PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Downtown Campus

Bisonguy
12-17-2003, 12:53 AM
If anyone wants to see how the progress is going on the NDSU Downtown campus, here's a link to a webcam that NDSU setup- nothing much yet, but should be stuff going on in the next couple months.

http://facilities-mgmt.ndsu.nodak.edu/maint_const/

You might be prompted about downloading and running some"Axis View" program or something like that, depending on your security settings. It's safe and allows you to view the webcam on top of the Fargo Fire Department building.

TheBisonator
12-10-2004, 06:13 AM
That is, the WHOLE architecture department. As a current architecture student at NDSU, this is obviously something that has personally piqued my interest.

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/20041210ndsu1210.jpg

NDSU considers expansion
By Mike Nowatzki,The Forum
Published Friday, December 10, 2004

Having just opened its new downtown campus in August, North Dakota State University is already looking to expand its presence in Fargo's historic district.

Another downtown building could become home to NDSU's entire architecture department by next fall if the school can secure funding, officials said Thursday.

NDSU has taken particular interest in the former Center for New Americans building at 720 Main Ave.

The 13,000-square-foot building is owned by Mark Richman of Coldwell Banker's commercial division. Leases on the building expired within the past couple of months and negotiations are under way with two or three parties, Richman said.

"We're sure visiting with them," he said of NDSU.

More of the article at: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77604&section=news

Bisonguy
12-10-2004, 06:21 AM
8) 8) 8)

TheBisonator
12-10-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm wondering if they could build a skyway over the railroad tracks connecting the two buildings. And with the completion of that big parking ramp they're supposed to build as part of that new arena development to the east of the current downtown building, it could truly be a "mini-campus".

JBB
12-10-2004, 01:22 PM
That would be a long skyway with no other buildings between, but Im sure it could be done. Thats the corner buildilng that began life as a bank. Whomever came up with the idea to convert existing downtown buildings should get some kind of award. Its helping revitalize, renew and of best of all is saving tens of millions in capital investment.

IowaBison
12-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I think the skyway is a BAD idea. Make the kids walk, get them out on the streets of Downtown Fargo.

I think that ideas/moves like this have to make most of Fargo pretty damn happy.

I do think that the university should ask the city for $40 million to build it though. :)

WYOBISONMAN
12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
I do like the idea of growth at NDSU, but how convenient is it to have a program located off-campus like that?

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Good, get those fancy drawing boys out of the way to the real engineers can get to business.

IowaBison
12-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I do like the idea of growth at NDSU, but how convenient is it to have a program located off-campus like that?

They actually have very convenient and free busing that runs from campus to downtown every fifteen minutes.

tony
12-10-2004, 06:39 PM
The more I think about a downtown campus, the more I like it. I used to think NDSU should have a "Dinkytown" type deal but didn't like the idea of separating the campus from town that much. Besides, why set up a whole new business center to compete with existing North Dakota business when we already have a woefully underutilized area in the downtown already? Kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

TheBisonator
12-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Good, get those fancy drawing boys out of the way to the real engineers can get to business.

Seriously, don't go there. You do NOT want to go there, my friend.

JBB
12-10-2004, 08:36 PM
One exciting connection I havent made with the art department downtown is the proximity to the Plains Art Museum. *Not knowing their relationship now, I think it could really serve to increase collaboration and cooperation between the two institutions.

The Plains is another great example of an old, classical building being renovated to usefull purpose.

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Seriously, don't go there. You do NOT want to go there, my friend.

Too late.

BisonMav
12-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Too late.
Don't do what you did on another messageboard

BisBison
12-10-2004, 10:28 PM
for crying out loud bf01234 are you really that small or do you just say shit to piss everyone off >:( ???

WYOBISONMAN
12-10-2004, 10:32 PM
It was peaceful before 1234 came back to life..... :-/

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
for crying out loud bf01234 are you really that small or do you just say shit to piss everyone off >:( ???

Pfft, what the hell is it to you? Mind your own damn business.

scottheck
12-10-2004, 11:11 PM
One exciting connection I havent made with the art department downtown is the proximity to the Plains Art Museum. *Not knowing their relationship now, I think it could really serve to increase collaboration and cooperation between the two institutions.

The Plains is another great example of an old, classical building being renovated to usefull purpose.

You will see a great deal of cooperation between the two.

For the artsy types, this facility is unbelievable. The senior art students have really made themselves at home in the basement. They are each given a space to set up a "studio" which now look as lived in as frat houses. I didn't see them but there are showers there as well.

TheBisonator
12-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Bisonfan01234 fails to realize that the number three most respected profession in Western culture after doctors and lawyers are ARCHITECTS. Ask an engineer to design a tool shed, and he'll be clueless. Architects make a lot more than engineers. And yes, I looked it up. The NDSU architecture program is one of the finest in the nation at literally the lowest cost. That's why I chose to go here. While not as important of a profession as farmers (probably the most important in the world), architects have a key role to play in our society. BF01234 may not think so, but everyone else does. Kind of like everything else he believes.

Bisonfan01234
12-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Ask an engineer to design a tool shed, and he'll be clueless.

That's because engineers have more important things to do.

At least, an engineer would make something simple, functional, and above all CHEAP.

An architect would try to art it up, ruin it's functionality, and make it expensive.

The world would be a better place without architects.

TheBisonator
12-11-2004, 01:29 AM
The world would be a better place without architects.

Just like it would be a better place without books??

http://dakedesu.gamedeveloper.net/storage/images/weborientated/uncle_sam.jpg

IowaBison
09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Not final, but that's the word on campus, including a lot of folks who would need to start planning in order to accomodate it.

NDB's advice to any risk-seekers out there: buy land adjacent to University and 10th between Main and the tracks. Business is going to start popping there over the next decade.

TheBisonator
09-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I thought they were thinking of moving into the Pioneer Mutual building that was recently bought??

IowaBison
09-22-2006, 01:33 AM
which will push the fringe of downtown to 7th St & 10th Ave.

infill between university and 10th-apartments, retail,.....

sambini
09-22-2006, 02:12 AM
They can go between CHUBS AND THE NESTOR.

IowaBison
09-22-2006, 01:33 PM
and the northern........

Tatanka
09-24-2006, 02:56 AM
They can go between CHUBS AND THE NESTOR.

The Nestor? Seriously? never in 100 years. To paraphrase a popular "hell no", I wouldn't drink there with your liver and JBB's lungs inhaling the secondhand smoke...

sambini
09-24-2006, 04:58 AM
New owner has cleaned up the joint. And is getting bands and the college crowd.

