PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game yesterday

FarmerClone
01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
First off, Happy New Year Bison fans!
Secondly, I hope those of you that made the trip down to Ames at least enjoyed the city and you hopefully were treated courtesously by the ISU fans! Your fans represented fairly well numbers wise.

Now to the game. Iowa State returns only four scholarship players this season. One is Jiri Hubalek who led the team in scoring yesterday. That was far and away Jiri's best game of the year as the Bison bigs couldn't find any way to stop him. In the postgame interview yesterday it was mentioned that the ISU staff wanted to get the ball into the post early and often because the Bison do not front big men and they allow the opposition to get the ball in the low post because they defend post players from behind. It was something the staff felt they could exploit and they did just that.

Iowa State's defense is finally coming along. Both teams missed some easy shots along the way, but a lot of the credit for the teams poor shooting was the defense played by the Clones and Bison. It was a slugfest and the refs let the players play. It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends.

NDSU played smart and did a solid job of getting good looks and when they were open from three, they drilled them. But they could not get much of anything to fall inside of ten feet. And ISU owned the boards even though the Bison have done a great job all year on the glass.

Your guards were clutch. They hit their jumpers, but I was expecting more from Smith. I thought his mobility would give our bigs some trouble, because our post men have been a huge weakness all year. But yesterday, our posts looked all conference. But as someone said in another thread, it is hard to recruit solid post players to smaller schools. Hopefully you guys can find a diamond in the rough big man somewhere.

Best of luck Bison as you move forward this year and I wish we were returing the favor with a trip to Fargo next year, but with home and away series with Northern Iowa and Drake, I doubt we would add another with NDSU.

roadwarrior
01-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the greeting, FarmerClone. Happy New Year to the Cyclone fans too! Hopefully we will have Iowa State on the schedule in the future. With the connections between the coaches, maybe they will make it happen. As coach McDermott said last night, it makes more sense playing NDSU than playing an east coast team. Next time, I hope that we give you a tougher challenge.

kchats
01-01-2007, 04:02 PM
NDSU played this game much the same as they played the Gopher game. What was the common theme in both the games? NDSU was expected to have a better chance to win because the Cyclones and Gophers were "down" this year. It seems the players must not play as loose as they do when they are a decided underdog and their offense suffers. As was pointed out in a Forum story both the Gophers and Cyclones worked very hard on playing better defense prior to playing the Bison so maybe that was it. I look forward to continued improvement from the current Bison big men and am hopeful the Bison can recruit a taller post player.

SDbison
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Secondly, I hope those of you that made the trip down to Ames at least enjoyed the city and you hopefully were treated courtesously by the ISU fans! *Your fans represented fairly well numbers wise.

Now to the game. *Iowa State returns only four scholarship players this season. *One is Jiri Hubalek who led the team in scoring yesterday. *That was far and away Jiri's best game of the year as the Bison bigs couldn't find any way to stop him. *In the postgame interview yesterday it was mentioned that the ISU staff wanted to get the ball into the post early and often because the Bison do not front big men and they allow the opposition to get the ball in the low post because they defend post players from behind. *It was something the staff felt they could exploit and they did just that.

Iowa State's defense is finally coming along. *Both teams missed some easy shots along the way, but a lot of the credit for the teams poor shooting was the defense played by the Clones and Bison. *It was a slugfest and the refs let the players play. *It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends.

NDSU played smart and did a solid job of getting good looks and when they were open from three, they drilled them. *But they could not get much of anything to fall inside of ten feet. *And ISU owned the boards even though the Bison have done a great job all year on the glass.

Your guards were clutch. *They hit their jumpers, but I was expecting more from Smith. *I thought his mobility would give our bigs some trouble, because our post men have been a huge weakness all year. *But yesterday, our posts looked all conference. *But as someone said in another thread, it is hard to recruit solid post players to smaller schools. *Hopefully you guys can find a diamond in the rough big man somewhere.

