PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Support

mikelsch
11-24-2004, 04:38 PM
There is no denying that Football is the main focus on this site. And it should be, considering the tradition, success, and passion of NDSU fans. But in order for this DI transition to be truly successful, NDSU has to be competitive in Football AND Basketball (M and W). What builds a competitive program?: good coaching, solid recruiting, and passionate fan base. Passion is gained and not manufactured artificially, so that part will take time. Suggestion for Bison Insider: create the same type of links and in-depth information for basketball as there is for football. It will take some work, but it is one of the steps needed to push basketball in the right direction. We have to increase our support of the BBall teams. I was talking with the SID from Northwestern St when they were here for the football game. He said one trip to the dance will bring more exposure, excitement, and notoriety to your school/area than any other sporting event (even I-AA football playoffs).

IowaBison
11-24-2004, 05:16 PM
My wife and I were at the two games last weekend and were both suprised at the attendance. Considering the games were relatively noncompetitive, as expected, there were quite a few folks there.

If anybody has a problem with the city let me know, our seats are right behind the Mayor's.

JBB
11-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I trust the Mayor is well behaved? :)

I hope to be a the Northern game in Marshall. If any of you are going the Nickel Tavern has good food, beer and pool. Its kind of a sports bar and they will know there is a BB tournament in town and are very aware of NDSU. Its located on the north end of main street by the courthouse.

scottheck
11-25-2004, 02:51 PM
While I have continued to follow FB closely since graduating in '85, though interested, my passion for the BB team dwindled. FB is easier 'cuz there's one game/week, always the same day. There are more BB games and no predictable schedule.

I went to every men's game while attending and attendance was always over 5000 while very few showed up for the women's game. That seems to have reversed in recent years.

In the early 80's, we had some unbelievable players in Jeff Askew(I can still hear the chants for "Q, Q"!!) and Lance Berwald. I lost track during the late 80's and early 90's but how did men's BB lose the fan support and interest?

BisBison
11-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I lost track during the late 80's and early 90's but how did men's BB lose the fan support and interest?
losing

Herd_Mentality
11-25-2004, 11:15 PM
losing

I can't really agree with the 90s comments, some of NDSU's most entertaining teams were the Billeter teams of mid 90s.

We can all assume the mayor is "behaved"... he sure woudn't be out tailgating before the game.