PDA

View Full Version : Bison Hockey?

Bison101
03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I am pretty new to the Fargo area and am attending NDSU as a Grad student. I was curious if someone other than a sue fan could explain a couple things. Why doesn't NDSU have Hockey? It seems like a natural fit. I understand there was a vote in 2000 to build an arena to play Hockey and start a team. If so, what happened with that plan? Is there any talk of trying to get Hockey here or is it a dead issue? Lastly, is this new arena they want to build downtown a good or bad thing for NDSU in regards to getting motivation to upgrade the BSA. I went to the SDSU game and was shocked at how poor of a facility that is. Were D1 now, we need the facilities to recruit D1 talent. In my opinion they need to convert the BSA into a solid Arena for Hockey/Wrestling that seats about 6000-7000. For Basketball we need a brand new arena next to the Fargodome that seats about 8000. Oh yeah, we need an anonymous donor to buy the naming rights to the Fargodome so we can call it the BisonDome.
Thanks for the help...

greenandgold01
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't think the city will sell the naming rights unless someone buys the whole dome. I don't think it's worth $40MM.

Aparantly, it's possible for the dome to hold hockey if it's upgraded with the correct ice making equipment.

However, the real back breaker in terms of money is for NDSU to have the team itself. Hockey is a very expensive sport PLUS we're already going to need to add women's scholarships to balance football. We'd probably also need a women's team to balance schol. with a men's team. Then add travel costs, etc. it's just too much money.

Rodentia
03-02-2005, 06:54 PM
It might be possible in the future to add hockey, but I think that it would have to wait until the DI transition is finished. If NDSU adds hockey, the CHA would certainally welcome them.

greenandgold01
03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
It might be possible in the future to add hockey, but I think that it would have to wait until the DI transition is finished. If NDSU adds hockey, the CHA would certainally welcome them.

WCHA or CCHA I hope.

Big_BisonFan
03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I think we should support our club hockey team first and see if they can get back to a national championship level as they were in 80's and early 90's. Until there *is visible support and interest for the club hockey team, I see no reason to put a bunch of money into hockey. I do understand there is a difference between club hockey and NCAA Div-I hockey, but if there is interest in the sport go to a club game at this point.

We should keep doing what we are doing and build our current programs to be competitive and find a conference. Hockey at this point is not feasible.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree that hockey is not that big throughout the state, but it is definitely growing. Besides, you have to look at Minnesota. Moorhead is a hockey hotbed. If NDSU had a team and could some day get into a conference they would no doubt be able to keep some of these kids home. I just doubt that the university wants to get into the financial situation that hockey brings. It would also be very tough for a new team to recruit in a region with UND, SCSU, MINN, MSUM and these other teams who are a few of the best in the country. I would tend to believe that they will never start a D1 hockey team for these reasons, if not more.

greenandgold01
03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I agree that hockey is not that big throughout the state, but it is definitely growing. Besides, you have to look at Minnesota. Moorhead is a hockey hotbed. If NDSU had a team and could some day get into a conference they would no doubt be able to keep some of these kids home. I just doubt that the university wants to get into the financial situation that hockey brings. It would also be very tough for a new team to recruit in a region with UND, SCSU, MINN, MSUM and these other teams who are a few of the best in the country. I would tend to believe that they will never start a D1 hockey team for these reasons, if not more.

But then again, a lot of local talent plays Juniors hockey for a while before being drafted or playing college. It would be another local place where they could play if they don't get drafted.

bisonranch
03-02-2005, 11:35 PM
I'd rather see NDSU invest in basketball over hockey. There's a much greater return in money and publicity. When the BSA is replaced, I hope a facility is built with hockey in mind, but a program not started until there is plenty of funding. Lets support the club team and let the Sioux have hockey for now, they're usually good at it ::).

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I'd rather see NDSU invest in basketball over hockey. There's a much greater return in money and publicity. When the BSA is replaced, I hope a facility is built with hockey in mind, but a program not started until there is plenty of funding. Lets support the club team and let the Sioux have hockey for now, they're usually good at it ::).

I'm pretty sure this is exactly the mind set of the NDSU athletic deparment. It makes the most sense to me, anyway.

