PDA

View Full Version : Director's Cup Standings

Charger
05-07-2003, 06:20 AM
I missed this article when it first came out, but I thought it was still worth posting.

South Dakota State Leads Director's Cup Race
On the strength of its national championship in women's basketball, South Dakota State University has climbed into first place in the race for the 2003 NACDA Director's Cup.

SDSU earned 150 points in basketball, including 100 for winning the Division II women's championship, and closed the winter season with 554 points.

The NACDA Directors' Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 14 sports -- seven women's and seven men's. Each national champion receives 100 points.

The Jackrabbits also placed 10th in womens indoor track and field and wrestling, 17th in men's basketball and 18th in men's indoor track and field.

Grand Valley State (Mich.) dropped into second with 498 points. The Lakers placed seventh in women's indoor track and field, 19th in men's swimming, 20th in women's swimming and 33rd in women's basketball.

GVSU is followed by UC-Davis, in third with 469 points; Western State (Col.), fourth with 468.5 points; and Cal State-Bakersfield, in fifth with 453.5 points.

These are the final winter standings and includes the sports of fencing, skiing, and women and men's basketball, swimming and indoor track and field; and men's ice hockey and wrestling. In addition to South Dakota State, winning national championships were Northeastern State (Okla.) in men's basketball; Truman State (Mo.) in women's swimming; Drury (Mo.) in men's swimming; St. Augustine's (N.C.) in women's indoor track and field; Abilene Christian (Tex.) in men's indoor track and field; and Central Oklahoma in men's wrestling. The highest Division II finish in the National Collegiate (cross divisional) sports of fencing and skiing were Wayne State (Mich.), 17th; and Alaska-Anchorage, ninth respectively.

2003 DIRECTOR?S CUP TOP 15
Team Points
1. South Dakota State ....... 554
2. Grand Valley ............. 498
3. UC-Davis ................. 469
4. Western State ............ 468.5
5. Cal State-Bakersfield .... 435.5
6. North Florida ............ 411.5
7. Truman State ............. 396.5
8. Adam State ............... 393.25
9. Nebraska-Kearney ......... 355
10. South Dakota ............ 352
11. Nebraska-Omaha .......... 338.5
12. North Dakota ............ 328.5
13. Ashland ................. 322.75
14. Northern Colorado ....... 307
15. Massachusetts-Lowell .... 306.75

A top finish in the Director's Cup would have to improve our stock as we look for a conference.

tony
05-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Good luck Charger. NDSU has led the Directors Cup a couple times at this point in the year but a lack of spring sports offered really hampered us down the stretch.

The good news for you is that I don't think that UC Davis will be able to count women's rowing as a sport this year because there are so few performers.

The problem for SDSU is that while you'll pick up some points in golf, that's all you're going to get (I think). There are eleven or so Spring sports and UC Davis offers them all.

The Sears Cup has an archive of scores - I'm going to try to insert a table showing the NCC leader at the end of the Winter, the NCC leader at the end of the season, and the overall champ:

95-96UND (1st)NDSU (3rd)Davis96-97NDSU (2nd)SDSU (7th)Davis97-98USD (3rd)USD (10th)Cal Bakersfield98-99UND (2nd)
NDSU (4th)Adams State99-00UND (1st)NDSU (2nd)Davis
00-01UND (3rd)UND (2nd)Davis01-02UND (2nd)UND (7th)Davis

As you can see, UND almost always leads the NCC after the Winter. Lately, they've been getting some points in tennis too which is really helping them out. Problem is that the NCC is competitive top to bottom - I'd say seven teams finish in the top 20 every year. Davis is probably going to win this year too - besides offering so many sports, they don't have SDSU's type of competition in their regions. When Davis, NDSU, SDSU, and UNC leave, I'd expect UND to start winning the Director's Cup.

SDSUFAN
05-08-2003, 12:33 AM
I think SDSU is going to need a good showing in both men and women's track and we do have some such as Jennie Stovall who have finished high in some meets. Baseball and Softball for SDSU are not going to be point getters this year. We can only hope Davis does not have a better season in both those sports, but I suspect they have done so. I think we can be happy with a top finish. The Sears Cup would be nice, but not the end of the world if Davis steps up again this year and wins big in the spring sports.

SDSUFAN
05-08-2003, 02:56 AM
I found this in the Brookings Register. Hopefully it will be points as Tony alluded to in above post . Note that UC Davis leads the Western Region. Thats trouble.

Wednesday 7 May, 2003

SDSU men sit in seventh at golf regional

From Staff Reports May 07, 2003

LITTLETON, Colo. - South Dakota State is in seventh place after the first round of competition Monday in the NCAA Division II Northwest Regional tournament at The Meadows Golf Course.

The Jackrabbits, who qualified for the eight-team tournament after winning the North Central Conference tournament in October, shot a team total of 312 on Monday. Colorado-Colorado Springs leads the field after shooting a 2-over team total of 290. Nebraska-Kearney is a stroke back at 291.

Joel Harrington, a senior from Stillwater, Minn., carded the low round of the day for SDSU with a 2-over 74 (38-36), putting him in a seven-way tie for 14th. Matt Conlon was next for the Jackrabbits at 77 (40-37), placing him in a tie for 26th.

Rounding out the Jackrabbit scoring were: Ryan Cooley, tied for 28th, 79 (42-37); Brian Schultz, tied for 36th, 82 (41-41); and John Oien, tied for 42nd, 88 (43-45).

Jon Olson of Colorado-Colorado Springs and Jeremy Lederer of Fort Lewis (Colo.) share the individual lead after each fired a 3-under round of 69.

The tournament is being held in conjunction with the West Regional. California-Davis leads that eight-team field by three strokes over Cal State-Stanislaus, 279-282.

©Brookings Register 2003
Copyright © 1995 - 2003 PowerOne Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.