PDA

View Full Version : Its mostly about money......

WYOBISONMAN
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I have said this before regarding our efforts and retaining coaches......it is all about money. Despite the fact that Miles has a stellar group of players coming up, despite the fact that Miles is the main man in town during BB season, despite the fact that Miles is loved by the Twin Cities sports gurus.......it flat came down to 400,000 reasons to move to Ft. Collins. That is the way it will be in the future.....Bohl, Miles or others. In the end thier loyalty has to be in a direction that will advance thier carreer and bank account. I think Miles made the right choice in moving. I always doubted that he would stick around to see Woodside and Co. graduate..... If the Bison FB team has another huge season......remember Miles when you think about the choices Bohl will have to make.

colt46
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
I think that is an unfair characterization.

NDSU probably pays better than most of the Big Sky, Mid-Con, and other similar leagues. *The money is a by-product of going to a Mountain West school with better resources. *It really is about the opportunity, and "the money" is only one aspect of that opportunity. *The bottom line is that the MWC will be a consistent 2-3 bid league and the state of CO will probably embrace a consistent winner in DI college basketball. (Air Force aside) *The opportunity to advance from CSU is better than it is from NDSU. *If you want to put a price on that, so be it, but to think as though the NDSU job is on the same level as the CSU job and the only reason Miles would leave is financial, is really not accurate and portrays him as chasing only the money. *Not trying to be combative, but I find it hard to believe it was solely about the money. *

I think that is a common misconception about coaches. When it comes down to it, with Miles ability to sell, he could probably have been making $400,000 a year for the past ten years and be ready to retire, were he in the private sector. *For people like Tim, the challenge and the opportunity are what truly motivates him and the money is a nice additional benefit.

Take it for what it's worth.

Paulie
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Way too logical for this board Colt46.

Please mods, overnight a pair of homer glasses to Colt46 ASAP.

tony
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Way too logical for this board Colt46. *

Please mods, overnight a pair of homer glasses to Colt46 ASAP.

Hehe, I agree with Colt46 too. I think Coach Miles is goal-driven to compete at the highest level he can. If money was his main goal, he sure as heck wouldn't be in coaching.

When it comes to getting the best possible coaches at NDSU, I don't think it is much about the money at all - it's about what NDSU does to help them reach their goals. Thanks largely to what Miles and company have accomplished, I think a lot of coaches are going to look at NDSU as being a tremendous opportunity. The only problem for the new coach is that there isn't going to be much room for new schollies until 2009 but, if I were them, I'd look at the guys already here and be very happy.

tcbison
03-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I think that is an unfair characterization.

NDSU probably pays better than most of the Big Sky, Mid-Con, and other similar leagues. *The money is a by-product of going to a Mountain West school with better resources. *It really is about the opportunity, and "the money" is only one aspect of that opportunity. *The bottom line is that the MWC will be a consistent 2-3 bid league and the state of CO will probably embrace a consistent winner in DI college basketball. (Air Force aside) *The opportunity to advance from CSU is better than it is from NDSU. *If you want to put a price on that, so be it, but to think as though the NDSU job is on the same level as the CSU job and the only reason Miles would leave is financial, is really not accurate and portrays him as chasing only the money. *Not trying to be combative, but I find it hard to believe it was solely about the money. *

I think that is a common misconception about coaches. When it comes down to it, with Miles ability to sell, he could probably have been making $400,000 a year for the past ten years and be ready to retire, were he in the private sector. *For people like Tim, the challenge and the opportunity are what truly motivates him and the money is a nice additional benefit.

Take it for what it's worth.

I am happy for Coach Miles. He deserves the bigger paycheck and the chance to coach a higher profile team. If I could increase my pay by 4 times what I was making, I would do it also. Miles left the program in a much better position than when he started.

Bison74
03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Amen to that. We should be extremely grateful to Tim Miles for the time and effort he put into our program. He has left the basketball program in a much more favorable position . The last thing we need at NDSU is career losers. Read that to mean a certain ex-coach from the north who is now an assistant to his ex-assistant.

WYOBISONMAN
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh, I am grateful to Miles and Bohl for what they have done for NDSU. Both will be legends in NDSU athletics, but, I still say that it comes down to cash. Most coaches will not stay on board for loyalty, etc. They will move to the best opportunity and as Mid Major fans we need to recognize that. And, the best opportunity will mean more money (or prestige if you prefer).

At NDSU when we have very successful coaches, we need to be prepared for them to move on up. We will in the near future not be able to compete with even a program like CSU or WYO for that matter when it comes to money.

WYOBISONMAN
03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
......and maybe I am in a pissy mood today because my HR Director just got hired away for more cash!! :-[

TheBisonator
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Amen to that. We should be extremely grateful to Tim Miles for the time and effort he put into our program. He has left the basketball program in a much more favorable position . The last thing we need at NDSU is career losers. Read that to mean a certain ex-coach from the north who is now an assistant to his ex-assistant.

I doubt that we'll see career losers here in the future. We may still likely be a coaching carousel program, but NDSU basketball may very well become a magnet for up-and-coming hot prospect coaches from DII (like Mike Leaf) or hot assistants from the Big Ten, Big XII, etc.

The Wisconsin and Marquette wins took us out of the realm of being a haven for loser coaches.

bisonhusker
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
this may be a little off track, but this is another reason we need a better hoops facility/offices/team room/locker room....etc.

RodentiaX1
03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Money is always a factor in any decision to take a job. If money were merely a by-product that coaches barely even considered, then wouldn't these schools that pay their coaches more be fools for paying large salaries? Money is part of what makes these jobs attractive.