Tatanka
09-25-2006, 12:41 AM
My bad then. Good to know.

broke_back_mnt
09-26-2006, 09:28 PM
The Nestor is a hot spot. It has been changed. The Underbelly of College Radio was there Sunday night with Blind Joe and another local band. Nothing wrong with the Nestor. The Bismarck might be another story.

insane_ponderer
09-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I think a major factor in all of this was the closing of Ralph's in Moorhead. It was a sad thing, but the bands definitely spread out and now there are a lot of bars that now are offering live music.

sambini
09-27-2006, 12:40 AM
New owner at the NESTOR AND IS JOINING teamakers.+++++++

IowaBison
10-12-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=142601&section=news

Gully
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. More exciting news but do they risk losing something by splitting up campus this much...it's one thing to have art type folks downtown but Agribusiness? What will they do with Morril hall?

IowaBison
10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Feel good about it.

Agribusiness was originally slatted to move into the new COB.

I'm sure Morrill will be torn down.

(just kidding)

roadwarrior
10-12-2006, 08:19 PM
In addition to remodeling the six-story Pioneer building, NDSU will add an education wing with classrooms, an atrium area and a two-story auditorium.

Also planned is an open area between the two buildings to give it a campus feeling.

WYOBISONMAN
10-12-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't like the COB being downtown.....and I would hate to see Morrill go....Morrill is an institution and those old buildings give the campus a lot of character......

insane_ponderer
10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
No offense Wyo, but those old buildings also take up a lot of room, are constantly in need of repairs, have outdated technology...etc. etc.

I love the way some of them look, and some of them can be remodeled, upgraded and continue to serve the students well, but I think keeping a building around just because of tradition and character may not be the best idea.

All in all its a good problem to have, it means the campus is growing and improving and it just means we have to make decisions on how to expand efficiently while keeping the asthetic value and tradition of the campus at its high level.

Also, I am a big fan of the downtown campus and how it is growing. The only thing that I am concerned with is the transportation, I really hope that the campus steps up with ample parking and free shuttle service too and from main campus to downtown.

roadwarrior
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
NorthDakotaBison was kidding about Morrill Hall. I think it was built in the 20's and is going to be there for many more decades.

DORMIE
10-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Just to add onto what Roadwarrior said, they were looking for more space downtown for the design etc. department (?) for the Architecture Building. They were asked to see the Lincoln Mutual Building. Noridian also owned the Pioneer Mutual Building. They put a hell of a package together just to get out from under those 2 buildings. The Pioneer Building actually looks like a business building. What they have is 2 structurally sound buildings on 2 city blocks with 400 parking spaces. They won't have 400 because of the addition though. The price of the proposed business building had gone up from 13M to almost 17M plus 1.5M to get steam to the building. This whole package won't be that expensive. Hopefully this change in direction will give some Momentum to the fundraising of this project.

NDSUstudent
11-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Here is a pic of the downtown college of business....

http://innerjoejoe.wordpress.com/files/2006/11/ndsu_001s.jpg

Bisonguy
11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
They need to put up a big Bison logo up where the Pioneer Mutual sign used to be.....

Ivy
11-04-2006, 02:46 AM
They need to put up a big Bison logo up where the Pioneer Mutual sign used to be.....

I was just thinking the same thing!

sambini
11-04-2006, 04:20 AM
THAT FLASHES ON AND OFF. OR SNORTS ++++

Ivy
11-04-2006, 04:38 AM
This building already looks big as is. Plus the addition. Wow!

Will this loction for the College of Business pose problems for those students taking business classes in the freshmen, sophomore years and traveling between the main campus and downtown?

met1990
11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I think it will cause more problems for the upperclassmen. After all, Chub's is between the main campus and the new college of business.

Siouxpreme
11-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Without some color or banners, you have to admit it looks more like a mental asylum or sanitarium than a business school.

Hammersmith
11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Without some color or banners, you have to admit it looks more like a mental asylum or sanitarium than a business school.
There's a difference?

bisonaudit
11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Considering that the building they're starting with doesn't have much to say architecturally I think that they've done a fine job with the concept renderings for the addition. The Pioneer building is a big ugly grey box with a few column's slapped on the front. When that's you're starting point you either do something like this or you go Frank Ghery on its a**, which is fine for an art museum or a concert hall but not a college of business.

roadwarrior
11-06-2006, 01:17 AM
The new classroom wing that will be built downtown for the most part is the same setup as the classroom wing for the proposed campus building. The only major changes were to the exterior, to blend with the existing building.

OrygunBison
11-06-2006, 08:19 PM

WOW!!! It's big AND ugly!!!

Say all you want about being hamstrung by an existing building structure but I, for one, don't really see the point of building downtown unless there's some good design associated with the project. This isn't it.

Regarding upgrades to existing historic structures on campus, they are rarely a cost-effective approach. That being said, the cost differential is usually made up through the presence that these buildings have on campus. They have architectural detailing that could never be done with today's level of craftsmanship or tools/materials. The plain fact of the matter is that saving a building is often worth an extra couple million bucks in the long run - for reasons that make accountants scratch their heads.

bisonaudit
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM

WOW!!! *It's big AND ugly!!!

Say all you want about being hamstrung by an existing building structure but I, for one, don't really see the point of building downtown unless there's some good design associated with the project. *This isn't it.

Regarding upgrades to existing historic structures on campus, they are rarely a cost-effective approach. *That being said, the cost differential is usually made up through the presence that these buildings have on campus. *They have architectural detailing that could never be done with today's level of craftsmanship or tools/materials. *The plain fact of the matter is that saving a building is often worth an extra couple million bucks in the long run - for reasons that make accountants scratch their heads.

The accountants are saving an existing building and doing it for less money than building new. So I guess historic preservation is only worth while if it's on campus. There is no option for the college of business to upgrade an existing on campus facility, the current arrangement is completely inadequate. It was a travesty 8 years ago when they started raising money for a new building, it's an even bigger travesty now.

If the complaints are 'location' and 'ugly', fine complain away. But don't try to expand the argument to bulldowsing history and fiscal irresponsibility.

OrygunBison
11-07-2006, 05:31 AM
That design is not an example of historic preservation. If the building is crap to start with, don't try to elaborate on the crap. Expand and remodel to make it better than it was.

Hammersmith
11-07-2006, 06:07 AM
The Pioneer Mutual building really isn't that bad. The original three floors are actually quite nice, although the upper addition leaves a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that. There are two other factors to be considered before you write off this design as being ugly. 1. There are existing buildings on the grassy area in the foreground. From no vantage point will you be able to see the building as it is in the rendering. 2. We don't know what the Lincoln Mutual building will look like after its renovation. It's very possible that the architect is using the addition to visually link the two structures. I'm going to hold judgement until I see a final rendering/plan that includes the whole area.

BTW, I like the idea of a downtown campus(I want the music and theatre depts to move down there someday) and I'm glad the CoB was able to get more square footage for less money with this deal.

ps. It needs more columns. You can never have too many columns. :)

cabis
11-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Anything that fractures your student body, fractures your alumni, fractures future giving and fractures the long term viability of your institution. Not a good idea in my opinion.