Bisonguy
03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Just for the number crunchers out there:

U of Kansas men's BB expenses: ~$3.9 MM
UND men's hockey expenses: ~$1.8 MM

U of Kansas men's BB revenue: ~$10.3 MM
UND's entire athletic program revenue: ~6.9MM

Which sport has the most potential to generate revenue? Hmmmm..........

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Just for the number crunchers out there:

U of Kansas men's BB expenses: ~$3.9 MM
UND men's hockey expenses: ~$1.8 MM

U of Kansas men's BB revenue: ~$10.3 MM
UND's entire athletic program revenue: ~6.9MM

Which sport has the most potential to generate revenue? Hmmmm..........

However, the ratio of revenue to profit could be the same or more if UND's hockey revenue is $4.75MM or more

Bisonguy
03-03-2005, 12:44 AM
However, the ratio of revenue to profit could be the same or more if UND's hockey revenue is $4.75MM or more

All other things being equal, would you rather get a 50% raise from an employer while making $20k/year, or get a 25% raise from an employer while making $100k/year?

I'll look up UND's "projected" revenue later.......

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 12:45 AM
All other things being equal, would you rather get a 50% raise from an employer while making $20k/year, or get a 25% raise from an employer while making $100k/year?

I'll look up UND's "projected" revenue later.......

It depends if I need to buy anything. U Kansas probably doesn't have any major needs.

UND, though, I think they're looking at an indoor facility in the future, maybe?

jjbluecw
03-03-2005, 02:09 AM
It depends if I need to buy anything. U Kansas probably doesn't have any major needs.

UND, though, I think they're looking at an indoor facility in the future, maybe?

They (kansas) could use a football team . bty it's KU. ;)

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 02:23 AM
They would've beat Texas last year if they didn't get screwed by the refs.

Siouxpreme
03-03-2005, 03:31 AM
Why doesn't NDSU have Hockey? It seems like a natural fit. I understand there was a vote in 2000 to build an arena to play Hockey and start a team. If so, what happened with that plan? Is there any talk of trying to get Hockey here or is it a dead issue? Lastly, is this new arena they want to build downtown a good or bad thing for NDSU in regards to getting motivation to upgrade the BSA. I went to the SDSU game and was shocked at how poor of a facility that is. Were D1 now, we need the facilities to recruit D1 talent. In my opinion they need to convert the BSA into a solid Arena for Hockey/Wrestling that seats about 6000-7000. For Basketball we need a brand new arena next to the Fargodome that seats about 8000. Oh yeah, we need an anonymous donor to buy the naming rights to the Fargodome so we can call it the BisonDome.
Thanks for the help...

When NDSU realized they couldn't get the Fargo taxpayers to sponsor an arena, they switched gears and then decided to go DI. When the Ralph was built, that further slammed the hockey door shut as there was now no way that NDSU hockey could compete both with Fighting Sioux tradition and facilities. So the alternative goal of DI in other sports became reality.

Funny how the early 1990s were the ideal time for NDSU to start hockey (they would have gotten a WCHA invite instantly back then ) or go DI (the Big Sky would have been interested, then), but now the door is slammed shut for both conferences.

Bisonguy
03-03-2005, 04:04 AM

Looks like it's about $2.35 MM for men's hockey, and $7,500 for women's hockey- UND 2004 AD Budget (http://www.und.edu/org/iac/IAC9-16-03.htm)

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Looks like it's about $2.35 MM for men's hockey, and $7,500 for women's hockey- UND 2004 AD Budget (http://www.und.edu/org/iac/IAC9-16-03.htm)

Well, then the green margin is quite a bit less.

It'd be interesting to know how many fans came through the gates for both years.

jjbluecw
03-03-2005, 04:55 AM
They would've beat Texas last year if they didn't get screwed by the refs.

No kidding, or if anyone could tackle Vince Young. I guess we are getting a little off topic. :D :D

kchats
03-03-2005, 05:17 AM
They (kansas) could use a football team . *bty it's KU. * ;)

It is actually the University of Kansas but they go by KU. Probably because the University of Kentucky goes by UK. ;)

jjbluecw
03-03-2005, 05:24 AM

Don't forget Bemidji ST. They have been in the top 20 this year. Wait a minute, isn't every team in the top twenty? I don't want to be part of any "DI" sport that bemidji st could tie us in. Didn't that happen at the REA? UND can keep their prestigous hockey and continue to think they are playing in a real DI sport while they are cheering their team on against mighty bemidji st beavers.

jjbluecw
03-03-2005, 05:32 AM
It is actually the University of Kansas but they go by KU. Probably because the University of Kentucky goes by UK. ;)

exactly,

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 01:12 PM
No kidding, or if anyone could tackle Vince Young. I guess we are getting a little off topic. :D :D

No, there was one point in the game where they had won it basically but the refs, payed off by the BigXII to ensure that both Ok and TX got in the BCS, called offensive pass interference, a call that I'd never heard called before in my life, on a move that is taught to junior high WR's.

