PDA

View Full Version : Jump to new messages in thread?

Tatanka
04-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Say, is there a way to have a link available to jump to the earliest unread message in a thread? Some of the threads have gotten pretty lengthy, and trying to remember where I left off is a pain in the butt. A guy can only read the und* haiku's so many times you know.

BisonInTexas
04-07-2005, 06:35 PM
A "last post" link would be a step in this direction. A lot of other bulletin boards have this feature, which I like a lot.

Another more high tech method would be providing an RSS feed that can be subscribed too. Then an RSS newsreader or RSS savvy browser such as Firefox would display all the new posts since the last time you checked. I have seen this on other bulletin boards as well and it really makes it convenient.

Craig

tony
04-10-2005, 03:52 PM
I'll look into those features... there are some limiting factors though. First, I use a free bulletin board which I haven't written any mods for (nor do I plan on doing so). Second, I could switch bulletin boards, but I only want to switch to software into which I can import all the current messages. Third, my technical expertise (such as it is) doesn't not extend to Perl or, for that matter, to web programming (you notice all my web pages besides the BB are static - that's partly due to lack of web programming ability but mostly because if I tried to put together pages on the fly, some of the pages would take forever to load).

Anyway, you guys can help by letting me know which bulletin board software would work best and I'll try to figure out how to fit in into the schedule.

JBB
04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
This is one of the easiest bulletin boards I have ever used. *The ten most recent posts feature will save you all the time in the world and date/time of last post in a thread helps a lot too. Oh, yea I forgot about jump to new msg in thread feature too. All can be handy if your in a hurry.

BisonInTexas
04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll look into those features... there are some limiting factors though. First, I use a free bulletin board which I haven't written any mods for (nor do I plan on doing so). Second, I could switch bulletin boards, but I only want to switch to software into which I can import all the current messages. Third, my technical expertise (such as it is) doesn't not extend to Perl or, for that matter, to web programming (you notice all my web pages besides the BB are static - that's partly due to lack of web programming ability but mostly because if I tried to put together pages on the fly, some of the pages would take forever to load).

Anyway, you guys can help by letting me know which bulletin board software would work best and I'll try to figure out how to fit in into the schedule.

Tony,

There are lots of mods written for YaBB here (http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php).

I did a search on "Last Post" and "RSS" and there appears to be mods for each of these capabilities. Of course, I have never modded a BB before, so it may not be as simple as it seems! At least you wouldn't have to switch BB software...

Hope this helps!

Craig

tony
04-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I put in the polls mod so I can't imagine that this one will be any harder.

I might switch to what anygivensaturday.org is using (vBulletin). If it can handle the extreme load they get, I'll try to switch to that before the season starts.

One feature I'd like is to set up groups of users so that certain groups of users can only access certain boards. If anybody runs across board software that does that, let me know.

somebison
04-12-2005, 02:08 AM

I might switch to what anygivensaturday.org is using (vBulletin). If it can handle the extreme load they get, I'll try to switch to that before the season starts.

One feature I'd like is to set up groups of users so that certain groups of users can only access certain boards. If anybody runs across board software that does that, let me know.

siouxsports has a "moderation board" that only moderators can access

Bisonguy
04-12-2005, 02:36 AM
The previous version of AGS also had the "anything goes" board, which was hidden unless you were granted access to it.

Tatanka
04-13-2005, 04:16 AM

This would be spectacular if you can get it done! vBulliten is miles better than this software from a user's perspective. Can't speak to the administration of it, though...