WePharm
02-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Ok so what is the Lunde's situation?

TheDoctor
02-20-2007, 02:48 AM
PLEASE! If someone knows anything - enlighten us. :-/

Bison13
02-20-2007, 04:28 AM
For some unknown reason, he keeps getting hurt in practice. He is so prone to getting hit in the head. I guess when he gets a elbow to the head, his eyes kinda glass over and he has to sit down, when a normal person can just shake it off and be fine. Im guessing he has had too many concusions and it is so easy for him to get hurt now. Not sure about the scholly thing. I dont think that Miles promised anyone that they will have their school paid for even if they get hurt, so anything can happen. I guess I kinda expect him to not return, unless he somehow gets healed???? He has only played like 6 games in the past 2 years??

sambini
02-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Tough break for the young man. Just wish he could get a break with his health. I thought the latest was his wrist though?

Jdubs21
02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
everyone keeps talking about this promise miles makes to a players parents and how he will take care of them....but he also has made a promise to the fans and the entire university to WIN!, miles must do what is best for the team and give them the advantage to chalk up another W night in and night out, lunde is a big boy, he shouldnt need someone to hold his hand...he either has to put out or get out, and up to this point he has done nothing but puss out and is hurt 90% of the time, yank the schollie

NorthernBison
02-20-2007, 07:36 PM
everyone keeps talking about this promise miles makes to a players parents and how he will take care of them....but he also has made a promise to the fans and the entire university to WIN!, miles must do what is best for the team and give them the advantage to chalk up another W night in and night out, lunde is a big boy, he shouldnt need someone to hold his hand...he either has to put out or get out, and up to this point he has done nothing but puss out and is hurt 90% of the time, yank the schollie

Yanking a scholarship doesn't automatically free one up. I'm sure there are some scholars on here who know the specific rules but the NCAA also limits the number of scholarships offered to a certain number over a two or three year period. It is possible to be below the maximum level but still be prohibited from offering additional scholarships. I remember Monson getting into a bind at UM a couple of years ago over this.

I admire Tim's commitment to his recruits.

silkamilkamonico
02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Lunde's situation is unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing him develop when the Fab 5 recruiting class came on. Too bad he's had all the injuries, because he hasn't been able to proactice and it's really hindered his development.

Lunde seems like a really great guy and everyone likes him. I do wish people would stop saying Miles owe's the fans, and he owes the University. IMHO, he doesn't owe them anything when it comes to his team. He owes his players and coaches, just like his coaches and players owe him.

Whatever happens with him, it's IMHO that Miles do whatever's in the best interest of the program.

silkamilkamonico
02-20-2007, 08:00 PM
miles must do what is best for the team and give them the advantage to chalk up another W night in and night out, lunde is a big boy, he shouldnt need someone to hold his hand...he either has to put out or get out, and up to this point he has done nothing but puss out and is hurt 90% of the time, yank the schollie

This is an absurd post. I'm sure Lunde isn't asking anything from anybody, and the comment about him "pussing out" is completely ignorant and over the top. I'm sure he's a hard working player that has had some bad breaks that are out of his control. Insinuating that he has somehow chosen his situation to a degree is irrational. All he can do is deal with it.

99Bison
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
What if the scholership player chooses to quit the team, is that scholarship free'd up (for the next season presumably)? In certain situations doesn't it seem like the student/athlete chould quit the team out of respect for the program and school? It could be considered the "right" thing to do I would think, and would be appretiated by everyone.

Now I don't know if this is one of those situations or not because I don't know the details. However from the outside it appears that Lunde being able to ever contribute is doubtful and if that is the case this would be a prime example.

NorthernBison
02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
What if the scholership player chooses to quit the team, is that scholarship free'd up (for the next season presumably)? In certain situations doesn't it seem like the student/athlete chould quit the team out of respect for the program and school? It could be considered the "right" thing to do I would think, and would be appretiated by everyone.

Now I don't know if this is one of those situations or not because I don't know the details. However from the outside it appears that Lunde being able to ever contribute is doubtful and if that is the case this would be a prime example.

I don't know all the exceptions and how the scholarship limits are applied. I just remember a "Sports Huddle" from a year or two ago where Monson was explaining it to Sid and Dave. Basically, the Gophers graduated X number of players and logic would lead you to believe that it would free up that many scholarships but, it didn't work that way because you can only offer so many new scholarships over a two or three year period. I still haven't figured out how this affects programs that have significant numbers of ballers leave early for the NBA.

cabis
02-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I asked around a week or so ago about Lunde and the story I got was that he couldn't even lift without getting symptoms. So it doesn't seem to be a contact issue now but just vigorous activity that gives him problems. I'm no doctor but that doesn't sound too good for the kid's athletic future. Just hope he can get over it for day to day activities.

