PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Hockey, read post before voting.

Bison101
04-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Since we are now in D1, the chances that we will ever win a national championship in something is nill to non existent. I think there is a chance we could compete regionally and maybe nationally on occassion in womens basketball and Softball, and in wrestling. There is potential for Baseball since anything can happen in a regional and super regional. A good team can sneak into the College world series and it happens every year. It is my personal hope that we can win a national chamionship or two at the D1AA level in Football and move up to D1.
At this point, this where Hockey comes in. We are in a region where fan support could be won and we could win a national championship in Hockey. I mean hell, Bemidji state damn near took out DU in the tourney. The one problem about moving to D1 is that we will no longer vie for national titles in any sport. (Save for D1aa Football.) With Hockey we could....

So on that premise, if we have moved up to D1 in football in lets say ten years. Should we add Hockey. Yes or No????

kchats
04-16-2005, 05:57 AM
NDSU gave Fargo the chance to say whether they would support it when the last arena tax vote failed. NDSU stated at that time that it would be a very long time before they even considered looking at hockey again. I believe they also stated they would move in a different direction, which ended up being division I athletics for all of their sports. I think winning a conference championship in division I is much more prestigious than a division II national championship. Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II. I was always asked which division I college team I supporting and I always told them I was an NDSU supporter and I didn't really follow a division I team. Now I can tell them I support NDSU and they are division I.

Hager780
04-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II.

and this is the resume we bring to the table of DI - pound our chests saying "yeah! we're here!" and FRANKLY no one gives credit to what we've done, according to your criteria, because we came from DivisionII???? Maybe we should melt down all those trophies, make a boat anchor, and say HEY!! We're in the Division ONE harbor and we're staying - RESPECT US OR NOT!!! (I suspect not!)

DIBISON
04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd rather bring the resume of the Bison to DI than any other school, who else compares that has move up? Nobody!!!!!!!

kchats
04-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II.

and this is the resume we bring to the table of DI - pound our chests saying "yeah! *we're here!" and FRANKLY no one gives credit to what we've done, according to your criteria, because we came from DivisionII???? *Maybe we should melt down all those trophies, make a boat anchor, and say HEY!! We're in the Division ONE harbor and we're staying - RESPECT US OR NOT!!! (I suspect not!)

Hey Hager780 go around any division I campus even the University of Minnesota and ask the people if they can tell you who has won the last few division II football championships, division II men's basketball championships or division II women's basketball championships. When I graduated from NDSU in 1990 we had just completed an amazing 5 year run where the football team had won 3 national championships in those 5 years. NDSU was also undefeated every one of those seasons. A K-State graduate (and K-State was still the team that made the Sports Illustrated magazine as futility U at that time) didn't know about the championships and didn't even care. I was young and foolish at the time and I told him that I thought NDSU could beat K-State if they played, now I know better. Division II is inferior to even the worst division I football team. And yes Hager780 nobody in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas or a host of other states even knows that your Sioux played in the hockey championship. And Hager780 nobody could care less about your Sioux's single division II football championship.

NDSU only brings a tradition of success to division I. The other schools note that NDSU was a successful division II program because we won all those championships. They don't automatically say they must be better than us because they have won division II championships. It was even mentioned this season before the women's basketball team played TCU. The only reason TCU didn't overlook the Bison (and the Bison have been wildly successful in division II) was because their coach had coached against the Bison when he coached a division II program in Missouri.

Hager780 you are an idiot and a Sioux graduate. Thanks for finally showing your true colors. When Tony finally bans you from this board that will be one less idiot we have to respond to.

BisonBizzo
04-16-2005, 04:30 PM
NDSU gave Fargo the chance to say whether they would support it when the last arena tax vote failed. *NDSU stated at that time that it would be a very long time before they even considered looking at hockey again. *I believe they also stated they would move in a different direction, which ended up being division I athletics for all of their sports. *I think winning a conference championship in division I is much more prestigious than a division II national championship. *Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II. *I was always asked which division I college team I supporting and I always told them I was an NDSU supporter and I didn't really follow a division I team. *Now I can tell them I support NDSU and they are division I.

I am not sure why you think Fargo would not support NDSU hockey based on a failed arena vote. *Fargo has a large fan base for hockey. *Bison hockey is not out of the picture, funding needs to work out for the current varsity sports first. *Fargo and NDSU is best suited for D1 hockey and time will come, but most likely I woudn't bet on it in the next few years. *I am absolutely for Bison D1 hockey, and majority of my friends, family, and acquaintances are for it too.

