PDA

View Full Version : NDSU v. Iowa State Game Thread......

WYOBISONMAN
12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
It is a rainy Sunday here in Ames, IA. A great day to see the last Bison Basketball game of 2006. Let's all hope that the Bison close out the season with a win! We are less than 2 hours from our Pre Game Party start at Legend's Sports Bar here in Ames, and less than 4 hours from tip off.

LET'S GO BISON!!

WePharm
12-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Will be watching on ND ABC. Thanks WDAY! Hope you folks down there for the game have a great time!

Gully
12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm hoping to watch on ESPN Full Court but who knows if it will be blacked out or not. I hope not but since they blacked out the KSU game who knows.

Bison06
12-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know if this game will be available in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Area?

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if this game will be available in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Area?

Got Full Court?

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 05:04 PM
1 HOUR AWAY!

ThunderRadioguy
12-31-2006, 06:11 PM
WDAY really needs to turn down their floor mic's. You can't even hear the announcers, just shoes squeaking. It's really annoying

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:13 PM
yeah it is. plus the shouting as well.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
so far it has been pretty physical inside and a poor shooting performance.

Mr_Meanor
12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Its been a ugly start by both teams

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
5-2 BISON
15:10 to go

ThunderRadioguy
12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
already 3 turnovers at 13:34 they can't do that if they want to stay in this game

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Dre has been taking a lot of shots and missing. has 2 points

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:25 PM
7-9 9:40 in first

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
21-17 2:30 to go

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Still no the best shooting game of the year. For both teams.

Mr_Meanor
12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
the bison look intimidated inside...they are not going up strong and drawing contact

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
HALFTIME
mooreman is missing too many open shots.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
the bison look intimidated inside...they are not going up strong and drawing contact
a lot of missed layups.

trams86
12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Question to anyone that has seen the Bison play this year. Does Andre Smith always force shots like that? He sure didnt look very good in the 1st half.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Question to anyone that has seen the Bison play this year. *Does Andre Smith always force shots like that? *He sure didnt look very good in the 1st half.

He always looks to score. That is his game. But he is putting them up near the perimeter and that is where he is missing some of his shots. He has to try to find a way inside IMO

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
They are talking about Miles part time in the halftime show. They believe that Miles will stay and be a BISON for a while longer.

trams86
12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
[quote author=green n gold link=1167577862/15#19 date=1167594821] Question to anyone that has seen the Bison play this year. *Does Andre Smith always force shots like that? *He sure didnt look very good in the 1st half.

He always looks to score. That is his game. But he is putting them up near the perimeter and that is where he is missing some of his shots. He has to try to find a way inside IMO[/quot

I think they need to try something different. IMO

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
30-35 13:40 to go

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
BISON timeout

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
NDSU needs to take care of the ball more and slow down. The big men in the paint for ISU is having a block fest.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:18 PM
DRE got a layup!! ;D
34-37 11:30 to go

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
5 point lead again for ISU. Too many o-rebounds for the clones as well.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:21 PM
21 bench points for ISU
0 for NDSU

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Big 12 officials again! I love them! >:( >:( >:(

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Technical Foul by DRE. Dont blame him for what he did. refs screwed the call when DRE was fouled about 2 times on one posession.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Not the best game that we have played.....woody at the line
42-53 4:56 to go

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
49-56!!!!!! LET'S GO BISON!!!

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:43 PM
WE CAN DO THIS! IT ISNT OVER

Bisonips
12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Just got to my comp. keep the updates coming!

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
wow, these big men are killing us softly. Coach Miles MUST focus on getting skilled big men in recruiting. This is bad.

51-61 2:06

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
WE MUST WIN OUT THE REST OF THE YEAR TO EVEN BE CONSIDERED FOR A VERY LOW SEE IN THE NIT.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
FINAL

NDSUstudent
12-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Well that was definately just one of those games where not much went right and the team could never find their comfort zone on offense. As for the NIT our hopes are dead but the NIT would have been tough regardless of the outcome of today's game. Since I can't really hope for the NIT as being the outcome of the rest of our season my news goals are to build some depth on the bench and become a consistant road team. There is no shame in losing to teams like Iowa St, Texas Tech, or Colorado St on the road but when we play the EMU's, SDSU's and Utah Valley's of the DI world we need to take care business consistantly. Something the team didn't do last year but still has a great chance at achieving this year.

Besides the NIT being out of the question with this loss I think Miles becoming the next coach Minnesota is also out of the question due to his resume. He has done some big things at NDSU but just like the NIT committee the big time boosters and ADs at schools like Minnesota expect more consistancy and wins over middle tier high majors like Iowa St, Texas Tech, and Colorado St. Just look at Coach Mac at UNI, it took 3 trips to the NCAAs before he got a shot at being a coach at a high major. The good thing is that Miles is happy with being the coach at NDSU and I think he really wants to finish what he started by leading NDSU to the NCAA tourney in 2008-09.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, it sure wasnt a fun game to watch. I thought that we had a chance at the end with those two quick steals and the 3 pointer late to get it to 7 points but ISU did what any good team has to do, and they stopped the momentum quick. For the next upcoming games we nee to "win" the independent crown and get some good wins to spark recruit interest. This has just been another game where it showed our weaknesses that REALLY need to be fixed.

westriverbison
12-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Iowa State did a good job of making the Bison look bad. *We definitely had some match up problems with the Cyclones.

Gully
01-01-2007, 12:21 AM
That's true...they were much better inside. That said, however, we don't seem to get many calls playing the high major teams. Many times we're bumped when shooting but don't get the call. I think sometimes the refs get caught up in what is supposed to happen.