Best of luck Bison as you move forward this year and I wish we were returing the favor with a trip to Fargo next year, but with home and away series with Northern Iowa and Drake, I doubt we would add another with NDSU.
It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends. *Have to disagree with you on this statement FarmerClone. *I was at the game and witnessed some of the most inconsistent calls on each end of the court that I have seen for quite sometime. *One thing to allow teams to play physical. *Its another to allow Iowas States defenders to drape themselves over a Bison player driving to the basket. *We are not talking about an arm check, but rather entire body contact for several steps. *On the other end a Bison touch on an Iowa State player drew a foul. *Most Bison fans at the game would agree with me. *Yes, the Bison did not play as well as they could, but who knows the outcome if some of that garbage would have been called early on Iowa State.

SDbison
01-01-2007, 10:55 PM
NDSU played this game much the same as they played the Gopher game. *What was the common theme in both the games? *NDSU was expected to have a better chance to win because the Cyclones and Gophers were "down" this year. *It seems the players must not play as loose as they do when they are a decided underdog and their offense suffers. *As was pointed out in a Forum story both the Gophers and Cyclones worked very hard on playing better defense prior to playing the Bison so maybe that was it. *I look forward to continued improvement from the current Bison big men and am hopeful the Bison can recruit a taller post player.
It is not about a taller post player, maybe just an improved Moorman or someone else who is more agile. BTW, Hubalek the big guy for ISU was shorter than Moorman when the two stood side by side. Hubalek is listed as 6'11" and Moorman at 6'9". I even had an ISU fan turn around and ask me how tall Moorman was because he looked taller than Hubalek. I had to show the guy the game program to prove it. Maybe Moorman is understated and Hubalek overstated?

FarmerClone
01-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Secondly, I hope those of you that made the trip down to Ames at least enjoyed the city and you hopefully were treated courtesously by the ISU fans! Your fans represented fairly well numbers wise.

Now to the game. Iowa State returns only four scholarship players this season. One is Jiri Hubalek who led the team in scoring yesterday. That was far and away Jiri's best game of the year as the Bison bigs couldn't find any way to stop him. In the postgame interview yesterday it was mentioned that the ISU staff wanted to get the ball into the post early and often because the Bison do not front big men and they allow the opposition to get the ball in the low post because they defend post players from behind. It was something the staff felt they could exploit and they did just that.

Iowa State's defense is finally coming along. Both teams missed some easy shots along the way, but a lot of the credit for the teams poor shooting was the defense played by the Clones and Bison. It was a slugfest and the refs let the players play. It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends.

NDSU played smart and did a solid job of getting good looks and when they were open from three, they drilled them. But they could not get much of anything to fall inside of ten feet. And ISU owned the boards even though the Bison have done a great job all year on the glass.

Your guards were clutch. They hit their jumpers, but I was expecting more from Smith. I thought his mobility would give our bigs some trouble, because our post men have been a huge weakness all year. But yesterday, our posts looked all conference. But as someone said in another thread, it is hard to recruit solid post players to smaller schools. Hopefully you guys can find a diamond in the rough big man somewhere.

It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends. Have to disagree with you on this statement FarmerClone. I was at the game and witnessed some of the most inconsistent calls on each end of the court that I have seen for quite sometime. One thing to allow teams to play physical. Its another to allow Iowas States defenders to drape themselves over a Bison player driving to the basket. We are not talking about an arm check, but rather entire body contact for several steps. On the other end a Bison touch on an Iowa State player drew a foul. Most Bison fans at the game would agree with me. Yes, the Bison did not play as well as they could, but who knows the outcome if some of that garbage would have been called early on Iowa State.

Hey maybe you are right. Total fouls called were 16 for NDSU, 11 for ISU. When one figures in the fouls NDSU committed towards the end of the game on purpose to try and come back, seems about even. Total free throws was 16 for ISU, 9 for NDSU (two of those were on the tech foul and probably four more at the end of the game when NDSU was forced to foul). It isn't like we shot 30 to your 6 or something. Maybe ISU should have been called for 30 fouls in your opinion and NDSU only 16, I don't know but there does not appear to be a huge disparity in the numbers.

