PDA

View Full Version : Non-Traditional Season Practice

OCBison
03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I just looked in my school's gymnasium and saw 9 members of the men's MBB team doing coniditioning work under the direction of one of the strength coaches with the HC and AC there.

Did I see anything illegal?

I forget what teams are able to do at this point of the season.

Bisonguy
03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
No.

Student-athletes may participate in up to 8 hours of voluntary weekly conditioning supervised by a strength/conditioning coach outside of the season.

If they were working on offensive plays or breaking down film with the coaching staff, that would be a different story.

Ivy
03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Is it actually out of season yet? Is it still considered "in-season" when the national championship hasn't been played yet?

Bisonguy
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
From what I've read, end of season is immediately after a school's last regular season game, with an excpetion for those in postseason tournaments.

OCBison
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
No.

Student-athletes may participate in up to 8 hours of voluntary weekly conditioning supervised by a strength/conditioning coach outside of the season.

If they were working on offensive plays or breaking down film with the coaching staff, that would be a different story.

OK yesterday they were running plays, or at least 4-on-4, under the direction of the coach. Something tells me that's a little sketchy.

BisonVifte
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
another new rule has allowed coaches and players to work together for two hours each week out of the eight hours athletes can engage in what NCAA rules call "athletically related activities." For those two hours, coaches have been able to instruct their players individually or in groups as large as they choose.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2005-09-21-madness_x.htm

OCBison
03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
another new rule has allowed coaches and players to work together for two hours each week out of the eight hours athletes can engage in what NCAA rules call "athletically related activities." For those two hours, coaches have been able to instruct their players individually or in groups as large as they choose.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the rule change. I was worried that our men's BB coach might be breaking the rules.

TheDoctor
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks. *I wasn't aware of the rule change. *I was worried that our men's BB coach might be breaking the rules.

You couldn't have been that worried since you announced it to the world on here!. ;D

gobison1
03-27-2007, 08:59 PM
WOW! This thread is comical! I am pretty sure that NDSU has a pretty solid grasp on the rules and regulations that have been set forth by the NCAA. Everybody take a deep breath and enjoy the weather!

bisonhusker
03-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Clearly OCBison is not aware of who reads this board. No offense, but if you are a supporter of a program, and you "think" someone is doing something wrong, you probably wouldn't post it on their fans message board. It just doesn't make sense.

mikelsch
03-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Clearly OCBison is not aware of who reads this board. *No offense, but if you are a supporter of a program, and you "think" someone is doing something wrong, you probably wouldn't post it on their fans message board. *It just doesn't make sense. *

+++++++++++++++++

TheDoctor
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Clearly OCBison is not aware of who reads this board. *No offense, but if you are a supporter of a program, and you "think" someone is doing something wrong, you probably wouldn't post it on their fans message board. *It just doesn't make sense. *

EXACTLY my point. ;D

OCBison
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm well aware of who reads the board. Which is why I didn't post it on the board of the College where I work.

Can you point out to me where I mentioned that it was the Bison I was worried about?

I believe my words were "I just looked in my school's gymnasium".

silkamilkamonico
03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Can you point out to me where I mentioned that it was the Bison I was worried about?

I believe my words were "I just looked in my school's gymnasium". *

Considering you posted in the men's basketball section, I assumed you were talking about the men's team at NDSU.

If you were talking about another school's program, surely you would have posted it under the "other schools" section.

Mr._Burgundy
03-28-2007, 11:25 PM
OC....keep in mind that EVERYONE looks at these boards. You would be shocked. Other schools coaches/recruiters...etc. If you thought you saw something illegal, by your school (and didn't know the rules), why would you post it? I know you weren't worried, but you brought something up that you thought was wrong. Anyway, I just don't understand why you would post it. You can always post a question to learn more about the rule/rules....just my feelings.

Snoop-a-Loop
03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I can't believe I just read through this thread. I am dumber for having read through it.

kchats
03-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Maybe OCBison was trying to make it look like NDSU had violated the rules when it really was the school where OC worked. That is much worse since like everyone else said posting it here sure made it look like you were talking about NDSU's mens basketball program.

gobison1
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I can't believe I just read through this thread. *I am dumber for having read through it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OCBison
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe OCBison was trying to make it look like NDSU had violated the rules when it really was the school where OC worked. *That is much worse since like everyone else said posting it here sure made it look like you were talking about NDSU's mens basketball program.

Wow! It seems like the conspiracy theorists have run amok on the Bison Board.

Trust me when I say that my question has absolutely nothing to do with the men's BB program at NDSU. I figured this Board was the best source for getting an informed response versus walking into the Compliance Office at the DI school where I work.

As for posting it in the Men's B-ball section versus the "Other Schools" section? This section of the Bulletin Board gets a lot more traffic and pretty much guaranteed that I'd get a faster response. Which I did. What I didn't think I'd get was the large dosage of paranoia.

As for the people who read this Board, do people really and truly believe that a coach of a rival school is going to call the NCAA when a supporter of that rival school calls him up and says "Hey, guess what I read on BisonInsider.com"?