PDA

View Full Version : Latest on the conference search

kchats
07-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Here is a link to a story from the Forum regarding the conference search for NDSU and SDSU. Doesn't sound like much is happening on that front. You may need a BisonZone membership to read it I'm not sure.

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=97889

SDbison
07-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Just read that article......have to agree there is nothing new. Much as I know it has been said many times before, I think the best fit would be the Big Sky. It is too bad the BS conference is more worried about getting a patsy like Northern Colorado than quality competition like NDSU and SDSU. This probably belongs in smack but getting snubbed by the Big Sky and begging for the Mid Con just seems wrong!

Paulie
07-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Just read that article......have to agree there is nothing new. *Much as I know it has been said many times before, I think the best fit would be the Big Sky. *It is too bad the BS conference is more worried about getting a patsy like Northern Colorado than quality competition like NDSU and SDSU. *This probably belongs in smack but getting snubbed by the Big Sky and begging for the Mid Con just seems wrong! *

A patsy, please explain?

sambini
07-18-2005, 02:59 AM
We will get in a league. Just like the article said be patient. Gene will find us a place. I still don't think the Big Sky is dead.

WYOBISONMAN
07-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Sambini is right.......once Sac State and Portland can no longer hold the NCAA BB autobid hostage by virtue of NDSU and SDSU becoming post season eligible, our chances of getting in increase by a huge proportion. Politics and patients is what this will take. And......UNC will be supportive of NDSU/SDSU membership in the Sky. It is good to get another vote in our favore as a Big Sky member.

Paulie
07-18-2005, 03:34 PM
UNC will be supportive of NDSU/SDSU membership in the Sky. *It is good to get another vote in our favore as a Big Sky member.

How do you know this?

WYOBISONMAN
07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't think anyone knows anything for sure, but logic would seem to indicate that is what would happen with UNC. UNC has had a long and positive relationship with NDSU athletics. I would suspect that they would like that to continue.

IowaBison
07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
I think that WyoBison Man is right about UNC, they are most likely going to be on the list of allies in the Big Sky.

So where does that put us?

In two years, needing a majority to receive an invite/

Montana-Yes
Montana State-Yes
UNC-Yes

Sac State-No (if they even care!)

Everybody else??????

roadwarrior
07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
The trouble is with the last round, the presidents of the Big Sky decided that ALL of them must be in favor of looking at schools, not a majority.

IowaBison
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
The trouble is with the last round, the presidents of the Big Sky decided that ALL of them must be in favor of looking at schools, not a majority.

because if they would have voted for NDSU/SDSU some schools would have bolted effectively killing the Big Sky.

In two years, teh BSC can trade (up) for the Bison and the Bunnies.

JBB
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
I think the BSC is maybe 50-50, or worse, unless something changes. The resolve against the travel issue is pretty strong from some members. Im sure if UCD would have expressed interest it would have been them instead of UNC. It really has very little to do with how good they are or the fact they are a year ahead of us, its all location. Look at DAC and how travel issues are paramount to their future direction.

I dont think its much different for us. Unless a decent league can be made out of an east/west BSC, probably meaning a new DII school or 2 will have to move up, we are going to be faced with making a new conference or waiting as an independent for something to change.

BISON_PRIDE
07-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Another good year by the Dakota schools and another pathetic year of fan support by Sac. St. and PSU and perhaps the real powers in the Big Sky will be ready for a change. Our current schedules will give Chapman and Taylor opportunities to drum up support for conf. membership. At least the Big Sky is talking about us, and many of their fans support our membership as based on reading their message boards. If by next year at this time there is no movement by prospective conferences then more drastic measures need to take effect, perhaps a loosely knit conference of independents.

JBB
07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Theres no benefit to waiting for a drastic change in the BSC. *It will probably take a yr anyway, but we should work toward a new conference. *Even if we left later it would be set up to help other schools moving into the division without affiliation. *It also could work out through an evolution of its own to be something worth while.

IowaBison
07-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Theres no benefit to waiting for a drastic change in the BSC. *It will probably take a yr anyway, but we should work toward a new conference. *Even if we left later it would be set up to help other schools moving into the division without affiliation. *It also could work out through an evolution of its own to be something worth while.

I agree completely JBB.

There is no need to wait.

The GWFC was a fantastic idea.

The only thing that hurts is that we will be associated with some institution that should have nothing to do with NDSU and that might hurt.

Though it would be fun to have a couple years of Longwood jokes, though I don't think anyone on this site should ever post the picture of 300 lb women again!

WYOBISONMAN
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Clearly the indie schools out there are not a great group to form a conf. with. They are not peer institutions, they would generate no regional or rivalry interest. They would help out with scheduling. It would be fine to align with them to help with scheduling. The bottom line is that, if NDSU were to join such a group of schools, we would and should be looking to upgrade the conference affiliation.

The GWFC gave us an affiliation with some schools that NDSU had a long history with. The new indie BB conference would not have any such schools with the exception of SDSU. It would give us a title (of sorts) to compete for in our other sports, but then again in BB we played in the independent tourney this past year and that seemed a reasonable surrogate for a conference title.

Other than scheduling I am not sure there is any great advantage that would be gained by a new conference. This new conference would have a long road ahead of it before gaining a BB autobid. Once NDSU is post season eligible better suitors will come knocking on our door. And, once NDSU is post season eligible we would not want to be in a conference without a BB autobid.