PDA

View Full Version : UND-Fargo has been shut down

TheBisonator
12-03-2004, 06:12 AM
UND Fargo Center expelled
By Mike Nowatzki,The Forum
Published Friday, December 03, 2004

Three days after the University of North Dakota cut the ribbon on a new Fargo center, President Charles Kupchella was told Thursday to tie it up and take it home.

In a letter sent to Kupchella and North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman, North Dakota University System Chancellor Robert Potts asked Kupchella to immediately shut down the UND Fargo Center.

Potts also put an end to wrangling over a joint project between UND's telemedicine program and NDSU's telepharmacy program, saying NDSU should take the lead.

More of the article at: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77001&section=news

Bisonguy
12-03-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm beginning to think that UND is taking a "any exposure is good exposure" theory in media relations. ::)

Tuk
12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
I am especially interested in the whole telepharmacy program conflict. Sounds like a shady deal on the part of the UND people to hijack NDSU's program via Dorgans office. Someones butt should be kicked for even trying something like that, and thinking NDSU would stand idle while their program was being taken over by UND's School of Medicine.

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 01:25 PM
i thought you were joking bisonator

i usually read the forum before i post but not today

i like Dr. Potts!

Bisongold
12-03-2004, 01:35 PM
I've always felt ( and told my UND friends) that UND would never go D1 with Kupchella and Roger Thomas on board. With today's news, Kupchella ( aka Marshmella) will very likely be on the way out. This is a huge embarrassment for UND. Also Roger Thomas will likely take the position as head of the NCC which he seems so in love with. Perhaps he and Kupchella are losing the battle to stay D2 and will be "bailing soon". My feeling is that Lennon has probably given UND an ultimatum and would stay if they go D1. Otherwise he will be gone soon .

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm glad somebody posted it before I did. (it meaning the word embarassing)

This really is a big time screw up by UND's administration. When you set as one of your goals/accomplishments to establish this center to get it ixnayed by the SBHE, that's certainly got to hurt.

scottheck
12-03-2004, 01:44 PM
With the representation in state gov't by UND grads, these decisions haven't typically gone our way. Nice to see it's getting more fair and balanced.

It would seem this is egg in the face of Kupchella on 2 major issues.

Bisongold
12-03-2004, 01:44 PM
While I'm certainly not an academian, I really don't remember something like this happening before. In essence, Kupchella was ignoring the "rule book" given the University by the SBHE and trying to raid NDSUs programs. I think it will be the final straw for Kuppy.

Bison_Dan
12-03-2004, 01:51 PM
All is not well in sue land. They say one thing and do another. Is rt really interested in the ncc job? Wouldn't that be a hugh step down. Maybe rt is not very happy in his job. Indecision will kill you, and und is being killed. ;D ;D ;D

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't think we should post at length about UND on this site. But I would have to agree that Kupchella may be in hot water. Being a University President has to be one of the most difficult jobs around trying to placate academics and alumni as well as dealing with athletics.

I hope that the big contributors to that school are happy with their mascot and athletic programs. If not this 'fiasco' could give them a legitimate reason to ask for his resignation.

BisonMav
12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
The good thing is Potts is not a NDSU or UND grad.

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
The letter by Potts, who is an unbiased administrator, clearly shows how outlandish the behavior of the UND Adminstration has been. *I would suspect that the President of UND better be dusting off his resume and looking for work. *This whole thing has to be a huge embarassment for UND.

It is unfortuanate that the UND Administration doesn't give a rats ass about the good of North Dakota and is instead focused on tearing down NDSU.

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't even see what the problem was, but clearly the chancellor wasn't impressed.

This hardly calls for Kup's firing.

Junior
12-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't even see what the problem was, but clearly the chancellor wasn't impressed.

This hardly calls for Kup's firing.

Big Surprise!

BisBison
12-04-2004, 02:38 AM
I hope Kup doesn't get fired over this, it's good to have the purpetrator of an embarassment stay in charge. ;) ;). My guess is RT is gone as is Lenin. What a joke und2 is turning out to be. Just desserts I'd say ;D ;D ;D

Bisonfan01234
12-04-2004, 03:22 AM
Kup did exactly as the chancellor requested, why would he fire him?

DIBISON
12-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Because that institution has regressed over the past 2-3 years.