screw those who can't. Unfortunately the bison are going to get screwed this season.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just being realistic about this whole thing.

cabis
12-04-2006, 08:06 PM

No offense, but I'm pretty sure 20 wins with 4 of them against D-II and NAIA schools isn't going to be good enough for the NIT. *How is the committee going to evaluate the SOS including those teams? *Hmmm.... Well, Valley City is probably better than UMKC.... and I think that Mary could beat Idaho... *It just doesn't make sense. *You know you aren't going to get evaluated as a 20 win team, of which 16 count in SOS or RPI, right? *If they aren't in the RPI, then I doubt they will be counted in the committee eyes. *

I really have to take issue with Miles for even scheduling those games. *He knew what kind of team he had, and what they could do, so why shoot yourself in the foot playing those? *Down here at the lowly SDSU mens basketball program we played SMSU as an exhibition game, but Miles schedules them as a counter? *Come on, don't tell me he couldn't have grabbed four more games. *I'm sure Savannah state, would have taken a home and home with NDSU. *How about Longwood? *Before you even post I'm not buying the scheduling problems argument, because SDSU put together a full schedule of D-I schools. *And please don't come back with "Well, everybody is afraid to play NDSU", because thats crap, and 90% of you know it. *Maybe the schedule you generated wouldn't have been as favorable, ie 4 games in 7 days like SDSU just did or whatever, but you could have gotten it done. *

Either Miles is retarded, or he doesn't think that the Bison have a chance in he!l of getting into the NIT is my take on this whole thing. *

WOW! *Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning????? *;D *;D *;D
Alphamale is a SDSU fan. Last I checked, his team was rated 334/336. With a record like that it would make somebody pissing in your cheerios one of your better days! ;D ;D ;D

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM

I would say NDSU needs more than a sub 100 RPI, simply because they aren't a common name, which by itself is almost going to be impossible to get. Somebody with more time could figure it out, but with the current RPI's left on your schedule, I think even if you went undefeated you would be above 100 in the RPI.

If NDSU went undefeated we would be sub 100 easily, NDSUs RPI was about 134 after beating Wisconsin last year and that was with losses to Idaho, Idaho St, UW-GB, and a few others. As long as NDSU avoids the bad losses and beats 2 out of the remaining big 3(Iowa St, Colorado St, and K-State) the RPI should be fine.

If you say so... just remember that the Missouri Valley has a hard time keeping its schools below 100. A lot of these coaches complain about conference play, because it lowers their RPI so much, even going undefeated. NDSU is playing in what amounts to the worst conference in the nation January through March, and chances are they are going to lose at least one of those games.

TheDoctor
12-05-2006, 04:28 AM

WOW! *Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning????? *;D *;D *;D
Alphamale is a SDSU fan. Last I checked, his team was rated 334/336. With a record like that it would make somebody pissing in your cheerios one of your better days! ;D ;D ;D

That explains EVERYTHING! It also explains why he is hangin out on our board, not much to talk about on theirs. ;D ;D ;D

Gamehunter
12-05-2006, 05:42 AM
And add to that no indy team has ever made the NIT when it was at 40.

when was the last time an indy beat a top 10 team? We are talking about an equally rare situation that is developing in Fargo. I can see some peole writing off the Bison win over UW last year as a fluke, but when it happens again to a higher ranked opponents it's kinda hard to come back with that.

The media attention the Bison are getting is going to definately help out an NIT bid if they can go the rest of the way with no more than 3 losses.

TheDoctor
12-05-2006, 05:52 AM
And add to that no indy team has ever made the NIT when it was at 40. *

when was the last time an indy beat a top 10 team? *We are talking about an equally rare situation that is developing in Fargo. *I can see some peole writing off the Bison win over UW last year as a fluke, but when it happens again to a higher ranked opponents it's kinda hard to come back with that.

The media attention the Bison are getting is going to definately help out an NIT bid if they can go the rest of the way with no more than 3 losses.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Well said! ;)

IowaBison
12-05-2006, 10:55 AM
based on my earlier post, i think the bison still have a lot of work to do if they want to make the nit.

the tournament selection criteria is quite different now that the ncaa owns the show. contrary to 'common knowlege' the process is now much more objective and concerned about merit. when the nit was private entity it was all about the money.

the bison need to win 22+ games to make it imo, including beating 2 of the k-state, colorado state, and the cyclones.

Jdubs21
12-06-2006, 11:18 PM
we might as well start getting the word out now...maybe they will pay more attention to our scores...cuz our victory over marquette had nothing said about it really...so i think we need all the help we can get

RodentiaX1
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
The NIT has little pretense of objectivity in its selection process. If you're elligible (record of .500 or better) and they want you, you're going. If the buzz about NDSU continues, the NIT is likely going to be interested.

NDSUFREAK10
12-07-2006, 01:41 AM
NIT games are on ESPN and ESPN2 at times.