PDA

View Full Version : State of the University

IowaBison
10-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Just got back from Chapman's State of the University Address and to summarize ... "WOW"

anybody who thinks that athletics is the big driver on campus should read this

http://www.ndsu.edu/president/address/2004_address.shtml

Bisonguy
10-15-2004, 12:09 AM
WOW is an understatement. ;D :o ;D :o ;D

The only thing greater than the news from Chapman is that it's factually correct, unlike some other regional State of the University speeches.

bisonranch
10-15-2004, 12:18 AM
WOW is an understatement. *;D :o ;D :o ;D

The only thing greater than the news from Chapman is that it's factually correct, unlike some other regional State of the University speeches.

I saw that too. WTF?

tony
10-15-2004, 01:43 AM
You must be talking about Kupchella's contention that UND is the third-leading research university in the region, ranking behind Montana State and the U of Minnesota.

If you read carefully though, K is talking about federally-funded research and Chapman is talking about all research no matter how it was funded.

Federal funds have paid for a relatively small percentage of NDSU research and nearly all of it at UND.

Bisonguy
10-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Point taken that UND takes more tax-payer dollars.

BisBison
10-15-2004, 02:18 AM
All I have got to say about the folks from the north is "more of the same spin", it just kills them to be 2nd to SU in just about everything. I loved Chapman's talk, this guy is amazing.

tony
10-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Well, I think NDSU spends a lot more state money on research.

Regardless, Chapman doesn't talk like a lawyer because he doesn't have to. NDSU is the biggest and best research university in the state and no amount of weasel words will change that.

GCWaters
10-15-2004, 01:45 PM
The 72/34 million numbers are correct for the 2002 audit...during that period, UND did have slightly more federal funding than NDSU, but I don't think it was that much more, especially if you consider that UND's med school should be tapping into huge amounts that they're not tapping into. *Overall, NDSU blows UND away, and I believe it's about to get worse--NDSU should pass $100 million for this last year, and its my understanding that the federal dollars are going to have a big increase, as well.

I've never been impressed with CK; if UND does go DI in athletics, it'll be because of RT, not CK...

Edit: UND was 158th in federal funding, with $25,005,000...NDSU was 172th, with $21,414,000.... *

NDSU_grad
10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
The 72/34 million numbers are correct for the 2002 audit...during that period, UND did have slightly more federal funding than NDSU, but I don't think it was that much more, especially if you consider that UND's med school should be tapping into huge amounts that they're not tapping into. *Overall, NDSU blows UND away, and I believe it's about to get worse--NDSU should pass $100 million for this last year, and its my understanding that the federal dollars are going to have a big increase, as well.

I've never been impressed with CK; if UND does go DI in athletics, it'll be because of RT, not CK...

Edit: *UND was 158th in federal funding, with $25,005,000...NDSU was 172th, with $21,414,000.... *

I'm confused. How could NDSU bring in 72,000,000 in NSF money, but only 21,414,000 in federal money. The NSF is a federal granting agency. Does the government handle accounting like Enron?

GCWaters
10-15-2004, 03:39 PM
IT's not all NSF money, NSF is just the organization that does the audit...it's an audit of all money spent on research and development, which includes federal dollars (like NSF and NIH) but also dollars from a variety of other sources...

NDSU_grad
10-15-2004, 03:48 PM
IT's not all NSF money, NSF is just the organization that does the audit...it's an audit of all money spent on research and development, which includes federal dollars (like NSF and NIH) but also dollars from a variety of other sources...

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Tatanka
10-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Anyone within handshake range of President Chapman should thank him profusely. His vision has made NDSU what it is today, and if he can accomplish even half of the goals he is setting out, SU will continue to be the class of the upper midwest.

scottheck
10-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Yet, with all of this funding, NDSU is one of three ND post-secondary institutions significantly underfunded by the state, as a percentage of our budget. Currently, NDSU is funded at 48% of our peer group. Chapman will be going to the legislature this year requesting that we at least get up to 55%. That would be a boost of $8 million. NDSU really needs to get raises to the profs to keep the good ones.

Tatanka
10-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Actually I think it's more effective to keep excelling on the budget we have, all the while making sure everyone knows the disparity in funding. Sooner or later someone with some manberries will put their foot down and challenge the sacred cow to our north.