PDA

View Full Version : McFeeley Calling Miles a Liar

T-Mac
03-25-2007, 03:15 PM
In today's Forum article, McFeeley is quite critical of the former Bison coach for his dishonesty during the whole CSU hiring process.
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=160707&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

A bit harsh? *What do you think?

Gamehunter
03-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I guess I thought it was fine but can see why others might think its borderline.

Rams2007
03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
That columnist sounds like a whiney baby who's just mad that he didn't get the scoop. Give me a break... Miles is a liar because he said "no" when asked if he had been contacted? First off, many employers REQUIRE that you do not reveal that you have being contacted. Second, if you say "no comment" when asked if you've been contacted, most reporters interpret that as a yes. I have no doubt that this whiney baby columnist would've interpreted it exactly that way and would've then written a column about Miles being out there looking for a job.

In today's Forum article, McFeeley is quite critical of the former Bison coach for his dishonesty during the whole CSU hiring process.
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=160707&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

A bit harsh? What do you think?

roadwarrior
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
McFeely, Hallstrom, Kolpack and Scott Miller talked about this on the radio on friday. I don't think the column was all that much of a stab at Miles as it was telling it how it is more common. With all of the attention and resulting circus last April, I don't blame Miles for not responding with the truth.

Rams2007
03-25-2007, 04:12 PM
By the way, that columnist speaks of honesty. What is completely dishonest is for him to claim that if a coach says "no comment" when asked if he's been contacted that it'll "end the circus." That is complete B.S. If a reporter hears "no comment," it is interpreted as a "yes" and then that reporter will usually proceed to go on a fishing expedition to find out who the coach has been talking to. You better damn well believe that if this columnist heard a "no comment", he'd immediately start digging. You say "no comment" and the circus actually BEGINS, not ENDS.

Pretty remarkable for the columnist to get on his high horse and speak of dishonesty knowing damn well that he himself is being dishonest when saying that a "no comment" is all that it would've taken to "end the circus." He and everyone else knows better than that.

SirHinn
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
By the way, that columnist speaks of honesty. What is completely dishonest is for him to claim that if a coach says "no comment" when asked if he's been contacted that it'll "end the circus." That is complete B.S. If a reporter hears "no comment," it is interpreted as a "yes" and then that reporter will usually proceed to go on a fishing expedition to find out who the coach has been talking to. You better damn well believe that if this columnist heard a "no comment", he'd immediately start digging. You say "no comment" and the circus actually BEGINS, not ENDS.

Pretty remarkable for the columnist to get on his high horse and speak of dishonesty knowing damn well that he himself is being dishonest when saying that a "no comment" is all that it would've taken to "end the circus." He and everyone else knows better than that.

Do you know anything about McFeeley? Have you read any of his articles before? Your essentially hating on a man who speaks his mind and for the most person is speaking truth in the article. No comment isn't always interpreted as a yes either. It seems like the reason why your upset is because he is now talking about your headcoach. Perhaps look at it from a neutral aspect and you'll see he has a point. Is it a from in college sports as a whole right now? Of course its a big problem, props to people who come out and say it is.

Mr._Bill
03-25-2007, 05:07 PM
And I suppose if Miles would have said, "We'll actually Mike, I really do like my job at NDSU, but I do have an interview at CSU on Tuesday". *But it really needs to be kept confidential as to avoid any serious problems at both universities if nothings comes of the interview". *

Then you, Mike Mc, being of such high integrity would have followed the wishes of Tim Miles and made sure that this did not get leaked to the public??? * *

You are an absolute idoit for printing an article calling Miles a liar. *An absolute Idoit. *You understand nothing about how the world works. *Miles cannot, and I repeat, cannot leak stuff like that to the media (especially you). *Unless, of course, you have such high integrity to keep this information safe? *I thought not! * What an Ass!

This classless article ranks right up with McFeeleys article where he was suggesting that Chapman, Taylor and Bohl would be as childish to give the Big Sky a middle finger solute. How does this guy have a job??? Unbelievable!

Mr._Burgundy
03-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Miles has always went above and beyond to accomodate McFeely, and I feel this article is uncalled for. Why? What is the purpose for that article? To stir things up on a coach who left for greener pastures? It is worthless. Why couldn't he write an article about how Miles turned the program into a respectable D1 program, and that we are now a stepping stone job. That is what I expected anyway. I like what he writes sometimes, but question the timing of some articles. It isn't like Miles can respond. I agree with the CSU fan, if he states..."No comment." You can book it....McFeeley is all over it. He loves to stir things up, and the power of the pen states that nobody can respond. Miles will always take the high road.

