PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

bisonhusker
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I just wanted to share some recruiting info on the Men's team. We have offered PG James Hennessey out of Williston a schollie. He was Mr. Basketball for Williston a couple of years ago. 6'1 very strong point guard with great passing skills. His shooting has dramatically improved since going to the JUCO in Williston. He is currently redshirting and would have 3 years left at NDSU. He has also received an offer from Montana State, and Northern Iowa and SDSU are sniffing around. We Pharm is happy with this news!!!! Miles is going to watch the ND games today.

NDSUstudent
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
A PG with three years left would be perfect since when Woody leaves we would have an expeirenced point guard and it also doesn't add to the already big class of 08-09. We still could use another big man though...

bisonhusker
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Depth at PG was a huge issue against the majors. This would be a great get for NDSU. They are still working on the big man.....

TheDoctor
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Depth at PG was a huge issue against the majors. *This would be a great get for NDSU. *They are still working on the big man.....

And to get Woody to the 2. I think he will shine even more there. :D

Gamehunter
03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
why would Woody be better at the 2? Just curious, I don't know the diff.

Willyville22
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Just for you know. The reason why he was red shirted because he tore his ACL. I think it was his ACL.

TheDoctor
03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
why would Woody be better at the 2? *Just curious, I don't know the diff.

Woody just plays off the ball better. Vaughn was originally brought in to run the point this year but I don't believe he feels comfortable at all as the point.

mikelsch
03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
FYI: signing day is April 11

Hennessey would be a nice addition to the Bison

99Bison
03-09-2007, 01:40 AM
why would Woody be better at the 2? *Just curious, I don't know the diff.

Woody just plays off the ball better. *Vaughn was originally brought in to run the point this year but I don't believe he feels comfortable at all as the point.

+++

WePharm
03-09-2007, 04:11 AM
I never thought he had what it takes to make it in D1. Couldn't shoot in high school. Hope he changes my mind. Would rather of had Qvale

sambini
03-09-2007, 05:44 AM
FYI: signing day is April 11

Hennessey would be a nice addition to the Bison
Yes he would and I give that a ++++++++++

bisonhusker
03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
We Pharm....I am trying to make you happy!!! To be honest, he has REALLY improved his shot. In speaking with a JUCO coach that has coached against him, I heard he was really shooting it well, and playing some shooting guard. he is a very skilled passer and very strong. He is the real deal. Look at how Quale regressed after losing his PG in his junior year. OBVIOUSLY we would have wanted Quale before this kid, because you ALWAYS take height like that, but he made his decision to attend Montana. Trust me, it was not for lack of effort on the Bison staff to get him....he was the prize!!!! His younger brother is a BEAST!!!

Gamehunter
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I never thought he had what it takes to make it in D1. Couldn't shoot in high school. Hope he changes my mind. Would rather of had Qvale

I don't know about that. The kid has height for sure, but just doesn't have the skills or agressiveness for a DI center. I guess I am no expert at judging talent, but from watching Qvale in HS I think he would have been a big project. Probably 2-3 yr before he could contribute consistently IMO. I guess we'll see how he does for the Grizz.

westriverbison
03-10-2007, 01:12 AM

Hennesey is one of the best passers I have seen in ND BBall. He could score when called on. I think it's a positive potential signing as a point guard.

Mr._Burgundy
03-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Qvale's younger brother is getting looks from major schools in football. I heard we may be offering SOON. He is only a sophomore and is one big kid. He doesn't look like he is a sophomore. Sorry, our offer would be in football, tackle...not hoops, but in regards to his taller/skinnier brother, he was the kid we wanted. I understand a typical fan thinking that he isn't dominant on offense, but he is on defense. He blocks and alters everything, is a solid rebounder and has improved on the offensive end. With that being said, NDSU was all over him and did everything they could to sign him. I just try to imagine him redshirting next year with the Bison and then having 4 years with us to try to get to the dance. If we had a ton of options at the post we could be selective, Montana got a good kid.

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Osseo Minnesota 7 foot dude offered yet??? whats up with that.

Cody Schilling is still leaving towards NDSU or Creighton or UNI .

talked to his coach last week, said REALLY leaning towards NDSU after the Kansas State game, but recently with the NCAA Creighton has been rising.

sambini
03-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Qvale's younger brother is getting looks from major schools in football. *I heard we may be offering SOON. *He is only a sophomore and is one big kid. *He doesn't look like he is a sophomore. *Sorry, our offer would be in football, tackle...not hoops, but in regards to his taller/skinnier brother, he was the kid we wanted. *I understand a typical fan thinking that he isn't dominant on offense, but he is on defense. He blocks and alters everything, is a solid rebounder and has improved on the offensive end. *With that being said, NDSU was all over him and did everything they could to sign him. *I just try to imagine him redshirting next year with the Bison and then having 4 years with us to try to get to the dance. *If we had a ton of options at the post we could be selective, Montana got a good kid.
Mr.B WELL SAID . I agree the younger brother is a man. Whats this stuff on a 7' kid that Lakes is talking about? Is Lakes pulling our leg on this one?

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 05:11 AM
SAMBINI!!! CMON MAN!!!

Zack Peterson Osseo Minnesota 7 ft.

Junior, big time shot blocker, (obviously) *averages only 12 pts,

http://www.pressnews.com/articles/2007/03/07/other_sports/omgboysbb.txt

Coach Theisen credits one reason for improvement involving the better use of junior Zack Peterson, a 7-foot center who transferred from Park Center.

"We started to learn how to give Zack the ball at a better spot," said Theisen about keeping passes up high. "Teams have a hard time stopping our penetration since we are a quick and athletic team. When their center slides over to help out, we give Zack the ball at the right time."