Gamehunter
04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I would support the move in 10-15 years. I feel we will have things rolling by then and it wont be a problem. Now is a different story.

There is actually a decent sized group on campus that really pushes for a hockey team. I think its only a matter of time(long time). NDSU's club hockey is already recieving an enourmous amount of money.

Rodentia
04-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Adding D-I hockey is not a quick and easy way to a national championship. It would cost a lot of money to add hockey. Perhaps down the road, NDSU might be looking to add a minor sport, but I wouldn't count on that for a while.

I do think you are overly pessimistic in stating the NDSU will never win a championship in D-I. NDSU will be contenders in football for sure. But you make your claim as if it is fact. There is no reason that NDSU can't get a championship in softball or wrestling, for example.

Rodentia
04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Ok, tell me just who does pay attention to D-II. ESPN is just packed to the gills with D-II programming, right?

02Bison
04-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Ok, tell me just who does pay attention to D-II. *ESPN is just packed to the gills with D-II programming, right?

C'mon guys. I will tell you that Bison Fans paid attention to DII when the Bison were DII--which was not that long ago! There is no need to continually put down DII now. Especially continually doing so here. Focus on supporting the Bison in the present and leave it at that. The last thing NDSU needs is fans to get arrogant about the whole "We are DI" thing. Its childish and its petty.

greenandgold01
04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I think once we've established ourselves in DI and an oppertunity comes up to have an arena built, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

JBB
04-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, certainly your right 02, and nobody means to diminish our accomplishments. *Pray tell!!! its just a way to mock the DII school.

I think NDSU can win national championships, and have demonstrated that all along. *To expect one now is pushing it. *The interest for me is the game. *

I clearly noticed a higher level of play in the Fabulous Fargo Dome last year. *That is happening in all of our sports. *This is not DII anymore. *At least in football, no DII team could win consistently or even often at the level the ball is now being played. *I think the BISON clearly pointed that out last season just as the Womens BB team pointed that out.

The mens team had a tougher time of it, but I think the trend was clear. In a yr or two the same mens schedule will result in 20 some wins.

Maybe Baseball can get to 500? I think softball already is. Wrestling has been held back by being in DII. Bucky lost a lot of talent he could have coached if he had been DI.

We will win National Championships, but first we have to win the games.

Bisonguy
04-16-2005, 11:07 PM
So on that premise, if we have moved up to D1 in football in lets say ten years.

NDSU football is DI, along with all other sports. I would rather support a move to the DI-A subclassification for football than adding hockey. Unless, of course, a major donor steps forward and donates an arena that could house hockey for NDSU, and some major $$$ is donated to start a DI hockey program (and the corresponding women's hockey team or other women's sport).

Hager780
04-17-2005, 06:48 AM
C'mon guys. I will tell you that Bison Fans paid attention to DII when the Bison were DII--which was not that long ago! There is no need to continually put down DII now. *Especially continually doing so here. *Focus on supporting the Bison in the present and leave it at that. *The last thing NDSU needs is fans to get arrogant about the whole "We are DI" thing. *Its childish and its petty. * *

FINALLY!! A voice of reason on this board!! (WOW! about time! ;D)

Hager780
04-17-2005, 07:04 AM
We will win National Championships, but first we have to win the games.

What a profound statement!! he's exactly RIGHT you guys!!! FIRST WE WIN GAMES....THEN WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! :D :D :D This guy IS A GENIUS!!! He's figured out the FORMULA for ATHLETIC SUCCESS!!!!!! (without having to visit a park in Sioux Falls!!)

Here's what we have to look forward too...
--Possibly a di-aa football title sometime before 2010 - GRANTED, It is the MINOR league of division one but we'll take it!!!
Of course, we can win MANY games and never get a sniff in MBB or WBB - March Madness will last 4 days and POOF!!! Most probably....SPANKED by Valpariso in revenge for their NO SCHOLARSHIP FB team's EMBARASSING dI LOSS to us in our transitional year - WOW!! That must have hurt!!! (or maybe they didn't even notice!)
Now to other sports....hmmm...WRESTLING?...MAYBE (because we know the guys that compete in wrestling LIKE TO SNIFF....things... :D - i'll leave it at that)
Softball and Baseball - the first titanic clash between the U of M and NDSU drew 419 fans :P :P :P WOW!!