Rams2007
03-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know him, which is exactly why I can give an objective opinion. I'm sorry, but it's complete B.S. that a coach can say "no comment" and it's dropped. Did that happen last year when Miles started saying "no comment" or was there a total circus for three weeks? Maybe McFeeley would drop it--I don't know, I don't know his work. But that's certainly not the general case. Most of his colleagues in the media would be all over a comment like that. It would cause them to PURSUE the story, not back off from it.

But the other thing I don't like about this opinion piece is that McFeeley talks about this culture where coaches lie. Did he ever think about and discuss why coaches feel they have to lie? Did he look inward at how the industry he is part of has created that situation? Why is it that coaches now feel they have to lie? Because you can not trust reporters to respect the integrity of the job search process. You can not take their word that they'll keep things under wrap until there's a public announcement. Instead, reporters don't even blink in eye to report on anything they possibly get ahold of, even if it is causes damage to the career of coaches involved, even if it is risking their attaining a better job, even if it is causing student athletes to look elsewhere, etc., etc.

That is what I have a problem with in the column. How can you possibly rip on coaches for lying about job prospects when you work in an industry that is ruthless and will lie or whatever else necessary to get the information they want, no matter who gets trampled on? Where is McFeeley's criticism of the media that has created the necessity of being dishonest?

For McFeeley to ignore the role of the media that he is a part of as the cause for coaches needing to lie is completely disingenuous. I don't need to know anything about McFeeley's past work to see that pointing fingers at coaches without pointing any fingers at his colleagues in media is extremely disingenuous and is itself being dishonest about the situation.

bisonjay
03-25-2007, 05:15 PM
That article was not that bad folks. I think a couple of you need to take a couple steps back from the ledge and calm down.

Mr._Bill
03-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Does this guy have an editor at the Forum! Does anyone edit this guy! I'm starting to think that the editors (or lack thereof) at the forum are to blame. How does this guy get printed? It is one idiotic childish rant after another. Someone control this guy!

Mr._Bill
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
That article was not that bad folks. *I think a couple of you need to take a couple steps back from the ledge and calm down.

BS

Rams2007
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
It's not that big of a deal. I just think it needed to pointed out that the person calling someone a liar is himself being dishonest and disingenuous, and is himself part of media that has created a culture in which coaches and athletic directors have no choice but to lie.

That article was not that bad folks. I think a couple of you need to take a couple steps back from the ledge and calm down.

IowaBison
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I think that Mike was right on the money.

kchats
03-25-2007, 08:03 PM
How many of you have looked for another job while currently employed? Most of the time when you are looking for a job while employed (and not in danger of losing your job) you do not tell your current employer because you may not find or get hired for that other job. Of course to interview you have to take vacation, sick leave or Paid Time Off(PTO) which I guess McFeely would construe as lying.

Of course in this instance Tim Miles and the AD from Colorado State had informed Gene Taylor of the interest and interviews. I like how this particular situation was handled because the first any of us heard about it Miles had already accepted the position. We didn't have to fret and worry during the long drawn out process of interviewing and negotiating.

I read in one of Gene's comments following the announcement of Miles getting hired at Colorado State that if it had leaked out that Miles was interviewing at Colorado State and they went with someone else and he remained at NDSU his credibility and NDSU's credibility could be hurt. He said boosters might start saying how long is Miles going to stay since he has interviewed with two programs a step up in the past two years. I tend to agree and feel that Miles moving on is in the long term best interests of the program. Miles was obviously ready to take the next step and coach against a higher level of competition on a regular basis and was going to keep trying until he suceeded.

I personally hope the next thing we hear from Gene Taylor regarding NDSU's head coach is that they have hired a new one. I am also all for giving a young up and coming guy his shot. Gene will know if that guy has what it takes. The guy that just hired Miles had hit the motherload with two other coaches with no previous experience at SIU and what if NDSU does the same. Who says Saul Phillips can't be a better coach than Miles was?

