PDA

View Full Version : New Goals...

NDSUstudent
12-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Alright the NIT hopes are probably dead after last night but just because we can't make the NIT(a long shot to begin with) doesn't mean the season can't be called an improvement. Last year we were 16-12 and finished with an RPI of 227 so if we can keep the RPI under 200 and get to 20 wins I don't see how anybody couldn't call this season a great success. Yeah, the team lost a few close games but they were all to major conference teams on the road which is a step up from the losses we had last year(Idaho St, Idaho, etc). Also in most of those games we got the best effort from the teams we played(Monson had the Gophers pumped to take us on and Huggy told his team that the NDSU game would make or break their seseason). I have even checked out a few boards of the teams that played us and they have nothing but great things to say about our team and even say beating NDSU was a great win. Just think a few years ago nobody at any Major conference would be saying things like that.

So far the team has definately picked things up on the road but the next step this team needs to take is beating the EMU's, SDSU's, and UVSU's of the world on the road(consistantly). If that happens, I don't see how the team doesn't reach 20 wins and ends up with an RPI of below 200. Miles can build on that and that would put us on track to being a force in the Mid-Con next year. Where the NIT hopes get a big boost since all we need to do is win the regular seseason title and we are in, of course that won't be easy but it is definately more probable of happening then making it as an indy.

TaTonka_31
12-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Very good post NDSUstudent. I agree

TheDoctor
12-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Very good post NDSUstudent. *I agree

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++great indepth analysis

Jdubs21
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
agreed

BisonCardinal
12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
[quote author=NDSUstudent link=1166569090/0#0 date=1166569090]Alright the NIT hopes are probably dead after last night but just because we can't make the NIT(a long shot to begin with) doesn't mean the season can't be called an improvement. Last year we were 16-12 and finished with an RPI of 227 so if we can keep the RPI under 200 and get to 20 wins I don't see how anybody couldn't call this season a great success. Yeah, the team lost a few close games but they were all to major conference teams on the road which is a step up from the losses we had last year(Idaho St, Idaho, etc). Also in most of those games we got the best effort from the teams we played(Monson had the Gophers pumped to take us on and Huggy told his team that the NDSU game would make or break their seseason). I have even checked out a few boards of the teams that played us and they have nothing but great things to say about our team and even say beating NDSU was a great win. Just think a few years ago nobody at any Major conference would be saying things like that.

Tony, is there any way to get a "What They're Saying" section for basketball like you have set up for football?

NDSUstudent, could you provide some links, if you get the time. Thanks!

DenverBison05
12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Tony, is there any way to get a "What They're Saying" section for basketball like you have set up for football?

NDSUstudent, could you provide some links, if you get the time. *Thanks!

The easiest way is to go to this site (http://collegesportsinfo.com/directory). *It has most of the DI message boards, including team and conference message boards.

IowaBisonToo
12-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Hey, Denver. Are you up to your armpits yet in snow? Saw Boulder had 33" of the white stuff on the news this morning while you guys were around 20".

imabison
12-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey, Denver. *Are you up to your armpits yet in snow? *Saw Boulder had 33" of the white stuff on the news this morning while you guys were around 20".

Pretty rare when Denver gets all that snow, and we are probably not going to get any of it. Whew. Although a little bit would be ok.

DenverBison05
12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey, Denver. *Are you up to your armpits yet in snow? *Saw Boulder had 33" of the white stuff on the news this morning while you guys were around 20".

I cant see my car, its completely covered in snow. :o *I live on the south side of Denver, near Castle Rock, so we got it really bad. *I was planning on driving back to Bismarck on Friday for the Holidays, but not sure now how Im going to get back. *Suppose to continue snowing until later tonight. *:( *Oh well at least Denver should have a white christmas *:)

IowaBisonToo
12-21-2006, 03:58 PM

I cant see my car, its completely covered in snow. :o *I live on the south side of Denver, near Castle Rock, so we got it really bad. *I was planning on driving back to Bismarck on Friday for the Holidays, but not sure now how Im going to get back. *Suppose to continue snowing until later tonight. *:( *Oh well at least Denver should have a white christmas *:)
Well, if you can get out of the front range and get headed East, hopefully it will be clear sailing. Good Luck! :)