Along with Peterson, who averages nearly 12 points per game,

sambini
03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry Lakes but Mr B is the inside man at NDSU hoops.

Mr._Burgundy
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
The kid from Osseo is huge. No question. Working on foot speed. He is only a junior and was here for the SDSU game. I am doubting an offer has been made at this point to that class.

ccrider
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM

I don't know about that. *The kid has height for sure, but just doesn't have the skills or agressiveness for a DI center. *I guess I am no expert at judging talent, but from watching Qvale in HS I think he would have been a big project. *Probably 2-3 yr before he could contribute consistently IMO. *I guess we'll see how he does for the Grizz.

If the kid looked like a DI center in high school, do you think he would be going to Mont., or NDSU? Guys that look like DI players in high school tend to go to the next level. He would've been solid at NDSU..2-3 years from now (as a soph.), he will have gained 40 pounds, shaved for the first time, and be making an impact for the Grizz.

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 04:16 PM
sambini.. well.. the name is out there.. i can get scoops sometime too.

MR B is the man yes.

hey Notorious, big game vs REGIS today, you going up there?? Oh man, that sounds like fun times.

dam. Ill be at state HS championships.

TheDoctor
03-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry Lakes but Mr B is the inside man at NDSU hoops.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheDoctor
03-10-2007, 05:23 PM

I don't know about that. *The kid has height for sure, but just doesn't have the skills or agressiveness for a DI center. *I guess I am no expert at judging talent, but from watching Qvale in HS I think he would have been a big project. *Probably 2-3 yr before he could contribute consistently IMO. *I guess we'll see how he does for the Grizz.

If the kid looked like a DI center in high school, do you think he would be going to Mont., or NDSU? *Guys that look like DI players in high school tend to go to the next level. *He would've been solid at NDSU..2-3 years from now (as a soph.), he will have gained 40 pounds, shaved for the first time, and be making an impact for the Grizz.

The next level? We are the NEXT. Any D1 prospect who has played North Dakota high school bball in the last 15 years (outside of Jeff Boschee) would be lucky to be playing at the level NDSU will be in the Mid Con next year.

Gamehunter
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't know about that. The kid has height for sure, but just doesn't have the skills or agressiveness for a DI center. I guess I am no expert at judging talent, but from watching Qvale in HS I think he would have been a big project. Probably 2-3 yr before he could contribute consistently IMO. I guess we'll see how he does for the Grizz.

If the kid looked like a DI center in high school, do you think he would be going to Mont., or NDSU? Guys that look like DI players in high school tend to go to the next level. He would've been solid at NDSU..2-3 years from now (as a soph.), he will have gained 40 pounds, shaved for the first time, and be making an impact for the Grizz.

Like I said, I am no recruiting expert. I have just seen Qvale play several times, and at times during a game it seems as though he disappears...strange for a 6'11' guy. If he gains 40 lbs and adds some aggressiveness under the basket he can be very good, but like I was saying, that is a project guy and would need 2-3 yrs to develope at the DI level IMO. I'm sure he will do really well in the Big Sky though.

D
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Like I said, I am no recruiting expert. *I have just seen Qvale play several times, and at times during a game it seems as though he disappears...strange for a 6'11' guy. *If he gains 40 lbs and adds some aggressiveness under the basket he can be very good, but like I was saying, that is a project guy and would need 2-3 yrs to develope at the DI level IMO. *I'm sure he will do really well in the Big Sky *though.

This pimping of Zach Petersen by some is ridiculous. Qvale is easily a better prospect then he is, and Qvale's game can be described as passive. Petersen has a very sloppy body, weighs over 300 (needs to lose at least 50 pounds), lacks athleticism, and moves about how you'd expect someone with his measurables to.....not very good at all. Think former Gopher Jeff Hagen, except Hagen had very good touch, good awareness, and moved well for his size. Peteresen blocks shots, but it has nothing to do with good timing/anticipation.

His numbers for the first half of the year were not very good at all, putting up about 7 a game. Give him credit for stepping up some and improving those numbers, but he is a project at best. Given NDSU's scholarship situation, they cannot afford to use the 1 scholarship they may or may not even have on an out of shape project who may contribute after spending 3 years on campus. It's not like he is an instant impact guy, to say the least. If NDSU were to offer him, Bison fans should be disappointed. Qvale is much more advanced than Petersen is, and actually has a body that translates into a basketball player instead of a hotdog eating contestant.

sambini
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
sambini.. well.. the name is out there.. i can get scoops sometime too.

MR B is the man yes.

hey Notorious, *big game vs REGIS today, you going up there?? *Oh man, that sounds like fun times.

dam. Ill be at state HS championships.
Lakes who is REGIS playing today?

Mr._Burgundy
03-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Nobody is pimping the kid from Osseo. He is huge. You can't teach size. Qvale is flat out the best big man in many years in ND and unfortunately, he chose to go to a different school....which is farther away from home than Fargo is.

WePharm
03-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks Bisonhusker for the update on Mr. Hennesey. Sorry, I was gone and missed the posts. If a North Dakota kid can come in and help Coach Miles program it's a win win. We get a kid that is homegrown & people like that. It creates extra buzz & interest in the program. After further thought adding James Hennesey may be a brilliant move on Coach Miles's part for this reason. Brent Qvale is very good friends with a kid from Glendive Mt. by the name of Selvig. Selvig is 6'10". I believe Glendive played and beat Williston at the start of the season. They are both going to Montana. What if......???? The old conspiracy wheels area really whirlling now!!