NDSUguy
03-25-2007, 10:36 PM
My two cents:

1. Miles did lie. McFeeley's article didn't necessarily throw him under a bus. He was trying to make a point about the nature of college athletics.
2. There really is no reason for a head coach to lie. No successful head coach should fear losing their job if they did tell the truth and say that there were other schools in the mix.
3. Coaches are public figures. Along with local/national fame comes scrutiny by the media. Miles has always been great with the media and he certainly is capable of handling the "Fargo media storm".

I guess, I didn't find what McFeeley said to be that bad. He brings up a point that we are now entering a realm of college athletics that we really never had before. Seldom before have we had coaches that were very successful leave for bigger programs.

Last thought regarding OnBison's comments...... As far as him being "edited" by the Forum... What do you expect an editor to do? Should they make sure that McFeeley doesn't say anything bad about NDSU????? Why would an editor want to do this? McFeeley's job is to stir the pot. Kolpack is the sports writer, McFeeley is the columnist who spews his opinions -- Good or Bad.

NDSU1980
03-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Anyone who thinks McFeely is ever going to print anything intelligent or constructive is as dumb as McFeely himself. The man is nothing but a chain jerker. I usually don't even waste my time reading him.

02Bison
03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Anyone who thinks McFeely is ever going to print anything intelligent or constructive is as dumb as McFeely himself. *The man is nothing but a chain jerker. *I usually don't even waste my time reading him.

Just because what he writes isn't of the "NDSU homer" variety doesn't mean its not factual. *Miles said "no" last week when asked if he had been in contact with any other schools regarding head coaching positions. *He said "no". *How does reporting the facts make him a liar? *I'm not necessarily a McFeeley fan, but journalism is supposed to be somewhat objective. That's journalism 101. Just because you don't like what he writes doesn't make him a liar. *Wearing NDSU blinders is nice and all, but don't take what you see through those blinders so seriously. *

BBJunkie
03-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Burgundy, I agree with you completely. McFeely was way out of line. To answer your question about, why can't he wirte something about how Miles turned the program around, that is simple. MIKE DOESN'T KNOW HOW!!!!!! He has mad a career at other's expense, and he will not stop now. It sells papers. The mere fact that there is a thread about this topic means Mike McFeely wins again. He was front and center about the D-I move, and only recently ate some crow about those comments.

What I find interesting, is , I have first hand knowledge of stories Mike has written that are not totally factual, yet he is calling the best thing that ever happened to NDSU Men's Basketball a LIAR!!!! It is a total sham that he get away with these antics. McFeely needs to be held accountable, and be more responsible. I have been with Tim on occassions when he has called McFeely about a story, and just because he didn't get something this time he decides Tim is a liar.

THIS IS TOTAL BULLS@#T!!!!

colt46
03-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Just for something to think about... *Let's say Miles was asked if he had been "interviewed" by another school; *If he had been contacted, but not interviewed, was he really lying? *Sure there is the obvious connection, but don't think for a second that AD's, like the one at CSU, aren't pretty savvy themselves. *If I was an AD I would contact a coach and tell him specifically, "this is NOT an interview in case you are wondering, I just want to ask a few questions." That specific comment provides some built in protection from rumors and speculation which all of us on this board and in the media get very excited about. *Before you get all crazy with somantics, just keep in mind that a week or two of speculation does no good for the coach, the players, or the program. *The way this thing shook out is much better than last year's fiasco.

The crap that took place last year with Wilmington was a joke. *Non-stop media questions, and rightfully so. *The AD at Wilmington handled things Horrendously.

Something to think about anyway.

SirHinn
03-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Anyone who thinks McFeely is ever going to print anything intelligent or constructive is as dumb as McFeely himself. *The man is nothing but a chain jerker. *I usually don't even waste my time reading him.

The bigger question is why? Is it because he's not always a homer and sometimes criticizes the bison or coaches of the bison? Is it because the man voices his opinion that people don't necessarily agree with? Why criticize a man and call him dumb because his opinion isn't the same as yours? You question his lack of intelligence, I sure hope your education level is the same as is.