NDSUstudent
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Alright the NIT hopes are probably dead after last night but just because we can't make the NIT(a long shot to begin with) doesn't mean the season can't be called an improvement. Last year we were 16-12 and finished with an RPI of 227 so if we can keep the RPI under 200 and get to 20 wins I don't see how anybody couldn't call this season a great success. Yeah, the team lost a few close games but they were all to major conference teams on the road which is a step up from the losses we had last year(Idaho St, Idaho, etc). Also in most of those games we got the best effort from the teams we played(Monson had the Gophers pumped to take us on and Huggy told his team that the NDSU game would make or break their seseason). I have even checked out a few boards of the teams that played us and they have nothing but great things to say about our team and even say beating NDSU was a great win. Just think a few years ago nobody at any Major conference would be saying things like that.

So far the team has definately picked things up on the road but the next step this team needs to take is beating the EMU's, SDSU's, and UVSU's of the world on the road(consistantly). If that happens, I don't see how the team doesn't reach 20 wins and ends up with an RPI of below 200. Miles can build on that and that would put us on track to being a force in the Mid-Con next year. Where the NIT hopes get a big boost since all we need to do is win the regular seseason title and we are in, of course that won't be easy but it is definately more probable of happening then making it as an indy.

20 wins....check
RPI under 200....check

This season was definately a great one and the future is bright. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

My goal for next year, win the Mid-Con and go to the NIT.

TheDoctor
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM

My goal for next year, win the Mid-Con and go to the NIT.

AMEN!!!!!!!!! *Can we say road trip? :D No wait! Lets say HOME GAME! ;)

fightinbison
03-06-2007, 04:15 AM
NIT Never a Chance......

Although it pains me because "Coach Tim" is a close friend lets look at the success of the NDSU Mens Team...

Other Than Marquette,Wis GBay and 1 win Against Utah Valley State did we beat any Div 1 teams with a winning record...? * NO!

Sure we handled the likes of Mayville, Mary, Valley City, Moorehead State,Southwest State- * 5 Wins

Winston Salem St, NJ Tech, SDSU, IPFW, Texas Pan AM, Idaho- *12 wins......(they have 45 wins total)

16 of our 20 wins against really WHO?

WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO!!!!!!

DenverBison05
03-06-2007, 04:24 AM
NIT Never a Chance......

Although it pains me because "Coach Tim" is a close friend lets look at the success of the NDSU Mens Team...

Other Than Marquette,Wis GBay and 1 win Against Utah Valley State did we beat any Div 1 teams with a winning record...? * NO!

Sure we handled the likes of Mayville, Mary, Valley City, Moorehead State,Southwest State- * 4 Wins

Winston Salem St, NJ Tech, SDSU, IPFW, Texas Pan AM, Idaho- 11 wins......(they have 45 wins total)

15 of our 20 wins against really WHO?

Who is talking about making the NIT this year? *I dont think anyone believes we are going to make the NIT. *Plus MSU-M is not one of our 20 wins. *

NDSUstudent
03-06-2007, 04:25 AM
NIT Never a Chance......

Sure we handled the likes of Mayville, Mary, Valley City, Moorehead State,Southwest State- * 5 Wins

Winston Salem St, NJ Tech, SDSU, IPFW, Texas Pan AM, Idaho- *12 wins......(they have 45 wins total)

16 of our 20 wins against really WHO?

First of all nobody is saying anything about the NIT this year. Also was I dreaming or did NDSU not have close games against K-State, Texas Tech and Colorado State. K-State and TTU are both one win away from going dancing, NDSU lost to those teams by a combined 5 points. Sure they were losses but they belong in your analysis. NDSU was a very competitve team and that much has been proven, there is still work to do but we are close to where we need to be and that is being able to take the Mid-Con next year and the year after that. Do that and we'll make the NIT next year and the Big Dance in 08-09.

fightinbison
03-06-2007, 04:37 AM
RPI under 200...?

If we want to make the NIT we need to be around 70-90, or win the conference title, and loose in the tourney which is now the formula for the NIT auto bid....