Yup you heard it here first. November 26, 2009 7:03PM Fargo ND BSA: NDSU announcer: "For THE BISON starting at forward 6'11" from Williston..........!!!!!!!!

Hey we got the 7 footer playing center will let the little guy play forward!

scottheck
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
SAMBINI!!! *CMON MAN!!!

Zack Peterson Osseo Minnesota 7 ft.

Junior, big time shot blocker, (obviously) *averages only 12 pts,

http://www.pressnews.com/articles/2007/03/07/other_sports/omgboysbb.txt

Coach Theisen credits one reason for improvement involving the better use of junior Zack Peterson, a 7-foot center who transferred from Park Center.

"We started to learn how to give Zack the ball at a better spot," said Theisen about keeping passes up high. "Teams have a hard time stopping our penetration since we are a quick and athletic team. When their center slides over to help out, we give Zack the ball at the right time."

Along with Peterson, who averages nearly 12 points per game,

Saw him play in the holiday tournament here in Rochester. *Was not particularly impressed: needs conditioning and to lose weight. *I sent impressions and scouting thoughts of some of the players to the coaching staff and didn't include him. *I think he's a little short of 7'.

Bryan
03-11-2007, 05:20 AM
I saw Osseo play today against Cooper and Super Soph Rodney Williams and while Zack is definately big, he is still out of shape and has about a 5 inch vertical. If he ever committed himself to getting into top shape and worked on his jumper a little, he would be an attractive prospect, but right now he isn't close. However, NDSU is recruiting another Osseo junior, guard Carrington Tankson. http://osseobasketball.com/varsity_roster.php

SirHinn
03-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks Bisonhusker for the update on Mr. Hennesey. Sorry, I was gone and missed the posts. If a North Dakota kid can come in and help Coach Miles program it's a win win. We get a kid that is homegrown & people like that. It creates extra buzz & interest in the program. After further thought adding James Hennesey may be a brilliant move on Coach Miles's part for this reason. Brent Qvale is very good friends with a kid from Glendive Mt. by the name of Selvig. Selvig is 6'10". I believe Glendive played and beat Williston at the start of the season. They are both going to Montana. What if......???? The old conspiracy wheels area really whirlling now!!

Yup you heard it here first. November 26, 2009 7:03PM Fargo ND BSA: NDSU announcer: "For THE BISON starting at forward 6'11" from Williston..........!!!!!!!!

Hey we got the 7 footer playing center will let the little guy play forward!

Care to make a wager on the Bison starting the big man from Williston? I'm willing to bet big money that this never happens. This whole getting kids from North Dakota and people like it is just plain silly now. People don't care where the players come from, as long as the Bison team is successful that will create enough buzz in itself. In the end people like a successful program, not where the players came from.

ccrider
03-11-2007, 02:17 PM

If the kid looked like a DI center in high school, do you think he would be going to Mont., or NDSU? *Guys that look like DI players in high school tend to go to the next level. *He would've been solid at NDSU..2-3 years from now (as a soph.), he will have gained 40 pounds, shaved for the first time, and be making an impact for the Grizz.

The next level? *We are the NEXT. *Any D1 prospect who has played North Dakota high school bball in the last 15 years (outside of Jeff Boschee) would be lucky to be playing at the level NDSU will be in the Mid Con next year. *

With all due respect, I totally disagree. If a 6'11 kid was already developed in high school, and was not considered a bit of a project, he would go to the next level....(i.e. a major like UNC, Duke, Kansan, etc.). At this time, I do not think we are going to get a 6"11 plus type of kid that isn't somewhat of a project. I just beleive a kid with that height that is already developed is going to have offers from 20+ majors. Many on this board think Qvale is a 2-3 year project.....if you think about that, he is the ideal prospect for us.....he would be a soph. and be ready to be a force for us. It is too bad we didn't get him. Rumor has it, we wanted him badly.

WePharm
03-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Right now we need: size, size, size, size, size size, size, size, size,size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size,size, size, size, size,size, size,size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size
size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size, size.

Oh! and did I mention size? Got smarts?-check, got quickness?-check, got shooters?-check, got defense?-check, got heart?-check and double check, got size? no check

WePharm
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I know Tim was really trying to get Brent Qvale. He would have been great for SU. But being from his neck of the woods I wish him and his family all the best. They're good people.

Can't emphasize the importance of maintaining a "North Dakota" identity on our Bison teams. I totally disagree with those that would dismiss it's importance. Of course, go after the best player you can that fits your program, but IF, IF a North Dakota kid can come in and play and contribute AT THE D1 LEVEL that coach Miles wants, go after him. Papers in his home town will cover him, interest in our programs will be maintained and grow. Buzz will be created. More people from out of town will drive the 200-300-400 miles to attend games. Kids will grow up wanting to play for the BISON. Dollars will flow, cancer will be wiped out, world peace, the Cubs win the world series, I could go on. In fact it's not just a win-win its a win squared!!!

SirHinn
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I know Tim was really trying to get Brent Qvale. He would have been great for SU. But being from his neck of the woods I wish him and his family all the best. They're good people.

Can't emphasize the importance of maintaining a "North Dakota" identity on our Bison teams. I totally disagree with those that would dismiss it's importance. Of course, go after the best player you can that fits your program, but IF, IF a North Dakota kid can come in and play and contribute AT THE D1 LEVEL that coach Miles wants, go after him. Papers in his home town will cover him, interest in our programs will be maintained and grow. Buzz will be created. More people from out of town will drive the 200-300-400 miles to attend games. Kids will grow up wanting to play for the BISON. Dollars will *flow, cancer will be wiped out, world peace, the Cubs win the world series, I could go on. In fact it's not just a win-win its a win squared!!!

