PDA

View Full Version : From A Good Source - UND to Big Sky too!

OCBison
10-02-2004, 03:41 AM
I've heard from a reliable source that the coaching staff at UND were asked to prepare DI budgets for their programs. Sorry I wish I could be more specific with regards to the request but I'd really hate to have my source compromised.

My understanding is that the combination of NDSU/UND is much more attractive to the Big Sky than a NDSU/SDSU partnership. Wouldn't that be very interesting.

Bisonguy
10-02-2004, 04:07 AM
I wonder if Kupchella finished his copy of "Beer & Circus"? ;)

DIBISON
10-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Not very likely, as it will be a year or two before UNDII could make the DI commitment. Title IX affects them because the women's hockey program is about 5 years from being fully funded.

Preparing DI bdugets should be an annual event at UNDII so they will be ready in case the DII limitations become stricter.

The Big Sky is even going to consider a DII university that hasn't declared its intent to move to DI.

DIBISON
10-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Correction - The Big Sky ISN'T going to consider a DII ....

OCBison
10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I wonder if Kupchella finished his copy of "Beer & Circus"? ;)

Don't be afraid of the truth BisonGuy. Read a little about the subject matter. There's lots of information out there, factual information not anecdotal, about the direction that Chapman is taking NDSU and it's not good.

Read "Beer & Circus" yourself, read "College Sports, Inc." or read "The Game of Life". College sports is not the panacea you think it is.

That all being said don't be so dismissive of the fact that the coaching staff at UND have been asked to prepare DI budgets. I'm sure Kupcella is getting a lot of pressure from alumni to join the athletic arms race.

NDSU_grad
10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Good, I can't wait to see your posts at siouxsports.com under the name OCSioux telling them what a huge mistake they're making.

JBB
10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
This guy is rediculous. The statement that Dr. Chapman is taking NDSU in a direction that is not good is absurd and unfounded.

1) Downtown Fargo Campus

2) New school of business

3) New living facilities

4) Adding graduate programs

5) Increasing research funds

6) establishing cooperative ventures with private enterprise: Alien tech for example

7) Rasing professors salaries

Need I add more?

OCBison
10-05-2004, 09:52 PM
With regards to athletics my friend not with regards to the other aspects of the University.

DI athletics is not the answer to everyone's prayers. Do some research on the subject matter. I know, I know it might mean questioning some of your core values but I think you can handle it.

Also if you think adding graduate programs is good for the undergraduate students at NDSU you need to rethink that as well. That will less undergraduate classes taught by full professors and more classes taught by TA's and GA's.

BTW it's "ridiculous".

GCWaters
10-05-2004, 09:57 PM
*That will less undergraduate classes taught by full professors and more classes taught by TA's and GA's.

BTW it's "ridiculous".

Yes, it is "ridiculous," and you, my friend, need a verb in that last sentence...

JBB
10-05-2004, 10:25 PM
I did come on a little strong there, and did refrain from mentioning athletics to see if you were going to narrow your criticism to athletics. You have.

I take exception with that as well. The Carr report is clear that the support exists in the Fargo and regional markets for DI athletics at NDSU. Of course there are challenges and risks, but the potential is there, in a big way. Doubters and chicken littles will always be about and the law of large numbers tells us that they will occasionally be right. (hows my spelling so far?) 8)

NDSU_grad
10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
With regards to athletics my friend not with regards to the other aspects of the University.

DI athletics is not the answer to everyone's prayers. *Do some research on the subject matter. *I know, I know it might mean questioning some of your core values but I think you can handle it.

Also if you think adding graduate programs is good for the undergraduate students at NDSU you need to rethink that as well. *That will less undergraduate classes taught by full professors and more classes taught by TA's and GA's.

BTW it's "ridiculous".

Thank God Tony finally hired a spellchecker. I almost quit posting here because of the poor grammar and spelling.
I think we've already had this conversation a few months ago, but I do look forward to your posts on the sioux site. I'll even post the link (http://www.siouxsports.com) to make it easier for you.

BisonBBALL
10-08-2004, 02:21 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees that UND will jump to D1. The question is if it will happen in 2 years or 4 years?
Having said that, I'm sure that both Kupchella and Chapman are well aware of the risk of their University short-changing undergraduates by cramming them into massive lecture courses, and relying heavily on poorly paid adjunct faculty and teaching assistants as they poor $$ into D1 sports programs.
As DII schools, both UND and SU had their share of undergraduates attracted to their schools for not only an education but also booze-filled parties and sports programs. The question is whether funding D1 sports will lessen their commitment to the students' having a quality undergraduate education.

JBB
10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
I disagree as well. *There is an institutional comitment to prevent that. *By stating a worse case senario it isnt true BisonBBall. *Of course, as NorthDakotaBison says, you can say that athletic budgets have expanded so some eductational dollars are lost because the money COULD have been spent elswhere, but that can be said of every dollar the University spends, depending on your perspective. *

The truth lies more in where all the money comes from. *Again I agree with NorthDakotaBison, I believe most of the dollars spent by the athletic department wouldnt be available to the general fund because they are raised specifically for athletics. *And remember where all those private scholarship dollars go!

NDSU_grad
10-08-2004, 02:47 PM
the term is fungible, money is fungible. other than students talking about the bison before class, things are pretty much the same

Showoff ;)

runtheoption
10-08-2004, 04:02 PM
From Black's Law Dictionary: *Fungible, adj.--Regarded as commercially interchangeable with other property of the same kind, i.e., corn and wheat are fungible goods, whereas land is not.

Also, from UCC section 1-201 (18) revised 2003, "Fungible goods" means:
* * (A) goods of which any unit, by nature or usage of trade, is the equivalent of any other like unit; or
* * (B) goods that by agreement are treated as equivalent.

So, I guess this means that......? * ;D

IowaBison
10-08-2004, 04:10 PM
not a lawyer, so I won't try to explain why Black's came up short

in fiduciary terms an approximate equivalent would be interchangeable

runtheoption
10-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Not sure why that little dude with sunglasses pops in every time I try to type in "eighteen" numerically. As in (18).

JBB
10-09-2004, 01:39 AM
From Black's Law Dictionary: *Fungible, adj.--Regarded as commercially interchangeable with other property of the same kind, i.e., corn and wheat are fungible goods, whereas land is not.

Also, from UCC section 1-201 (18) revised 2003, "Fungible goods" means:
* * (A) goods of which any unit, by nature or usage of trade, is the equivalent of any other like unit; or
* * (B) goods that by agreement are treated as equivalent.

So, I guess this means that......? * ;D

Physics dollars are the same as athletic dollars.

BisonBBALL
10-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Fungi and fysics???

I'm lost! *:o

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with the strongly stated arguments detailed in "Beer & Circus". I was simply stating that University presidents have to address the potential risks for the undergraduate programs when more dollars are demanded to meet the D1 requirements.
I'm a proponent for DI athletics.