TheDoctor
03-26-2007, 04:35 AM

The bigger question is why? Is it because he's not always a homer and sometimes criticizes the bison or coaches of the bison? *Is it because the man voices his opinion that people don't necessarily agree with? Why criticize a man and call him dumb because his opinion isn't the same as yours? *You question his lack of intelligence, I sure hope your education level is the same as is. *

Does he have ANY positive opinions though is the question. *Because, he chooses to always write about the negative ones. *Is what he is saying true? *In a non abrassive way, yes, BUT why focus on it. *As others have pointed out, the BIGGER picture (and McFooley knows it as well) is that Tim put Bison basketball not only on the basketball radar for the first time ever, but the National radar. *In coaching your either getting hired or getting fired. *Go get yours Tim, we all would. * :D

99Bison
03-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Anyone who thinks McFeely is ever going to print anything intelligent or constructive is as dumb as McFeely himself. The man is nothing but a chain jerker. I usually don't even waste my time reading him.

The bigger question is why? Is it because he's not always a homer and sometimes criticizes the bison or coaches of the bison? Is it because the man voices his opinion that people don't necessarily agree with? Why criticize a man and call him dumb because his opinion isn't the same as yours? You question his lack of intelligence, I sure hope your education level is the same as is.

He is a homer for moorhead state. He attempts to write similar "unbiased" articles for moorhead state, but he can't pull it off you can see the homerism. He has never and never will be a Bison Homer and always will be a moorhead state homer. If he wrote about NDSU like he does mhd st, the complaints would subside and people would talk about the actual points.

SirHinn
03-26-2007, 06:05 AM

The bigger question is why? Is it because he's not always a homer and sometimes criticizes the bison or coaches of the bison? *Is it because the man voices his opinion that people don't necessarily agree with? Why criticize a man and call him dumb because his opinion isn't the same as yours? *You question his lack of intelligence, I sure hope your education level is the same as is. *

He is a homer for moorhead state. He attempts to write similar "unbiased" articles for moorhead state, but he can't pull it off you can see the homerism. He has never and never will be a Bison Homer and always will be a moorhead state homer. If he wrote about NDSU like he does mhd st, the complaints would subside and people would talk about the actual points.

Have you read any of his articles in regards to MSUM? How about the article about Coach Tomeo and his cocky attitude or even perhaps President Barden and his lack of whats going on at MSUM? How about the article about their previous AD? I would love to see an article where all he does is have nothing but praise for MSUM because so far I've yet to see that article.

All Tim Miles had to do was say no comment, all Nick Saban had to do was say no comment. But don't say no your not going anywhere when in turn a better opportunity comes you may leave. All you do is set yourself up for criticism when you say your not leaving when in turn the possibility may come. It is just too bad though when coaches amongst professional sports are set to a different standard then the rest of society. Don't know about anyone else but if I get offered a better job with more pay, I'm taking it regardless of what I said in the past and I'm not thinking twice about it.

SDbison
03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
OK, I have sat back and had enough. BTW, good comments SirHinn. Is the love fest about Miles over yet? I swear, some of you must be sleeping with him. Yeah, Miles did a pretty good job with the Bison during the shaky transition years, but the confidence of those 5 redshirt freshman had nothing to do with the teams success? How about Miles' inability to coach the team to success on the road? Close, but not quite? Before you all jump all over me, how about the failure of Miles to stick around and honor at least a couple years of his new contract.....oh, I forgot, contracts don't mean shit except for when things turn ugly and a coach can stick around for a while. You would think he could have at least hung in there for another couple years to see where these overachieving kids took NDSU. No, Colorado State, not much of a jump up (talent wise), was just too much of a great offer to not accept. Makes me wonder if Miles knew something we all don't get. The loss of Andre Smith and the inability to come up with a replacement may have weighed heavily in Miles decision. Of course, money comes first before loyalty. Got to put on green and gold goggles and bow down to Tim. Geez NDSU was lucky to have him. He was the greatest. No one will ever compare. ::)

WYOBISONMAN
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I thought the article by McFeely was pretty much on target. *Miles didn't tell the biggest lie, but it was a lie. *I agree that "No Comment" would be a more appropriate response. *And, McFeely addressed the issue by good use of humor and demonstrating that there were others that have told more outrageous lies than Miles. I agree with McFeely that integrity and honesty are qualities that are getting left behind in the modern day collegiate coaching world.

Bison_Dan
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought the article by McFeely was pretty much on target. *Miles didn't tell the biggest lie, but it was a lie. *I agree that "No Comment" would be a more appropriate response. *And, McFeely addressed the issue by good use of humor and demonstrating that there were others that have told more outrageous lies than Miles. *I agree with McFeely that integrity and honesty are qualities that are getting left behind in the modern day collegiate coaching world.