TheBisonator
11-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Anything that fractures your student body, fractures your alumni, fractures future giving and fractures the long term viability of your institution. Not a good idea in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but that was a REALLY ignorant comment.

The Downtown Campus was probably the greatest thing to ever happen to the NDSU Art and Architecture programs.

It has also been the main catalyst in the growth of downtown.

THINK before you type, man!!!

Paulie
11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
How far is this in miles?

scottheck
11-09-2006, 11:17 PM
How far is this in miles? *

About a mile, it's on 10th St and 3rd Ave, SE corner of campus starts on University and 12th Ave: 9 blocks N and 3 very short blocks W. *It's not much longer than the Fargodome to the Music Bldg.

The addition of the Architect and Arts depts downtown has really helped the resurrection of downtown and helped those depts. *There are now young people patronizing businesses and spending money. *It's really coming alive. *Adding hundreds more consumers will only help downtown. *It sounds like everyone in the community, particularly downtown businesses are very excited.

It also suggests to the community that NDSU and its students are contributing rather than setting up their only little community out by the airport.

It was the Development Foundation who made the decision. *They are or represent the major givers. *From what I've heard it's done quite the opposite of fracturing the future giving. * *

WYOBISONMAN
11-10-2006, 01:40 AM
As a MBA grad from NDSU, I have to say I do not like the idea of moving the College of Business off campus. I don't think it is good in any way........

bisonmike
11-10-2006, 01:52 AM
As a graduate of the college of business at NDSU, I love the fact that it is moving downtown. NDSU has not been well know for it's business school. We've always had the smallest building, with the smallest classrooms.. This puts the college of business on the map. It gives them something unique, something to be proud of. Plus it is walking distance to the northern and chub's. How is this a bad thing? I only wish I were still going to school.

max_cool
11-10-2006, 06:28 AM

Just wanted to add that Arizona State now has 1,2,3,4,5 yes 5 campuses accross the Phoenix metro area (note they will all soon be renamed to just ASU, not ASU - Mesa or something), the main one being in Tempe, then Glendale/Mesa/Downtown and a research/development area in Scottsdale. The school is not feeling many ill effects, the downtown students are a little upset since it's a new campus and there isn't too much "student life" there, but give it a little time. If you would like to read up on this a little more I would suggest our president's (Michael Crow) essay titled The New American University.

The only thing I don't like is that he wants every student that graduates highschool in AZ to be admitted to ASU if they apply, this lowers the prestige of the university and makes students believe that they can be successful in a world class university that attracts some of the best students from accross the country when many just won't be able to keep up. I think it's shady to take money from these kids knowing that they will more likely than not, fail or drop out, leaving them in an even worse situation.

well, I sure went off topic now didn't I!?!

--edit--
I actually dropped out of NDSU because I had been there 3 years "working" on a CompSci degree but realised that I just wasn't interested in CompSci which is why I was doing so terribly academically. So I moved to Phoenix and now I'm an A student at ASU studying PolySci and Italian.

IowaBison
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
hence the joke, her pants are easier to get into than Arizona State! :D

roadwarrior
11-10-2006, 08:31 PM
The City of Fargo and NDSU are committed to provided whatever level of bus service is necessary for the transport of students from the downtown campus to the main campus.

IowaBison
11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I would replace the word 'committed' to 'happier-than-heck-to'

I've heard ten minute headway between buses, maybe less.

insane_ponderer
03-29-2007, 02:33 AM
North Dakota State University ignored the Legislature's explicit directions when it bought two downtown Fargo buildings last year for its business college and architecture department, senators say.

Sen. Randy Christmann, R-Hazen, described the action as "repulsive," while Sen. Joel Heitkamp, D-Hankinson, said it went "to the heart and soul" of legislators' misgivings about the budget authority that lawmakers have ceded to the state university system.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/state/131026.txt

Does anyone else think that some of the SBoHE memebers have their heads so far up their asses they can't see the sun?

TheBisonator
03-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Gee, I wonder what university those two legislators graduated from... ::)

Bisonguy
03-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Wow, Joel Heitcamp trying to drag NDSU through the mud. ::)

What actually was shocking was his co-workers making fun of him on KFGO-AM today on this issue.

kchats
03-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Must be time for a few idiots to drum up another political attack on NDSU. We had the Potts thing that they blew completely out of proportion last year and now this idiotic attack.

Everything and everything I have read about the downtown campus has been positive.

roadwarrior
03-29-2007, 03:54 AM
I laughed when I first read the story. *It sounds like the state board and legislature told NDSU that it had to build a new building on the main campus. *It just so happens that was the plan that NDSU presented to the board a couple of years ago for approval. *Yes, things have changed. *They found a different option that would cost less money and provide more space than if the new building was built. *In other words, anybody that is bitching about this now, is bitching about NDSU being prudent with their money.

Oh, and the kicker: total amount of taxpayer's money = $0.00

westriverbison
03-29-2007, 04:52 AM
North Dakota State University ignored the Legislature's explicit directions when it bought two downtown Fargo buildings last year for its business college and architecture department, senators say.

Sen. Randy Christmann, R-Hazen, described the action as "repulsive," while Sen. Joel Heitkamp, D-Hankinson, said it went "to the heart and soul" of legislators' misgivings about the budget authority that lawmakers have ceded to the state university system.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/state/131026.txt

Does anyone else think that some of the SBoHE memebers have their heads so far up their asses they can't see the sun?

Christman is an NDSU grad.

tony
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Uh, NDSU got permission from the State Board of Higher Education so they're not the problem. Elements in the legislature are the problem.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Legislature wants control of higher ed back, not because higher ed is being run badly but because they want the power back because they have their own agendas.

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota?

I kind of figured that Legislature power grab was on after the Potts v Chapman deal. Since then they have manufactured controversies about tuition waivers, travel costs, and now NDSU ignoring the "explicit *instructions" of the legislature by building a downtown campus. Basically, they are trotting out every excuse for taking back control of Higher Ed in preparation for a vote. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more legislative hissy fits.

Bison_Dan
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Uh, NDSU got permission from the State Board of Higher Education so they're not the problem. Elements in the legislature are the problem.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Legislature wants control of higher ed back, not because higher ed is being run badly but because they want the power back because they have their own agendas.

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota? *

I kind of figured that Legislature power grab was on after the Potts v Chapman deal. Since then they have manufactured controversies about tuition waivers, travel costs, and now NDSU ignoring the "explicit *instructions" of the legislature by building a downtown campus. Basically, they are trotting out every excuse for taking back control of Higher Ed in preparation for a vote. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more legislative hissy fits.

