PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Flyer Miles for Soccer Team

Bisonguy
06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Looks like the women's soccer team will be racking up the frequent flyer miles this year. It seems a little strange to see some of these teams on the schedule, until you realize that NDSU is in the same division with them ;D.
From-http://www.gobison.com/news/index.cgi?id=1267

2004 Schedule Takes the North Dakota State Soccer Squad on the Road

2004-06-24

FARGO, ND--With the exception of two home exhibition matches in mid-August, the North Dakota State University women's soccer team will become "road warriors" in its first season as a Division I program.

On August 27, when the Bison kick off the 2004 season at IPFW, a stretch of 17-straight road matches will begin. In addition, the schedule will include 15 Division I opponents, adding another degree of difficulty to the mix.

(PHOTO ID: Jessica Rodgers is one of seven starters returning from last year's Bison soccer squad.)

"I honestly think that we are going to be very competitive. I think our schedule plays in our favor," said NDSU head coach Pete Cuadrado, in his second year at the helm of the Bison.

Last season, Cuadrado guided NDSU to an 11-3-2 record. Having been an assistant coach at the Division I level in previous years, he knows what it takes to win.

With the return of seven starters, the Bison have a good core back from last year's team. Leading the way offensively is junior forward Jessica Rodgers (Spearfish, SD), who led NDSU in assists (15), points (31) and was tied for the team high in goals (8) in 2003. Sophomore midfielder Jessica Parker (Winnipeg, MB) scored eight goals last season, including three game-winners. Both players were All-NCC second team selections.

Defensively, senior Brooke Hartman (Victoria, MN) leads a strong group that only allowed 16 goals in 2003. Hartman, who was also an All-NCC second team pick, tallied a goal and an assist. Erin Ellsworth, a sophomore defender from Lakeville, MN, returns after scoring a goal and notching three assists last season. Sophomore Jessica Nei (St. Cloud, MN) had a 0.98 goals-against average and posted seven shutouts in goal for North Dakota State.

The Bison have only played three of its 2004 opponents in previous seasons. Northern Colorado, a former member of the NCC, holds a 1-6-0 advantage over NDSU. North Dakota State holds a 2-1-1 edge over rival South Dakota State, also in its first year of Division I soccer. The Bison also travel to Drury University (MO), who holds a 1-0-0 advantage in the series.

The Bison will be tested early, hooking up with Big Ten-power Wisconsin on Sept. 10. NDSU will also meet Minnesota in the latter stages of the season on Oct. 24. A three-match trip to Indiana is also scheduled for Oct. 8-11, as North Dakota State will meet up with Valparaiso University, IUPUI and Butler University.

Another trip will take NDSU to the West Coast, where the Bison will take on UC Davis and Cal State-Hayward on Nov. 5-7. North Dakota State will also compete in two tournaments this season. The first will take place Sept. 24-26 in Omaha, NE, at the Bluejay Classic. The Bison will take on Creighton, then SDSU two days later.

The Bison will also participate at the Best Western Regency Northern Colorado Classic Oct. 15-17, meeting UNC and Carroll College (WI). NDSU will also meet Wisconsin-Green Bay, Western Illinois, Northern Iowa and Drake in 2004.

2004 North Dakota State Soccer Schedule
Date Opponent Location Time
Aug. 27 IPFW Fort Wayne, IN 7:00 pm
Aug. 29 Wisconsin-Green Bay Green Bay, WI 12:00 pm
Sept. 3 Western Illinois Macomb, IL 7:00 pm
Sept. 5 Drury University Springfield, MO 12:00 pm
Sept. 10 Wisconsin Madison, WI 7:00 pm
Sept. 12 Northern Iowa Cedar Rapids, IA 1:00 pm
Sept. 24 Creighton University Omaha, NE 7:00 pm
Sept. 26 South Dakota State Omaha, NE 2:00 pm
Oct. 8 Valparaiso University Valparaiso, IN 4:00 pm
Oct. 10 IUPUI Indianapolis, IN 12:00 pm
Oct. 11 Butler University Indianapolis, IN 3:30 pm
Oct. 15 Carroll College Greeley, CO 1:00 pm
Oct. 17 Northern Colorado Greeley, CO 1:00 pm
Oct. 22 Drake University Des Moines, IA 7:00 pm
Oct. 24 Minnesota Minneapolis, MN 1:00 pm
Nov. 5 UC Davis Davis, CA 4:00 pm
Nov. 7 Cal State-Hayward Hayward, CA 12:00 pm

All times LOCAL

roadwarrior
06-24-2004, 11:24 PM
1234 should be happy, there are a couple of Mid-Con teams on the schedule ;D

JBB
06-25-2004, 01:04 AM
I noticed that a lot of schools on that list are showing up on other schedules too. *We might be starting to see some of our regular match ups begining to emerge. Some are new. Its an interesting schedule.

BisonMav
06-25-2004, 01:14 AM
There is a Mid-Con flavor developing so far with the Soccer and Volleyball Schedules. Shape of things to come?

OCBison
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I see at least 6 wins on the schedule and that's not including Minnesota, which given the current state of disarray associated with that program might be another win for the Bison.

The wins are IPFW, Western Illinois, UWGB, SDSU, Carroll College and IUPUI.

OCBison
08-29-2004, 03:30 AM
I see at least 6 wins on the schedule and that's not including Minnesota, which given the current state of disarray associated with that program might be another win for the Bison.

The wins are IPFW, Western Illinois, UWGB, SDSU, Carroll College and IUPUI.

Dang! 1st DI loss, even if it was in 2OT. And that was one of the games I predicted they would win.

somebison
08-29-2004, 03:47 AM
there's always tomorrow hopefully they can beat UWGB to pick their first win on this road trip

Bisonguy
08-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Isn't IPFW actually a fairly good DI team? Good effort by the Lady Bison, just fell short in OT (2 of them).

BisonBBALL
09-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Who was added this year?

Bisonguy
09-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Women's soccer picks up their second win against UNI and improves to 2-3-1 on the season.