Rodentia
03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
The WCHA or the CCHA are pretty full. The CHA is a far more likely conference if NDSU ever adds D-I hockey. Of course, watching ESPN, you might not even realize that college hockey exists...

But seriously, I do think it is a good idea to support NDSU's Club Team. Does it have a web page? If so, how about a link on the main Bisonville web page?

PS: Go Bemidji State! BSU just needs three points this weekend against the Air Force Academy to win the CHA regular season title.

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
The WCHA or the CCHA are pretty full. The CHA is a far more likely conference if NDSU ever adds D-I hockey. Of course, watching ESPN, you might not even realize that college hockey exists...

But seriously, I do think it is a good idea to support NDSU's Club Team. Does it have a web page? If so, how about a link on the main Bisonville web page?

PS: Go Bemidji State! BSU just needs three points this weekend against the Air Force Academy to win the CHA regular season title.

Interestingly enough, BSU's women's team is in the WCHA.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Interestingly enough, BSU's women's team is in the WCHA.

So is Ohio State's womens team. That conference is a little weird. Still has the two best teams year after year in the nation though, Minn. and UMD

I would agree that a newer team would not be able to get into the WCHA. The CHA is a much more likely situation. The WCHA is by far the top of college hockey. I would be surprised if they would ever let a start up team into that kind of a situation.

jjbluecw
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
No, there was one point in the game where they had won it basically but the refs, payed off by the BigXII to ensure that both Ok and TX got in the BCS, called offensive pass interference, a call that I'd never heard called before in my life, on a move that is taught to junior high WR's.

I knew what you were referring too. It was a questionable call, but then Kansas had Texas like 4th and 18. Vince young couldn't find anyone open and scrambled for a 1st down.

dakotadan
03-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Personally, I would love to see NDSU get a hockey team, of course after they are up and running in *DI. After a few years in the CHA, The WCHA will take NDSU along with UNO. The two Alaska school (Anchorage and Fairbanks) will join with the three colorado schools (DU, CC and AFA) and Bemidji to form a new conference. That would really set up some nice conferences.

Gamehunter
03-04-2005, 03:57 AM
I am going to deviate a little bit and say I hope NDSU never gets hockey. Don't get me wrong, its a great sport, but I feel the athletic budget can be spent better elsewhere. We have a long way to go before out bball and even football programs are were we would all like them to be in D1 (at the top competing for national championships of course). Adding ice hockey is going to put a huge damper in that. I look at NDSU as having a huge advantage over schools that have hockey because we can better fund our other sports instead of streatching everything thin.

JBB
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Good pt. x-factor.

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
So is Ohio State's womens team. That conference is a little weird. Still has the two best teams year after year in the nation though, Minn. and UMD

I would agree that a newer team would not be able to get into the WCHA. The CHA is a much more likely situation. The WCHA is by far the top of college hockey. I would be surprised if they would ever let a start up team into that kind of a situation.

CCHA? HE?

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I knew what you were referring too. It was a questionable call, but then Kansas had Texas like 4th and 18. Vince young couldn't find anyone open and scrambled for a 1st down.

True. I just wish TX would've never made it to the Rose Bowl and screwed everything up for Cal.

jjbluecw
03-04-2005, 02:49 PM
True. I just wish TX would've never made it to the Rose Bowl and screwed everything up for Cal.

Cal lost any arguement they had to go to a bcs bowl by getting whooped by texas tech IMO.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Personally, I would love to see NDSU get a hockey team, of course after they are up and running in *DI. After a few years in the CHA, The WCHA will take NDSU along with UNO. The two Alaska school (Anchorage and Fairbanks) will join with the three colorado schools (DU, CC and AFA) and Bemidji to form a new conference. That would really set up some nice conferences.

I don't think that the Colorado schools would ever want to leave the WCHA to start a conference with those teams! And why would the WCHA want to bring in new teams and get rid of storied, top-tier teams???