Here's the skinny on travel cost for NDSU: http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/161029

I hope someone reads this article to Bob from Tioga, because God knows he can't read.

IowaBisonToo
03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
State control of a university system probably isn't the wisest thing to do. Most of these people have no idea how a system like that works not to mention, they have so many other things to worry about and fund that a university system wouldn't get the time and effort they NEED in order to follow their mission.

Like Tony said, it's all about power.

BISON_Thunder
03-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota? *

This is the part I do not understand. President Chapman goes to the Board and requests permission to change things...and is given the okay to do so. Now, the legislature is pissed at him because he did not get their direct approval? Is there an institution over the legislature which needs to give approval too? In my opinion, some of the legislators (winning their districts with 27 votes) need to really get out more.

The jealousy of Fargo/NDSU from the rest of the state is readily apparent. As a Minnesota resident...let me be the first to invite you to build a Red River diversion and join our state. You would be welcome with open arms and shown appreciation, rather than ridiculed by some closed minded wannabes.

imabison
03-29-2007, 02:49 PM

This is the part I do not understand. *President Chapman goes to the Board and requests permission to change things...and is given the okay to do so. *Now, the legislature is pissed at him because he did not get their direct approval? *Is there an institution over the legislature which needs to give approval too? *In my opinion, some of the legislators (winning their districts with 27 votes) need to really get out more.

The jealousy of Fargo/NDSU from the rest of the state is readily apparent. *As a Minnesota resident...let me be the first to invite you to build a Red River diversion and join our state. *You would be welcome with open arms and shown appreciation, rather than ridiculed by some closed minded wannabes.

I recall a time in the past when the state of Minnesota was in deep debt that a radio station in Fargo called the governer of Minnesota to see if they wanted to build a Red River Diversion on the Minnesota side, and then sell Moorhead to Fargo.

Some of the state legislatures are just on a power struggle, and cannot see the light that someone else has better business sense than they do.

Bison101
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.

NorthernBison
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I laughed when I first read the story. *It sounds like the state board and legislature told NDSU that it had to build a new building on the main campus. *It just so happens that was the plan that NDSU presented to the board a couple of years ago for approval. *Yes, things have changed. *They found a different option that would cost less money and provide more space than if the new building was built. *In other words, anybody that is bitching about this now, is bitching about NDSU being prudent with their money.

Oh, and the kicker: *total amount of taxpayer's money = $0.00

Amen. ++++++

IowaBisonToo
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.
Why??? So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.

99Bison
03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Why??? So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.

Agreed, having a couple separate campuses in the same city will end up being a huge benfit. It streches the width and bredth of exposure and interaction.

westriverbison
03-29-2007, 09:15 PM

I agree 100%. That is probably Christman's problem with what happened. I know a lot of alumni and students who are not happy about the downtown campus. It will mess up schedules and parking.

TheBisonator
03-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Why??? *So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? *So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? *As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. *There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.

Agreed, having a couple separate campuses in the same city will end up being a huge benfit. It streches the width and bredth of exposure and interaction.

Also, probably the hugest benefit to having an expanded downtown campus will be the complete urban renewal and transformation of 10th Street. If you haven't seen the plans for 10th St., go to the downtown campus (1st floor) and check them out. They're amazing.

Hammersmith
03-30-2007, 02:17 AM
I'd love to see NDSU buy or build an apartment building downtown to use as a residence hall for Jr/Sr art, arch, & business students.

Also, I agree with Tony; these are the opening shots in a power play by some ND legislators. Time will tell whether they've got enough votes or political pull to add any bite to their barking.

tony
03-30-2007, 09:12 AM
NDSU: Plan adhered to law by Amy Dalrymple (http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/161148)

Seriously, if this is such a big deal, why didn't the SBOHE say, "Uh, don't ask us, you have to go to the legislature for this kind of thing?"

One thing for sure, in a state that is supposed to pride itself on straight talk, NDSU's Kieth Bjerke isn't going to make friends of these guys by saying, "They believe the Roundtable took away their ability to micromanage the system and they want it back." But, man, he is 100% right.

Hammersmith
03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
So... who wants to lay odds on which campus is going to be next on our august leaders' gripe-fest? I figure Mayville State is the front runner. I bet UND won't get off scot free either. I don't think that travel expense rant was enough for them. I think Christmann, Heitkamp and company will want to discredit as much of the NDUS as they can before this leg. session is over. Thank goodness we have such intelligent and wise leaders like them to look out for our best interests. [/sarcasm]

Bison101
03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Why??? *So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? *So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? *As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. *There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.

Ummm, its called College. you sleep in until the last second, barely make it to your first class which for fun we'll say is a psych class, hustle over to the business school for your next class, stop by the union grab a slice of pizza and chill for an hour with some friends, and then go to your last class of the day. Anyway, that is how it should be. Moving a key school such as the business school away from campus is a shame.

The only positive could be if they keep the original plans for the business school and eventually turn the space they have in downtown into MBA type programs and move the business school back to campus.

Half of the fun of college, is being on campus and meeting with friends etc. If I was a freshman, interested in a Business degree, I would not choose NDSU as it would pull me away from Campus.

insane_ponderer
03-30-2007, 06:44 PM
The distance from the highrises to the turf is roughly .66 miles

The distance from the turf to the Pioneer life building roughly 1.03 miles

I can't believe people are whining about this. I understand that it's great to be on campus and thats the point of college and the commute and buses will be terrible etc. but....

1. I really think that these kids are in for a rude awakening if they ever move anywhere and get a job that requires a real commute

2. I think the positives of having a community presence downtown as well as expanding the campus highly outweigh the negatives of a half mile shuttle ride and not being able to spend that extra 5 minutes of your day telling the guys about the weible chick you hooked up with the night before. ;)

westriverbison
03-30-2007, 08:36 PM
When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how l ong the commute is, it's when the commute is.

I know Sen. Christman very well. He is saying and doing what he thinksis best for NDSU.

Not everything Chapman\NDSU does is always right. IMO

IowaBison
03-30-2007, 08:49 PM
http://www.fmmetrocog.org/announcements/ndsu.pdf

bisonaudit
03-30-2007, 10:06 PM
When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how l ong the commute is, it's when the commute is.

I know Sen. Christman very well. *He is saying and doing what he thinksis best for NDSU.

Not everything Chapman\NDSU does is always right. *IMO

They're going to stager the schedule so everyone will have plenty of time to get where they're going.

If you're changing your major because of where your classes are located, you're already in the wrong major.

I refuse to listen to anyone in Fargo complain about their commute to school or work. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, there is no substantial congestion in Fargo. This is like listening to farmers bitch about all the money uncle sam is taking out of their pocket when, outside of defense, they work in the most heavily subsidised industry in the world. It's obsurd on it's face.

