PDA

View Full Version : Bison Baseball

sornball
05-10-2005, 03:33 AM
Just wanted to know how the Bison Baseball team is doing in attendance?

Bisonguy
05-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Here's the attendance numbers-

vs. VCSU - 442
vs. UND -630
vs. UWS- 384
vs. Minn. -920
vs. SDSU-181 (can't find the other game attendance numbers)
vs. Concordia- 226
vs. UMD- 235
vs. UMD-234

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:00 AM
How many does Red Hawk hold?

kchats
05-10-2005, 04:07 AM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&ATCLID=69830

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:08 AM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&ATCLID=69830

Thanks Chats, one more question. Is baseball a revenue generating sport?

Bisonguy
05-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks Chats, one more question. *Is baseball a revenue generating sport?

Yes, they charge for tickets.

Edit- If you meant revenue positive or profit producing, I doubt it.

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Do student's have to pay?

Bisonguy
05-10-2005, 04:16 AM
AFAIK- no. They get in for free with that "activity fee" they pay every semester.

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Did they charge for tickets before they were DI?

Bisonguy
05-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I think it's been $5 adult/$3 kids for a couple years at least.

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:26 AM
NDSU doesn't break down there budget by sport like UND? Right? I am only wondering to see if they have seen a rise in attendance and revenue from this year to last year. I am assuming the budget is larger for the baseball team this year, but was wondering if anyone knew by how much it increased?

Bisonguy
05-10-2005, 04:33 AM
NDSU breaks it down by sport, but it's fairly difficult to find (although the only UND budget I've found is the "projected" budget broken down by sport, not the actual revenue or expenses broken down by sport). Can't remember where I saw NDSU's exact numbers, it may have been in the state of the University numbers or something.

I believe that NDSU received some guarantees this year that helped offset the reduced revenue (mostly due to a lower number of home games).

No idea on the budget increase. :-/

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks BG,

Let me know if you want the UND numbers for this year, I can get them to you.

kchats
05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
NDSU doesn't break down there budget by sport like UND? Right? *I am only wondering to see if they have seen a rise in attendance and revenue from this year to last year. *I am assuming the budget is larger for the baseball team this year, but was wondering if anyone knew by how much it increased?

Not a good year to look at this type of thing with NDSU since some teams played no home games. The soccer team played every game on the road. Yes they got paid for the games because they were all division I so they probably offset their loss of revenue from no home games. The baseball team also played quite a few big time programs and probably got paid pretty well for those games. The guarantees probably helped keep NDSU fairly close to break even this season. I expect revenues to increase as the Bison bring the division I competition to Fargo.

sornball
05-10-2005, 04:51 AM
As well you should. It probably isn't the best time to look at it, but it just interested me, since Baseball doesn't generate revenue at UND. If UND is going to make the switch they will more than likely have charge for tickets, and I was wondering if it affected attendance at NDSU this year. Since NDSU has always charged, there is no real basis for comparison, unless ticket prices increased.

D
05-10-2005, 04:57 AM
As well you should. *It probably isn't the best time to look at it, but it just interested me, since Baseball doesn't generate revenue at UND. *If UND is going to make the switch they will more than likely have charge for tickets, and I was wondering if it affected attendance at NDSU this year. *Since NDSU has always charged, there is no real basis for comparison, unless ticket prices increased.

Ace,

That is something that many think should be done at UND, charge at baseball games. What the Hell, why not charge $2 for non-students, maybe the athletic department makes another $1000 year, all that does is help. I don't think you would see a change in attendence. Let's face it, the non-students that attend are only parents and the big-time baseball people anyway, it is not as though many average joe fans attend UND, or NDSU baseball games for that matter.

sornball
05-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Big D,

Couldn't agree more. I think that if they charged for tix they would generate some revenue, probably about as much as they do for v-ball. See you tomorrow night against the big whappers.