PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Development Foundation

DIBISON
12-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Just gone done reading the Bison Briefs which included an article on the financial statements for the NDSU Development Foundation.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the net assets listed at about $77 million. I know NDSU is maybe not on the same level for fundraising as other peer instiutions, but I thought this was a good chunk of change.

Total assets were $92 million and total liabilities were about $15 million. Of the assets about $62 million was listed as current investments, $15 million in undeveloped land, and about $5 million in cash. Most of the expenses were for scholarships and some building capitol.

Maybe the Development Foundation could jump-start the BSA remodeling project with a $1-2 million donation. Their cash balance is unrestricted!

roadwarrior
12-10-2004, 03:44 AM
The Development Foundation is currently working on a $70 Million fund drive. $8 Million of that will go towards the BSA.

JBB
12-10-2004, 01:26 PM
DIBISON, *

I was particularly happy with the growth in net assests. *I dont have it in front of me but last yr saw a very nice increase over the previous yr. *Right now its very critical for alums to step up with whatever they can give.

NDSU_grad
12-10-2004, 04:18 PM
I think specific departments (like athletics) should be able to borrow Foundation money at either 0 or very low interest rates. Maybe they already can, I don't know.

roadwarrior
12-12-2004, 04:18 AM
A large portion of the Foundation's assets are in "endowed" funds. This means that the investment earnings from these funds are used for scholarships and other purposes. Allowing interest free or low interest loans would be counter-productive.

Bisongold
12-12-2004, 04:32 AM
Just curious, but who are the people at NDSU in charge of the fundraising for the endowments? This is a huge job and arguably the most important for the university.

tony
12-12-2004, 05:40 AM
I just dropped an email to Pat "Yeah I'm Wearing Shorts When There's A Blizzard Going On" Simmers to see about endowments.

My guess it that the ultimate responsibility for endowments lies with us - at least that's the way I'd want it to be.

For myself, I love the idea of contributing to an endowment because it's a gift that keeps on giving. Anyway, I suggested that they make it easy to contribute to endowments on the Team Makers renewal form. Not sure it's possible.

I'll see what else I can find out about existing endowments in the meantime.

roadwarrior
12-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Erv Inniger is in charge of raising money for athletic scholarship endowments. *The NDSU Development Foundation handles endowments that benefit the University as a whole. *Erv does work in conjunction with the Dev Found when setting up an endowment.

Teammakers does not get involved directly in the endowments. *They are in charge of the annual fund drive to support the scholarship costs of the athletes.

There are quite a few endowment funds already set up that anyone can make contributions towards. (tax deductible of course)

scottheck
12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Just curious, but who are the people at NDSU in charge of the fundraising for the endowments? *This is a huge job and arguably the most important for the university.

Everything you could want to know about endowments and the Dev Foundation is here *http://www.ndsufoundation.com/index.htm

Jason Wohlman, Scott Barrett, or Leo Ringey are several of the staff who would be happy to talk to any of you about contributing.

As for who's is charge, Tony's right, we are. *However, you might want to apply your donation, within reason, the above staff are willing to work with you.

http://www.ndsufoundation.com/staff/execcomm.htm
lists the executive committee of the Dev Foundation.

And, here are the numerous areas that can be donated to: http://www.ndsufoundation.com/annualfund/giftopt.htm

tony
12-13-2004, 03:20 AM
Well, that was kind of tongue in cheek because I know full well that most people on this board (including me) are still in the wealth-building phase of life and/or have more pressing responsibilities than contributing to endowments. *Anyway, if you are relatively young, you'd be better off investing your money yourself because you'd probably get a better return. Once you have retired and are well off, then you would be able to write a much bigger check to NDSU if you so choose.

Anyway, the site Scott cites shows these endowments:

Bison Athletic Endowment
Bison Excellence Fund
Ellig Sports Complex
Amy Ruley Endowment
Athletics - Women
Basketball - Women
Volleyball Fund
Bison Volleyball Endowment
Track & Cross Country - Women
Softball Fund
Soccer Fund
Athletics - Men
Basketball - Men
Football Fund
Bucky Maughan Wrestling Endowment
Wrestling Fund
Track & Cross Country - Men
Baseball Fund

No idea what the balances are although I don't think NDSU is funding many scholarships this way right now.

IowaBison
12-13-2004, 01:59 PM
There are a heck ova lot more than that. The back of each program has a list of them all, there must be nearly forty of them.

And if any of you have big bucks (not me, not yet anyways) you can always start your own.

JBB
12-13-2004, 02:53 PM
You can start your own with very few bucks too. I know there are a lot of small scholarship endowments set up with very little money but over time even small contributions make for a nice tidy sum.