PDA

View Full Version : Why Hager780 is probably going to get the boot

imported_admin
04-13-2005, 04:52 PM
This is long but I wanted this is the process I go through when trying to decide whether to ban somebody for being a troll in Bison clothing (plus, it's hella fun for me).

First of all, being critical of NDSU and/or Bison athletics is OK as long it's not gossip or defamatory. Heck, those most critical of Bison athletics are often the most passionate about it. However, it is not OK to pose as Bison fan in order to do so.

Most of you probably had already decided that Hager780 was being a little less than honest about his point of view without really thinking about it. *However, I prefer to give things more consideration.

If what's he saying is the truth, here's what I know from Hager780 based on his own words (I'll use the masculine pronoun for him based on his "whacko feminist" comment):

Hager780 on Hager780:

- He holds a degee from NDSU.
- He is a big hockey fan.
- He is not a fan of any WCHA team ("I'm no fan of them but I did attend several wcha games this season in GF and Minneapolis").
- He follows UND hockey (kind of contradiction of his earlier comment about not being a fan of any WCHA team)
- He writes checks to NDSU but threatens to stop them if he is not treated well here.

Hager780 on NDSU:

- Not a pimple on the ass of Division I
- "DAMN NCAA eligibility!! but at least we have track to look forward too" (note the "we")
- "whoa! I looked up the arbitron cable ratings back to december and the dog show also beat out the DI-AA championship in viewership numbers"
- "All I can say is they're having a lot of fun north of us right now while we talk about track and softball and the fact our BB team finally won a game over Valley City"
- "Are we one whacko-feminist away from ncaa problems?" (this mistake threw me a little)
- "I think it's great to see Coach Bohl begging for donations on the radio!"
- "It restores my faith that not all SU grads failed basic spelling" (um, "Basic Spelling" might be a course at UND but it is not at NDSU - hehehe, couldn't resist).

Here's other things I know:

- He only started posting when UND made a surprise run in hockey playoffs
- He is very coy about who he is and what is background (i.e. he'll say he has a degree from NDSU but not that he is a fan of Bison athletics).
- He reads non-hockey threads at SiouxSports.com (oops)
- When talking about NDSU athletics, he uses "we" and "us" when talking about UND he uses "they".
- He can look up arbitron ratings from December but can't/didn't post a link to them
- He has enough money or free time to go to hockey games for schools he's not really a fan of (suggests either a kid in his 20's hitching rides with UND fans or an established professional / business owner).

Suspicions

Based on this information I suspect Hager780 holds a degree from UND and is a huge UND booster. He probably is a lawyer or law school grad of UND who has a practice in Fargo and has access to LexisNexis or something - heck, maybe he's a media guy in Fargo or Grand Forks who covers hockey (I discounted that because reporters don't usually hobnob with fans). He has a very high opinion of his intelligence and that suggests a law school background or journalism school - however, he probably has only measured himself against fellow UND grads :). There's no denying that he is pretty smart because he made the link between "agitator" and Nazi Germany (although I suspect he made it unconsciously). I'm never going to get an email "clearing up the misunderstanding" because there was no misunderstanding - he is a poser. He is probably a frequent poster on Siouxsports.com and if I took the time to look for anti-NDSU posts, I might be able to tell you what handle he uses. If he really has them, he may be second guessing his NDSU season tickets because now that UND is off the schedule it's not as much fun - he used to go the Bison-Sioux game with all his UND buddies and cheer for UND. He has deliberately misled others about his point of view in order to make his barbs sink more deeply. I also think he was either being a joker or a jackass for getting all huffy about being called something he knows dang well he is. I'd love it if he were the former, not so much if it's the latter. Obviously I'm using Occam's Razor like a scythe and going with the simplest possible explanation for Hager780's posting patterns while making a lot of wild ass guesses.

There you have it. Most of you probably came to similar conclusions on your own unconsciously. Anyway, that's why he's going to get banned unless he clears things up with me, not because he is critical of NDSU or posts about UND hockey (he was provoked by our own bad sportmanship after all), but because I think he was being a weasel and you don't let weasels in the hen house.

WYOBISONMAN
04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
An excellent assessment of the strange rantings of a bizarre poster on the board.......I would agree that weasels have no place in the hen house.....thumbs up Tony....http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

kchats
04-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Here here! Get rid of the bum and agitator. Try typing it while holding an 8 month old that is trying to help you type and you might spell it wrong. So sue me.

sambini
04-14-2005, 02:31 AM
THANKS TONY! HE CAN'T BE RELATED TO GOOD OL RALPH ROCKY HAGAR? HE IS A SIOUX FOR SURE GET RID OF HIM.

kchats
04-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Sambini wrote this on March 29, 2005

hager780 i wonder if rocky would cheer for the siouxage?

hager780 responded with this on March 29, 2005

mmm I guessing NOT but don't confuse my handle as homage to Rocky.