You know what creates more buzz? How about winning the Mid Con and getting an invite to the dance? How about getting fans in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other states where the publicity will be national. Getting people like P.A. and Dubay talking about ya. How about getting seen on ESPN and CBS for huge upsets year after year. It'd be great if North Dakota had the d-1 talent but clearly after watching the state tournament one could see that there just isn't a lot of d-1 caliber talent in North Dakota basketball. I'm just glad Tim Miles doesn't think like you do otherwise NDSU never gets Woody, Nelson, Winks or anyother big time talented player outside of North Dakota.

TaTonka_31
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't think anyone would disagree with you WePharm.

Where the controversy would be is who would constitute a D1 prospect. In most cases, a first team all-state player in North Dakota would be different than a first teamer from our recruiting areas of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Demographics just make it so.

Of course, you would always look at the ND kids first and make sure you get the best kid every year in you home state if it is justified.

WePharm
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I believe I've prefaced my last posts with a capital IF. No question the number of in state players will be a substantial minority. Simple demographics dictates that. Coach Miles will recruit who he can from where he can for the positions that he needs.

Not too many years ago Northern out of Aberdeen was cleaning the clock of all the NCC schools. Don't remember the coaches name. They had a number of kids out of? North Dakota. An Undelin kid out of Mohall was one I believe. Plus several more. I really wonder wether und or NDSU gave those kids a sniff. Now i realize those were the D11 players but it happens.

After saying that I have a lot of confidence in coach Miles finding what he needs.

Gamehunter
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM

The next level? We are the NEXT. Any D1 prospect who has played North Dakota high school bball in the last 15 years (outside of Jeff Boschee) would be lucky to be playing at the level NDSU will be in the Mid Con next year.

With all due respect, I totally disagree. If a 6'11 kid was already developed in high school, and was not considered a bit of a project, he would go to the next level....(i.e. a major like UNC, Duke, Kansan, etc.). At this time, I do not think we are going to get a 6"11 plus type of kid that isn't somewhat of a project. I just beleive a kid with that height that is already developed is going to have offers from 20+ majors. Many on this board think Qvale is a 2-3 year project.....if you think about that, he is the ideal prospect for us.....he would be a soph. and be ready to be a force for us. It is too bad we didn't get him. Rumor has it, we wanted him badly.

This is the truth. We probably arn't going to be getting a Kevin Durant or Greg Oden in the next year or 50, and Qvale would have eventually turned into a good contributor even if it was just defensively. I havn't seen Hennessey play since high school but it sounds like he would be a good sign for the Bison. Someone to step in and give quality minutes for Woodside at PG would help out alot especially when we get to the Mid Con touneys and have to play games on back to back days.

Mr._Burgundy
03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Bottom line: If there is a kid that lives in ND and is good enough to be a Bison, he will be recruited. I think everyone is actually in agreement in this debate. Just to be clear, NDSU did EVERYTHING they could to get Qvale here. He simply chose another school. This is the same as what Bohl has repeatedly stated: He recruits ND first and gets what he can. Unfortunately, there just aren't alot of kids in ND that can play at this level...fortunately, we still recruit the region. Do we care if a kid is from Morris or Williston? Most of the parents come to Fargo for every game, so we must be getting kids from the right spots.

SirHinn
03-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Bottom line: If there is a kid that lives in ND and is good enough to be a Bison, he will be recruited. *I think everyone is actually in agreement in this debate. *Just to be clear, NDSU did EVERYTHING they could to get Qvale here. *He simply chose another school. *This is the same as what Bohl has repeatedly stated: He recruits ND first and gets what he can. *Unfortunately, there just aren't alot of kids in ND that can play at this level...fortunately, we still recruit the region. *Do we care if a kid is from Morris or Williston? *Most of the parents come to Fargo for every game, so we must be getting kids from the right spots.

Good post Mr. Burgundy! Couldn't agree more with what you stated. There is a reason why there just aren't as many North Dakotans playing sports for NDSU. If the talent is there, they will recruit it. If its not you obviously must look at other places if you wish to be as competitive as the Bison wish to be.

BisonMav
03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
3 underclassmen from the Class B that could develope are Jr's Young Bird from Parshall, Mauch from Hankinson and So. Mike Smith from North Border. All three are in the 6'4" - 6'5" range. They aren't 6'10", hopefully the Bison can get some size for next year. These were 3 that I liked from the Tourney.

NDSUstudent
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
3 underclassmen from the Class B that could develope are Jr's Young Bird from Parshall, Mauch from Hankinson and So. Mike Smith from North Border. * All three are in the 6'4" - 6'5" range. *They aren't 6'10", hopefully the Bison can get some size for next year. *These were 3 that I liked from the Tourney.

I heard that Mauch might play football for the herd, he was first team all state as receiver.

BisonMav
03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
I heard that Mauch might play football for the herd, he was first team all state as receiver.

He's very athletic, some nice slams in the tourney.

tophatfan
03-19-2007, 02:11 AM
anybody have any info on the 6' 10" Matheson from North Border. He looked ok at times in the B he was under used in my opinion. He obviouslly needs some work but like everybody had said you can't teach size.

BisonMav
03-19-2007, 02:44 AM
anybody have any info on the 6' 10" Matheson from North Border. *He looked ok at times in the B he was under used in my opinion. *He obviouslly needs some work but like everybody had said you can't teach size.

I got slammed pretty bad when I brought his name up earlier this year. *He was 6'7" as a JV player last year and grew to 6'10" this year. *Late bloomer.

Here's a couple recent articles.