If he would have said "no comment" or Bohls line " I can't talk about any etc." the media would still be in the same spot, not knowing anything. *In hind sight Miles should have said "no comment" instead of "No". *If you had a 5 year 400,000.00/yr. guaranteed contract on the line would you talk with McFeely?

TransAmBison
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
SDbison, on this one I have to disagree with you. I find nothing wrong with what Mcfeeley said, but I feel he should have countered it with what he did for NDSU. Bottom line, though, is that Tim needed to do what is best for his family and himself. Period. If he sticks around for one or two more years that offer might not be there. They offered him an insane amount of money...more money than any of us would have guessed.

As for what he has done, he guided us to some crazy upsets that has put NDSU on the map...once with freshmen and once with sophmores. Freshmen and sophmores cannot do game in and game out what upperclassmen do and win every game. These next two years could be huge for NDSU...and that is all thanks to Miles.

sioux_goo
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
IMHO Mr McFeely is way out of line here. People are exactly right...that he would have put it all over the paper and dug every hole to find a story, even if there wasnt a story..Miles is gone. He did a great job. Let it lie!!

IowaBison
03-26-2007, 01:35 PM
The thesis of McFeely's article is that dishonesty has become a trademark of college coaching transitions in recent years as demonstrated recently/locally by Tim Miles (he states that Tim's case is far from being an egregious one and that there are benefits to such behavior). It's is not that Tim Miles is a lying sob.

I personally understand and agree to some extent with Tim's mo this year. Last year it was a bleeping circus with UNC-Wilmington.

From a scale of 1 to 10, Tim's denial was a 2 maybe a 3. Given Nick Saban's recent episode (which was an 8 or an 9), I see McFeely's article as newsworthy and right on the money.

Let's save the lambasting for when McFeely really deserves which will likely be sometime later this week.

OCBison
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
SDbison, on this one I have to disagree with you. *I find nothing wrong with what Mcfeeley said, but I feel he should have countered it with what he did for NDSU. *Bottom line, though, is that Tim needed to do what is best for his family and himself. *Period. *If he sticks around for one or two more years that offer might not be there. *They offered him an insane amount of money...more money than any of us would have guessed.

As for what he has done, he guided us to some crazy upsets that has put NDSU on the map...once with freshmen and once with sophmores. *Freshmen and sophmores cannot do game in and game out what upperclassmen do and win every game. *These next two years could be huge for NDSU...and that is all thanks to Miles.

Isn't it ironic that if any of those players wanted to do "what is best for his family and himself" and transfer to CSU or anywhere that they would have to sit out a year?

But if a coach wants to break a contract and leave he/she is free to do so without any reprocussions whatsoever.

Bison_Dan
03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
SDbison, on this one I have to disagree with you. *I find nothing wrong with what Mcfeeley said, but I feel he should have countered it with what he did for NDSU. *Bottom line, though, is that Tim needed to do what is best for his family and himself. *Period. *If he sticks around for one or two more years that offer might not be there. *They offered him an insane amount of money...more money than any of us would have guessed.

As for what he has done, he guided us to some crazy upsets that has put NDSU on the map...once with freshmen and once with sophmores. *Freshmen and sophmores cannot do game in and game out what upperclassmen do and win every game. *These next two years could be huge for NDSU...and that is all thanks to Miles.

Isn't it ironic that if any of those players wanted to do "what is best for his family and himself" and transfer to CSU or anywhere that they would have to sit out a year?

But if a coach wants to break a contract and leave he/she is free to do so without any reprocussions whatsoever.

That's apples and oranges - There was a 35,000.00 buy out so nothing was broken.

gobison1
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
As much as everybody hates McFeely (I am one of them), he does a very good job at doing his job. He is just like Eddy Schultz. They both get paid to stir the pot. Everybody for the most part loves Tim Miles. So what would McFeely do here? CALL HIM A LIAR!! Good work McFeely-you are still a putz but I believe your job at The Forum is very secure.

