PDA

View Full Version : Engineering students win 3rd national title

somebison
06-05-2004, 03:13 PM
A six-man team from NDSU took first place in the 13th annual National Student Steel Bridge Competition, sponsored by the American Institute of Steel Construction.

(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=59405&section=News)

Tatanka
06-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Congratulations to the Steel Bridge team! It's nice to finally see something like this get some recognition in the Forum as well!

tony
06-07-2004, 07:22 PM
A different perspective:

UC Davis Angle (http://www.californiaaggie.com/article/?id=4799)

Bison_Dan
06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Congratulations to the Steel Bridge team! *It's nice to finally see something like this get some recognition in the Forum as well!

The Forum sucks when it comes to informing it's readers about all the rewards that the engineering school receives. It gives lip service on page 13 and little else. If the school up North would have received that award it would have been front page and 10 times longer. ???

IowaBison
06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
A different perspective:

UC Davis Angle (http://www.californiaaggie.com/article/?id=4799)

great post, i too missed the part in the forum article where they referred to NDSU as a perrenial powerhouse

Herd_Mentality
06-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Well this is the same paper that dedicated 3/4 of the front page to the Shania Twain Concert on Sunday when Saturday was a pretty newsworthy day. I was pretty shocked that the arrest of the suspect in the Dahlquist murder only made page A24.

Bisonguy
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Well this is the same paper that dedicated 3/4 of the front page to the Shania Twain Concert on Sunday when Saturday was a pretty newsworthy day. *I was pretty shocked that the arrest of the suspect in the Dahlquist murder only made page A24.

No kidding. They didn't even run a picture of Shania in the Bison jersey or mention that it raised over $1,000 for the Great Plains Food Bank -http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1257

IowaBison
06-07-2004, 09:52 PM
i thought shania wearing the bison jersey with the number 1 on it was great, though i'd also pay to see a picture of george jones drunk wearing UND jersey with 'DII' on it

Bisonguy
06-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Back to the topic- Being called a powerhouse by a school as academically strong as UCD is quite the compliment.

Where was the *cough* biggest engineering department between Minneapolis and the west coast? ::)

bisonranch
06-07-2004, 11:24 PM
One more on the Shania topic, was there a picture of Shania in the Bison jersey? I'd love to see the faces on my co-workers from other schools if that were on my desktop.

SU engineering students winning again doesn't surprise me, but the school doesn't get the recognition is deserves for all the engineering accomplishments there are. The lack of support always amazes me.

Bisonguy
06-07-2004, 11:28 PM
One more on the Shania topic, was there a picture of Shania in the Bison jersey? *I'd love to see the faces on my co-workers from other schools if that were on my desktop. *

Ask, and ye shall receive (although I posted the link earlier in this thread *;D)

Shania in a Bison Jersey (http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1257)

bisonranch
06-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Ask, and ye shall receive (although I posted the link earlier in this thread *;D)

Thanks Bisonguy. My bad, I'll read slower next time.

somebison
06-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Thanks Bisonguy. *My bad, I'll read slower next time.

don't worry, Bisonguy likes padding his overall post lead ;) ;D

Bisonguy
06-08-2004, 03:24 AM
don't worry, Bisonguy likes padding his overall post lead ;) ;D

Just trying to see what comes after, "Named their first son Rocky" ;D

jackmd
06-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Just trying to see what comes after, "Named their first son Rocky" *;D

I figured after 2000 posts they just give you the SID job. I lived with 5 engineering students at SDSU and to me it would be no suprise if 90% of the posters on this board and the SDSU board are engineering grads. I will hold my tongue at this point.

IowaBison
06-09-2004, 09:00 PM
nope, i'm an economist (aka financial engineer)

Tatanka
06-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Saw today in the Forum (of all places) that no other institution has won this competition more than once!

Just out of curiosity, what did UND's "engineering" department contribute to this event? How did they do? We all know (as it proudly says on their literature) that they "not only TEACH engineering", they "DO engineering". So they must have done well... ::)

Bisonguy
06-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Here's the article:

PRAIRIE ROSES: To a six-man team of North Dakota State University engineering students who took first place in the 13th annual National Student Steel Bridge Competition, sponsored by the American Institute of Steel Construction. They beat out 43 three other colleges and became the third NDSU team to win the competition.

No other school has won it more than once, which speaks highly of NDSU's engineering program. Ken Kellogg, assistant profession of civil engineering and the team's faculty adviser, says team members spent thousands of hours designing and building the 105-pound bridge.

The team included captain Mitch Okeson, a graduate student from Detroit Lakes, Minn.; seniors and twin brothers Jeremy and Jesse Freihammer, both of Baxter, Minn.; senior David Blommel of Willmar, Minn.; junior Brian Lintgen of St. Cloud, Minn.; and sophomore Nathan Hoffmann of Leeds, N.D.

This year's team, which took home a trophy and cash award, paid $1,300 for the specially-made steel needed to create the 26-foot-long, two-span bridge that can safely carry 2,500 pounds. Congratulations to members of the team.

Forum editorials represent the opinion of Forum

management and the newspaper's Editorial Board