99Bison
01-01-2007, 01:28 AM
To me this was very similar to the MN game...
1. We let the post catch the ball on the block all the second half.
2. LM was too slow to compete really.
3. Dre had a extremely poor game.
4. Shot poorly.
5. No in game adjustments again.

All that said we still had a shot coming down the stretch, but we didn't improve on any of the above 5...

However, it is great to be playing these teams. I can't wait until we have a real conference schedule and actual weekly contests.

bisonpride2k
01-01-2007, 03:28 AM
That game was very similar to the Minnesota game. We definately need some guys in the post. Moorman has done a decent job defensively but offensively we need to have more from our 5 man. He has opportunities but just cant put the ball in the hoop. For us to be succesful against teams like Iowa State game in and game out we need our big men to finish around the hoop consistantly. I hope Moorman can be the guy because he brings alot to the defensive end but he needs to start putting it together.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Either find post offense, or get the jump shots to go. Even though we had 52% from 3 point land, we could do better to get the points that we needed late in that game. DONT LET THE MOMENTUM LEAVE WITHOUT A FIGHT

Mr._Burgundy
01-01-2007, 04:17 AM
I love how we play a bigtime school (Big 12), don't play our best game, stay in the game until pretty late...when we cut it to seven....and people start to realize that things aren't perfect. I guess it goes to show that our expectations are significantly higher than we expected. First thing I want everyone to understand is this....We are trying to get bigger through recruiting. It is not easy to recruit to Fargo, ND. Trust me that we are trying to get a big man. Everyone that is 6'8 with a heartbeat gets offered from major schools....we are doing our best. It would be nice to have an "Andre" who is waiting in wings, and hopefully we would educate him on how not to travel and how not to guarantee a victory and then go absolutely lay an egg. 7 turnovers, a costly technical and 5-15 from the field. NICE. Twiedt will be starting at the 4 next year and is highly athletic. He won't be the low post scorer that Andre is, but hopefully we can still rebound and run, but we will always "go small" with that type lineup. Sad that the major games are gone, but hopefully we won't be bandwagon fans and only go to the BSA if K-State is in town. Stay positive fans, we never expected the program to be in this good of shape, so hopefully we can grow from games like this.

sambini
01-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Very well said Burgundy. The Bison will be back . I'm very proud of these guys they have put NDSU on the map.

SDbison
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Technical Foul by DRE. Dont blame him for what he did. refs screwed the call when DRE was fouled about 2 times on one posession.
Dre was extremely frustrated with all the lack of calls, and much as losing control and getting a Tech. Foul is not the answer, the refs were making sure NDSU had little or no chance of coming back. Woody looked so frustrated that midway though the second half you could see with the look on his face that he had given up. I also observed Nelson trying to talk with the refs and getting nowhere. Unless you were at the game you have no idea how bad (one sided) the officiating became as the game progressed. Woody couldn't even finish a shot because of the ISU players hanging on him, not just while shooting, but all the way while driving to the hoop. I think that Bison shooting would have improved by at least ten points had calls been made and ISU would have to play more of an honest defense. Yes, the Bison did not play a very good game, but part of that was due to the football game that occured under the Bison basket.

roadwarrior
01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
It was no more than two minutes into the game when one of the refs turned and yelled at Miles. Short and sweet. "SHUTUP"

TheDoctor
01-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Well that was definately just one of those games where not much went right and the team could never find their comfort zone on offense. As for the NIT our hopes are dead but the NIT would have been tough regardless of the outcome of today's game. Since I can't really hope for the NIT as being the outcome of the rest of our season my news goals are to build some depth on the bench and become a consistant road team. There is no shame in losing to teams like Iowa St, Texas Tech, or Colorado St on the road but when we play the EMU's, SDSU's and Utah Valley's of the DI world we need to take care business consistantly. Something the team didn't do last year but still has a great chance at achieving this year.

Besides the NIT being out of the question with this loss I think Miles becoming the next coach Minnesota is also out of the question due to his resume. He has done some big things at NDSU but just like the NIT committee the big time boosters and ADs at schools like Minnesota expect more consistancy and wins over middle tier high majors like Iowa St, Texas Tech, and Colorado St. Just look at Coach Mac at UNI, it took 3 trips to the NCAAs before he got a shot at being a coach at a high major. The good thing is that Miles is happy with being the coach at NDSU and I think he really wants to finish what he started by leading NDSU to the NCAA tourney in 2008-09.

A guy named Krzyzewski landed at a college in Durham, NC with a resume similar to Miles and a letter of recomedation (which I assume Miles could also get) from a man named Bobby Knight. I think that University made a good decision, heres hoping the UofM does not make the same good decision. :D

TaTonka_31
01-02-2007, 04:57 AM
What was disappointing about this game to me the most was the rebounding margin ISU had for the game. This has been one area of strenght for the Bison that seemed to be lacking somewhat yesterday. Players flying in to dunk offensive boards should not happen. The weak side block out was not there on quite a few occasions. Those are mental errors during the game I am sure the coaching staff will address before the EMU game.

We probably played good enough defense, especially in the first half to get a decent lead if we could have converted our easy basket opportunities. All the players would tell you I am sure, that they all missed close in baskets they should have finished on.

When you break it down, three or four more defensive rebounds and 3 or 4 converted bunnies would have made the game even. That is the difference in between winning and losing many games.

Bottom line is the Bison have had a chance to win every single game they have played this year. They will only get better with the mental aspects or little things that make the game a win vs a loss in the future. Go Bison!