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Cal lost any arguement they had to go to a bcs bowl by getting whooped by texas tech IMO.

This is after the fact.

The rose bowl should've been Cal and Michigan. Everyone and their brother knows it.

IowaBison
03-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Horsesh3t

Cal was exposed by Tech and Tech is the most one dimensional team there is!

BisonMav
03-04-2005, 05:51 PM
This is after the fact.

The rose bowl should've been Cal and Michigan. Everyone and their brother knows it.

The Cal coach was resting on his laurels, while the Texas coach was out trying to sell his team to the BCS voters. You snooze you lose.

roadwarrior
03-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Kind of off track here arent we ???

IowaBison
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
You mean talking about Bison Hockey, yes, I agree, this is definitely off topic.

thundar94
03-04-2005, 07:34 PM
A couple things, IMO. First, having lived in Fargo for the last 13 years, and being a huge hockey fan, I dont see any way that NDSU will have hockey in the near future, unless a very radical event happens. The city will never fund a hockey rink for the Herd to play in as was eveident in last April's vote, and most likely again in the Cityscapes vote. The school would have to fund a rink.

Second, Who is going to watch these games? Fargo is not a hockey town, NDSU could play their games in the coliseum and not fill the place unless the were playing the sioux, and only then because all the sioux fans in town would go.

Third, this talk about joining the WCHA. Are you kidding me?? The league is too full now to add any teams, and what team in the WCHA would leave the conference. It is perhaps the toughest conference in DI hockey, and regularly receives 3-5 playoff bids per year. And you think a team would leave the WCHA to go to the CHA to maybe get a playoff berth if they win the conference to make room for us, come on.

I just cant see the school having adding hockey and having any kind of success. If you think about recruiting, that is another area that would kill us. If you think about it, UND, SCSU, Mankato, UofM, Duluth, Bemidji all get a majority of their players from Minnesota, not to mention CC, DU, Wisconsin. Trying to get DI caliber players to come to NDSU to play hockey is going to be near impossible, unless Wayne Gretzky is your coach. What do you have to offer a possible recruit. No rink, no shot at a title, no conference.... Yes i know these are all the problems you face when starting something new, but really, how realistic is it??

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Horsesh3t

Cal was exposed by Tech and Tech is the most one dimensional team there is!

This is after the fact.

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 09:11 PM
The Cal coach was resting on his laurels, while the Texas coach was out trying to sell his team to the BCS voters. You snooze you lose.

Another reason the BCS is garbage. No coach should be able to improve the BCS standing of his team via politics.

BisonMav
03-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Another reason the BCS is garbage. No coach should be able to improve the BCS standing of his team via politics.

How can you not have politics involved, with people voting? Unless you have a playoff, it's all politics.

tophatfan
03-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Just a little news on the Club team from this past weekend, they went down to St. Louis and beat the #4 club team in the nation on their home ice.

SirHinn
03-05-2005, 03:07 AM
the #4 DI club team, or DII club team??

jjbluecw
03-05-2005, 03:59 PM
This is after the fact.

Why didn't they show up then and prove they were a BCS team? Texas managed to beat TT by 30. The team with the best arguement isn't Cal it's Auburn.

jjbluecw
03-05-2005, 04:06 PM
How can you not have politics involved, with people voting? Unless you have a playoff, it's all politics.

I agree totally. You have coaches voting based on what they see on sportscenter on saturday night.

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Why didn't they show up then and prove they were a BCS team? Texas managed to beat TT by 30. The team with the best arguement isn't Cal it's Auburn.

I'm not talking about the national championship game, I'm talking about the Rose Bowl.

The historic battle between the Pac 10 and the Big 10 that made college football what it is today.

TT beating Cal was after the fact.

BisonMav
03-05-2005, 04:19 PM
The historic battle between the Pac 10 and the Big 10 that made college football what it is today.

The BCS made college football what it is today. I liked it better before the BCS. Playoffs would be the best route to go. BCS is at the bottom of the list.

jjbluecw
03-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm not talking about the national championship game, I'm talking about the Rose Bowl.

TT beating Cal was after the fact.