T-Mac
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
What bothers me the most about his article is that he uses it in order to retaliate against not only Miles, but everyone who makes him work for a story. *When Miles was asked the question about other employment possibilties and he answered no, McFeeley and the other gumshoes in town had to work harder for the story, tracking down leads and re-questioning past sources. *The media in town expects to be handed information without having to work for it. *If they don't get it handed to them, they either sue or write a column about it. *

The Twin Cities are no better with the way they treated Tice and the way they are treating Major Dad. *The media loved Tice because he told them everything, basically handing stories to them. *They were sorry to see him go. *But now they are very closed off to the Vikings and have to track down sources since the head coach is much more guarded. *Being a reporter is a hard job and when it is made more difficult by those that are guarded with their answers, it does not give them the right to resort to name calling.

ndbisonfan
03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
personally, I am not a huge fan of mcfeeley. sure miles lied, who cares. I think most people would be surprised at how often that happens in college athletics. It's a part of the business, for most coaches a part of the job description. Not saying I agree with it, just stating that it happens all the time and most people don't know about it. Does that really call for a write up in the form? I guess he can do what he wants but it seems a little extravagant.

rmoss36
03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
McFeeley is a punk. He is a what have you done for me today half bit writer who cheers for teams and doesn't write articles. He's writing an article pissed off because Miles didn't spoon feed him an easy story a week early. Tim got asked to keep quiet and said he would. He opens his mouth about it he probably doesn't get the job. If you remember properly McFeeley said the same thing about Bohl leaving to go to UofM for the money. Hey we need a new angle...something other than people leaving for money. Tims leaving for a little more money, a much better conference, and a school where FB and BB are almost on the same plate.

heymch86
03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Time for everybody to move on. Saul was hired today and I think that should bring closure to this whole deal

02Bison
03-27-2007, 12:56 AM
The McFeeley haters here are over-reacting! Kolpack seems to agree with what Mike said (see his blog in the In-Forum Bison Zone). Do you guys hate Kolpack too?

kchats
03-27-2007, 01:54 AM

The student athletes sign a letter of intent to play for NDSU and attend NDSU. They don't sign a letter of intent for Coach Miles. Coach Miles or whoever recruited the athlete convinces them to sign the letter of intent but they are told that they are signing on with the school and not the coach. Things happen (coaches get fired, coaches have health problems and resign, coaches leave for better jobs) but the student athletes still get to play for NDSU and receive an education on NDSU. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Rams2007
03-27-2007, 02:29 AM
I don't disagree with him at all. Coaches do lie and mislead in these situations. My point is that they don't have a choice, because the press does not respect the job search process and hold off on reporting things until the appropriate time. They instead hound the coach, dig up everything they can, and print it, even if doing so puts coaches' job situations at risk. Unlike what McFeeley claims, saying "no comment" absolutely does not call off the dogs. I don't know McFeeley and this is the first column I've ever read by him, but in this case, he's just full of crap. And saying something as patently false as that is particularly ironic in the context of an article in which he's criticizing others for being dishonest.

The McFeeley haters here are over-reacting! Kolpack seems to agree with what Mike said (see his blog in the In-Forum Bison Zone). Do you guys hate Kolpack too?

Ivy
03-27-2007, 03:18 AM
I don't disagree with him at all. Coaches do lie and mislead in these situations. My point is that they don't have a choice, because the press does not respect the job search process and hold off on reporting things until the appropriate time. They instead hound the coach, dig up everything they can, and print it, even if doing so puts coaches' job situations at risk. Unlike what McFeeley claims, saying "no comment" absolutely does not call off the dogs. I don't know McFeeley and this is the first column I've ever read by him, but in this case, he's just full of crap. And saying something as patently false as that is particularly ironic in the context of an article in which he's criticizing others for being dishonest.

This is so true. *The media in Fargo think they have a right to know everything, which is not true. *They have an obligation to report when things actually happen. *I hate all of this "scoop" mentality which can lead to reporting misleading information.

NorthernBison
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM

This is so true. *The media in Fargo think they have a right to know everything, which is not true. *They have an obligation to report when things actually happen. *I hate all of this "scoop" mentality which can lead to reporting misleading information.

Good post Ivy. You not only described the media, you also did a pretty good job describing posters on message boards. Read some of the old threads on here and you will get the picture. How many times have we seen posts that said they had information about something and others demanding to know more? I've seen numerous entries on the Bison Blog in the Forum asking Hallstrom and Kolpack to dig up more information. Kind of a pot and kettle thing going on here in more ways than one.

