PDA

View Full Version : 2007-2008 Bison Roster

Snoop-a-Loop
02-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Here is our lineup for next year (I am also making an assumption that Lunde will not be medically cleared to play and his scholarship will be available):

Redshirt Freshman
# Carlson, Eric

Freshman
4 Coleman, Freddy
23 Tveidt, Michael

Sophomores
21 Pennick, Austin
34 Sussenguth, Sam
32 Vaughan, Josh

Juniors
20 Riley, Lorenzo (didn't redshirt)
40 Moormann, Lucas
31 Nelson, Mike
22 Winkelman, Brett
10 Woodside, Ben

My question is whether or not Miles will pull the trigger this spring and go and get a juco point guard and a juco power forward or sit on the exta two scholarships. The need for a backup point guard was highlighted against the better teams. Hopefully, Coleman and Tviedt step up and fill these two needs because if these scholarships are filled with two jucos, that will be seven scholarships in the junior class. However, I am all about winning right now and I want Miles to whatever it takes to win.

NDSUFREAK10
02-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Looks like a strong lineup. Good work ricky.++++

sambini
02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
++++

TheDoctor
02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
++++

++++++++++++++ ;)

bisonhusker
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
If no changes are made, I am guessing that Carlson plays.

WePharm
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Really need someone to fill Andre's spot. Would be great to find an atheletic 6-7 to 6-9 guy. Would be nice to find a big guy, but don't need a weakling 7 footer or a lead foot bulky type. A quick 6-8 ish type who can SCORE & defend.

Also this Beholavek (sp?) player from Mandan can really shoot. Isn't that key- putting 5 players on the court who can fill the basket? Plus he's from W. NoDak. would increase in-state exposure for program.

BBJunkie
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Not only do I think Carlson could play, I for one, think he SHOULD play. Typically I would support Coach Miles' thoughts of redshirting freshmen of his caliber to prepare for the future, however, the future is the '08-09 season, and getting him some quality time in '07-'08 could serve huge dividends while pushing for a tourny birth the next year. The only major concern I have with Ricky's roster, is, unless Lucas and Sam develop more, there is not banger in the middle to compensate for Smith's rebounding. I think, clearly with Tweit and Coleman and possibly Carlson, the scoring will not drop off, but the rebounding could suffer.

I concur with the need for a backup point. Maybe Coleman can assist there.

Mr_Meanor
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I could be wrong but isn't Coleman more suited to playing the off guard? Or is he a true PG?

TaTonka_31
02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
We are not going to replace what Andre has given the team with just one guy. I think everyone can agree on that. With four starters coming back and with them 50 points a game, we will need about 20 a game from Tweidt, Coleman, Pennick, Vaughn, Sam, Zo and who ever else Miles brings in to get to the 70 points a game we are at now. This should be doable. Not many teams can boast 50 points starting out the season. I would expect that 50 to expand somewhat also because I would expect Woody, Winks, Nelson and Moorman to all improve their offensive games incrementally.

As for a big man, two things. First, Luke Moorman is 6'9" or 6'10" and is a big factor when he is on the floor. We are a much, much better defense team around the basket when he is in there and he has a knack for offense rebounding.

Second, if we do go after a big man, height is not everything, in fact for a school like NDSU, it may be more productive to look for a big athletic body that can be physical. If anyone saw Notre Dame play Marquette last Saturday, you know what I am talking about if you saw Harangody play. Marquette guys were bouncing off him like rubber balls. A Wide body at NDSU may be easier to get that the aircraft carrier.

SirHinn
02-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Really need someone to fill Andre's spot. Would be great to find an atheletic 6-7 to 6-9 guy. Would be nice to find a big guy, but don't need a weakling 7 footer or a lead foot bulky type. A quick 6-8 ish type who can SCORE & defend.

Also this Beholavek (sp?) player from Mandan can really shoot. Isn't that key- putting 5 players on the court who can fill the basket? Plus he's from W. NoDak. would increase in-state exposure for program.

