PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Club Hockey

airmail
07-01-2004, 12:46 PM
It appears they're getting the coach from Minot State. Here's a link to the brief article in the Herald.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/news/local/9052382.htm

JBB
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Is he going to coach club hockey? It almost sounds like we are going to play in DIII. I suppose that would be ok. If a DII team can play in DI a DI team should be able to play in DIII?

fight_on_sioux
07-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Brian Wilkie is a tremendous hire by NDSU. I'm from Minot and the way he started the MSU program from scratch and made it into a national contender in the club hockey scene was amazing. It would not suprise me in the least bit if NDSU had a division I hockey team in the near future (at least five years). ;)

dakotadan
07-09-2004, 01:48 AM
I would absolutely love to see NDSU with a DI hockey team. That would be one heck of a great rivalry to get going. Of course by the time NDSU hockey gets up and running, UND will be DI in all sports also. Oh well, we will be starting a new rivalry about the same time as we continue our old rivalry. That will be great!!! :D

WYOBISONMAN
07-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Heck, I must be out of touch.....I though the NDSU Hockey Club died several years ago during some financial problems....what is up??

IowaBison
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM
if we pursue hockey, are we going to be one of the teams that 'try' ?

roadwarrior
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
The club hockey was revived last year. Still just a club - not a part of the NDSU athletic department.

BisonBryce
07-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I wonder if wilkie needs a goalie coach. I guess I'll try to contact him after Aug 15.

Big_BisonFan
10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
FYI: Here is the Club Hockey website.

http://www.ndsubisonhockey.com/

Paulie
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
It seems to me a lot of these college hockey clubs miss out on a big opportunity to make money. One of the coolest athletic items is the hockey sweater, these guys could sell a ton of those things and make a small fortune.

Rodentia
10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Are there that many people sufficiently interested in a club team to buy hockey sweaters?

Club sports are a lot different than most people imagine, they really have become more sophisticated. It used to be that club teams would play the local junior college, or a nearby school's JV team, or the Legion team or whoever you could get to play.

But it has become real intercollegiate athletics. You play college teams, and play for championships.

dakotadan
10-14-2005, 02:28 AM
Just curious, is NDSU's club team part of a conference?

Also, for anyone who is interested USCHO.com does have a club hockey section on their Board. Maybe some of the players and fans want to check it out.

http://board.uscho.com/

Tuk
10-14-2005, 04:34 AM
I would absolutely love to see NDSU with a DI hockey team. That would be one heck of a great rivalry to get going. Of course by the time NDSU hockey gets up and running, UND will be DI in all sports also. Oh well, we will be starting a new rivalry about the same time as we continue our old rivalry. That will be great!!! *:D

I think going D I in hockey would be a terrible idea. First of all, lets get squared away with the other programs in the athetic program before everything else. Secondly, doing this would only give the UND fans more fuel for their fires of contempt of NDSU. This is all UND fans need to hear to start saying that NDSU is just a UND-wannabe...that NDSU's only goal was to start the coveted D I hockey program (which leads to immense fame and fortune ;D)...club hockey is good, but everything else can and SHOULD wait.

Big_BisonFan
10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Just curious, is NDSU's club team part of a conference?

Also, for anyone who is interested USCHO.com does have a club hockey section on their Board. Maybe some of the players and fans want to check it out.

http://board.uscho.com/

They are an independent team in Div-I of the ACHA (American Club Hockey Association).

bison_baseball
10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Secondly, doing this would only give the UND fans more fuel for their fires of contempt of NDSU. *This is all UND fans need to hear to start saying that NDSU is just a UND-wannabe...

Come on....are we really going to base our decision on going DI in hockey merely on the fact that we are worried what the UND fans will say of us? *This is an opportunity for NDSU to grow as a university, *for the city to have high competitive hockey again and to regain the amazing rivalry between us and UND!!! *This would be a great opportunity down the road for NDSU but I do agree that we need to concentrate on the sports we have right now and trying to compete at all levels in this new era of DI athletics.

sambini
10-15-2005, 05:22 AM
It will not happen.