OUR FUTURE'S SO BRIGHT!! I GOTTA WEAR SHADES!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hager780
04-17-2005, 07:09 AM
NDSU football is DI, along with all other sports.*

NO!! We're NOT!! Division i-aa is the NORTHERN SUN of real division one. If we would have had ANY BALLS!! We would have gone for the full meal deal and THEN WE COULD SAY!!! We ARE division ONE on par (at least theoretically) with Nebraska, Florida, et al...STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID!

JBB
04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
The NSIC, do you mean the premier, 10 team DII athletic conference with the coveted guaranteed football playoff spot? *Because if you do I agree, DI-AA football is the best football in the country not playing with a full 85 scholarships. *To play DI-AA you have to play DI-A in all other sports. **

Thats a far cry from trying to talk the entire NCAA into allowing you to play DI-AA football and retain DII for all other sports? *Or maybe leave DII altogether and move the other sports to DIII? *Im surprised your looking to DI-A football. * Thats going to be tough considering your thinking about pulling that huge check you always write. *

NDSU does have one more notch in Division I, to the Bowl Division or DI-A, and that step is about as big as the initial move to Division I, not counting a bigger stadium of course. *We have a little growing to do before we make that move. *
And I dont know what the we is about? *Do you have something in your pocket besides another big donation to NDSU? * *

Bisonguy
04-17-2005, 03:35 PM
....SPANKED by Valpariso in revenge for their NO SCHOLARSHIP FB team's EMBARASSING dI LOSS to us in our transitional year -

Any real Bison fan knows how to spell Valparaiso.

Nice use of ellipses....... Hmmm..........

Bisonguy
04-17-2005, 03:38 PM
NO!! We're NOT!! *Division i-aa is the NORTHERN SUN of real division one. *If we would have had ANY BALLS!! *We would have gone for the full meal deal and THEN WE COULD SAY!!! We ARE division ONE on par (at least theoretically) with Nebraska, Florida, et al...STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID!

Find the Division I-AA membership handbook for me. Oh wait, there's just ONE for ALL of DI (including the DI-A and DI-AA subclassifications). ::) Guess that makes NDSU the real DI. Case closed, goodnight, Alice.

NDSU_grad
04-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Alot of ellipses, but I think the sentences are way too coherent to be "you know who." That said the guy obviously wants to be banned and should be.

kchats
04-17-2005, 08:11 PM
C'mon guys. I will tell you that Bison Fans paid attention to DII when the Bison were DII--which was not that long ago! There is no need to continually put down DII now. *Especially continually doing so here. *Focus on supporting the Bison in the present and leave it at that. *The last thing NDSU needs is fans to get arrogant about the whole "We are DI" thing. *Its childish and its petty. * *

I have been giving money to the Team Makers since I graduated with the hopes the Bison would move to division I. Division II is nearly impossible to follow when you live in an area with major division I schools. We only followed division II because we were in it. NDSU isn't in it so I don't pay any attention to it anymore. I might run across a score in a headline while I read the NDSU stories online but I don't waste my time reading the story. You might consider that wrong but I don't have time to keep up with something that has no bearing on what happens at NDSU. A division II school could go undefeated and that wouldn't keep NDSU out of the playoffs because we aren't division II. I'm proud of our division II accomplishments but really now that we are division I all they do is show that NDSU has a committment to be the best they can be across the board. I can't wait until next season when the schedules are full of quality division I opponents and the incoming freshmen are that further removed of anything to do with division II. This message board will eventually be purged of any division II discussion and the sooner the better. Nothing that happens in division II affects NDSU in any way shape or form so why even discuss it?

kchats
04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
NO!! We're NOT!! *Division i-aa is the NORTHERN SUN of real division one. *If we would have had ANY BALLS!! *We would have gone for the full meal deal and THEN WE COULD SAY!!! We ARE division ONE on par (at least theoretically) with Nebraska, Florida, et al...STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID!

UND isn't even division I and you idoits keep spouting off about being division I. We are division I in all sports. Yes football is division I-AA but they still have the same requirements for eligibility as division I. The only difference between division I and division I-AA football is the number of scholarships and the fact the I-AA settles its championship on the field in a playoff system.

Bisonguy
04-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Alot of ellipses, but I think the sentences are way too coherent to be "you know who." *That said the guy obviously wants to be banned and should be.

Maybe he has a grammar coach or a 'word-a-day' calendar. ;D ;D

UND92
04-17-2005, 11:05 PM
UND isn't even division I and you idoits keep spouting off about being division I. We are division I in all sports. Yes football is division I-AA but they still have the same requirements for eligibility as division I. The only difference between division I and division I-AA football is the number of scholarships and the fact the I-AA settles its championship on the field in a playoff system.