You keep saying "fact". Other then the scoreboard there is no "facts" in DI college football. It is all biased voters with opinions. The Rose Bowl was one the best games I have ever seen regardless of what conference the teams came from. I know the tradition but the tradition is changing. The Rose Bowl is the national championship game this year. The fact is that Texas and Cal had the same number of losses and Texas beat more ranked teams. The rest is up to opinion.

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
But to vault over them right at the end? Smells like cow manure to me.

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 04:38 PM
The BCS made college football what it is today. I liked it better before the BCS. Playoffs would be the best route to go. BCS is at the bottom of the list.

What I meant was that it made it popular.

jjbluecw
03-05-2005, 04:45 PM

I am in the minority that doesn't want to see a playoff. The games would be great but we would be argueing about that team that didn't get in the playoffs. I also don't want to see the importance of the regular season diminished. I would like to keep primarily the same format but have a committee of 8-12 members that get together every saturday and actually watch the games do the voting.

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I am in the minority that doesn't want to see a playoff. The games would be great but we would be argueing about that team that didn't get in the playoffs. I also don't want to see the importance of the regular season diminished. I would like to keep primarily the same format but have a committee of 8-12 members that get together every saturday and actually watch the games do the voting.

So you don't like the DIaa system?

How about this: all teams make the playoffs.

Yes, a 117 playoff at the end of the season. That would be fair, no?

jjbluecw
03-05-2005, 05:59 PM
So you don't like the DIaa system?

How about this: all teams make the playoffs.

Yes, a 117 playoff at the end of the season. That would be fair, no?

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Wow

tophatfan
03-06-2005, 03:50 AM
the #4 DI club team, or DII club team?? *
#4 D1 club team, yes we beat the #4 Division 1 Club team in the country.

Gamehunter
03-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Well I am glad to see that the hockey club is at least doing good with that $80,000 NDSU gives them.

roadwarrior
03-07-2005, 04:40 AM
You mean the $80,000 that the students give them?

greenandgold01
03-07-2005, 05:22 AM
You mean the 80k that NDSU takes from the students and gives to the team?

tophatfan
03-07-2005, 06:28 AM
It's 40000

roadwarrior
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
The decision to give money to the club hockey team is decided by STUDENTS. The finance commission (part of student government) allocates the activity fee $$$ to all the various campus organizations.

WYOBISONMAN
03-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Those of us that have been in Student Government know very well that the money for the Hockey Club came from the students......and the decision to fund the Hockey Club was made completely by students. Hats off to the Student Body at NDSU for funding and producing a very good hockey team for NDSU!!

Big_BisonFan
03-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I totally agree with WyoBison and roadwarrier. I was in Student Government and the finance commission doesn't just give any organization any amount of money that they want. There are very strict guidelines that each org must follow.

On the other hand, when the club team was started they were expected to raise their own money as well. I am not sure how their fundraising/sponsorship drive has been going.

I for one am glad to see the club team back and hope they can get back to winning some titles. Good Luck men.

Bisonguy
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
The team is still doing fundraising. I purchased some coupon thing or something in the fall when they stopped by my house.

WYOBISONMAN
03-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I would like to see them get a web site up.

Bisonguy
03-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Some interesting chatter about NDSU hockey on Prime Time Sports tonight. They have some hockey guys do a one hour segment on Thursday nights, and the topic of the downtown arena came up. I usually tune out the hockey portion, so I have no clue who the hosts are, but my ears perked up when NDSU was mentioned.

Anyhow, both of the guys have a lot of regional hockey contacts and contact with the athletic department of NDSU. They both stated that the CHA, not exactly the best conference, but a conference nonetheless, has stated that if NDSU did start a DI hockey program, that they would extend NDSU an invitation for membership. Some of the regional DI hockey coaches have also stated that they would play NDSU (UND and UMD). They said that with talks to the NDSU athletic department that DI hockey has not been completely taken off the burner. Supposedly a decent amount of talk, but not much publicly.

tony
03-18-2005, 05:09 AM
If they have any ideas for what they'd want on a site, I'd sure put one together.

kchats
03-18-2005, 05:17 AM
I'd rather see NDSU focusing their efforts to get teams they already have into a conference. Hockey is an expensive sport and since we don't have it start up costs would be astronomical. Let's put our money to good use fixing the BSA and spend our time getting the teams we have into a good conference.