Sambini responded with this on March 30, 2005

ROCKY WASBISON.

hager780 responded with this on March 31, 2005

oh Rocky Wasbison!!! Yeah that kid from wahpeton who lived down the hall from me in the dorm. Flunked out of pre-pharm as I recall then got a job with vector control or krispykreme or something.

That should have tipped all of us off right away. Every Bison fan on this board thinks very highly of Rocky Hager. He won a lot of games for the Bison and a couple of national championships. We all would have loved to see him return when Babich left, although I am very happy we hired Coach Bohl. The only people that couldn't stand Rocky were the Sioux because Rocky never minced words when discussing his disdain for the Sioux. :o

tony
04-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, first of all, I woke up this morning and first I think thought was, "Omigod, why the heck did I post that?" I mean, what if I was right about who he was?

To his credit, Hager780, did send me a pm but managed to tick me off even more - something that I didn't think possible. However, he says he isn't a lawyer or media type so I was relieved about that. He did, however, threaten to pull a $1000 donation (I assume a yearly one) because of how poorly we have treated him. Well, he has a point. However, while I won't ban him, I did tell him to screw it, I'll cover his damn $1000 - I had to immediately amend that to say "eventually" cover his $1000 - being angry makes me hasty. Anyway, I'm just going to assume he's pulling his donation on account of me being rude to him. Arg. Anybody have some money making ideas? :)

Anyway, I probably won't be able to scrape it together before this year's cutoff for making the program (heck, it's going to be close with my own membership with us moving to Amsterdam in May), but if you don't see $1000 donation to TeamMakers in the name of H780 every year until I'm dead, you'll know I've made myself into a liar; that is, assuming Hager780 doesn't tell me that he's not pulling his donation.

Herd_Mentality
04-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Is someone who would pull a donation because of "abuse" on an internet message forum a logical human being?

BisonMav
04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Do you have a rabbit?
Money Making Idea (http://www.savetoby.com/)

Tony,

You could set up a paypal account and let members of Bisonville make a voluntary donation.

TheBisonator
04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Is someone who would pull a donation because of "abuse" on an internet message forum *a logical human being? *

No. No they are not.

kchats
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Tony,
What makes you think he is really a Team Maker just because he threw out $1000 donation? I think he is trying to pull another fast one and I don't trust him (he must be a lawyer regardless of what he says). Like everyone else says if he pulls a donation (assuming he actually donates) over people getting on him for the way he treats the program on this message board, good riddance. We don't need his money and before you worry about replacing his money find out if he actually did donate. I'm sure you can see a list of Team Makers (probably not their donation amount but a list of names). When he signs up for the board he has to provide a name right? The fund raising drive for Team Makers will more than make up for a supposed donation from a non-fan.

WYOBISONMAN
04-14-2005, 07:10 PM
I bet he doesn't give a dime.........he is a UND guy..... :-/

JBB
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Hager and Bison02 will probably both stop giving. Hager because he heard people didnt agree with him and he helped make it personal and 02 because we wont limit topics to the ones he likes.

Bison_Dan
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I bet he doesn't give a dime.........he is a UND guy..... :-/

If he was a Bison he wouldn't act like he does. Tony if you know his name it's easy to contact Teammakers and see if he's a member.

Bisonfan1
04-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Check the football program from a game last year, everyone is listed there that has donated to Team Makers, or the Bison Excellence fund.

tony
04-14-2005, 08:44 PM
JBB, there are huge differences between Hager780 and 02Bison. 02Bison is a long-time poster who has never given me cause to doubt that anything he or she has said is both heartfelt and well-intentioned. Hager780 flat out lied on one of his first posts and got upset when people caught on. Dancing around the truth in nearly every post didn't really help his credibility much either.
------------------
BisonDan, oh, gosh no, I'm not going to look beyond what is available on this board to make any judgements on him. Bad enough that I got so angry, but taking it any further would be creepy. Anyway, he never said he was a Team Maker. Based on the way he waved his NDSU degree around, I can't imagine that he'd leave that bit of biographical detail out of his posts.
------------------
Just in general, please don't pile on other posters on my account. I feel bad enough for getting angry already; it makes me feel worse when others do too... much worse. And don't offer to help pay for my big mouth, it'll be good for me to write out that check every year and remember why I'm doing it... besides, I think it'll be funny.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Tony, be careful throwing your money around like that, next thing you know Chapman will have all the coaches on here making up new accounts and pretending to be a UND fan who is pretending to be a Bison fan (if you can follow that) so that you will keep sending in more money! :)
Soon you will be paying for the new basketball arena :)