The Bison have enough scorers and shooters on the team. They need to find some solid role players. I don't think exposure is a problem anymore either, beating Wisconsin and Marquette certainly got them enough of that. One has to think Miles will look to the juco ranks to get a solid 4. It would be nice if Freddy could provide some time at the backup PG spot, if not do you think Miles looks juco route for a PG?

Mr._Burgundy
02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
The Juco option has pros/cons. One, they are ready to play...or more ready to play typically. BUT...and I think this is a big BUT....if we added a JUCO this year, they join the Woody class which is already going to be heavy. I would rather redshirt a high school point guard, or maybe a JUCO that has played one year, I know one we are looking at that would be fun to get. WE PHARM may like that kid too?

BBJunkie
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Here in another problem with the Juco route. If you go that way, I think you are committing to a kid that can help you right away. If that is true, something else has to give, which I think forces the coaches hands to make decisions about Vaughn and Lunde specifically. There was hope that Vaughn could provide help at the 2 and 1, but that has not materialized. If you bring in a backup point from the Juco ranks, does that mean that the decision on Vaughn is cemented? I think there is general excitement about Tweidt and Coleman, add Carlson as a possible non-redshirt, Pennick and Sam are solid in their role, and a potential Juco, where does that leave Vaughn and Lunde.

I know what my preferences are, but I don't make those decisions.

Good Luck Coach Miles, keep up the good work.

TaTonka_31
02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
After this season is in the books, the three winnable games that hurt the worst may have been Minnesota, Colorado State and Iowa State. Those three teams had something in common that the Bison did not contend with very well and that was all had post players that out muscled us in the paint. This will be a common problem if and when we get to the post season unless it is addressed.

It would be nice to have a back up point guard with good handles and could score some but the most pressing need is a big body that can hold people off the low block, play defense and rebound. I say again, it doesn't necessarily need to be height because girth can be just as difficult to deal with. We need a beast down low. Luke will need help in the paint.

WePharm
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
The exposure of giving a well known ND kid can't be underestimated. I think a lot of bb fans follow kids who have made the jump to college ball, especially D1 programs. As much as we would like to think otherwise NDSU basketball is a relatively unknown quantity in western ND. The Bismarck Tribune does a terrible job following all SU sports. An Austin Dufalt from Killdeer or Beholavek from Mandan would generate a lot of interest out here. I realize this may be straying from the subject but if an in-state kid can help your program and put it in the headlines it's a good thing.

IowaBison
02-27-2007, 05:02 PM
After this season is in the books, the three winnable games that hurt the worst may have been Minnesota, Colorado State and Iowa State. Those three teams had something in common that the Bison did not contend with very well and that was all had post players that out muscled us in the paint. This will be a common problem if and when we get to the post season unless it is addressed.

It would be nice to have a back up point guard with good handles and could score some but the most pressing need is a big body that can hold people off the low block, play defense and rebound. I say again, it doesn't necessarily need to be height because girth can be just as difficult to deal with. We need a beast down low. Luke will need help in the paint.

The two games that killed us were Texas Tech and K State. If the Bison would have won those games there RPI would probably super-100.

TaTonka_31
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
After this season is in the books, the three winnable games that hurt the worst may have been Minnesota, Colorado State and Iowa State. *Those three teams had something in common that the Bison did not contend with very well and that was all had post players that out muscled us in the paint. *This will be a common problem if and when we get to the post season unless it is addressed. *

It would be nice to have a back up point guard with good handles and could score some but the most pressing need is a big body that can hold people off the low block, play defense and rebound. *I say again, it doesn't necessarily need to be height because girth can be just as difficult to deal with. *We need a beast down low. *Luke will need help in the paint. *

The two games that killed us were Texas Tech and K State. *If the Bison would have won those games there RPI would probably super-100.

Beating KSU and TT would have been huge but I was referring to games the players and the coaching staff I think felt they could and possibly should have won. As the season unveiled, Minnesota, Iowa State and CSU were all beatable teams for the Bison. My point was that all three teams had something we lacked and that was a real banger in the paint. CSU had two guys like that.

