PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Sunday Sports Show

IowaBison
08-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Since moving back to Fargo, I missed having a local Sunday Night Sports show ala Des Moines 'Sound Off'.

This really needs to be started.

Bisonguy
08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
what type of format is "Sound Off"?

IowaBison
08-19-2004, 08:33 PM
they have two sportscasters

the first ,Keith Murphy, is the regular sportscaster for the local NBC affiliate on which the show is aired

the second is usually either Andy Fales, another sportscaster for the station, or the 'Round Guy', a local comedian who also does a weekday sports show

their format consists of talking calls and responding to emails and phone messages taken during the week, as well as regular features 'what's bugging andy' which is a Milleresque type rant, and 'keepin it real' with the sports director telli insert-last-name here

as the program is question driven, a lot of different topics are discussed including Iowa State and Iowa athletics; Professional Athletics, as well as high school events

the quality of the show results from the differing personalities of the Keith, who has a Tucker Carlson bow-tie personality, and Andy/Round Guy; the ability for the fans to talk about what they want to talk about; and the fact that everything about the show is meant to be light hearted and fun

this is much better, in my opinion, then sunday night sport or coach shows which tend to appear canned and flat

Bisonguy
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Why not listen to Prime Time Sports, especially during Bison Feedback, or Sports Night (they talk too much about small college athletics) on WDAY AM or KFGO?

IowaBison
08-19-2004, 08:50 PM
the key word is 'listen', which i do occassionally

i'd also like to watch, especially on a sunday night, which is both the beginning and the end of the sports week

NDSU_grad
08-20-2004, 12:49 AM
I gotta disagree with you about "SoundOff", NDBison. I watched it frequently when I first moved to Ames, but grew to dislike it immensely. It was mostly a bunch of idiots calling in to say stupid crap, and I thought the commentators were in it more for the "shock" value and to entertain than to talk about sports. I'd much rather watch a coaches' show. I'm kind of old fashioned that way though.

IowaBison
08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
i know a lot of people who feel the same way that you do NDSU_grad, but i really did enjoy it

i am a huge fan of college football, especially the clones, but it was painful for me to watch the Coach McCarney's show, too slow, too scripted, too predictable

i don't need the coach to tell me that player x had a great game, or that next week's opponent has a good defense

I'd rather hear emotional fans excited about an upcoming game, dejected because their team blew it...