WYOBISONMAN
04-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm...............that could fund that BSA remodel............................ ;)

tony
04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Hehehe, all the more reason to rein in my temper quickly :)

JBB
04-15-2005, 02:02 AM
JBB, there are huge differences between Hager780 and 02Bison. 02Bison is a long-time poster who has never given me cause to doubt that anything he or she has said is both heartfelt and well-intentioned. Hager780 flat out lied on one of his first posts and got upset when people caught on. Dancing around the truth in nearly every post didn't really help his credibility much either.

I hear that Tony. *My comment was light hearted meant to pt out the fact that you should bear no responsibility for what they do, especially hager. *
:)

kchats
04-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Tony, that ban isn't working very well. Hager780 is still spouting anti-NDSU stuff claiming to be a NDSU grad. He is most definitely a UND grad and he needs to go. >:(

tony
04-15-2005, 07:01 PM
I didn't ban him... I said I would if he didn't clear things up and he at least attempted to. Anyway, I think you should take him at his word that he has a degree from NDSU - it's always better to take folks at their word whenever it's not going to cause harm to do so.

As for banning him in the future, that depends. I was kind of hoping he'd do what he thinks his best in regard to posting - just like I'd hope he'd do what he thinks is best in regards to writing checks to NDSU (hehehe, especially now that I have a monetary interest involved :) ).

Dunno what to think of the guy - he sure ticked me off though.

WYOBISONMAN
04-15-2005, 09:47 PM
although...780 has not yet reached for the level of irritation that 1234 achieved.... ;)

Gamehunter
04-16-2005, 03:17 AM
From the type of post submitted by Hager780 I would tent to think that he would say he is donating the $1000 just to make himself look even more like a Bison fan. If he is really donating that kind of money, GOOD FOR HIM!! I would be proud. But, to be so hot and cold as to pull the plug (funding) over a very logical observation (by tony) of his posting nature is pure ignurance. He may more may not be an NDSU grad. I presume there are going to be sour apples every once in a while when people graduate. However, Hager obviously cares about athletics a great deal whether it be Sue or Bison. He may be a very critical Bison fan, or a Sue fan wanting to do some damage in a different way than usual. (a smart sue fan....rare, yeah i know) I would tend to think the latter, but as Tony said, it's a good idea to take his word as long as it doesn't hurt anything, and so far I dont see how it does.

kchats
04-16-2005, 04:37 AM
I would guess that he may hold an undergraduate degree from NDSU and possibly and advanced degree (Law) from UND. Although I don't believe one thing the guy posts because he is obviously a liar. Tony you aren't the only one he has pissed off on this board. The first posts he posted after you threatened him with a ban were very anti-NDSU and pro-UND. Seems to me that if you banned him (and when you do ban him don't let him on with a new name) he could go post on his beloved Sioux board. I have had enough of him and I would like to see him gone. I believe he is more of a poser than a true NDSU graduate. How many Bison fans on here would threaten to pull their funding a give it to the Sioux? That's what I thought. He isn't a Bison. Give him the boot please.

kchats
04-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Hager780's first post after the threat of a ban.

BTW...what 3 DECADES were that??
--the 80's?
--the LATE 80's?
--AND the early PRE-90's??

-- nice to see the Forum guys finally figured out a sports book could sell!! - the GF Herald figured that out years ago with UND hockey

Does that sound like anyone that even set foot on campus?

DIBISON
04-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Tony, it's gotta be over, read the posts from tonight. I can't stay up all night defending the truth!!!

kchats
04-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Tony, Get rid of the guy. Here is another of his anti-Bison posts.

WOW!! that must have been an awesome atmosphere!! I'll bet they almost thought of opening the hot dog stand for that one! GOD!! DI is great!! If they only get 18,800 more next season they might have something fans want to see!! Like last years WCHA Final Five Championship at the X - WHICH - incidentally, had 19.200 (largest crowd EVER) for a conference hockey game...oh sorry, forgot, hockey is a "minor" sport...silly me...I know a DIVISION ONE softball matchup* must be MUCH more important!!! (AND maybe we can look forward to getting our ASS handed to us in FB for at least a year or two - THAT'S COOL!)

*ohh...also forgot...UND has been playing the U of M every season for 60 years - sorry!