Money isn't everything, of course. Savannah State would have difficulty attracting a top D-I coach, no matter how high the salary was. It's not all about money, but let's not pretend that money isn't a factor. How many people here on the boards have changed jobs to make more money? Why should we expect any different from coaches? You do have to keep things in balance, a lot of people have jobs they love, but they pay too little; other people have jobs they hate but pay a lot.

met1990
03-23-2007, 08:59 PM
A lot of people seemed pretty concerned about NDSU losing a lot of coaches, or at least losing them on a regular basis. Has NDSU ever had that happen? At least in recent memory? If so, has it negatively affected the program(s)?

I'm just thinking that outside of the men's bball program in the 90s, there isn't a lot of coaching upheaval. I guess I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

Anyway, Miles was here for six years. I think that's a pretty good run, especially when you consider what he's gone through here (the BSA, D-I transition, lakesbison...)

TheDoctor
03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
A lot of people seemed pretty concerned about NDSU losing a lot of coaches, or at least losing them on a regular basis. Has NDSU ever had that happen? At least in recent memory? If so, has it negatively affected the program(s)?

I'm just thinking that outside of the men's bball program in the 90s, there isn't a lot of coaching upheaval. I guess I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

Anyway, Miles was here for six years. I think that's a pretty good run, especially when you consider what he's gone through here (the BSA, D-I transition, lakesbison...)

Wait a minute! Didn't NDSU tell Miles that if he left he had to take Lakes with him? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TransAmBison
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
You mean Lakes isn't leaving?

SERIOUSLY!!!!

He really isn't????????????????

My SOURCES CONFIRMED THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I predicted this!!

LOUD NOISES!!!!!! ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk about Firetrucks!!!

*Did I leave anything out? :)

TheBisonator
03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
You mean Lakes isn't leaving?

SERIOUSLY!!!!

He really isn't????????????????

My SOURCES CONFIRMED THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I predicted this!!

LOUD NOISES!!!!!! ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk about Firetrucks!!!

*Did I leave anything out? :)

LAKESBISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talks in one sentence PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, this is HUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111````2

This is the 64682592865932659835th time we have talked about UND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PREDICTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7-0 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FSN NORTH 3,234 times a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we should be the GREATEST college sports program in the UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You UND losers GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, now we're done. ;D

tony
03-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Well, NDSU won 8 football championships with five different head coaches and we were losing basketball coaches about every other year before Miles. It's much better to be losing coaches for the reasons that NDSU is now.

Mr._Bill
03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
If you've ever been to Ft. Collins, it wouldn't take me 400G's to move there. Great town, not because of CSU, but great town.

TheDoctor
03-24-2007, 03:12 AM
If you've ever been to Ft. Collins, it wouldn't take me 400G's to move there. *Great town, not because of CSU, but great town.

BUT can you convice Lakes to move there? It might take 400G's to get you there if you had to take him with you. ;D ;D

Rams2007
03-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Well, it has been rated several times as the #1 place to live in the country. But we like to keep that hush, hush, so don't tell anyone.... :)

If you've ever been to Ft. Collins, it wouldn't take me 400G's to move there. Great town, not because of CSU, but great town.

TriCollegeBison
03-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Well, it has been rated several times as the #1 place to live in the country. But we like to keep that hush, hush, so don't tell anyone.... :)

If you've ever been to Ft. Collins, it wouldn't take me 400G's to move there. *Great town, not because of CSU, but great town.

That's because they have a place called "Big City Burrito." *Best burrito anywhere. *I had a friend fly me in one when she went to Colorado.

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Beats the hell out of Laramie as a college town, but, Fargo trumps them both....IMHO.

Mr._Bill
03-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I think the Miles family will wake up with a smile each day as they look at the mountains out the windown and have a few more bills in their pockets. Good move by Tim and family, you can't look at it any other way. NDSU has a great ambassador in Tim Miles going forward. In the long run win-win.

Coach_W
03-24-2007, 02:06 PM
With Tim's ability to coach/recruit, he may not be in Fort Collins for more than 3 years either. We'll miss his fire and passion. Tim a very loyal guy but when opportunity knocks, you have to go. CSU is a perfect fit for Tim and his staff. They'll still be able to recruit the same area and the conference they are in can get 2 teams a year in the dance. He'll win there because he's a winner. Good luck Coach!!!! ;)

Rams2007
03-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Never been, but I'll get up there one of these days. Hey, maybe I'll come up for the NDSU-CSU game. :)

Beats the hell out of Laramie as a college town, but, Fargo trumps them both....IMHO.

Mr._Bill
03-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Make your plans, CSU in Fargo next year will be the NDSU event of the year. If it is anything like K-State last year, it will be a full arena, loud and hostile, not to Miles however! He will get a standing O!

tcbison
03-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Well, NDSU won 8 football championships with five different head coaches and we were losing basketball coaches about every other year before Miles. It's much better to be losing coaches for the reasons that NDSU is now.

I have to agree with Tony on this one.

Mr._Burgundy
03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Get your season tickets now: Why wouldn't you? The team will be better than ever...finally with some depth.....and Timmy Miles coming in to the BSA!!! That is worth the price of the season right there. I already told Miles that if he bails out on that game, I am going to fly out to CSU and heckle him non stop. We are also working on him to come back for the Bison Open in September. At this point he doesn't know what he is doing for dinner let alone in September, but he has a title to defend.

sambini
03-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Well said Mr. B and hopefully you can increase his Teammaker donation also.