PDA

View Full Version : Article in Forum about UNI's McLeod Center

TheDoctor
02-24-2007, 03:47 PM
There is a great article in the forum today on their basketball arena and the correlation to NDSU. Check it out.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=157578&section=news&freebie_check&CFI D=21785523&CFTOKEN=81555761&jsessionid=8830acd49d0 b87b75708

DIBISON
02-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Nobody's fault but there are mutiple areas for these basketball arena discussions. Can we get them combined into one?

SDbison
02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
There is a great article in the forum today on their basketball arena and the correlation to NDSU. *Check it out.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=157578&section=news&freebie_check&CFI D=21785523&CFTOKEN=81555761&jsessionid=8830acd49d0 b87b75708

This was an interesting article. I thought some parts helped the cause while others questioned it. Seemed like the point was made numerous times that the facility should be kept small (smaller than the 8000 capacity that has been discussed). Also lots of questions about if taxpayer money should be used. I think 8000 would be right for the FM community. How big is the city where UNI is located?

jackrabbits
02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Cedar Falls/Waterloo, IA has about 100,000 in the two cities.

TXBison_Fan
02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
If we want to become a major force in the Mid-Con we need a better area than the BSA. I think the Dome renovation would be a great idea. Football and basketball would be in the same place. Basketball wouldn't have 500 things going on at once when it was trying to hold a practice. Also imagine the recruiting force that would bring. (I pause while I drool) :P I do agree with the article in keeping compacity small. During the K-State game the BSA was rocking and there was only 6,000 people there. Also it is kind of a downer to look in the stands and they are half empty even though there is 8,000 people there. Hopefully GT and the powers that be can get something like this done.

SDbison
02-24-2007, 09:51 PM
If we want to become a major force in the Mid-Con we need a better area than the BSA. *I think the Dome renovation would be a great idea. *Football and basketball would be in the same place. *Basketball wouldn't have 500 things going on at once when it was trying to hold a practice. *Also imagine the recruiting force that would bring. (I pause while I drool) *:P I do agree with the article in keeping compacity small. *During the K-State game the BSA was rocking and there was only 6,000 people there. *Also it is kind of a downer to look in the stands and they are half empty even though there is 8,000 people there. *Hopefully GT and the powers that be can get something like this done. *
So you think with an metro area close to twice as big as that around UNI the new arena should only hold 6000 just so it could look sold out most of the time? I would think that with even more success, the mid-con and a few major games each year Bison basketball would be best suited with a facility that holds 8000. Remember, the arena would be used for smaller concerts and events too. With a stage at one end an 8000 capacity facility might only have 6000 sellable seats.

TheDoctor
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
If we want to become a major force in the Mid-Con we need a better area than the BSA. *I think the Dome renovation would be a great idea. *Football and basketball would be in the same place. *Basketball wouldn't have 500 things going on at once when it was trying to hold a practice. *Also imagine the recruiting force that would bring. (I pause while I drool) *:P I do agree with the article in keeping compacity small. *During the K-State game the BSA was rocking and there was only 6,000 people there. *Also it is kind of a downer to look in the stands and they are half empty even though there is 8,000 people there. *Hopefully GT and the powers that be can get something like this done. *

We have a unique opportunity to to become a TRUE mid major very easily! Why? Because we are the ONLY University ::) in the STATE of North Dakota D1 right now. Some of these schools we are playing that are "transitioning" as well and play in crap hole gyms don't stand a chance. They are 3rd, 4th, or even 5th D1 draw in their state. Does Winston-Salem State have a SNOW BALLS CHANCE IN HELL of becoming a mid major power house? They have Wake Forest IN THEIR CITY, not to mention Duke, UNC, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, the list in THE STATE OF NC ALONE goes on and on! Not to mention competing for recruits. With some money and a couple more "good" recruiting class, LOOK OUT NCAA, here come THE BISON!!!!!! ;)

jzillmer
02-25-2007, 01:40 AM

We have a unique opportunity to to become a TRUE mid major very easily! *Why? *Because we are the ONLY University *::) *in the STATE of North Dakota D1 right now. *Some of these schools we are playing that are "transitioning" as well and play in crap hole gyms don't stand a chance. *They are 3rd, 4th, or even 5th D1 draw in their state. *Does Winston-Salem State have a SNOW BALLS CHANCE IN HELL of becoming a mid major power house? *They have Wake Forest IN THEIR CITY, not to mention Duke, UNC, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, the list in THE STATE OF NC ALONE goes on and on! *Not to mention competing for recruits. *With some money and a couple more "good" recruiting class, LOOK OUT NCAA, here come THE BISON!!!!!! * ;) * *

+++++++++

NDSUFREAK10
02-25-2007, 03:12 AM
I am in dire need of an electric atmosphere. I haven't had one going to NDSU sports events since K-State. I am making the turn into withdrawl from football season with Bball season ending... :'( I want a place where an atmosphere is at its best! A new arena will do that. The BSA tonight wasn't great. It would've been different in a new arena.

