PDA

View Full Version : Mid Continent from Bison Zone media blog

kchats
09-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Jeff Kolpak had this to say in his media blog on Bison Zone.

Mid-Con needs help

The Bison football team is off to a 3-0 start and a No. 8 ranking in the Division I-AA top 25 poll. The soccer team is 5-1 with four of the wins coming against Division I teams. If you're living in the Mid-Continent Conference, you must ask yourself: do we want to continue to hang our hat on the Centenary's and the Chicago State's of the world?

The Mid-Con would be smart to grab NDSU and SDSU. That league needs a state university presence instead of the commuter college feel it has right now. It was announced on Monday that NDSU is continuing to move up the research dollar ladder -- an academic look the Mid-Con sorely needs.

Posted by: Jeff Kolpack on 9/20/2005 at 9:40 AM

TheBisonator
09-21-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm hoping and dreaming for a conference just as much as you, and I hope it will happen soon. It is my belief that if there is no invitation from a conference by next fall, something will definitely be wrong with the situation.

Just because NDSU is isolated from other DI schools does not mean that it should be the only big reason in conferences rejecting us (travel issues). I mean, shouldn't they be weighing the pros and cons and figuring out if the pros outweigh the cons, and then if that is the case, accepting a certain school?? Travel/isolation seems to be our ONLY (yes, I mean ONLY) con for a prospective conference, so if no conferences accept us, then what else could be the problem??

I mean, we have lots of reserach dollars, we're fully academically accredited, 12,000+ students, located in a mid-sized population base, have teriffic athletics, we have the athletic money, etc. So, like I said, what else could be the problem here??

It will be interesting to see what happens during the course of the next year.

mikelsch
09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
The Mid-Con is down to 3 finalists for their commissioner job. Sounds like the old commissioner didn't look too much at possible expansion, which didn't satisfy all the presidents and ADs. Will be really interesting to see what will happen once the new person is hired.

sambini
09-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Hopefully we can move on to a new league and get some of that NCAA basketball money. And get feel what MARCH MADNESS IS ALL ABOUT.