PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits name new Baseball Coach

89rabbit
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Today the Jackrabbits named University of Kansas Assistant Coach Reggie Christiansen as the next Head Coach of South Dakota State University's Baseball team. He becomes only the 5th head coach in the programs 57 year history. Prior to becoming an assistant coach for the Jayhawks, Reggie was head coach at his alma mater Menlow College in Atherton, CA.

http://www.kuathletics.com/baseball/coaches/mugs/Christiansen_Reggie.jpg

Congratulations to Coach Christiansen. ;D

maverick
07-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Who cares??????? SDSU has a baseball program??
When is the last time they won anything? Maybe they should get Big Fred, I heard he can hit pretty good.

89rabbit
07-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Here is what the University of Kansas thinks of our new coach.

http://www.kuathletics.com/baseball/releases/07_19_04.html

Reggie Christiansen Named Head Coach at South Dakota State
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- After helping the Kansas baseball program to back-to-back 30 win seasons for only the third time in program history, . . .assistant coach Reggie Christiansen was selected on Monday as the new head coach at South Dakota State University. The Jackrabbit baseball program will be joining the NCAA Division I ranks in the upcoming season.

Christiansen, a native of Ferndale, Cailf., joined the Jayhawks staff with head coach Ritch Price prior to the 2003 season and has severed the team in a variety of roles, including being in charge of the team's hitters, outfielders and coaching first base. Before coming to KU, Christiansen was the head baseball coach at Menlo College in California.

"I'm thrilled for Reggie and for his opportunity to become a head coach at the Division I level," Price said of the hire. "I compliment South Dakota State on their terrific hire of one of the finest young coaches in the country. Reggie has had a tremendous impact on our program. Everyone associated with KU baseball -- including all the coaches and players -- will miss him greatly. We wish him success in the future, not only because is he an outstanding coach, but an outstanding person. Reggie is the perfect person to lead South Dakota State to the Division I level."

Under his instruction, Kansas players broke several school records and were honored by the Big 12 Conference for their outstanding performances. Last season, Jayhawk hitters batted .316 at the plate, the fourth highest season team total in KU baseball history. Also in 2004, the 'Hawks shattered the team home run record with 74 long balls, breaking the previous mark of 63 by the 1993 team, and set a new school record with 697 hits in one season. The Jayhawks led the Big 12 in hitting and finished fourth in the conference in team fielding with a .972 mark. Individually, sophomore center fielder Matt Baty became the school's first All-Big 12 first team selection and junior Travis Metcalf broke the KU single season home run record by hitting 18 round trippers during the regular season.

"I am excited about the opportunity to become a head coach at the Division I level," Christiansen commented. "My time at Kansas and in the Big 12 Conference have helped to prepare me for the challenge ahead. This is an exciting time for South Dakota State baseball and I am looking forward to building a quality Division I program."

Go State! ;D

P.S. I am ignoring the smack on the non-smack thread by the fan from the lesser school. If you want to know how SDSU has done, look it up. You will be surprised. :o