99Bison
02-20-2007, 10:13 PM

I don't know all the exceptions and how the scholarship limits are applied. *I just remember a "Sports Huddle" from a year or two ago where Monson was explaining it to Sid and Dave. *Basically, the Gophers graduated X number of players and logic would lead you to believe that it would free up that many scholarships but, it didn't work that way because you can only offer so many new scholarships over a two or three year period. *I still haven't figured out how this affects programs that have significant numbers of ballers leave early for the NBA.

At least in our case one would presume that we could have scholarships to offer up since we have so many from that 3rd year class, which will be 4th year next year.

D
02-20-2007, 10:33 PM

I don't know all the exceptions and how the scholarship limits are applied. *I just remember a "Sports Huddle" from a year or two ago where Monson was explaining it to Sid and Dave. *Basically, the Gophers graduated X number of players and logic would lead you to believe that it would free up that many scholarships but, it didn't work that way because you can only offer so many new scholarships over a two or three year period. *I still haven't figured out how this affects programs that have significant numbers of ballers leave early for the NBA.

The rule you are wondering about, the 5-8 rule, has been done away with by the NCAA. Under it, a program award 5 scholarships in on year, and 8 in a 2 year period. The point of it was to try to, essencially, help graduation rates and it encourage coaches to recruit players who would be in school for few years. However, it left the powereful schools shorthanded if they lost players to the NBA, fielding teams with only 10-11 scholarship players at times.

In place of it, a rule to legistlate academic performance was passed. It takes away scholarships from schools who don't perfrom up to set standards. These cases have been few and far between thus far, though.

Snoop-a-Loop
02-21-2007, 01:14 AM
If a determination is made that Tom is medically unable to play, Tom will be done for good. NDSU will still pay for his school and it frees his scholarship for another player.

This is too bad as NDSU had high hopes for him. If Tom is truly medically unable to play, I hope he does not leave NDSU....he should finish is education on NDSU....and maybe even help coach.

Mr._Burgundy
02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
He can potentially "help coach" or be a student assistant and get his schooling paid for and then have a schollie freed up. Anyone who says he is a puss is a joke. The kid has been nothing but classy and hard working. Not everyone pans out. We recruited a fab 5 and 4 of them turned out pretty darn good. Miles has said many times that when healthy, Lunde could be one of their top 3 to 4 players. Remember, we aren't exactly crawling with 6'8 players.

Jdubs21
02-21-2007, 02:25 AM
first of all i was not saying anything about his charecter...he is proably a really great guy...but he is jsut not a Division 1 basketball player....i am sure he is a hard worker on the court and in the classroom, but when your not able to play, dress, or practice are u helping the team...that is what i was getting at. Team players do what is best for the team...and he has had his chances, its jsut time that we give someone else one

Hammersmith
02-21-2007, 05:31 AM

Yanking a scholarship doesn't automatically free one up. *I'm sure there are some scholars on here who know the specific rules but the NCAA also limits the number of scholarships offered to a certain number over a two or three year period. *It is possible to be below the maximum level but still be prohibited from offering additional scholarships. *I remember Monson getting into a bind at UM a couple of years ago over this.

I admire Tim's commitment to his recruits. *

I believe the following is the only limit placed on re-awarding scholarships.

15.5.7 Limitations on Re-Awarding of Financial Aid. A team that presents an academic
progress rate below the standard rate, as determined by the Committee on Academic Performance,
shall not re-award any financial aid countable toward team limits that was previously awarded to a
student-athlete who renders himself or herself academically ineligible for the following academic year
and withdraws from the institution or does not remain enrolled for any reason at any time. (Adopted:
4/29/04 effective 8/1/05; Revised: 12/14/04)

This bylaw may also apply in this case:

15.5.1.3 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point
that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall
not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury
or illness.

