PDA

View Full Version : The State of Bison Hoops.....

NDSUstudent
03-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Well it happend, I doubt none of us thought it would happen so soon but we all knew it was going to happen eventually. Honestly, I don't mind if NDSU is a stepping stone because if we are losing coaches to higher level programs we will be having success. Many solid teams have lost coaches and didn't skip a beat, just look at Gonzaga, SIU, VCU, etc. We have plenty of talent coming back and NDSU will be a very solid opening for any up and coming coach that wants it. Miles turning down UNCW last year reflected where NDSU is at as a program and seeing him get an even better offer only a year later is going to excite a lot of coaches who are looking to take that next step.

That said we as a school have to do better at making the decision a tougher one for whoever our coach is. A new basketball arena is a must and the pay scale will also have to keep on raising, if we want success in DI hoops like we have had thus far it is going to take a very solid commitment from not only the admin but also the fans. Miles left us in a great place and now it has to be our mission to make it an ever better place. Even if you can't donate the big bucks you can stilll make a difference by showing up, playing in front of a packed house every night will probably mean just as much to the players as a new arena would. If we want to be a player in college basketball now is the time to prove it, it is sad to see Miles go but I have feeling that the program hasn't peaked and that bigger and better things are on the way if we want them enough.

BisBison
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Well spoken student.

WePharm
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Any chance Miles will take some players with him?

NorthernBison
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Good question. The way I understand NCAA rules is that you have to sit a year in this type of transfer. It you have already redshirted, you end up losing a year of eligibility. (Am I right about this?) Based on our history of redshirting, that would make it costly for any of the current players to make a move. I don't know about recruits that have signed letters of intent. I guess I don't see that happening.

roadwarrior
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I highly doubt any players will follow Miles to CSU.

RedRiver
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Did Saul stay back? What is the situation with the assistants? Did they all leave?

WePharm
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Coach Miles it was a great ride! Best of everything to you and your family. No one can say NDSU athletics isn't interesting to follow! On a different track, this will put 'SU basketball on the front sports news burner for some time. Positive buzz is a good thing.

Just hope all the players & recruit(s) hang with us.

cabis
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Did Saul stay back? *What is the situation with the assistants? *Did they all leave?
Saul is the only one who stayed. Koering and Richman are both gone as well.

sambini
03-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Well it happend, I doubt none of us thought it would happen so soon but we all knew it was going to happen eventually. Honestly, I don't mind if NDSU is a stepping stone because if we are losing coaches to higher level programs we will be having success. Many solid teams have lost coaches and didn't skip a beat, just look at Gonzaga, SIU, VCU, etc. We have plenty of talent coming back and NDSU will be a very solid opening for any up and coming coach that wants it. Miles turning down UNCW last year reflected where NDSU is at as a program and seeing him get an even better offer only a year later is going to excite a lot of coaches who are looking to take that next step.

That said we as a school have to do better at making the decision a tougher one for whoever our coach is. A new basketball arena is a must and the pay scale will also have to keep on raising, if we want success in DI hoops like we have had thus far it is going to take a very solid commitment from not only the admin but also the fans. Miles left us in a great place and now it has to be our mission to make it an ever better place. Even if you can't donate the big bucks you can stilll make a difference by showing up, playing in front of a packed house every night will probably mean just as much to the players as a new arena would. If we want to be a player in college basketball now is the time to prove it, it is sad to see Miles go but I have feeling that the program hasn't peaked and that bigger and better things are on the way if we want them enough.
+++++++++++++++

99Bison
03-23-2007, 03:13 AM

Did Saul stay back? What is the situation with the assistants? Did they all leave?

According to in-forum, all assistants stayed in fargo. Richman being mentioned of possibly leaving eventually.

99Bison
03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Bison need to regroup a little then continue the "momentum" project in BB!

Rams2007
03-23-2007, 04:40 AM
This is exactly right. Given that guys like Woodside redshirted, I don't think any will come to CSU with coach Miles, because yes, they would then lose a year of eligibility.

Good question. The way I understand NCAA rules is that you have to sit a year in this type of transfer. It you have already redshirted, you end up losing a year of eligibility. (Am I right about this?) Based on our history of redshirting, that would make it costly for any of the current players to make a move. I don't know about recruits that have signed letters of intent. I guess I don't see that happening.

Rams2007
03-23-2007, 04:42 AM
In today's press conference, coach Miles sad that Richman was the only one he asked to come along, and he hasn't yet decided.