GFBison
10-27-2005, 04:51 AM
Although I like watching hockey, I don't want NDSU to go DI in hockey.

Things that bother me about hockey:

A large number of players are drafted by NHL teams before playing one college game. Many only play one or two seasons before going pro.

Kids are leaving their families and high school, sometimes before their junior year, to play in the USHL to prepare for DI Hockey.

Or, they finish playing at their high school then spend a year or two playing in the USHL to prepare for the college level.

mikelsch
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Not to mention the large operating expenses that suck resources from your other programs.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I think hockey would be an excellent option maybe ten or fifteen years down the road if they have a conference for their other sports and have them all well established and hitting on all cylinders. I don't think it should happen at the expense of existing sports, however.

soofan15
10-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Having NDSU start up a D-I hockey program would be the single worst idea ever. First off, they would be a terrible team. How many kids would want to go play for a team with no tradition, when they can go play for UND or Minnesota or Duluth or St. Cloud or anyone with any hockey reputation for that matter. I just think it is just too difficult for any college to start a D-I sport (any sport) in this day and age.

kchats
10-28-2005, 11:38 PM
St. Cloud has a tradition and a reputation? They started hockey what 5 years ago? I do agree with one point of your post though why would UND want to move up to division I and have to try and compete with NDSU for athletes? Why would a division I athlete want to play at UND when they could play at NDSU or SDSU with division I tradition and success? ;)

soofan15
10-28-2005, 11:58 PM
What tradition and reputation do NDSU and SDSU have? they've been there a year and a half. Give me a break.

BisonBacker
10-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Having NDSU start up a D-I hockey program would be the single worst idea ever. *First off, they would be a terrible team. *How many kids would want to go play for a team with no tradition, when they can go play for UND or Minnesota or Duluth or St. Cloud or anyone with any hockey reputation for that matter. *I just think it is just too difficult for any college to start a D-I sport (any sport) in this day and age.
This post was just way to funny not to respond to. Yeah St. Cloud and Mankato some real hockey powerhouse traditions there. You really need to think before you post garbage like that, oh wait your a sue fan, explains alot right there. Face it just the thought of NDSU starting any hockey program worrys you to the point you post dribble like you have. Face it your a fargo wannabe and thats it. You follow in the dust NDSU will lead like it always does. ;D

soofan15
10-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Yeah an NDSU hockey program worries me just about as much as the NDSU football team worries USC. You are a nothin-ass piece of trash. Go back to you shanty and to your boyfriend.

BisonBacker
10-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Another brilliant post from a susie grad / fargo wannabe. Written with real class and intellect. Do you have any more gems to share with us? ;D
Maybe you can tell us what a powerhouse Football schedule you have. I heard your looking at scheduling the South Dakota School for the Blind next year. Would be right up your alley. ;D

kchats
10-29-2005, 03:15 AM
What tradition and reputation do NDSU and SDSU have? they've been there a year and a half. Give me a break.

Did you see the winking icon? I was making fun of your idiotic statement that St. Cloud State had tradition. I was also making fun of your statement that NDSU would never be able to recruit against UND if they ever decide to add hockey. By your argument UND would never have become better than the whipping boy the Bison had in the 80's and early 90's. The games were never even close all the way through the 80's so why did recruits go to UND when they could have signed at NDSU and played in the shadows of 8 national championships. Well division II cut scholarships and Rocky got a little too comfortable in his recruiting. Good coaches can always recruit players and Fargo is a much better city than Grand Forks.

soofan15
10-29-2005, 07:46 AM
You keep talking about how weak UND's schedule is, but look at this. *These are the Massey Ratings, which ranks teams based upon Win-Loss record relative to strength of Schedule. *http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf * * Since I know that many NDSU fans have difficulty using high-tech objects, I'll make it easy for you:
101. UND with a 1.197 ranking. *
142. NDSU with a .872 ranking. *
All this talk about UND having such a weak schedule is now considered bullsh*t.

mhmm
10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I was also making fun of your statement that NDSU would never be able to recruit against UND if they ever decide to add hockey.