Bisonsister
01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
FarmerClone. What do you have to say about the utter lack of sportsmanship shown at the end of the game? Do you teach your guys to be jerks and dunk on a team that is not trying anymore?

FarmerClone
01-02-2007, 01:13 AM
FarmerClone. What do you have to say about the utter lack of sportsmanship shown at the end of the game? Do you teach your guys to be jerks and dunk on a team that is not trying anymore?
Personally, I was disappointed, but Rahshon had missed two potential dunk attempts on the game and he was upset because it was the first time his mother had ever come to one of his games. He is a junior and she is from New York City and it was an emotional day. Poor judegement on his part, but nothing malicious.

SDbison
01-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Secondly, I hope those of you that made the trip down to Ames at least enjoyed the city and you hopefully were treated courtesously by the ISU fans! *Your fans represented fairly well numbers wise.

Now to the game. *Iowa State returns only four scholarship players this season. *One is Jiri Hubalek who led the team in scoring yesterday. *That was far and away Jiri's best game of the year as the Bison bigs couldn't find any way to stop him. *In the postgame interview yesterday it was mentioned that the ISU staff wanted to get the ball into the post early and often because the Bison do not front big men and they allow the opposition to get the ball in the low post because they defend post players from behind. *It was something the staff felt they could exploit and they did just that.

Iowa State's defense is finally coming along. *Both teams missed some easy shots along the way, but a lot of the credit for the teams poor shooting was the defense played by the Clones and Bison. *It was a slugfest and the refs let the players play. *It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends.

NDSU played smart and did a solid job of getting good looks and when they were open from three, they drilled them. *But they could not get much of anything to fall inside of ten feet. *And ISU owned the boards even though the Bison have done a great job all year on the glass.

Your guards were clutch. *They hit their jumpers, but I was expecting more from Smith. *I thought his mobility would give our bigs some trouble, because our post men have been a huge weakness all year. *But yesterday, our posts looked all conference. *But as someone said in another thread, it is hard to recruit solid post players to smaller schools. *Hopefully you guys can find a diamond in the rough big man somewhere.

It was smashmotuh basketball on both ends. *Have to disagree with you on this statement FarmerClone. *I was at the game and witnessed some of the most inconsistent calls on each end of the court that I have seen for quite sometime. *One thing to allow teams to play physical. *Its another to allow Iowas States defenders to drape themselves over a Bison player driving to the basket. *We are not talking about an arm check, but rather entire body contact for several steps. *On the other end a Bison touch on an Iowa State player drew a foul. *Most Bison fans at the game would agree with me. *Yes, the Bison did not play as well as they could, but who knows the outcome if some of that garbage would have been called early on Iowa State.

Hey maybe you are right. *Total fouls called were 16 for NDSU, 11 for ISU. *When one figures in the fouls NDSU committed towards the end of the game on purpose to try and come back, seems about even. *Total free throws was 16 for ISU, 9 for NDSU (two of those were on the tech foul and probably four more at the end of the game when NDSU was forced to foul). *It isn't like we shot 30 to your 6 or something. *Maybe ISU should have been called for 30 fouls in your opinion and NDSU only 16, I don't know but there does not appear to be a huge disparity in the numbers.
You make a couple bad assumptions:
1. Every obvious foul was called.
2. The same calls were made on both ends of the court.
BTW, ISU has more talented players, but that doesn't make them the better team. Maybe you would understand our perspective if you saw some of the crap calls in games against K-State (Big 12 refs required on our home court) and against CSU. Both games lost by a couple points. Love to see ISU in Fargo next year with Big 10 refs. After NDSU beats ISU by 20, is able to hammer your guys under the basket and ISU not get a call then maybe you would understand. Oh yeah, we could do a couple slam dunks to end the game and rub it in your face.

NDSUstudent
01-02-2007, 06:08 AM
I expected the refs to call the game they called, anything short of tackeling Woodside isn't a foul but I guess we'll just have to get used because thats life on the road in a major conference arena. The only thing that pissed me off was that dunk, that was pretty classless but I'm sure Coach Mac will make sure he understands to sit on the ball next time at the end of the game during practice over the next week. I also doubt the team will forget about that dunk next team we play Iowa St.