SlickVic
02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
get off lunde aka agent zero hes the man such a nice guy so deadly with his 3 game kid can rain hopefully he gets healthy anyway jermiah warsbacker baby cant wait to see him bangin in the post *:D ;) :D 8-) :) ;D ;) :D

SirHinn
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
get off lunde aka agent zero hes the man such a nice guy so deadly with his 3 game kid can rain hopefully he gets healthy anyway jermiah warsbacker baby cant wait to see him bangin in the post *:D ;) :D 8-) :) ;D ;) :D
What relevance does Lunde being a nice guy have to do with him constantly being injured and not being able to contribute to the Bison? I just don't see any type of correlation at all. In all honesty, with all the concussions that Lunde has had, he needs to look out for his own well being at this point. I just hope he looks at hanging it up before there are any long term effects to all the concussions he has suffered.

SlickVic
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
dont worry warsbackers on his way

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Seriously? Wurzbacher suiting up for the last 4 games this season?

NDSUstudent
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Seriously? *Wurzbacher suiting up for the last 4 games this season?

Zo was running a temp of 102 last night, Woody was a little under the weather but still practiced and Pennick has Broncitis. Miles said he isn't going to play with just 6 guys and said he may have to call up coach Bohl to bring in some reserves. I don't know if he did or not but that is what he said last night on Bison feedback.

kchats
02-22-2007, 12:40 AM
If Tom Lunde has had another concussion he needs to really have it checked out by a neurosurgeon and make sure he is OK. If he isn't he needs to quit athletics so he doesn't have long term health issues. I read earlier this year that Ted Johnson (a New England Patriot linebacker) recently retired will have early symptoms of alzheimers due to concussions. They said he would have alzheimers by age 50. Not a thing I would wish on a young guy like Lunde. He needs to do what is best for his long term health.

bisonhusker
02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
He has not yet been cleared to play, it is not in their hands.

99Bison
03-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Lunde went in with the FB players last night I think... Is it a sign? :'(

Box score has him in for a minute.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=697&SPSID=11898&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=813578

Also, d.o. wasn't suited up...

imabison
03-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Lunde went in with the FB players last night I think... Is it a sign? :'(

Box score has him in for a minute.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=697&SPSID=11898&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=813578

Also, d.o. wasn't suited up...

I am sure there is a limit to the number of players that can dress, and perhaps D.O. just said he did not want to if not needed.

Tom Lunde looked very out of shape, and thin. I fear we may have seen him in his last game as a Bison, but that is just a guess.

99Bison
03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah... that was my implication too...

Mr._Burgundy
03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Very recently, I was told he had not been cleared to play, so I was also shocked when he came in late. I want to use his schollie and try again. Best of luck to him, great guy.

Mr._Bill
03-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I viewed last nights late substitution by Lunde as a farewell gesture from Miles. Again, I don't know anything, but it felt like his being put in for the last minute was a message of farewell. Just the feeling I had, nothing more.

mikelsch
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I viewed last nights late substitution by Lunde as a farewell gesture from Miles. *Again, I don't know anything, but it felt like his being put in for the last minute was a message of farewell. *Just the feeling I had, nothing more.

Agree 100%

If it was his last time in a Bison uniform, Thank you Tom for giving it your best. It would really be too bad, because he really is a talented player and a quality person.

TheDoctor
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Very recently, I was told he had not been cleared to play, so I was also shocked when he came in late. *I want to use his schollie and try again. Best of luck to him, great guy.

++++ ;)

IronRanger
03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I believe that Lunde will be back next season, I believe that in this off season he will be able to get some of his medical isses cleared up. I know that he kept getting hurt in the practices which they had, so that is why he was not playing. With his scholarship, I believe that he will keep it due to him being medically unable to play. I know that a few years ago that a wrestler had a scholarship, ended up having concusions an unable to wrestle, but he was able to hold onto his scholarship. I believe the only way that it would become free would be for him to quit the team, or not accept it.

TheDoctor
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't he have to be medically cleared to play Saturday night, even if it was just for a minute. Makes me wonder if he might actually be cleared to play next year. :-?

mikelsch
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't he have to be medically cleared to play Saturday night, even if it was just for a minute. *Makes me wonder if he might actually be cleared to play next year. *:-?

My guess is that he played on Saturday night "at his own risk". Maybe Miles will talk about this on Bison Feedback on Wednesday.

TheDoctor
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Miles told us last night at the Team Makers kickoff that Tom was sent out there under the understanding he was not going to do anything to put himself at risk. *He said he was to have some testing done right after spring break that should help him get a better feel for where he is at. *I know your going to say what kind of testing and I honestly can't remember for sure. *I want to say he said diagnostic testing. *So at this point it has not been determined if he is clear to play next season.