NDSUstudent
04-17-2005, 08:37 AM
well...UND OWNED your ASS for the last 10 years before you decided to pull a Monty Python (RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!) *
Hmmm...maybe Mary will be a competitive opponent who might actually field a team of guys with BALLS rather than the sorry bunch of LOSERS who couldn't take the heat and GOT OUT of the kitchen!! ;D

I rarely support banning people but this goes beyond being a Bison fan being critical of NDSU, he is obviously a sioux fan and has no right to use an ID that is anyway close to sounding like he is an NDSU fan. I don't mind UND fans coming over here and talking about NDSU and DI athletics because a differing opinion is good thing to hear, I also don't mind them coming over here and defending their school whenever it is being smacked. But when they start making posts smacking NDSU or are trying to disguise themselves as Bison fans it is time for them to go.

Bison_Dan
04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I rarely support banning people but this goes beyond being a Bison fan being critical of NDSU, he is obviously a sioux fan and has no right to use an ID that is anyway close to sounding like he is an NDSU fan. I don't mind UND fans coming over here and talking about NDSU and DI athletics because a differing opinion is good thing to hear, I also don't mind them coming over here and defending their school whenever it is being smacked. But when they start making posts smacking NDSU or are trying to disguise themselves as Bison fans it is time for them to go.

Time for him to go Tony.

Bisonfan1
04-17-2005, 05:16 PM
DIDO

BisBison
04-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Time for him to go Tony.

Ditto for me, I've had enough of 780, 01234 or who ever the hell he says he is. After today's post it's evident he is no Bison fan, no matter what he says he is.

Bisonguy
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Ditto for me, I've had enough of 780, 01234 or who ever the hell he says he is. After today's post it's evident he is no Bison fan, no matter what he says he is.

01234 was a Bison fan. Had a few "out-there" ideas, but he was definitely a Bison fan.

Hager is nothing more than an over-zealous Sioux fan on here trying to stir the pot under the guise of a Bison fan. He probably has a mullet and mustache, and definitely does not fit the mold of an airbrushed TV guy.

WYOBISONMAN
04-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Well, it is Sunday PM here in Wyoming and I just finished catching up on the board and reading the latest posts by 780. I have to retract my earlier post and say that he has now gone to the same level of 1234. Tony......give him the boot!!

TheBisonator
04-18-2005, 12:07 AM
DIDO

My tea's gone cold and I'm wondering why I... Got out of bed at all... ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding, Bisonfan1. Ditto for me too.

Bisonfan1
04-18-2005, 02:40 AM
I actually caught that after I posted, and decided what the heck. It was a long night, and I wondered why I even got of bed this morning to read the wonderful wisdom of 780.

02Bison
04-18-2005, 02:53 AM
I actually caught that after I posted, and decided what the heck. It was a long night, and I wondered why I even got of bed this morning to read the wonderful wisdom of 780.

Are you sure you aren't a closet DIDO fan? ::)

sambini
04-18-2005, 04:07 AM
AFTER 780S LATEST POSTS HE NEEDS TO GO .

Gamehunter
04-18-2005, 04:40 AM
I second that motion. I believe all that is needed is a second, no?

kchats
04-18-2005, 05:03 AM
I believe Hager780 is also UND92. Hager780 was awful quiet today but UND92 was obnoxious. UND92 was also very quiet while Hager780 was posting. I would look into the connection. I think two bans might be in order. I wish more Sioux posters were like Sioux_Yeah_Yeah he brings intelligent observations quite often. :)

TheBisonator
04-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Tony, please ban him, I've had enough of his crap... At least tell him afterwards that he can re-register, but he must do so as a Sioux fan, not a Bison fan.

Bisonguy
04-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I believe Hager780 is also UND92. *Hager780 was awful quiet today but UND92 was obnoxious. *UND92 was also very quiet while Hager780 was posting. *I would look into the connection. *I think two bans might be in order. *I wish more Sioux posters were like Sioux_Yeah_Yeah he brings intelligent observations quite often. :)

You're not even close....

He is an overzealous Sioux fan and a "one-man band".

Bisonguy
04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Doh, forgot to mention in the above post that I don't believe UND92 is Hager780.

Should read:

I don't believe UND92 is Hager780. Hager780 is an overzealous Sioux fan and a "one-man band". ;D

BisonMav
05-13-2005, 08:31 PM
He may be back under another name? :(

Bisonguy
05-13-2005, 08:34 PM
He may be back under another name? *:(

Who's trying to pass themselves off as a Bison fan? ???