Do you guys have any idea what a schedule needs to look like (with WINS) to have a under 100 RPI...?

UNI right now RPI 79 SOS 74 4-4 against top 50 RPI finished at 18-13...may not make the NIT

NDSUstudent
03-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Our RPI was 227 last year my goal was to get it down under 200 for this year and get 20 wins, neither had anything to do with NIT because I clearly stated our hopes were dead after losing to CSU.

If NDSU wants to go the NIT we have to win the Mid-Con, if we lose the Mid-Con our RPI will not be good enough unless we had one amazing non-conference record and schedule. Therefore my goals for next year are to win the Mid-Con and in doing so make the NIT.

fightinbison
03-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Our RPI was 227 last year my goal was to get it down under 200 for this year and get 20 wins, neither had anything to do with NIT because I clearly stated our hopes were dead after losing to CSU.

If NDSU wants to go the NIT we have to win the Mid-Con, if we lose the Mid-Con our RPI will not be good enough unless we had one amazing non-conference record and schedule. Therefore my goals for next year are to win the Mid-Con and in doing so make the NIT.
Agreed and that takes me back to my original post, we only beat 3 Div 1 teams with winning records...

Close is fun to watch, but it does not count.....

Long way to go......I'm rooting for Tim and Boys.......but it is a big hill to climb.

TaTonka_31
03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Regardless of how you want to grade the success or lack of success the last two years during this transition period, I think most would agree that the mens team is way ahead of schedule compared to most teams in a similar positions over the years. There is no question that lack of bench scoring prevented this team from winning close games with high majors and hence possibly reaching heights no one could have dreamed of a few years ago. But as FightingBison says, close doesn't count for much. Still, getting 20 wins is a bench mark the players and coaches can be proud of regardless of SOS.

There is no question that next years goal will be to try to win the Mid-Con regular season championship and get the automatic NIT bid. Make no mistake about it, this will be a very difficult thing to accomplish. There should be no Bison fans that should think any way else. It will difficult but possible with the players we have coming back and the added depth we should have.

Besides this goal, there should be a major effort to start building their SOS for the next two years and beyond. Absolutely no D2 teams during the regular season and try to schedule as many Top 100 RPI teams as possible to build the non-conference resume with hopefully some wins. This means more non-conference road games but that is life of mid-major trying to establish their programs.

I think a great example for Bison fans to look at is what Butler has accomplished this year. They are a lock for an at large bid because of what they accomplished in their non-conference schedule. Is there any doubt that this group of Bison players could not do something similar if given the chance.

Building SOS and winning your share of games in order to win an automatic did, is of course a hedge against suffering the ultimate fate of some mid-major teams this time of year. The agonizing loss of the conference tournament championship and the automatic bid to the "Big Dance". With the Bison going into the 2008-2009 season with four fifth-year seniors, that would be a blow to those players that would be hard to swallow if the unspeakable happens.

We need to start building SOS now to try to prevent this ultimate disappointment from ever happening.

NorthernBison
03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this but, I think there is a big difference between goals and benchmarks. While it is great to have goals like winning the Mid-Con regular season and making the Big Dance in 2009, those are not the kind of benchmarks that we should be using to define success.

I was watching the Big Ten tourney at lunch today and I think I heard the announcers say that Michigan hadn't made the tourney in 8 years. Can that possibly be true? If it is, then the Bison making the Dance in their first year of eligibility just got moved to the category of greatest accomplishments in Bison history.

There are schools out there who have NEVER made it. I refuse to think we are in that category but I, for one, would be satisfied with some close calls to start with and even if it takes us 10 years to make the tournament, I could live with it.

RodentiaX1
03-10-2007, 12:32 AM
There are many levels of goals, just like there are levels of grades in school. Some people are talking what it takes to get an "A", and some are talking about what it takes to get a "C". Winning the Mid-Con is an "A", but it doesn't mean that the season isn't a success.

TheDoctor
03-10-2007, 03:49 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this but, I think there is a big difference between goals and benchmarks. *While it is great to have goals like winning the Mid-Con regular season and making the Big Dance in 2009, those are not the kind of benchmarks that we should be using to define success.