There is one more difference between D-I and AA. QUALITY OF PLAY

JBB
04-17-2005, 11:32 PM
20 some extra scholarships really make a difference. Being in DII you should know that?

kchats
04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
There is one more difference between D-I and AA. *QUALITY OF PLAY

There is also a large quality of play difference between division I-AA and division II. Division II is also much more lax in admission requirements.

Bisonguy
04-18-2005, 12:37 AM
There is one more difference between D-I and AA. *QUALITY OF PLAY
DI-AA is part of DI, just like DI-A is part of DI.

Yeah, you should have told DI-A Navy that the quality of play by DI-AA Delaware is a lot worse two years ago. ::)

Maybe you could ask DI-A Mississippi State how much less the quality of play is by DI-AA Maine. ::)

UND92
04-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Yeah, your right. There is a huge difference between AA and DII. Thats why the bison beat montana, a AA powerhouse and lost to the sioux and SCSU in the same year. You guys remember that SCSU game don't you. Didn't they knock you out of the playoffs that game. I know I heard some angry bison fans on the radio the next week questioning some of the coaching decisions at the end of that game. But you did beat montana. We all know there is a much bigger difference between D-I and AA, then there is between AA and DII. It's alright to admit it.

Bisonguy
04-18-2005, 03:19 AM
* We all know there is a much bigger difference between D-I and AA, then there is between AA and DII. *It's alright to admit it.

DI-AA is DI, and once you get that through your thick skull, the conversation can move on. It's alright to admit it.

UND92
04-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Let me put it this way. FLORIDA, FLORIDA ST. USC, MICHIGAN, OKLAHOMA, and many others are big time DI football, which is heads and shoulders above the likes of, well, exactly, I can't even think who the powers of AA are. I'm saying there is a big gap here, and not as big of gap between AA and DII. Like it or not, that is the truth.

BisonBizzo
04-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Didn't this last year Maine beat Mississippi St. and then Miss St. turned it around and beat Florida a couple weeks later?

Maybe the heads, shoulders, everything else can be connected.

kchats
04-18-2005, 05:00 AM
Let me put it this way. *FLORIDA, FLORIDA ST. USC, MICHIGAN, OKLAHOMA, and many others are big time DI football, which is heads and shoulders above the likes of, well, exactly, I can't even think who the powers of AA are. *I'm saying there is a big gap here, and not as big of gap between AA and DII. *Like it or not, that is the truth.

Obviously the UND Administration sees the big gap between division I-AA and division II. I think the exact quote last year when they refused to play the Bison was we won't play them until the playing field is leveled. If the move is so short why don't the Sioux make it? Once you are in transition it'll be interesting to hear all of your comments.

Hager780
04-18-2005, 06:40 AM

because they have NO SCHOLARSHIPS and you managed to make them your BIATCHES in a "BIG DI GAME"???? That load of crap was joke and you know it. They made Crookston look like a contender!!! I'm suprised they didn't make ndsu a "quilt" during halftime...just as a peace offering for a school of "no-prospect losers!"

JBB
04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
...... We all know there is a much bigger difference between D-I and AA, then there is between AA and DII. *It's alright to admit it.

I would like to know how you became an expert at DI-AA football? You have never seen a DI-AA team in grand forks. ;)

A few yrs ago I might have said that myself, but after last season its clear there is a major difference between DI-AA and DII.

Carson Newman was a great example. They are about as good of DII team as you will see. They lost to NDSU by about 35 last season. They were certainly as good as any regional DII team playing in the overblown NCC.

kchats
04-20-2005, 04:17 AM
I thought you all might be interested in these official pages from the NCAA website. They have a listing that lists the schools by name alphabetically and they list the schools primary classification. I thought this might help those of you that have yet to understand NDSU is a division I school as is SDSU while UND is a division II school. I hope this official page clears it up for those of you that don't understand. I do see one error where they list UC-Davis and Northern Colorado as division II but it should be accurate for the schools from the Dakotas.

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/u

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/n

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/s

Bisonguy
04-20-2005, 04:32 AM
I thought you all might be interested in these official pages from the NCAA website. *They have a listing that lists the schools by name alphabetically and they list the schools primary classification. *I thought this might help those of you that have yet to understand NDSU is a division I school as is SDSU while UND is a division II school. *I hope this official page clears it up for those of you that don't understand. *I do see one error where they list UC-Davis and Northern Colorado as division II but it should be accurate for the schools from the Dakotas.

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/u

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/n

http://www.ncaasports.com/schools/s

8)