PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Doctoral Programs

Schemer
04-27-2003, 11:54 PM
What's up with this article?

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/cache/?id=32389

Wow, Craig Schnell is turning up the heat on North Dakota's Educational 'axis of evil' Ha!
This is the same type of arguement we always get out of the Sioux, when NDSU wants to advance.

"The need for an educational doctorate program is already being met by UND....." Apparently, that's not what the consultant's assessment says!

Didn't we go through a similar debate when NDAC wanted to change its name to NDSU?

"We only need ONE university in North Dakota...."

or

"....there IS only one university in North Dakota."

Blah Blah Blah, the jist of what they were saying is, "Keep those stupid Ag kids down.....they're not as good as WE are." ...and of course, we all know, all that goes to NDSU are Ag kids, right?

After all, isn't it just a futile fight, against a stronger, obviously superior academic institution, in UND? If you're a Sioux fan, keep that last statement next to your heart, because it's the only place it'll matter. And when the rubber hits the road, if you're an employer looking for an educated mind, and it came down to a farm kid from SU, or a comparable graduate cake-eater from UND, it doesn't seem so bad to be a hard-working kid from the country, now does it?

Bison_Kent
04-28-2003, 12:14 AM
I couldn't agree more with this. Throughout the country (at least in engineering), NDSU is a high source of top jobs. NDSU has the reputation as having students with a high work ethic and with that sets its students apart from other schools in the country. I have heard that NDSU rival MIT for graduates into engineering jobs as employer's top canidates for jobs. I have no statistics on this. It was just a comment I have heard.

UND does not have this reputation, as far as I know. North Dakota and Northern Minnesota farm students have the work ethic and go to NDSU.

Fargo is a growing community. Fargo residents are asking for a near-by university to have these doctral programs. Why not give them what they want? If Grand Forks residents were asking for the same thing, I don't think NDSU and Fargo would be grumbling.

I am all in favor of adding more student opportunities at NDSU. Look at all the donations from companies now. If there were even more students and programs, I think it will grow the university. Let UND scream and shout. It is a fact that NDSU is the growing university in the state of North Dakota and UND is at a stagnet level.

mojobison
04-28-2003, 03:02 AM
Maybe this should be in smack talk but, man, UND's administrators are being bigger tunnel-visioned jerks than usual lately. Don't forget about how they cut a medical residency program in Fargo and then when Fargo tried to partner up with the U of M to get another one started, they had a hissy fit.

Kupchella should try running his own university for a change - oh wait, he can't - that job is being performed by the hockey program.

WYOBISONMAN
04-28-2003, 06:11 PM
This is not unusual for UND at all. I have a MBA from NDSU and I remember early on how UND fought NDSU adding the MBA program. The claim was that it was a duplication of efforts....which was absolute horse shit! NDSU has a very large MBA program because many of the students are unable to go the Grand Forks due to jobs etc. Others don't want to go to UND just because is is UND and it SUCKS. I hope that the State of North Dakota lets NDSU grow and achieve its potential. I think the thought of that scares the hell out of UND and its supporters because they know that the potential for growth is so much more in Fargo than in Grand Forks. NDSU, if allowed to grow, will easily emerge as the premier institution in North Dakota.

JBB
04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
It already has despite the best efforts of the axis of educational evil. *UNDwear state is emersed in a negative culture. *The history of their relationship with NDSU is solid proof. *Its a shame really. *Fargo is going to continue to grow and NDSU with it. *We are getting a new business college building despite UNDwear states best efforts to stop it. *We still have the MBA and accounting programs despite UNDwear states best efforts to close them down. *We are NDSU despite UNDwear states best efforst to block it. *We are DI despite UNDwear states best efforts to discourage it. *We are still around despite UNDwear states efforts to permanently remove NDSUs accredidation in the late 30s. *The list does go on and so do they. *Is this what happens to all universities that are run by a hockey program?

Their president is a disgrace to all progressive North Dakota citizens.

SDSUFAN
04-29-2003, 11:44 PM
The more I hang around these boards, the more aware I become of the intense rivarly between NDSU and UND. It goes beyond footall. The USD-SDSU rivalry is so mild compared to what goes in our neighboring state. I would not expect UND to stay D2 for long after NDSU moves on to D1.

I do hope NDSU will prevail on this issue and if they have a demand for these programs, its wrong for UND to stand in the way. It does hurt North Dakota. In South Dakota, USD, SDSU and Dakota State have a common campus in Sioux Falls with the initials of USDSU which is weird but Sioux Falls non traditional students can get night courses without going to Madison, Brookings or Vermillion. Its a growing campus and this has a potential for a king of the hill fight down the road.

Schemer
04-30-2003, 06:02 AM
I think at one point we have ourselves a "UNDSU" between Fargo and Grand Forks.....it was that little barn that always got spray painted!

SDSU Fan, yes you are correct, there is an intense rivalry with our neighbor to the north. And don't worry, our engineering profs used to tell us the same thing.....and on a daily basis. Things like, "Ya know, if you can't hack it here....there's always engineering up at UND..." which they (and I) always laughed at, because we considered UND's engineering school a complete joke.

I don't think our rivalry would be quite as intense, if their (UND) effort wasn't SO absolutely obvious, to even the stupidest Sioux grad.

You are certainly right on one thing though....the Sioux will move up. Really, both schools have thing envy of each other.....

NDSU gets the Fargodome...............UND gets the Alerus
UND had jumbotrons in the Alerus..........the very next year who gets them?? ...NDSU
NDSU has 8 National Championships in 110 years of football................UND has 1

ok, on the last one, ya gotta think UND admires us just a bit :)

But getting back to the point, UND subsidises their Hockey program by being cheap on every other DII program. They can't even make the Alerus appear as the home of 'Sioux Football' ...what ever that means. The Sioux can't stand it that we are even considering moving up to 'bigger and better things' ...and (heaven forbid) maybe we'll get some national exposure. That would be just terrible, wouldn't it?