Ivy
03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Good post Ivy. *You not only described the media, you also did a pretty good job describing posters on message boards. *Read some of the old threads on here and you will get the picture. *How many times have we seen posts that said they had information about something and others demanding to know more? *I've seen numerous entries on the Bison Blog in the Forum asking Hallstrom and Kolpack to dig up more information. *Kind of a pot and kettle thing going on here in more ways than one.

Message boards are not really supposed to be a media outlet although they are sadly getting to be that way. *Wasn't the original intention for fans to talk about the their beloved Bison teams?

How many times do you think that Scott H***** reads the message board to get a scoop? *And then says "sources close to the situation say....." *To me, that is BS...if you say "source" name your source!

And one more thing -- isn't a blog supposed to be opinions and views on the topic instead of "Tim Miles to Colorado State, Morning update, Miles speaks, noon update, *2 p.m. update, 4 p.m. update....." to me, these were just desperate attempts to be the first guy to get the news out there trying to beat the radio and other TV guys to the punch.

It's true, everyone on this board thinks they have to the right to know – so you are all loving the blog updates, but do we really need to know that Tim Miles landed in Denver and he didn't want to talk to Hallstrom? *Duh! Give the guy some common courtesy.

SirHinn
03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Good post Ivy. *You not only described the media, you also did a pretty good job describing posters on message boards. *Read some of the old threads on here and you will get the picture. *How many times have we seen posts that said they had information about something and others demanding to know more? *I've seen numerous entries on the Bison Blog in the Forum asking Hallstrom and Kolpack to dig up more information. *Kind of a pot and kettle thing going on here in more ways than one.

Message boards are not really supposed to be a media outlet although they are sadly getting to be that way. *Wasn't the original intention for fans to talk about the their beloved Bison teams?

How many times do you think that Scott H***** reads the message board to get a scoop? *And then says "sources close to the situation say....." *To me, that is BS...if you say "source" name your source!

And one more thing -- isn't a blog supposed to be opinions and views on the topic instead of "Tim Miles to Colorado State, Morning update, Miles speaks, noon update, *2 p.m. update, 4 p.m. update....." to me, these were just desperate attempts to be the first guy to get the news out there trying to beat the radio and other TV guys to the punch.

It's true, everyone on this board thinks they have to the right to know – so you are all loving the blog updates, but do we really need to know that Tim Miles landed in Denver and he didn't want to talk to Hallstrom? *Duh! Give the guy some common courtesy.

If there wasn't a demand for it, they wouldn't be giving the update and trying to get the scoop. So as long as the demand is there, people like Hallstorm and McFeeley will continue to do what they do. Besides Miles has a public job and with that comes the lack of privacy that you will receive. They are just doing their job. NDSU wants to be bigtime, this is what happens when you get start to get bigtime.

bisonaudit
03-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Comment on the 'No Comment'

I think what McFeeley is saying is that Bohl has a blanket no comment policy regarding anything related so any actualy or speculated job search stuff. He just doesn't comment, period end of story. The media are free to work other sources and still have to do their job rather than have a story spoon feed to them and they're ok with that. These are Bohl's ground rules and then everyone can play fair.

If a coach starts taking about job search related issues with a reporter, starts answering those types of questions and then 'no comment's one of them or one line of them, clearly the story is not over and this a grounds for all kinds of speculation on the media's part because the interviewee is only answering questions when it works for them.

If your the coach and you want to be as open as possible with the media then you have no choice but to lie when you're in Miles situation. The solution is just to not comment on any job search related items.

Bison_Dan
03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Comment on the 'No Comment'

I think what McFeeley is saying is that Bohl has a blanket no comment policy regarding anything related so any actualy or speculated job search stuff. *He just doesn't comment, period end of story. *The media are free to work other sources and still have to do their job rather than have a story spoon feed to them and they're ok with that. *These are Bohl's ground rules and then everyone can play fair.

If a coach starts taking about job search related issues with a reporter, starts answering those types of questions and then 'no comment's one of them or one line of them, clearly the story is not over and this a grounds for all kinds of speculation on the media's part because the interviewee is only answering questions when it works for them.

If your the coach and you want to be as open as possible with the media then you have no choice but to lie when you're in Miles situation. *The solution is just to not comment on any job search related items.

Gene said as much on WDAY today. From now on it's "no comment" That's all the reporters are going to get.