PDA

View Full Version : Great West Wrestling Conference?

Paulie
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Per the Greeley Tribune:

WRESTLING: The formation of a new conference is past the preliminary stage as head coach Jack Maughan initiated talks with teams from North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley State, Air Force, Wyoming, Northern Iowa, Fresno State (Calif.) and Eastern Illinois.

Possible names for the conference include the Great West Wrestling Conference and the Western Intercollegiate Wrestling Conference.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20050518/SPORTS/105180098

Bisonguy
05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
From what I remember seeing in The Forum, this conference is pretty much a done deal as soon as NDSU/SDSU/UNC are postseason eligible in 2006/2007.

kchats
05-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Is there a slight possibility the new conference of independents might end up in a conference called the Great West Conference? If they name the wrestling conference the Great West Wrestling Conference it seems to me it lends itself to being called the Great West Conference and various universities will place unattached sports in the conference. I noticed UNC has a bunch of sports the Big Sky doesn't sponsor so they might even be involved somewhat. I would prefer the conference have cut and dried members and also high membership requirements so it forces teams to be at the top of all scholarship requirements.

It seems to be a trend so don't be surprised if the new conference is the Great West Conference.

IowaBison
05-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I disagree, the prospective members of the conference are quality wrestling schools.

Having a decent GWFC and GWWC, though having different schools, would be fine with me.

89rabbit
05-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Another story on the topic, highlights from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.php?story_id=1624&page=25

SDSU athletic teams still in search of conference home
BY MIKE JOHNSON

With the end of the school year now a reality, SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien hopes that by summer's end, at least one more of the school's sports teams will have a conference to participate in as the SDSU wrestling squad nears an agreement.
"By the end of the summer we should come to some formalized agreement with a group of schools that want to always compete against each other in the regular season," Oien said. "We hope to have that done and in place for next year."
Oien said the group, would include SDSU, NDSU, Northern Colorado, Air Force Academy, Fresno State and Wyoming.
If the agreement takes place, the wrestling team will be the second team to find a conference, joining the football team, which is entering its second season as a member of the Great West Football Conference . . . .

Go State! ;D

IowaBison
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Another story on the topic, highlights from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.php?story_id=1624&page=25

SDSU athletic teams still in search of conference home
BY MIKE JOHNSON

With the end of the school year now a reality, SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien hopes that by summer's end, at least one more of the school's sports teams will have a conference to participate in as the SDSU wrestling squad nears an agreement.
"By the end of the summer we should come to some formalized agreement with a group of schools that want to always compete against each other in the regular season," Oien said. "We hope to have that done and in place for next year."
Oien said the group, would include SDSU, NDSU, Northern Colorado, Air Force Academy, Fresno State and Wyoming.
If the agreement takes place, the wrestling team will be the second team to find a conference, joining the football team, which is entering its second season as a member of the Great West Football Conference . *. *. *.

Go State! *;D

i wonder why northern iowa isn't on that list?

Bison_Kent
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I thought Eastern Illinois was another school mentioned for the new wrestling league.