Grand Forks Herald (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=31014&section=Sports)

Tall Order
Greg DeVillers - Grand Forks Herald

BISMARCK - Michael Mathison is used to going home after basketball games with a sore back from all the pushing and shoving he takes. It's the price he pays for standing 6 feet, 10 inches in height.

But Thursday, he had a new source for the discomfort.
“Tonight, they had their heads down and I could feel them ramming into my back,” the North Border senior said. “But I'm sort of used to stuff like that.”

Bismarck Tribune (http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/17/news/sports/local/130482.txt)
Making a name for himself
By CINDY PETERSON Bismarck Tribune

The door to the hotel room was decorated with art work that showed support for the North Border boys basketball team.

A sign was made for each player who occupied the room - Nick Chaput, Byron Shablow and "Big Mike."That's what North Border's 6-foot-10, 255 pound center Michael Mathison is simply known as - "Big Mike."The senior from Walhalla made a splash during Thursday's quarterfinal round of the Class B state tournament with 15 points and 15 rebounds in a victory over Shiloh Christian. In a semifinal loss to Parshall, Mathison had 17 points and 10 rebounds.

Coach_W
03-19-2007, 03:01 AM
anybody have any info on the 6' 10" Matheson from North Border. He looked ok at times in the B he was under used in my opinion. He obviouslly needs some work but like everybody had said you can't teach size.

He couldn't play at SU/UND/Mayville St. or Lake Region. 6'10 is it!!! Can't play beyond high school, no way

SirHinn
03-19-2007, 04:12 AM
anybody have any info on the 6' 10" Matheson from North Border. *He looked ok at times in the B he was under used in my opinion. *He obviouslly needs some work but like everybody had said you can't teach size.

He couldn't play at SU/UND/Mayville St. or Lake Region. * *6'10 is it!!! *Can't play beyond high school, no way

Couldn't agree more! He's a poor poor man's version of Kyle Nelson from MayPortCG/ Adam Holte from a couple of years back. Very soft and not much of an offensive game. Defensively he's well... very big against smaller players. Not sure how he would fair against someone his own height.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-19-2007, 04:27 AM

He is a 3 year project at very best

Jdubs21
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
i'd save our scholly on matheson from NB, watched all 3 games of his and there is no way he would be NDSU material...maybe by his senior year he might be like an 8th or 9th man....he better just play football or basketball at a valley city or mayville state...he prolly is a great kid, just not the right suit for ndsu

BisonMav
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
i'd save our scholly on matheson from NB, watched all 3 games of his and there is no way he would be NDSU material...maybe by his senior year he might be like an 8th or 9th man....he better just play football or basketball at a valley city or mayville state...he prolly is a great kid, just not the right suit for ndsu

I don't know if the naysayers read all the links or not, but he has been 6'10" for one high school basketball season. If he goes the JC route, NDSU does not need to use a scholarship. If he developes at a JC and the Bison coaches think he's a fit, then fine. Like his high school coach said, if he is around someone that knows more than he did about developing his talents, you never know. If he doesn't develope, then there is no loss to anyone.

Jdubs21, he is a good kid, lots of enthusiasm. Basketball isn't his only talent, he is well rounded. He'll be fine with or without basketball.

His teammate Paul Meyer, 6'4" is going to JC at NDSSS for football. Would be nice to see him as a Bison in 3 years.

BisonMav
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
There is talk on the ND Preps board that Adam Hunt of Dunseith is going to walk-on at Minnesota. Anyone have any info on him?

Jdubs21
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah but at the division 1 level u cant really give a scholly to someone that MAYBE in 3 years he MIGHT develop into player.....because if he doesnt produce that one scholarship that woulda went to someone who was a better player really takes its toll, depth is what u need in division 1 and i think your young team is proof of that....look at all our close losses, alot of it was due to depth, we had a strong starting 5 but even they get tired and need bench players to give quality minutes....but like i said b4 its not that i dont think the kid couldnt play college somewhere or isnt a great kid....he just is not and will not be division 1 material...atleast not at the level we are at and are trying to get too

BisonMav
03-19-2007, 05:53 PM
yeah but at the division 1 level u cant really give a scholly to someone that MAYBE in 3 years he MIGHT develop into player.....because if he doesnt produce that one scholarship that woulda went to someone who was a better player really takes its toll, depth is what u need in division 1 and i think your young team is proof of that....look at all our close losses, alot of it was due to depth, we had a strong starting 5 but even they get tired and need bench players to give quality minutes....but like i said b4 its not that i dont think the kid couldnt play college somewhere or isnt a great kid....he just is not and will not be division 1 material...atleast not at the level we are at and are trying to get too

That's why in my post, I mentioned the JC=Junior College route.

bisonhusker
03-19-2007, 08:34 PM
NDSU will add more walk ons in future years. Too many isn't a good thing either. Hopefully a few kids who are borderline will walk on and earn their keep.

ndsubison1
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
That would be huge if Hennessey signed with the Bison. I remember watching him back when he played in h-s. He was phenominal, he would be a great back-up to Woodside, maybe even a possible starter. Great shooter, great handles, and can see the floor very well. Gonzaga asked him to walk on after his senior year.

ndsubison1
03-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Young Bird is not even good enough for d-2, no chance of him being a bison. For 2008 the only recruits that NDSU may look at are BJ Mertens of Devils Lake (still may be a little iffy), Tanner Farkas of West Fargo, Jordan May of North (he may be a little iffy too) and Zach Elgie of Minot, but Elgie will most likely play baseball, he'll go somewhere big... pre-season all-american for 2 years now and most likely will be 3 for next year.

sambini
03-30-2007, 05:04 AM
That would be huge if Hennessey signed with the Bison. *I remember watching him back when he played in h-s. *He was phenominal, he would be a great back-up to Woodside, maybe even a possible starter. *Great shooter, great handles, and can see the floor very well. *Gonzaga asked him to walk on after his senior year.
I thought some one on this board said Hennessey is going to Montana State? BisonHusker could you led some light on this?