Hoopster
01-02-2007, 06:14 AM

I think there's another thread on here talking about how great it was when the Bison were dunking on whatever NAIA team you guys played last during the last 5 minutes. Dunking on teams works both ways.

NDSUstudent
01-02-2007, 06:18 AM

I think there's another thread on here talking about how great it was when the Bison were dunking on whatever NAIA team you guys played last during the last 5 minutes. *Dunking on teams works both ways. *

That one was a bit different, there was about 35-40 seconds left in the game and most importantly Mayville St was still playing defense and not heading to the sideline to go shake hands. Miles wasn't exactly thrilled with the dunk anyway and the next time NDSU went down the court he made it clear that nobody was going to even try to score the 100th point of the game no matter how bad a few guys on the bench wanted it to happen.

BryceC
01-02-2007, 03:20 PM
You make a couple bad assumptions:
1. Every obvious foul was called.
2. The same calls were made on both ends of the court.
BTW, ISU has more talented players, but that doesn't make them the better team. Maybe you would understand our perspective if you saw some of the crap calls in games against K-State (Big 12 refs required on our home court) and against CSU. Both games lost by a couple points. Love to see ISU in Fargo next year with Big 10 refs. After NDSU beats ISU by 20, is able to hammer your guys under the basket and ISU not get a call then maybe you would understand. Oh yeah, we could do a couple slam dunks to end the game and rub it in your face.

I understand your frustration with the calls, because admittedly there were some bad ones in the game. But if that is the way the refs are calling it, teams have to step up, accept that, and make adjustments. I honestly didn't think the officiating was shocking bad or anything. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't the worst I've seen.

Even if the officiating had been better, a much larger impact on the final score was the fact that Jiri Hubalek (who I've been ripping all year) actually played well against you and you allowed so many offensive rebounds. When you give up 14 offensive rebounds and get outrebounded by 15 that seems to be a lot larger concern than the officiating to me. Regardless, had you shot (and made) 10 more free throws it still wouldn't have been the deciding factor in the game. In what was really an 11 point game, it's still a double digit win and everybody has been on the receiving end of some really crappy calls this year. (Including ISU, most notably at the horrendously called Bradley game.)

With the Clark dunk at the end of the game, I was immediately disappointed in him and it's totally uncharacteristic of him. Really, Clark is a totally stand up kid and he's one of my favorite Cyclones of all time.

Good luck the rest of the year, I've been hoping good things will happen with NDSU ever since they upset Wisconsin last year.

IABZN
01-02-2007, 03:20 PM
It was a fun time, great to meet a few board members at Ledgends. The game was ugly, but we are playing the game!!!!!!!! In college I went to one mens game and it was so horrible, I couldn't bear to watch. Now NDSU has a growing program, and one to be proud of. The weakest point of NDSU's game is depth and points inside. Thes things will come with time and recruting.

BBJunkie
01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I have always respected the way Mac coaches, and the way he runs his team. I noticed, just before the dunk, Mac clearly waived his team off, making it known that he wanted to call off the dogs, and he headed towards the NDSU bench and Coach Miles. I don't believe he saw the dunk initially. I am hoping he used this as a teaching moment to the young man who clearly didn't follow his coaches instructions. I don't expect this to be anything more than him teaching his team about class. However, if he did ignore this, and said nothing, I would be disappointed. We will never know for sure, and that should be left to the coaches and players to deal with. I will make an assumption that Coach Miles will say the right things publicly, even though he may be seathing inside about it. Opposing coaches understand that you are still dealing with 18-22 year olds. Mac showed class and respect for the Bison and Miles. Now we can hope he continues that class and teaches this young man a valuable lesson.

scottheck
01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
It's fun to be able to watch our program compete with these schools. Regardless of whether ISU is in the top or bottom of the Big 12, they're Big 12 and we got to play and compete.

Coach Mac is a class guy and runs a good program. He's shown success at all levels. It would have been nice to have him for more than 1 year. I like his attitude of playing more regional competition in the coming years. His experience in this region is more likely to benefit us than the Huggins-or- Munson's-replacement types since they don't have any connection to the region.

