PDA

View Full Version : Fargo Forum: NDSU to Name Phillips Head Coach

IowaBison
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
no bullshit this time :)

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=160805

BisonMav
03-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Congrats Saul, look forward to having you as Bison Coach.

Media Blog (http://areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

Go_Herd
03-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice find. This is great news for Mr. Phillips and NDSU.

Coach_W
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
He'll do a great job. Which assistants stay? :-/

WYOBISONMAN
03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I am glad to see it! I am sure he will do a great job and get the Bison where they need to be for year 1 of post season play!!

heymch86
03-26-2007, 05:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2812900

NDSUstudent
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I think this is a great decision, Saul has a lot of potential and it also keeps everything in place.

meanGreen
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
This is how great of a guy Saul is: I just sent him a text congratulating him on the hire. Not more than 30 seconds later he sent one back. Thats says alot about the guy right there - his is one of the busiest and probably one of the most important days of his live and he takes the time to reply to a text message - Hes a stand up guy.

JackJD
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
From what I hear, good selection. I understand he has the support of the players. Your AD continues to show some smarts by making a prompt decision which is a sign of confidence and there'll be little or no gap in the recruiting effort.

I wish the Bison the best EXCEPT when meeting the Jackrabbits (you would expect nothing less!).

tony
03-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Congrats to Coach Phillips!

My advice: Always say "No comment" when somebody asks you about other jobs :)

Mr_Meanor
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Anyone know the details of the contract? Salary, years, bonuses? Just wondering what the Univsersity was offering him

TheDoctor
03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Congrats to Coach Phillips!

My advice: Always say "No comment" when somebody asks you about other jobs :)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NDSUFREAK10
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Looks like we are in good hands!! +++++++++++

Snoop-a-Loop
03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
5 years $115,000 a year

BBJunkie
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I am a bit surprised at the terms. Makes me wonder what a counter offer to Miles may have been.

bisonhusker
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
After learning more about the Colorado State package, Miles made the proper decision and is very happy. I am also happy for Saul, sounds like a great deal. He will do a great job.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I wasn't real sure about Saul, but I trust if Taylor felt he was not the best man for the job, than he wouldn't have been hired. Congrats Coach Phillips.

I'll await the news from a certain weatherman to declare the future forcast of mens bball at NDSU.

8-)

Snoop-a-Loop
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Miles deal was a no brainer from a financial standpoint. 115,000 to 400,000 plus major incentives whereby he gets major ching for making the tournament, winning the conference, coach of the year in the confernence, etc.

Likewise, Saul goes from the 40 to 50 range to $115,000.

Both Tim and Saul should be getting plenty of action at home!!

scottheck
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
No questions at the press conference about staff: Koering and Richman???

sambini
03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Congrats to SAUL AND HIS FAMILY.+++

heymch86
03-27-2007, 12:48 AM
At press conference it was said that he will address his staff in the coming days

scottheck
03-27-2007, 12:50 AM
At press conference it was said that he will address his staff in the coming days

Missed that.

BisBison
03-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Missed that.

I think he looked at them and asked if they were busy for dinner tonight.

kchats
03-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Great hire as a mid major NDSU needs to hire young up and coming coaches with talent and enthusiasm and it sounds like Saul Phillips is that kind of guy. I hope that within 5 or 6 years bigger programs are trying to hire Saul Phillips to be their coach. ;)

BisBison
03-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Great hire as a mid major NDSU needs to hire young up and coming coaches with talent and enthusiasm and it sounds like Saul Phillips is that kind of guy. *I hope that within 5 or 6 years bigger programs are trying to hire Saul Phillips to be their coach. ;)

That seems to be the pattern. And I can live with it. That said, we do need to step up the salarys for both bball and football to keep them a year or two longer if we can.

kchats
03-27-2007, 02:00 AM
NDSU is near the top of the salary scale in the Mid Con and we aren't even in there yet. The salary NDSU is paying their coaches is probably near the limit of what NDSU should be paying. Money doesn't grow on trees but some fans on here seem to think so.

NDSUstudent
03-27-2007, 02:13 AM
NDSU is near the top of the salary scale in the Mid Con and we aren't even in there yet. *The salary NDSU is paying their coaches is probably near the limit of what NDSU should be paying. *Money doesn't grow on trees but some fans on here seem to think so.

If NDSU wants to remain competitve pay scales will have to keep on going up, its either that or be left in the dust. Hopefully being in the Mid-Con will raise attendance by a couple thousand or more to provide Gene with some more $$$$ to spend.

TheBisonator
03-27-2007, 02:47 AM
My prediction:

Phillips will lead us to two NCAA tournament appearances. ;)

Bison007
03-27-2007, 03:22 AM
After watching the press conference on gobison.com I have no doubt that this was the best hire for NDSU at this time in history. Sure, it would have been nice to get a big name up and coming coach to bring name recognition and national attention, but this was I feel better. No other man knows this team better then Saul Phillips. The team knows and respects him. It was great when he said that despite all this team has accomplished that there was still goals that were to be achieved. If we are to make the tourney in the next five years, This man I believe can do it. Best of luck coach Plillips.

roadwarrior
03-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Great news on the hire of Saul! I think that he will keep the program rolling in the right direction.

Rams2007
03-27-2007, 04:03 AM
I think you guys are in great shape... with that crew of players now moving into their junior and senior seasons and some continuity among the coaching staff now assured, I think you have a couple of nice seasons in store for you. Maybe Coach Miles will be on the money and there will be a NCAA tourney match-up in the near future. :) I know I've become a bit of a Bison fan and will be keeping an eye on how y'all are doing...

RedRiver
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Forum article on the hire of Coach Phillips.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/160877

DORMIE
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I'll put my faith in Ben Woodside. When Ben says that Saul has made him a better player and wants him for his coach......DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!

go_bison
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
He is going to get $115,000/year. What was Miles making at NDSU per year and what is he making now?

gobison1
03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I believe Miles was making $117,000/year here and is now making $400k plus at CSU.

Bisonfan1
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Very good hire, congrats Saul. I met Saul a couple years ago at a basketball game in Fargo. Us crazy's had the Battle Wagon there, ez-up set up and grill going (to stay warm) and up comes this guy and introduces himself as Saul Phillips, toured the Battle Wagon and hung around for about 10 minutes, thought it was great we were tailgating for a basketball game. Real nice guy.

mikelsch
04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
ESPN's Andy Katz praises Colorado State and North Dakota State for their recent coaching hires
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2834962

"Colorado State: Dale Layer was out, and the school made one of the smartest hires this spring by landing North Dakota State's Tim Miles. This shows CSU was paying attention to the whole landscape. Miles' Bison won at Wisconsin and at Marquette in the past two seasons, and he built a program from non-D-I to being a tough out in Division I."

"North Dakota State: Saul Phillips was instrumental in helping Miles build the Bison. There is no indication he can't continue to keep NDSU going strong."

TheDoctor
04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
ESPN's Andy Katz praises Colorado State and North Dakota State for their recent coaching hires

"Colorado State: Dale Layer was out, and the school made one of the smartest hires this spring by landing North Dakota State's Tim Miles. This shows CSU was paying attention to the whole landscape. Miles' Bison won at Wisconsin and at Marquette in the past two seasons, and he built a program from non-D-I to being a tough out in Division I."

"North Dakota State: Saul Phillips was instrumental in helping Miles build the Bison. There is no indication he can't continue to keep NDSU going strong."

Very impressive commenets coming from Andy who is a great college mind. ;)

sambini
04-18-2007, 03:40 AM

Very impressive commenets coming from Andy who is a great college mind. *;)
Thanks Andy+++