Flintstone
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Young Bird is not even good enough for d-2, no chance of him being a bison. *For 2008 the only recruits that NDSU may look at are BJ Mertens of Devils Lake (still may be a little iffy), Tanner Farkas of West Fargo, Jordan May of North (he may be a little iffy too) and Zach Elgie of Minot, but Elgie will most likely play baseball, he'll go somewhere big... pre-season all-american for 2 years now and most likely will be 3 for next year.

I would bet that Dufault form Killdeer will be one of the top in-state priorities next year.

SirHinn
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Young Bird is not even good enough for d-2, no chance of him being a bison. *For 2008 the only recruits that NDSU may look at are BJ Mertens of Devils Lake (still may be a little iffy), Tanner Farkas of West Fargo, Jordan May of North (he may be a little iffy too) and Zach Elgie of Minot, but Elgie will most likely play baseball, he'll go somewhere big... pre-season all-american for 2 years now and most likely will be 3 for next year.

Miles was trying to convince May to walk on his intial first year since they won't have any scholarships for him. Then after the Super Seniors are gone, they'll give him one of the potential 6 scholarhsips available. The tough part is just being able to convince a player to do that, but if your May you would almost have to jump at that opportunity. Atleast you think he would have to.

bisonhusker
03-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Hennessey did chose to go to Montana State. Apparently with everything up in the air at NDSU, he wanted to just make the decision and not wait. Too bad, he would have been a nice addition.

TheDoctor
03-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Miles was trying to convince May to walk on his intial first year since they won't have any scholarships for him. *Then after the Super Seniors are gone, they'll give him one of the potential 6 scholarhsips available. *The tough part is just being able to convince a player to do that, but if your May you would almost have to jump at that opportunity. *Atleast you think he would have to.

Lee Melchioni did just this at Duke (while he could have accepted a scholarship at 3/4 of the D1 schools in the nation) and he ended up having a pretty decent career. So, Jordan signs at Jmst or VC and plays NAIA ball right away or he walks on at NDSU and goes to the Big Dance in two years and is scholarship in 3. Hmmmmmmm.... Sounds like a no brainer to me.

SirHinn
03-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Miles was trying to convince May to walk on his intial first year since they won't have any scholarships for him. *Then after the Super Seniors are gone, they'll give him one of the potential 6 scholarhsips available. *The tough part is just being able to convince a player to do that, but if your May you would almost have to jump at that opportunity. *Atleast you think he would have to.

Lee Melchioni did just this at Duke (while he could have accepted a scholarship at 3/4 of the D1 schools in the nation) and he ended up having a pretty decent career. *So, Jordan signs at Jmst or VC and plays NAIA ball right away or he walks on at NDSU and goes to the Big Dance in two years and is scholarship in 3. *Hmmmmmmm.... *Sounds like a no brainer to me. *
He'll garner more interest then NAIA ball as long as he keeps playing well in AAU ball this summer. The key for the bison though is to land a point guard since they definately don't have Woody's replacement yet. I also can't see Mertens being a legit D-1 prospect. When I watched him play he was too undersized to play the 2 and doesn't have the ball skills to play the 1.

sambini
04-01-2007, 03:38 AM
What about Travis Mertens at Lake Region?

Coach_W
04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

He has one year left at Lake Region but he could definitely be one to keep an eye on. 3 pt. shot needs to improve to be a 3 at the DI level.

Hennessy to Montana St.; he'll struggle to play there in my opinion. Just doesn't shoot the ball well enough and guarding 1's at the DI level, even in the Big Sky, could be a problem.

sambini
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the insight Coach W+++

ndsubison1
04-02-2007, 02:48 AM

I would bet that Dufault form Killdeer will be one of the top in-state priorities next year. *

oh yeah i forgot about him... dufault may be pursued by the bison

Bisongold
04-02-2007, 03:30 AM
I heard lDufault is a 6'7 guard. His dad played ball at Valley City. Is this the right guy?

TaTonka_31
04-02-2007, 04:06 AM

He has one year left at Lake Region but he could definitely be one to keep an eye on. *3 pt. shot needs to improve to be a 3 at the DI level.

Hennessy to Montana St.; he'll struggle to play there in my opinion. *Just doesn't shoot the ball well enough and guarding 1's at the DI level, even in the Big Sky, could be a problem.

If that is the case with Hennessy, why did NDSU offer him? We certainly don't need a D2 quality guard.

It may be difficult to bring in a quality juco guard considering the amount of minutes available to him for the next two years. Lets face it, if a juco is of D1 quality, he will want minutes.

ndbisonfan
04-02-2007, 04:18 AM

I am curious why Miles would be giving you information like that... You must have a pretty good relationship with Coach Miles :) I would get your facts right before you post anything next time. Coach Miles couldn't talk to Juniors only Seniors and if he did then he violated NCAA rules which he wouldn't have done.

SirHinn
04-02-2007, 05:33 AM

I am curious why Miles would be giving you information like that... *You must have a pretty good relationship with Coach Miles :) I would get your facts right before you post anything next time. *Coach Miles couldn't talk to Juniors only Seniors and if he did then he violated NCAA rules which he wouldn't have done.

Actually it's not a violation if its hearsay because the best part about hearsay is you can't prove anything. You also need to read the NCAA Bylaws. Clearly if you did, you would see a coach can contact a player while they are juniors. Don't know if your caught up with technology yet, but the NCAA doesn't recognize text messaging as a violation for contacting players.