IowaBison
02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
ndsu had no chance with iowa state.

hubalek controlled the game, ndsu had no answer.

TaTonka_31
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
ndsu had no chance with iowa state.

hubalek controlled the game, ndsu had no answer.

This was the point of my posts. As it turned out Hubalek was a surprise as to how well he played. There is no question that with another Big, Iowa State was certainly a winnable game for the Bison. Going in we certainly thought we had a better chance against IU vs KSU and TT I think most people would agree.

ThunderRadioguy
02-27-2007, 08:06 PM

I hear from people in the know that Tviet is gonna be a blast to watch. They say it's the starters vs the reserves in practice and that 90% of the scoring comes from Tviet. Not that the rest of the bench has a lot of scoring but still that is pretty darn good if you ask me. Also if Sammy S. puts on some muscle, 10-15 pounds, like Winkleman did last off-season he could be a force. Sam's post game has been much better as of late. Luke coming back will help with the rebounding, and with Sam and Michael I think that they could easily step into Dre's role. We will miss the big guy but I think that these guys will step in and be just fine.

TheDoctor
02-27-2007, 08:09 PM

I hear from people in the know that Tviet is gonna be a blast to watch. They say it's the starters vs the reserves in practice and that 90% of the scoring comes from Tviet. *Not that the rest of the bench has a lot of scoring but still that is pretty darn good if you ask me. *Also if Sammy S. puts on some muscle, 10-15 pounds, like Winkleman did last off-season he could be a force. *Sam's post game has been much better as of late. *Luke coming back will help with the rebounding, and with Sam and Michael I think that they could easily step into Dre's role. *We will miss the big guy but I think that these guys will step in and be just fine. *

I love it! Everyone is gonna start calling him Sammy S. :D

ThunderRadioguy
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM

I hear from people in the know that Tviet is gonna be a blast to watch. They say it's the starters vs the reserves in practice and that 90% of the scoring comes from Tviet. *Not that the rest of the bench has a lot of scoring but still that is pretty darn good if you ask me. *Also if Sammy S. puts on some muscle, 10-15 pounds, like Winkleman did last off-season he could be a force. *Sam's post game has been much better as of late. *Luke coming back will help with the rebounding, and with Sam and Michael I think that they could easily step into Dre's role. *We will miss the big guy but I think that these guys will step in and be just fine. *

Yeah, once we start saying it on ThunderRadio, it will take the country by storm! ;D

I love it! *Everyone is gonna start calling him Sammy S. *:D

TheDoctor
02-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Yeah, once we start saying it on ThunderRadio, it will take the country by storm! ;D

I love it! *Everyone is gonna start calling him Sammy S. *:D

and I can say I gave him the name. What a claim to fame! ::) ;D

SirHinn
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
The exposure of giving a well known ND kid can't be underestimated. I think a lot of bb fans follow kids who have made the jump to college ball, especially D1 programs. As much as we would like to think otherwise NDSU basketball is a relatively unknown quantity in western ND. The Bismarck Tribune does a terrible job following all SU sports. An Austin Dufalt from Killdeer or Beholavek from Mandan would generate a lot of interest out here. I realize this may be straying from the subject but if an in-state kid can help your program and put it in the headlines it's a good thing.

The biggest thing though is are any of these players division 1 caliber players? NDSU isn't going to give a scholarship to a kid just to generate interest in the western portion of the state. NDSU is trying to make a run at a potential NCAA tournament bid in 2 years, that should generate enough interest in itself.

D
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM

The biggest thing though is are any of these players division 1 caliber players? *NDSU isn't going to give a scholarship to a kid just to generate interest in the western portion of the state. *NDSU is trying to make a run at a potential NCAA tournament bid in 2 years, that should generate enough interest in itself. *

You are right. And Beholavek is nowhere near a Division I caliber player. He's better suited for a Dickinson St, Jamestown, Valley City. Maybe Bismarck St for a chance to move on to a DII program, but in no way can he play at NDSU. Athletically he is a few steps below.

roadwarrior
02-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Luke Moorman is from Dickinson. I think that qualifies for western ND.