I'm happy Mr. Christman is following his heart on this one, he's welcome to his opinion.

I think that the downtown campus is another example, like the proposed arena, of how the city and University can partner for the good of both institutions. These changes are going to require some adjustments but in the end I think that the downtown campus is a positive thing.

If you've got young kids who you're planning on sending to NDSU and the means to do so, buy a condo downtown now, great investment in a revitalizing part of a growing community. Rent it out until you need it for the kids.

Hammersmith
03-30-2007, 11:32 PM
When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how long the commute is, it's when the commute is.
Just to reinforce what bisonaudit said, it'll be 40 minutes, not 10. How hard is it to figure out that the downtown campus will be 30 minutes offset from the main campus and that that's when the buses will run? Come on, it's little more than a mile between the campuses. If some faculty are going to leave because their offices and classes have been moved(faculty who, by the way, have never had a collective home before), then they have their priorities seriously out of whack. Ditto to audit's comments about the students, as well.

TheBisonator
03-30-2007, 11:41 PM
As an art (and former architecture) student, I challenge you to tell me ANY downside to the new location for the art program being located in that wonderful building downtown. I know most of you never went to this place when you were at NDSU, but the OLD ART QUONSETS were an embarrassment to the state's higher education system. It is now a 1 MILLION percent improvement we have now over the old piece of crap we used to have. Also, the fact that the building we have now is in very close proximity to the Plains Art Museum is another advantage. We now have the state's only accredited art museum within a 30-second walk of the downtown building, giving us the opportunity to push ahead of UND as the state's premiere art school.

And BTW, most college students nowadays have cars, and can drive down to the Downtown Campus area in about 3 minutes. I have been at NDSU for 4 years now, and I have known very few students here who do not have a car. The thing that actually needs to be changed is that students should be allowed to purchase parking passes for the NDSU Downtown lot instead of paying 3 bucks every time they park there for class.

WYOBISONMAN
03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I am a College of Business alumnus with an MBA, and I have to say that I very much dislike the decision to move the College of Business off campus. I have yet to hear a compelling reason to do this.

BisBison
03-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I am a College of Business alumnus with an MBA, and I have to say that I very much dislike the decision to move the College of Business off campus. *I have yet to hear a compelling reason to do this.

We save $3.5MM AND get 11,000 sq' more usable space. That's two pretty good reasons for ya. As has been stated elsewhere, fundraising has more or less hit the wall for this project, we need something now. Projected costs for the new building keep going up (last estimate $17MM), so without a new fundraising push the building originally planned for the on-campus location may already be out of reach. I'd rather save the money on bricks and mortar and have money left for the needed technology.
Ideally I'd be with you, I too would rather be on campus, but for now let's get the college a home and grow programs and enrollment. It's not as far from campus as people might think. From the alumni center building on University it's closer to the proposed business bldg than it is to the classrooms in the CandleWood Suites Motel in the Tech Park. With the bus service and offset class schedule, I'm thinking this is a very workable solution for our Business College.
Nothing is saying we can't put something on campus in the future and use the downtown campus for evening classes, graduate courses, or continuing ed where the downtown location is actually superior to a campus location. BTW I am a College of Business alumnus as well, so have been following these developments with a keen eye.

insane_ponderer
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
I think beyond the cost and space benefits, just the integration of campus and downtown is a good thing. I would consider the current downtown campus a success (someone correct me if i am wrong).

The ability to help restore the luster of downtown, integrate our fine institution into the heart of Fargo, and provide quality buildings and classrooms for our students are all positives.

The whole distance/commute thing just doesn't fly with me for numerous reasons, but there are two that I think have yet to be pointed out.

1. If you continue to expand campus, it's going to get huge. It is already a large campus based on area, pretty soon the walk just from one end of campus to the other is going to be impossible between classes. We need to expand in other places. Housing and parking on and around campus is already a bit cramped and eventually we just aren't going to have many options left. I think this is a excellent move for the future.

2. A lot of students live closer to the downtown campus than actual campus, or at least directly in between. If you think of students living off campus, where do they typically live, on university and south of 12th ave. There are many that are making the move to south fargo with all the new apt. complexes going up as well, and hopefully as housing becomes more available/affordable, students will also move into the downtown area.

WYOBISONMAN
03-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I am a College of Business alumnus with an MBA, and I have to say that I very much dislike the decision to move the College of Business off campus. *I have yet to hear a compelling reason to do this.

We save $3.5MM AND get 11,000 sq' more usable space. That's two pretty good reasons for ya. As has been stated elsewhere, fundraising has more or less hit the wall for this project, we need something now. Projected costs for the new building keep going up (last estimate $17MM), so without a new fundraising push the building originally planned for the on-campus location may already be out of reach. I'd rather save the money on bricks and mortar and have money left for the needed technology.
Ideally I'd be with you, I too would rather be on campus, but for now let's get the college a home and grow programs and enrollment. It's not as far from campus as people might think. From the alumni center building on University it's closer to the proposed business bldg than it is to the classrooms in the CandleWood Suites Motel in the Tech Park. With the bus service and offset class schedule, I'm thinking this is a very workable solution for our Business College.
Nothing is saying we can't put something on campus in the future and use the downtown campus for evening classes, graduate courses, or continuing ed where the downtown location is actually superior to a campus location. BTW I am a College of Business alumnus as well, so have been following these developments with a keen eye.

For me, none of that logic overrides the importance of keeping the campus community together. *I think it is great to have space where classes can be offered that are convenient to the business community, but the entire relocation of an academic college to an off campus site is a bad move.

I think that this move will hurt NDSU and the College of Business. *As I said, I have yet to hear a compelling argument that would get me to support this move.

insane_ponderer
03-31-2007, 08:55 PM
[quote author=WYOBISONMAN link=1175135621/15#27 date=1175351347]I am a College of Business alumnus with an MBA, and I have to say that I very much dislike the decision to move the College of Business off campus. *I have yet to hear a compelling reason to do this.

For me, none of that logic overrides the importance of keeping the campus community together. *I think it is great to have space where classes can be offered that are convenient to the business community, but the entire relocation of an academic college to an off campus site is a bad move.

I think that this move will hurt NDSU and the College of Business. *As I said, I have yet to hear a compelling argument that would get me to support this move.

He isn't convinced yet. BRING MORE SCOTCH !!! :)

tony
03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
You can disagree with NDSU's decision to move the college downtown while at the same time rejoicing that people who sincerely want what's best for NDSU were able to make it rather than having everything micro-mismanaged by Legislature. After all, it was these stalwart defenders of the public good who sat around with thumbs up their asses while buildings literally fell apart at NDSU.