TheDoctor
02-25-2007, 03:35 AM
I am in dire need of an electric atmosphere. I haven't had one going to NDSU sports events since K-State. I am making the turn into withdrawl from football season with Bball season ending... :'( I want a place where an atmosphere is at its best! A new arena will do that. The BSA tonight wasn't great. It would've been different in a new arena.

You gotta admit though, the scrum was pretty exciting. You couldn't really see what was going on in there, but the players were extremely passionate to say the least. :D

NDSUFREAK10
02-25-2007, 03:36 AM

You gotta admit though, the scrum was pretty exciting. *You couldn't really see what was going on in there, but the players were extremely passionate to say the least. *:D

OH, BOY I'LL SAY! I guess I don't have to repeat the chant again (beause I repeated it about 3 other times on another thread(s). That was pretty good.

NDSUstudent
02-25-2007, 03:37 AM

I agree, an atmosphere first type of arena is needed. I really I hope the new arena happens because I have had it with the BSA(sorry KC_Hats), it's a warehouse not a basketball arena and it will take a ton of money to fix the low ceiling and seating that just has horrible sightlines(upper deck with the railing and students in the way and at the ends with the beems in the way).

If NDSU builds a new arena we will draw 5k a night just because people will be able to sit in comfort and take in a game that is being played in a great atmosphere. Right now I am just praying to god that on Friday the city has enough money left over from the excess dome tax to put up 15 million for a new arena.

TheDoctor
02-25-2007, 03:41 AM

I agree, an atmosphere first type of arena is needed. I really I hope the new arena happens because I have had it with the BSA(sorry KC_Hats), it's a warehouse not a basketball arena and it will take a ton of money to fix the low ceiling and seating that just has horrible sightlines(upper deck with the railing and students in the way and at the ends with the beems in the way).

If NDSU builds a new arena we will draw 5k a night just because people will be able to sit in comfort and take in a game that is being played in a great atmosphere. Right now I am just praying to god that on Friday the city has enough money left over from the excess dome tax to put up 15 million for a new arena.

++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

jjbluecw
02-25-2007, 04:32 AM
If we want to become a major force in the Mid-Con we need a better area than the BSA. I think the Dome renovation would be a great idea. Football and basketball would be in the same place. Basketball wouldn't have 500 things going on at once when it was trying to hold a practice. Also imagine the recruiting force that would bring. (I pause while I drool) :P I do agree with the article in keeping compacity small. During the K-State game the BSA was rocking and there was only 6,000 people there. Also it is kind of a downer to look in the stands and they are half empty even though there is 8,000 people there. Hopefully GT and the powers that be can get something like this done.

We have a unique opportunity to to become a TRUE mid major very easily! Why? Because we are the ONLY University ::) in the STATE of North Dakota D1 right now. Some of these schools we are playing that are "transitioning" as well and play in crap hole gyms don't stand a chance. They are 3rd, 4th, or even 5th D1 draw in their state. Does Winston-Salem State have a SNOW BALLS CHANCE IN HELL of becoming a mid major power house? They have Wake Forest IN THEIR CITY, not to mention Duke, UNC, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, the list in THE STATE OF NC ALONE goes on and on! Not to mention competing for recruits. With some money and a couple more "good" recruiting class, LOOK OUT NCAA, here come THE BISON!!!!!! ;)

Don't forget NC State, and App State....To be fair, W-S state is pretty much like a D1 Mayville ST. Hell, I lived in W-S for 6 months before I knew the school existed.

TheDoctor
02-25-2007, 04:38 AM

We have a unique opportunity to to become a TRUE mid major very easily! *Why? *Because we are the ONLY University *::) *in the STATE of North Dakota D1 right now. *Some of these schools we are playing that are "transitioning" as well and play in crap hole gyms don't stand a chance. *They are 3rd, 4th, or even 5th D1 draw in their state. *Does Winston-Salem State have a SNOW BALLS CHANCE IN HELL of becoming a mid major power house? *They have Wake Forest IN THEIR CITY, not to mention Duke, UNC, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, the list in THE STATE OF NC ALONE goes on and on! *Not to mention competing for recruits. *With some money and a couple more "good" recruiting class, LOOK OUT NCAA, here come THE BISON!!!!!! * ;) * *

Don't forget NC State, and App State....To be fair, W-S state is pretty much like a D1 Mayville ST. *Hell, I lived in W-S for 6 months before I knew the school existed .

Thants hillarious! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NDSUFREAK10
02-25-2007, 04:41 AM

Don't forget NC State, and App State....To be fair, W-S state is pretty much like a D1 Mayville ST. *Hell, I lived in W-S for 6 months before I knew the school existed .

Thants hillarious! *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *;D *

ohhhhh! oh dear sharlene! thats embarassing!