View Full Version : Taylor lays out plans for Dome, BSA

Bisonguy
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Here's the story:

Taylor lays out plans for Dome, BSA
By Mike Nowatzki
mnowatzki@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 07/02/2003

The Fargodome will play a key role in North Dakota State University’s quest for a Division I athletic conference, NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor said Tuesday.

During a planning meeting of the Fargo Dome Authority, Taylor also laid out plans for a major expansion and remodeling project for the Bison Sports Arena.

NDSU needs better basketball facilities to alleviate scheduling conflicts and recruit athletes during its move to Division I athletics, Taylor said.

When representatives of potential D-I conferences visit NDSU, the dome will be showcased as a place to hold major basketball events, such as conference tournaments, Taylor said.

The dome can seat more than 10,000 spectators for basketball, compared with 6,500 in the arena, he said.

“Because of this facility, we have the opportunity to bring some big teams in here that most new Division I teams don’t have,” Taylor said.

NDSU currently will be an independent in 2004-05, its first year of D-I competition.

Taylor said he hopes to have more formal discussions about joining the Mid-Continent Conference, which recently named a new commissioner. NDSU also is still in conversations with the Big Sky Conference, he said.

“Right now, we’ve been told to be patient and not get ahead of the present,” he said.

Regardless of conference affiliation, NDSU is moving ahead with plans for an $8 million to $10 million arena renovation and expansion, Taylor said.

The expansion calls for adding about 43,000 square feet to the west side of the arena. The space will house two basketball practice courts, a strength training area, a learning enhancement center for athletes and a Bison athletics hall of fame.

The existing arena will receive a new basketball floor, track surface, concessions area and scoreboards, Taylor said. New bleachers will expand seating capacity from 6,500 to about 7,500, he said.

The project should give the arena basketball space equal to or greater than the planned $7 million addition to Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, Taylor said.

A Kansas City-based architecture firm is finalizing NDSU’s plans, and Taylor said he hopes to begin marketing the design to potential donors this fall.

NDSU will eventually need a new basketball facility, but the renovated arena should serve the school’s needs for the next 10 to 15 years, Taylor said. Fund-raising estimates showed a new facility wasn’t feasible at this time, he said.

Taylor’s presentation was part of a daylong strategic planning session between the Dome Authority and its new management company, Philadelphia-based Global Spectrum, which signed a 5˝-year contract with the dome Tuesday.

“We’ve got a document that is mutually beneficial, that is incentive-based, that will allow them to help take us to the next level,” Dome Authority President Russ Johnson said.

Dome Authority members listed customer service and an expanded marketing plan as their top two goals, and also discussed putting together a public relations policy.

Global Spectrum will work with dome Executive Director Paul Johnson to form a budget plan by Aug. 1, a marketing plan by Sept. 1 and a list of prioritized goals by Oct. 1, Dome Authority member Keith Bjerke said.

The Dome Authority also unanimously approved a theatre rigging grid system for the dome at a cost not to exceed $540,000. The system, which will allow the dome to host Broadway-style shows, should be ready by this fall, Bjerke said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

tony
07-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I don't like that Gene compared the new arena to the REA addition unless he was responding to a question. Volunteering that information is too much like what UND's administration does all the time.

I hate to see NDSU pay $10 million on something that will be replaced in 10-15 years - unless they have a good use in mind for the BSA after the move. *sniff* I guess this means they'll be moving over onto Dacotah field.

JBB
07-03-2003, 02:21 AM
Football could always move into a large outdoor stadium and the Fab Fargo Dome could host hockey and BB. *That leaves the BSA to be torn down and replaced or otherwise converted. * Anyway, to me, Dacotah Field has been moved into the FFD. *If they move it ouside in 10-15 yrs that would be fine by me.

Bison_Kent
07-03-2003, 02:52 AM
I would imagine the BSA would be upgraded for volleyball and keep indoor track and field when the new arena is built for basketball and possibly hockey. *This would lead to replacing Benston-Bunker possibly.

JBB
07-03-2003, 03:44 AM
I would hate to see the "Old Fieldhouse" now Benston-Bunker removed. I promoted a lot of concerts their as Chairman of Campus Attractions, Special Events.

BisonInTexas
07-03-2003, 03:49 AM
Football could always move into a large outdoor stadium and the Fab Fargo Dome could host hockey and BB. *That leaves the BSA to be torn down and replaced or otherwise converted. * Anyway, to me, Dacotah Field has been moved into the FFD. *If they move it ouside in 10-15 yrs that would be fine by me.

The BSA will continue to be used after they build new arena, if for nothing else indoor track. It is a first rate facility for hosting meets, even after all these years.

Put me first in line to donate to resurrect an outdoor Dacotah Field. Football is not meant to be played indoors! :P

Craig