WYOBISONMAN
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
You can disagree with NDSU's decision to move the college downtown while at the same time rejoicing that people who sincerely want what's best for NDSU were able to make it rather than having everything micro-mismanaged by Legislature. After all, it was these stalwart defenders of the public good who sat around with thumbs up their asses while buildings literally fell apart at NDSU.

I agree totally that the legislature for the most part is incompetent. *Good grief.....while I was home this week they (local legislators) were rejoicing about the chokecherry being named the state fruit......kinda like Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

Yes, In no way should NDSU be given any static for a decision approved by the State Board.....I just think Joe was way off on the decision.....

kchats
04-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Saved alot of money and like many have said as NDSU grows they can build the on campus building for the College of Business but this works quite well for the time being. It also opens up the after work evening opportunities for working people to take classes and earn their MBA.

Everybody on here seems to think NDSU has this big huge spicket that they can turn on anytime they want and the money will just pour out. Hey let's build a new arena off the FargoDome, let's build a new building on campus for the College of Business when their is an option that is financially better and also better for the City of Fargo, let's think about building a new football stadium that seats 30,000, let's build build build. Turn on that spicket and watch that money run. ;)

WYOBISONMAN
04-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Saved alot of money and like many have said as NDSU grows they can build the on campus building for the College of Business but this works quite well for the time being. *It also opens up the after work evening opportunities for working people to take classes and earn their MBA.

Everybody on here seems to think NDSU has this big huge spicket that they can turn on anytime they want and the money will just pour out. *Hey let's build a new arena off the FargoDome, let's build a new building on campus for the College of Business when their is an option that is financially better and also better for the City of Fargo, let's think about building a new football stadium that seats 30,000, let's build build build. *Turn on that spicket and watch that money run. ;)

You don't neet to move the entire academic college off campus to make an evening MBA program accessible for part time students. ::)

TheBisonator
04-01-2007, 01:21 AM
I can't say myself whether or not the move downtown will be good for the bisoness students, but I do know that it has been an awesome move for the art and architecture students. When I was speaking before, I was talking about art and architecture, not business. Maybe business will be different, I don't know.

sambini
04-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Well said Tony++++

tony
04-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Hehe, I have a new plan:

1. Move the College of Business downtown.
2: ???
3: Profit!!!

Did I mention that I went to the Underpants Gnomes College of Business Plan Making? I'm guessing the only thing that point 2 could be is "Wait until property values skyrocket in downtown Fargo and then sell and use the Profit!!! to rebuild on campus. I have commenced holding my breath.

In case the underpants gnomes have not been referenced enough on bisonville, here is a linkie to explain all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underpants_Gnomes

BTW, the Spectrum has an article about this: Linkie (http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/news/07spring/4_03_07_news_senator.html). However, you can read the almost identical story Here at Bismarck Tribune (http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/state/131026.txt). I'm thinking the Spectrum better change that byline to give the AP credit.

Anyway, the reason I am bringing this up, is that according the Spectrum piece, "An open forum will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 18 in Loftsgard 114 addressing the college of agribusiness and applied economics downtown."

99Bison
04-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Saved alot of money and like many have said as NDSU grows they can build the on campus building for the College of Business but this works quite well for the time being. It also opens up the after work evening opportunities for working people to take classes and earn their MBA.

Everybody on here seems to think NDSU has this big huge spicket that they can turn on anytime they want and the money will just pour out. Hey let's build a new arena off the FargoDome, let's build a new building on campus for the College of Business when their is an option that is financially better and also better for the City of Fargo, let's think about building a new football stadium that seats 30,000, let's build build build. Turn on that spicket and watch that money run. ;)

and you try to continually inform everyone that money doesn't grow on tree's ::) ::) and we all laugh happily ever after ;D ;D

kchats
04-05-2007, 04:02 AM
I thought I told you it came out of a spicket. ;) I don't remember mentioning trees. ;)

99Bison
04-05-2007, 04:35 AM
I think tree's were in the first 50 somewhere :-)

kchats
04-06-2007, 02:37 AM
If your pipes are big enough you can get more money out of a spicket. ;) The way some talk on here money that grows on trees wouldn't be enough to cover all the honey dews. :o ::)

Bison"FANatic"
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=193018

With the college shootings why would someone bring a gun even if it is a toy into a college building. Doesn't sound like the guy was a pillar of society. I guess we will find out more info later on.

TheBisonator
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I just arrived at the downtown building. I was supposed to have a painting class critique at 2pm, and I was surprised that the doors were locked, and I had to use my card to get in. I was surprised when I heard about it just a few minutes ago when I saw cops in the lobby. They're letting students with card access in the building now, so I'm actually in the building. The real scary shit is that guy was walking around the building last night in the middle of the night, at the EXACT SAME TIME I was in the 3rd floor painting studio finishing my project between about 12pm and 6am. I thought something might have been up when one of the night security guys was walking around the floors late last night and I ran into him a couple times, wondering why he was walking around instead of sitting at the front desk like he usually does.

In either case, it's good to know everything's fine now.

imabison
02-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I just arrived at the downtown building. I was supposed to have a painting class critique at 2pm, and I was surprised that the doors were locked, and I had to use my card to get in. I was surprised when I heard about it just a few minutes ago when I saw cops in the lobby. They're letting students with card access in the building now, so I'm actually in the building. The real scary shit is that guy was walking around the building last night in the middle of the night, at the EXACT SAME TIME I was in the 3rd floor painting studio finishing my project between about 12pm and 6am. I thought something might have been up when one of the night security guys was walking around the floors late last night and I ran into him a couple times, wondering why he was walking around instead of sitting at the front desk like he usually does.

In either case, it's good to know everything's fine now.
I would think we should take some sense of calm in the fact that in your case the Security Guard was checking it out, and this morning a Janitor reported it to Security, who alerted police.

Is is enough? If the guy this morning was carrying a pistol and meant to do harm at that time he would have been in the building. I would guess this will induce added security to the building. Access cards photo ids etc.

Times are changing.

TheBisonator
02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I would think we should take some sense of calm in the fact that in your case the Security Guard was checking it out, and this morning a Janitor reported it to Security, who alerted police.

Is is enough? If the guy this morning was carrying a pistol and meant to do harm at that time he would have been in the building. I would guess this will induce added security to the building. Access cards photo ids etc.

Times are changing.

The thing I don't get is how the guy got into the building if he entered after 5pm, cause he wasn't a student, let alone an art or architecture student. Only students who actually have a class inside the building on their class schedule are given card access. Otherwise, probably some student naively opened the door for him.

BisonBabe
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
I am very glad that everyone inside the building and surrounding area were not harmed.