I was watching the Big Ten tourney at lunch today and I think I heard the announcers say that Michigan hadn't made the tourney in 8 years. *Can that possibly be true? *If it is, then the Bison making the Dance in their first year of eligibility just got moved to the category of greatest accomplishments in Bison history.

There are schools out there who have NEVER made it. *I refuse to think we are in that category but I, for one, would be satisfied with some close calls to start with and even if it takes us 10 years to make the tournament, I could live with it.

In Tommy Amaker's defense (I always back the Dukies ;)) there are plenty of small time conferences in the nation that Michigan could have won in the last 8 years. Just because they are not good enough for an at large bid doesn't mean the winners of the smaller conferences (such as the MidCon) would get an at large either. In other words one of the great things (NDSU wise) is that EVERY conference tourney winner gets an auto bid, unfortuntely for the Michigan's that takes away from the possibly more deserving at large bids. ;) So, it would be MUCH more likely that NDSU will winn the MidCon tourney in 09 than Michigan getting an at large bid.

TXBison_Fan
03-10-2007, 07:54 PM
When we 1st went D1 if somebody would have told me we were competing with K-State, TTU, I would have called them crazy. You guys are expecting this to happen way too fast. I would be the happiest guy in the world if it happened but we might need to tone it down on the opptomism a little tad.

NDSUFREAK10
03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
WINNING THE BIG GAMES! (if it hasn't already been mentioned)

TaTonka_31
03-11-2007, 06:06 AM
I guess there are many Bison fans that are willing to think small, in fact the media market for Bison Sports is still stuck in a D2 mode as far as I am concerned. *They treat the Bison the same way they treat Moorhead or some high school hockey game. *Its pathetic. *D1 has not really caught on yet. *

As far as the Mens Basketball team is concerned, make no mistake about it, they will be a favorite to win the Mid-Con in the 2008-2009 season. *This was the plan when Miles redshirted five recruits in 2005. *They will go into the 2008-2009 season with not only four fifth (hopefully five) year seniors but very good fifth year seniors. *This is unprecedented in college basketball today. *It should be a major disappointment to everyone in ND if they don't get to the NCAA tournament that season. *

It has not been a fluke that this team has competed with everyone and beat some very good teams with freshman and sophomores. *This is a high quality team that will just get better. *

I guess the main thing is that the players feel they can beat any team they play even if many in their market still don't believe they can or will.

NDSUstudent
03-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Some here are selling our team short, people need to just take a step back and look at what they have done thus far. From winning in the Kohl Center, to beating a Marquette team that had taken down Duke just a few weeks prior to that. K-State came to the BSA to play and we matched them every step of the way. It is no fluke this team is good and will only get better, goals and expectations need to keep on rising. Now is not the time to settle!

TheDoctor
03-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Some here are selling our team short, people need to just take a step back and look at what they have done thus far. From winning in the Kohl Center, to beating a Marquette team that had taken down Duke just a few weeks prior to that. K-State came to the BSA to play and we matched them every step of the way. It is no fluke this team is good and will only get better, goals and expectations need to keep on rising. Now is not the time to settle!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

Bisongold
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
We still need a big man to replace Dre!

TaTonka_31
03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
There is no question Dre was a big factor for the Bison the last two seasons and it would be nice to have him back but every team loses valuable Seniors. Oral Roberts and Oakland lose two major starters each. They will not lament, but will just plug in new players and expect to have winning programs next season. The Bison will do the same.

Keep in mind, the strength of the Bison is team defense. There is no way this team could beat teams like Wisconsin or Marquette unless they played tremendous team defense. Losing Dre will not change this fact. The Bison will just get better and will increasing become harder and harder to score against. Defense always creates offense. We know the returning starting players can score, expect improvements in the returning bench players and we have three more scorers coming into the program next year in Tweidt, Coleman and Carlson.

Expect the Bison to be better with more depth next season. Go Bison!

Mr._Burgundy
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Kansas State was snubbed...they are out. Too bad, they have been fun to follow this season. Alot of talented athletes.

NDSUFREAK10
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Marquette is ranked 8th.