Bisonguy
03-18-2005, 05:23 AM
I'd rather see NDSU focusing their efforts to get teams they already have into a conference. *Hockey is an expensive sport and since we don't have it start up costs would be astronomical. *Let's put our money to good use fixing the BSA and spend our time getting the teams we have into a good conference.

The hockey radio guys made it sound like NDSU was getting all their DI ducks in a row before DI hockey would be introduced. Probably at least five years down the road, maybe even longer. Just sounded like there is some strategic planning going on, and hockey is a part of it down the road.

greenandgold01
03-18-2005, 03:42 PM
They have the dome ready to go. All it needs is an upgraded ice maker (or whatever it is).

Siouxpreme
03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Some interesting chatter about NDSU hockey on Prime Time Sports tonight. They have some hockey guys do a one hour segment on Thursday nights, and the topic of the downtown arena came up. I usually tune out the hockey portion, so I have no clue who the hosts are, but my ears perked up when NDSU was mentioned.

Anyhow, both of the guys have a lot of regional hockey contacts and contact with the athletic department of NDSU. They both stated that the CHA, not exactly the best conference, but a conference nonetheless, has stated that if NDSU did start a DI hockey program, that they would extend NDSU an invitation for membership. Some of the regional DI hockey coaches have also stated that they would play NDSU (UND and UMD). They said that with talks to the NDSU athletic department that DI hockey has not been completely taken off the burner. Supposedly a decent amount of talk, but not much publicly.

It would be great if you could do this. *But what about all the crow that Bison fans would have to eat, at least the fans that say they hate hockey. *JBB will be the first one into the game, you can bet on that. *And your chief conference rival would be Bemidji State. *Kind of poetic justice for all the NCC bashing you guys do, dont you agree. * ;) ;D

Bisonguy
03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
It would be great if you could do this. *But what about all the crow that Bison fans would have to eat, at least the fans that say they hate hockey. *JBB will be the first one into the game, you can bet on that. *And your chief rival would be Bemidji State. *Kind of poetic justice for all the NCC bashing you(some) guys do, dont you agree. * ;) ;D

Not all Bison fans are bashing the NCC. In fact, it's a pretty small percentage of the over 700 members on this board.

Anyhow, IF hockey is added, it won't happen until the DI transition is complete. That way, NDSU would be able to gain postseason hockey funds immediately, and the AD finances would have stabilized (hopefully).

There's a growing hockey fanbase in the FM metro, but it's still nothing close to the US Highway 2 fans.

Bison_Dan
03-18-2005, 09:03 PM
It would be great if you could do this. *But what about all the crow that Bison fans would have to eat, at least the fans that say they hate hockey. *JBB will be the first one into the game, you can bet on that. *And your chief conference rival would be Bemidji State. *Kind of poetic justice for all the NCC bashing you guys do, dont you agree. * ;) ;D

Lets be clear on this - the ncc was - repeat was the best dii conference in the nation when NDSU, SDSU and UNO were in it. The trouble now is that sue fans still think it's the same old conference. With most of the best dii schools leaving in the last 5 years there are very few well funded schools now. The point I've always have tried to make is that the ncc has been diminished and is not the premiere conference in dii anymore. When's the last time a 7th seed in the regional went to the elite 8 in womens bb. In a couple of years there won't be a nickels difference between the ncc and nsic. Now did the nsic get better or did the ncc get worst? As far as hockey I doubt that it will happen. First of all you would have to bring on womens hockey at the same time. Second the dome will not want to give all the days required for games and practice. Remember the only reason the ice pipes were added to the dome was in case they couldn't fill their calender with events. If you add Bison hockey in there I'm sure it would have a negative impact on the bottom line. The dome is very successful without hockey. So with the addition of womens hockey and no facilities I think that it might be a hard pull. But hey if they can do I'm all for it. I think one of the biggest reasons that it wasn't done earlier when they were looking at it was und was totally against it and the Bison wanted to join the WCHA.

mikelsch
03-21-2005, 06:27 PM
NDSU really needs hockey...look at all the publicity hockey gets during basketball season and March Madness ::) Leave hockey for the black and pink, I mean kelly green and whatever their colors are this year.

greenandgold01
03-21-2005, 09:20 PM
NDSU really needs hockey...look at all the publicity hockey gets during basketball season and March Madness ::) Leave hockey for the black and pink, I mean kelly green and whatever their colors are this year.

If it makes money, it makes money, regardless if it's underwater synchronized fishing.