So much crazieness going on these days it was bound to hit us eventually.

roadwarrior
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
A front page article in today's Forum.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=210623&section=news

Pictures:

http://www.in-forum.com/photography/gallery.cfm?id=1256##

99Bison
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
A front page article in today's Forum.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=210623&section=news

Pictures:

http://www.in-forum.com/photography/gallery.cfm?id=1256##

Great for ndsu and downtown...

pmp6nl
08-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Looking great!

sambini
08-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Fantastic for NDSU and downtown Fargo+++

roadwarrior
08-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Hammersmith posted this in another thread, but I thought it should have it's own topic:

NDSU is partnering with Bullingers/Cityscapes to add downtown housing. It will be where that old movie theater/church is and site prep should begin very soon. My feelings are a bit mixed on this because I hoped that lot could become a performing arts center in 5-10 years with the NDSU music and theatre departments next door or across the street. Still, the living space is needed now and there are plenty of other lots in that area.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=213129&section=Columnists&columnist=John%20Lamb

roadwarrior
08-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't think that property in itself would be large enough for a performing arts center, and it's about time something else gets built on that site. The Lark Theater was cool in its day, but that corner has been an eyesore for way too many years.

Bisonguy
09-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Sounds like the retail/NDSU housing got the go-ahead at the City Commission meeting tonight along with the Fargodome expansion.

roadwarrior
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Klai Hall was dedicated today on the downtown campus. Not quite ready for students, but I'm sure they will be in there spring semester. A large crowd was on hand for the dedication and tour.

extremerouge
10-05-2008, 10:23 PM
It looks great!

Hammersmith
10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
260 freshmen still in hotels. Could cost NDSU almost $1 million by the end of the year.

Hotel hot tub not worth commute (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=218695&section=news)

Do you think NDSU is secretly pleased with the situation? News stories like this could really help when campus officals go to the Leg. and ask for permission to build more apartments and residence halls. I was a little worried that the Leg. wasn't going to allow it if NDSU asked because of Bison Court and the two LLCs being built so recently. Maybe the campus can finally start replacing University Village.

imabison
10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
260 freshmen still in hotels. Could cost NDSU almost $1 million by the end of the year.

Hotel hot tub not worth commute (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=218695&section=news)

Do you think NDSU is secretly pleased with the situation? News stories like this could really help when campus officals go to the Leg. and ask for permission to build more apartments and residence halls. I was a little worried that the Leg. wasn't going to allow it if NDSU asked because of Bison Court and the two LLCs being built so recently. Maybe the campus can finally start replacing University Village.
If Measures 1 and 2 get voted in you can say goodbye to any possible housing expansions.

Gene Taylor addressed it at the Team Makers luncheon yesterday. NSDU could lose $ 18 million next biennium.

bisonaudit
10-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I haven't been following closely because I'm not a local anymore but at first blush 1 and 2 don't seems too smart to me. Look around at the rest of the country and the rest of the developed world. An economic storm is here. It hasn't hit the upper mid west because you've been living high on food prices and a farm property bubble, but this is a catergory 5 storm and no one is going to get through unscathed. Put that money in an emergency fund the storm surge is coming your way and you'll need the levy.

Hammersmith
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
If Measures 1 and 2 get voted in you can say goodbye to any possible housing expansions.

Gene Taylor addressed it at the Team Makers luncheon yesterday. NSDU could lose $ 18 million next biennium.

Would housing be affected by that? I think new housing is self sufficient and the state just needs to approve it, not pay for it.

That being said, I will also be voting against Measures 1 & 2. I'm not totally against the idea of oil lockbox, but Measure 1 is the wrong way to go about it IMO. Locking 80% of the yearly revenue is too much, and requiring 75% approval from both houses to access the remaining 20% is ludicrous. And Measure 2 is an even worse idea.

imabison
10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Would housing be affected by that? I think new housing is self sufficient and the state just needs to approve it, not pay for it.

That being said, I will also be voting against Measures 1 & 2. I'm not totally against the idea of oil lockbox, but Measure 1 is the wrong way to go about it IMO. Locking 80% of the yearly revenue is too much, and requiring 75% approval from both houses to access the remaining 20% is ludicrous. And Measure 2 is an even worse idea.
Personally the impression I got from Gene Taylor talking yesterday that ALL NDSU would be effected by the measure. You may be rigth on the specific housing issue , I would not know how the funding works.

Give Gene a call, or send him an email, I am sure he will respond on this issue.

They are working on a Team Makers email to go out also.

bisonaudit
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
After a little reading I feel better about measure 1. That's a finite source of income so if you let it all run into the general fund or are allowed to raid the existing oil tax reserve fund willy-nilly, you're setting yourself up for a hard landing. The first $100 million apparently would be available for general spending, an increase over the $70ish that currently goes to the general fund, but then, beyond that it gets much more difficult for the legislature to access the principle. I like the concept but I'm not sure how much pain you're in for on the front end becuase I wasn't able to find historical numbers on what revenues typically are and how much legislative dipping into the cookie jar has occured to date. So, I'm not convinced that the $100 million is the right number, but I like the general idea. This is just me, but if I were King of North Dakota for a day I'd be spending all that 'found' oil money on renewables. I understand that the higher ed board is opposed presumably because they see themselves getting a good sized piece of this unexpeced pie for infrastructure improvements and deferred maintenance. I can understand that but it does not strike me as a sustainable solution to their long term problem.

Measure 2 is a disaster and should be voted down.

Bison bison
10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

With all due respect, I call bullsh#t on that one.

Developments are bonded, if they can justify it on paper it really doesn't matter what the state revenue is (not really, but kinda).

Personally, I'm all for Measure 1. There is a reason for rainy day funds. For those of you who are missing it the North Dakota economy couldn't be doing any better.

But you know what, it ain't gonna last. The price of oil is falling faster than NDSU in the rankings. Below $60 and all that hullabaloo out on the range is done. Part and parcel with this is production agriculture. Prices appear to be returning to some semblance of normalcy, but input prices will lag and those with poor foresight are going to get pinched.

You spend now when things go bad in 3-5 years and ND will be suckin' hind tit. Saw the same thing happen in Iowa 8 years ago. Times are good. Make promises, cut taxes. Economy changes and ouch, ouch, ouch.

I'm all for a TIE (transportation, infrastructure, education) fund with all proceeds going to capital projects.

imabison
10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
With all due respect, I call bullsh#t on that one.

Developments are bonded, if they can justify it on paper it really doesn't matter what the state revenue is (not really, but kinda).

Personally, I'm all for Measure 1. There is a reason for rainy day funds. For those of you who are missing it the North Dakota economy couldn't be doing any better.

But you know what, it ain't gonna last. The price of oil is falling faster than NDSU in the rankings. Below $60 and all that hullabaloo out on the range is done. Part and parcel with this is production agriculture. Prices appear to be returning to some semblance of normalcy, but input prices will lag and those with poor foresight are going to get pinched.