NCAA Bylaw 13.4.1 apply [i.e., correspondence may not be sent until September 1 of the junior year (all sports other than men's basketball), June 15 at the conclusion of the sophomore year (men's basketball)].

NCAA Bylaw 13.4.1.2 states that electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) may be sent to a prospect. Color attachments may be included with electronic mail correspondence sent to a prospect, provided the attachment does not include any animation, audio or video clips and there is no cost (e.g., subscription fee) associated with sending the item attached to the electronic mail correspondence.

There is not a limit on how many times a coach can send an instant message to a prospect because this type of communication is NOT considered a phone call.

NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14 states that all electronically transmitted human voice exchange (including videoconferencing and videophones) shall be considered telephone calls. All electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) shall NOT be considered telephone calls.

bisonhusker
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Hennessey was good enough to play for NDSU. Plenty of coaches will tell you that. he really improved in his one year of college ball, plus took a redshirt....alot of practice time.

ndbisonfan
04-03-2007, 02:32 AM

I am curious why Miles would be giving you information like that... *You must have a pretty good relationship with Coach Miles :) I would get your facts right before you post anything next time. *Coach Miles couldn't talk to Juniors only Seniors and if he did then he violated NCAA rules which he wouldn't have done.

Actually it's not a violation if its hearsay because the best part about hearsay is you can't prove anything. *You also need to read the NCAA Bylaws. *Clearly if you did, you would see a coach can contact a player while they are juniors. *Don't know if your caught up with technology yet, but the NCAA doesn't recognize text messaging as a violation for contacting players.

NCAA Bylaw 13.4.1 apply [i.e., correspondence may not be sent until September 1 of the junior year (all sports other than men's basketball), June 15 at the conclusion of the sophomore year (men's basketball)].

NCAA Bylaw 13.4.1.2 states that electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) may be sent to a prospect. *Color attachments may be included with electronic mail correspondence sent to a prospect, provided the attachment does not include any animation, audio or video clips and there is no cost (e.g., subscription fee) associated with sending the item attached to the electronic mail correspondence.

There is not a limit on how many times a coach can send an instant message to a prospect because this type of communication is NOT considered a phone call. *

NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14 states that all electronically transmitted human voice exchange (including videoconferencing and videophones) shall be considered telephone calls. *All electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) shall NOT be considered telephone calls.

Nice job looking up all the NCAA Bylaws and copied them and pasted them :-* You really must know Jordan May really well to know what txt messages he is receiving from other coaches... I am just not sure you really are telling the truth and I really think you are just saying these things to make yourself feel better. You can state all the Bylaws you want but that doesn't mean Miles contacted May...

SirHinn
04-03-2007, 03:02 AM

Actually it's not a violation if its hearsay because the best part about hearsay is you can't prove anything. *You also need to read the NCAA Bylaws. *Clearly if you did, you would see a coach can contact a player while they are juniors. *Don't know if your caught up with technology yet, but the NCAA doesn't recognize text messaging as a violation for contacting players.

NCAA Bylaw 13.4.1.2 states that electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) may be sent to a prospect. *Color attachments may be included with electronic mail correspondence sent to a prospect, provided the attachment does not include any animation, audio or video clips and there is no cost (e.g., subscription fee) associated with sending the item attached to the electronic mail correspondence.

There is not a limit on how many times a coach can send an instant message to a prospect because this type of communication is NOT considered a phone call. *

NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14 states that all electronically transmitted human voice exchange (including videoconferencing and videophones) shall be considered telephone calls. *All electronically transmitted correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, pages, text messaging) shall NOT be considered telephone calls.

Nice job looking up all the NCAA Bylaws and copied them and pasted them :-* You really must know Jordan May really well to know what txt messages he is receiving from other coaches... *I am just not sure you really are telling the truth and I really think you are just saying these things to make yourself feel better. *You can state all the Bylaws you want but that doesn't mean Miles contacted May...

Yes, its really difficult knowing a stduent from my former school. It's also very difficult to simply communicate with his coaches who also went to the same school. Believe it or not some people actually have connections that you may not have and some people also know things you don't know. You were the one who came in here and said that coaches can't communicate with players until they were seniors, clearly it shows how much you know about college sports to come to such a conclusion. Before you come in here and tell me inaccurate facts about what coaches can do and who I happen to know, get your facts straight. So if you don't mind, some of us would actually like to talk about bison recruiting.

DenverBison05
04-03-2007, 03:05 AM

Nice job looking up all the NCAA Bylaws and copied them and pasted them :-* You really must know Jordan May really well to know what txt messages he is receiving from other coaches... *I am just not sure you really are telling the truth and I really think you are just saying these things to make yourself feel better. *You can state all the Bylaws you want but that doesn't mean Miles contacted May...

Yes, its really difficult knowing a stduent from my former school. *It's also very difficult to simply communicate with his coaches who also went to the same school. *Believe it or not some people actually have connections that you may not have and some people also know things you don't know. *You were the one who came in here and said that coaches can't communicate with players until they were seniors, clearly it shows how much you know about college sports to come to such a conclusion. *Before you come in here and tell me inaccurate facts about what coaches can do and who I happen to know, get your facts straight. *So if you don't mind, some of us would actually like to talk about bison recruiting.