Mr._Burgundy
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Just catching up. Freddy Coleman is "from what I hear" the best athlete around, and will bring some high flying action to the BSA. He is more of a combo guard, but not strictly a point guard. I spoke to Renee Pulley who runs the Howard Pulley AAU stuff in the summer and he was actually upset that this kid gave up football. He said something about being an NFL Athlete...not a quarterback, but that type athlete. Pretty cool comments from a guy who has been around hoops for a long time. I don't think he is a pure shooter, but he can move the ball up the court. Fun to watch. If you watched midnight madness, he is electric.

BisBison
02-28-2007, 02:19 AM

The biggest thing though is are any of these players division 1 caliber players? *NDSU isn't going to give a scholarship to a kid just to generate interest in the western portion of the state. *NDSU is trying to make a run at a potential NCAA tournament bid in 2 years, that should generate enough interest in itself. *

You are right. *And Beholavek is nowhere near a Division I caliber player. *He's better suited for a Dickinson St, Jamestown, Valley City. *Maybe Bismarck St for a chance to move on to a DII program, but in no way can he play at NDSU. *Athletically he is a few steps below.

I'm not so sure about that, although I may be a bit slanted being a Mandan grad. I've seen him flat out take over a game and getting the whole team going at the same time. He's quick for 6'3" and has a good vertical and quick release on his jumper. But at the same time he can dissappear at times. I just don't know if he could play at the D-I level or not, but maybe with a redshirt year he could contribute.

D
02-28-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm not so sure about that, although I may be a bit slanted being a Mandan grad. I've seen him flat out take over a game and getting the whole team going at the same time. He's quick for 6'3" and has a good vertical and quick release on his jumper. But at the same time he can dissappear at times. I just don't know if he could play at the D-I level or not, but maybe with a redshirt year he could contribute.

You'll have to trust me on this. Not a chance. The western Class A teams, heck, the whole state, is really lacking in guards. Granted, the best teams in the state are out west, but even there the guards are not good. Williston's backcourt is laughable. If Quale had anybody to play with him in the backcourt, they'd be dynamite. The kid from Mandan will be with an NAIA school, Bismarck State, Williston could take a flyer on him, or possibly Mary could take him as a local walk-on. Not a chance in the world he ends up at NDSU. There isn't even any activity by the Sioux on him.

He may be putting up big scoring numbers, but this isn't like years past when we saw Jacobsen, Boschee, Jahner, Terry, or Maijcak putting up similar numbers. What they did was impressive because there were good guards around the state. Not this year, though.

SirHinn
02-28-2007, 04:03 AM

Luke Moorman is from Dickinson. *I think that qualifies for western ND.

Did you ever watch Moorman back in the day? Man he was fun to watch in highschool. It's kind of fun to watch tapes of him too to see how much he truly has progressed since then. Luke has certainly came along ways! Hopefully we'll see him step up next year and help ease the loss of Andre.

BisBison
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM

You'll have to trust me on this. *Not a chance. *The western Class A teams, heck, the whole state, is really lacking in guards. *Granted, the best teams in the state are out west, but even there the guards are not good. *Williston's backcourt is laughable. *If Quale had anybody to play with him in the backcourt, they'd be dynamite. *The kid from Mandan will be with an NAIA school, Bismarck State, Williston could take a flyer on him, or possibly Mary could take him as a local walk-on. *Not a chance in the world he ends up at NDSU. *There isn't even any activity by the Sioux on him. *

He may be putting up big scoring numbers, but this isn't like years past when we saw Jacobsen, Boschee, Jahner, Terry, or Maijcak putting up similar numbers. *What they did was impressive because there were good guards around the state. *Not this year, though.

Maybe not D-I but I know Mary is giving him serious consideration. And with their tuition they don't get any walk-ons. Pintar is offering $$$.