You spend now when things go bad in 3-5 years and ND will be suckin' hind tit. Saw the same thing happen in Iowa 8 years ago. Times are good. Make promises, cut taxes. Economy changes and ouch, ouch, ouch.

I'm all for a TIE (transportation, infrastructure, education) fund with all proceeds going to capital projects.
Dont shoot the messenger. Call Gene Taylor, and he will give you all the figures on it. He had them all at the luncheon yesterday.

Article in the forum indcates that all the oil revenue is now going to fall with the drop on prices.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=218742

It will be in the forum tomorrow.

bisonmike2
10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Do they still have the rule require all freshman to live in dorms? It's a great experience and all but that could alleviate alot of pressure right there.

Bison bison
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
i don't see how that would stop a needed building paid for with bonding to be started.

-i guess i should state the reason.

the sbohe wants an increase in base funding of 120 million and one time spending of 135 million. that would be a base increase of 30%! a total increase of 70%!

SDbison
10-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Don't think I need to talk to our athletic director to understand the situation.

hoeven's preliminary budget was very generous. maybe now it won't be so much. i don't see how that would stop a needed building paid for with bonding to be started.

and don't forget that Hoeven wanted nearly 500 million the last biennium, the legislature gave him 387 million. (and certainly don't forget that ND is #2 in per capita higher education spending.)
Rest assured if the school to the north was growing leaps and bounds the legislature would be tripping over themselves to help fund construction of new dorms.

Hammersmith
08-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't know how many of you were following it, but the Forum ran a four-part series on the Downtown Campus that wrapped up today. Here's eveything that was posted on the web.

Day 1:
Story: NDSU aims to stay unified as it grows (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/249992/)
Sidebar: About Richard H. Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/249996/)
Graphic: NDSU and downtown Fargo (http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0816%20Downtown%20map%20web.pdf)
Graphic: Distances to NDSU points (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266168/headline/Graphic:%20Distances%20to%20NDSU%20points/)
Photo: Cityscapes Plaza building (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266169/headline/Cityscapes%20Plaza%20building/)
Photo: Apartments in Cityscapes Plaza (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266171/headline/Apartments%20in%20Cityscapes%20Plaza%20/)
Photo: Richard H. Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266170/headline/Richard%20H.%20Barry%20Hall/)
Photo: NDSU President Joseph Chapman in Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266167/headline/NDSU%20President%20Joseph%20Chapman%20in%20Barry%2 0Hall/)
Photo: The 280-seat auditorium (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266172/headline/The%20280-seat%20auditorium/)

Day 2:
Story: Downtown businesses hope for boost from NDSU (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250051/)
Interactive Map: Downtown Fargo business guide (http://www.inforum.com/pages/biz_guide)
Photo: Downtown businesses near Cityscapes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266180/headline/Downtown%20businesses%20near%20Cityscapes/)
Photo: Matt Oland of Orange Records (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266178/headline/Matt%20Oland%20of%20Orange%20Records/)

Day 3:
Story: Students squeeze, developers swarm (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250173/)
Interactive Map: Cityscapes (http://www.inforum.com/pages/biz_guide)
Interactive Map: Fargo Renaissance Zone (http://www.inforum.com/pages/renaissance_zone)
Photo: Moving in (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266205/headline/Moving%20in/)

Day 4:
Story: Herd to bus, bike, hoof it (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250263/)
Graphic: Bus Routes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266248/headline/bus%20routes/)
Graphic: Bike Routes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266249/headline/bike%20routes/)
Photo: Buses (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266247/headline/Buses/)

tony
03-02-2019, 11:08 AM
I merged about 8 threads about NDSU's downtown campus.

RIP TheBisonator, slayer of chicken wings and friend I never got to meet.

Sec22
03-02-2019, 07:53 PM
I don't know how many of you were following it, but the Forum ran a four-part series on the Downtown Campus that wrapped up today. Here's eveything that was posted on the web.

Day 1:
Story: NDSU aims to stay unified as it grows (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/249992/)
Sidebar: About Richard H. Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/249996/)
Graphic: NDSU and downtown Fargo (http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0816%20Downtown%20map%20web.pdf)
Graphic: Distances to NDSU points (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266168/headline/Graphic:%20Distances%20to%20NDSU%20points/)
Photo: Cityscapes Plaza building (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266169/headline/Cityscapes%20Plaza%20building/)
Photo: Apartments in Cityscapes Plaza (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266171/headline/Apartments%20in%20Cityscapes%20Plaza%20/)
Photo: Richard H. Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266170/headline/Richard%20H.%20Barry%20Hall/)
Photo: NDSU President Joseph Chapman in Barry Hall (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266167/headline/NDSU%20President%20Joseph%20Chapman%20in%20Barry%2 0Hall/)
Photo: The 280-seat auditorium (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266172/headline/The%20280-seat%20auditorium/)

Day 2:
Story: Downtown businesses hope for boost from NDSU (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250051/)
Interactive Map: Downtown Fargo business guide (http://www.inforum.com/pages/biz_guide)
Photo: Downtown businesses near Cityscapes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266180/headline/Downtown%20businesses%20near%20Cityscapes/)
Photo: Matt Oland of Orange Records (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266178/headline/Matt%20Oland%20of%20Orange%20Records/)

Day 3:
Story: Students squeeze, developers swarm (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250173/)
Interactive Map: Cityscapes (http://www.inforum.com/pages/biz_guide)
Interactive Map: Fargo Renaissance Zone (http://www.inforum.com/pages/renaissance_zone)
Photo: Moving in (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266205/headline/Moving%20in/)

Day 4:
Story: Herd to bus, bike, hoof it (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250263/)
Graphic: Bus Routes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266248/headline/bus%20routes/)
Graphic: Bike Routes (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266249/headline/bike%20routes/)
Photo: Buses (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/266247/headline/Buses/)

These links all return 404 error.

Hammersmith
03-02-2019, 08:09 PM

That post was from 9.5 years ago.

Bison bison
03-02-2019, 10:16 PM
The internet sucks.

Now stone tablets. Those suckers stood up to the test of time.

GreenfieldBison
03-03-2019, 12:42 AM
The internet sucks.

That’s is really indisputable. But you better get them right on the first edit...

Tony Almeida
03-03-2019, 01:47 AM
The internet sucks.

That’s is really indisputable. But you better get them right on the first edit...Short convo, nevertheless it's funny.

EC8CH
03-03-2019, 01:59 AM
The internet sucks.

Yeah until they crumble into dust and melt your face off

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8dad842ecb6b5b8da0d45cce9262035a/tenor.gif?itemid=3579922

westnodak93bison
03-03-2019, 02:47 PM
The internet sucks.

Now stone tablets. Those suckers stood up to the test of time.Wiki leaks has it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
03-06-2019, 02:05 PM

If you subscribe to The Forum you can browse all of their archives online.