+++++++++

ndbisonfan
04-03-2007, 03:55 AM

Yes, its really difficult knowing a stduent from my former school. *It's also very difficult to simply communicate with his coaches who also went to the same school. *Believe it or not some people actually have connections that you may not have and some people also know things you don't know. *You were the one who came in here and said that coaches can't communicate with players until they were seniors, clearly it shows how much you know about college sports to come to such a conclusion. *Before you come in here and tell me inaccurate facts about what coaches can do and who I happen to know, get your facts straight. *So if you don't mind, some of us would actually like to talk about bison recruiting.

by the way if you are talking bison recruiting with Sirhinn I would really second quess his facts and where he is getting his sources... I really thought we were discussing Bison recruiting!!! Really though... Just get your facts straight and stick to things you really know. I know you will want to get the last word in so I will let you have that opportunity. It was great discussing this topic with you.. Seriously, this is why people don't take this website seriously because of people like you who say things that are false. ;D

WePharm
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Austin Dufalt from Killdeer, will be getting more attention as he gets to his senior year. He's 6'7"guard-forward. Has a lot of potential. He's quick, good ball handler, has a good 3 pt shot, and can go inside. Will definately be a 'Mr. Basketball' candidate. His dad is the coach, so Austin knows the game pretty well. Averaged around 20 pts a game so he can put the ball in the hoop. Versatile, could play at the 2 or 3. He could grow another inch or two. Put some muscle on him he could be a 4. I believe previous threads have mentioned that NDSU is interested in him. Heard second hand that he was at the Kansas State game-don't know that for sure.

imabison
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
I just happened to hear this today on ESPN before the Kentucky Press Conference. They were having a discussion about Lettors of Intent.

They stated that if a School does not RELEASE the student, and the student chooses to go to another school, that athlete must sit out 1 year before being elligible to play for another school.

EagleBison
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I got slammed pretty bad when I brought his name up earlier this year. *He was 6'7"; as a JV player last year and grew to 6'10" this year. *Late bloomer.

Looks like Mathison will walkon at UND. Wish him the best, even though he's going to the bad guys ;)

Mathison LINK (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=38198ýion=Sports)

In addition, North Border (N.D.) High School center Mike Mathison has announced that he will walk on at UND. The 6-foot-10 center averaged 13.1 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks last season for North Border.

“He's come such a long way in the last two years,” North Border coach Cooter Symington said.

SirHinn
07-17-2007, 05:33 AM
I would bet that Dufault form Killdeer will be one of the top in-state priorities next year. *

oh yeah i forgot about him... dufault may be pursued by the bison[/QUOTE]

Nice find back then. WDAY reported tonite that they have indeed extended him a scholarship offer after an impressive summer showing so far. They also said some d2 schools are interested as well as some ivy league schools.

Greenie
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Evansville (from Missouri Valley) and Rice (C-USA) also have offered so far. He might decide after this weekend's AAU tourney in Louisville.

RedRiver
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I understood that Dufault got alot of phone calls after his play in the recent Louisville tournament and that now he wants to wait until after this week's Las Vegas tourney before he makes a decision. There may be more options for him after playing in Vegas, his Dad thought he wouldn't make any decision about the NDSU offer until next week at the earliest.

Swat_Team10
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Is there anyword if the Bison are looking at big men for this class yet. Does the new assistant coaches coming in have any connections to a Junior College or Prep School prospect?

lakesbison
07-24-2007, 06:08 AM
I would HOPE SO!

really really really quiet on the BIG MAN FRONT!!

Sam S will be balling this year!!

Swat_Team10
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Lakes...from reading all the past replies....you and many others...have been begging for a big man. I am in that same thoughts with you. I am sorry if I show little faith in Sam. A player that played very very very sparingly I do think he will be good for the Bison...just thats it. Him and Moormann? I would think that the staff would want another person to play inside and help what they already have in place.

TheDoctor
07-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Sammy S has certainly buked up a bit in the off season! ;)

lakesbison
07-25-2007, 04:41 AM
at the BRECK BISON GOLF OPEN, I was told SAM S will be the biggest surprise this upcoming year, along with Eric Carlson.

sambini
07-25-2007, 05:49 AM
hAVE A GOOD SEASON SAM+++

Swat_Team10
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
I would hope that one of those guys steps in...we are all counting on it!

OnTheFifty
07-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Southwest State.....

Apparently he might want to stay close to home bad??

lakesbison
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
NOPE NOPE NOPE

SCHILLING=UNI, NDSU, SDSU in that order. take it to the bank.

sambini
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Lakes you are the man+++

OnTheFifty
07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Ok Lakes....

Yes, I agree that is the common consensus on the street.

But I am not one to make something like that up without hearing it from a source.

But, I guess your sources\guesses are better then mine??

TheDoctor
08-01-2007, 04:26 AM
No offense but you have not developed a repution yet on this board (which I am sure you will start doing with this post and future source posts). So, once your sources start producing, I will take you at your word. make sense?? ;)

OnTheFifty
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
No offense taken. Not trying to build a reputation, or stir things up. Just trying to post what I have heard that Schililng may be leaning toward going small (D2) rather then Mid\Hgh major.

As far as my sources. For what it is worth, my sources were correct with Paul Backowski (Football) from Colorado considering NDSU. Not sure if that constitutes "Producing".

Anyways...

Swat_Team10
08-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I have heard the same rumors that he wants to stay close to home...I spoke with a Auggie Coach recently and former Bison Coach, Tom Billiter seems to think they have a shot.

I understand Lakes may have some "in the know" ties there....BUT has UNI even offerd the kid? From what I saw at the State tourney is that he is a heck of a player for small school ball. But the MO VAlley appears to be a reach. But with that being said I can see why the Bison staff would want him. Could be a steal and under rated...just like Winkelman, Woodside, etc.

TheDoctor
08-04-2007, 05:22 AM
If you believe half of what Lakes says.....your over estimating him. ;)