ISU is as likely or more to schedule us than any other major DI. And I think Mac would be willing to come to Fargo.

BTW, I don't think there was even 10k in attendance if the Hilton holds 14+k.

TheDoctor
01-02-2007, 05:46 PM

I think there's another thread on here talking about how great it was when the Bison were dunking on whatever NAIA team you guys played last during the last 5 minutes. *Dunking on teams works both ways. *

That one was a bit different, there was about 35-40 seconds left in the game and most importantly Mayville St was still playing defense and not heading to the sideline to go shake hands. Miles wasn't exactly thrilled with the dunk anyway and the next time NDSU went down the court he made it clear that nobody was going to even try to score the 100th point of the game no matter how bad a few guys on the bench wanted it to happen.

You are 100% correct! There is NO comparison between the situations. Mayville wanted to keep playing, so we did. The game with ISU was OVER and the coaches were already shaking hands when Mr. Frustration got the dunk he had been trying to deliver to mommy all day. >:( Too bad he had to wait until the game was essentially over to get it.

imabison
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM

You are 100% correct! *There is NO comparison between the situations. *Mayville wanted to keep playing, so we did. *The game with ISU was OVER and the coaches were already shaking hands when Mr. Frustration got the dunk he had been trying to deliver to mommy all day. >:( *Too bad he had to wait until the game was essentially over to get it.

One difference would be that the shot clock was going to expire. I suppose he could have just thrown it up off the rim.

IowaBison
01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
not true.

hubalek shot a three which hit the rim with about five seconds left.

rashon behaved like an ass in front of 10,000 people.

Hoopster
01-02-2007, 06:19 PM

I think there's another thread on here talking about how great it was when the Bison were dunking on whatever NAIA team you guys played last during the last 5 minutes. Dunking on teams works both ways.

You are 100% correct! There is NO comparison between the situations. Mayville wanted to keep playing, so we did. The game with ISU was OVER and the coaches were already shaking hands when Mr. Frustration got the dunk he had been trying to deliver to mommy all day. >:( Too bad he had to wait until the game was essentially over to get it.

40 seconds left and your dunking? Come on, its your last offensive play against an overmatched NAIA team and your slamming the ball down on them? I guess I don't really see the difference there. Did you expect them to stop playing defense for the last 5 minutes of the game or what? Just because they are playing defense doesn't mean you have to run an alley dunk play on them, the normal offense would have been fine.

In any case, I'm guessing the mayville fans felt about the same as bison fans do now.

Hoopster
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM

One difference would be that the shot clock was going to expire. I suppose he could have just thrown it up off the rim.

In that situation you take a 2pt shot, close to the end of the shot clock. You don't fire up a three, and you don't dunk the ball. I'm not sure what it proves to be dunking on an NAIA team anyway. I could dunk on my 6 year old brother, but does that really prove anything?

NDSUstudent
01-02-2007, 06:48 PM

You are 100% correct! *There is NO comparison between the situations. *Mayville wanted to keep playing, so we did. *The game with ISU was OVER and the coaches were already shaking hands when Mr. Frustration got the dunk he had been trying to deliver to mommy all day. >:( *Too bad he had to wait until the game was essentially over to get it.

40 seconds left and your dunking? *Come on, its your last offensive play against an overmatched NAIA team and your slamming the ball down on them? *I guess I don't really see the difference there. *Did you expect them to stop playing defense for the last 5 minutes of the game or what? *Just because they are playing defense doesn't mean you have to run an alley dunk play on them, the normal offense would have been fine. *

In any case, I'm guessing the mayville fans felt about the same as bison fans do now.

The man doing the dunking was also the last guy off the bench, if the coach doesn't say don't shoot you can't exactly tell players who don't get to play to stop playing. Comparing what Lunde did to what the Iowa State player did is just wrong, the situations where very different.

NDSUFREAK10
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I was very mad when ISU dunked that ball so late in the game. They were getting a little to cocky for their own good.