If they were to move up, there is no way that NDSU could recruit against UND in hockey. I don't see how you could think otherwise.

BisonBacker
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Massey ratings don't mean crap, No objectivity in them at all, trying to rank teams in different divisions when they play no common opponents is a joke but keep telling yourself that. How undii can rank in anything with the opponents they play is the biggest joke.

soofan15
10-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Massey ratings don't mean crap, *No objectivity in them at all, trying to rank teams in different divisions when they play no common opponents is a joke but keep telling yourself that. * How undii can rank in anything with the opponents they play is the biggest joke.
The rankings don't show who the better team is, the rankings show a rating relative to W-L record and SOS. People just believe that UND plays a cupcake schedule, and that is simply untrue. For example, 6 of the teams UND plays are ranked in the regional poll, and 4 are ranked in the national poll. I'm not trying to make a point about how is or isn't the better team, I'm trying to say that UND's schedule isn't close to as weak as everyone makes it out to be.

JBB
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM

My goodness! *NDSU and SDSU have played 92 times. *That goes back a ways. *probably 1900 or something like that, if not earlier. *I think there is a tradition there, in any sport, I might add.

kchats
10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
If they were to move up, there is no way that NDSU could recruit against UND in hockey. I don't see how you could think otherwise.

How did UND end up recruiting against the Bison following their run in the 80's of all those national championships? *How did K-State become good in football after being futility U when they shared a conference with Nebraska? *How can South Florida be a good team with Miami, Florida and Florida State in Florida? *There are only so many scholarships a team can offer and a good coach with a great school will always be able to recruit talent athletes to play for them. *

NDSU is not starting a hockey program because we are division I in all sports and we don't need a division I hockey program to claim we are division I. *We are also in a transition period with our other athletic teams and it would be foolish to waste any money starting a program from the ground up that costs alot of money. *NDSU also doesn't have an arena or practice rinks so that is another very large expense. *NDSU is in the process of fundraising for renovations at the Bison Sports Arena which will aid our basketball programs and other programs as we continue through this transition. *We have a conference to find for all of our sports as well.

Hockey is very far down the list in priority for the administration.

soofan15
10-29-2005, 10:53 PM
My goodness! *NDSU and SDSU have played 92 times. *That goes back a ways. *probably 1900 or something like that, if not earlier. *I think there is a tradition there, in any sport, I might add.
Not tradition against each other, DI-AA tradition.

JBB
10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh come on now, I dont think you can make that distinction. We still play and the history is there. The transition doesnt mean anything except SDSU will visit the Fabulous Fargo Dome to decide the best football team in the Dakotas. We will decide the best BB team this winter.

dakotadan
10-30-2005, 01:44 AM
I could see NDSU becoming a very competative team in hockey very quickly. Due to it's location and *quality of education, I don't see NDSU having problems recruiting. Also look at UNO, they have had success in the CCHA and their program isn't very old.

However, I don't think anyone actually believes that NDSU will consider hockey any time in the near future. Everyone seems to agree that there are many other issues that need to be worked out first. I just don't understand why Bison fans are so freaked out at the slightest mention of having a hockey team. You all seemed to be so excited about adding equestrian. As long as all of your other sports are fully funded and in a conference I don't see why you would all be so against NDSU adding hockey in the future.

kchats
10-30-2005, 01:33 AM
We need to establish all the other sports first. We also need to get the BSA renovated and we don't have a hockey arena. We can't ask for money for a new hockey arena for a while. I also would love to see the other sports well established before it is even considered. As you can probably tell it will be a little while until they are all established and running smoothly. Another issue that is more important than adding hockey is getting all the teams into a conference. Sounds farther and farther away doesn't it? Now do you see why hockey is low on the totem pole?

soofan15
10-30-2005, 03:11 AM
What I meant is that neither team has any D-IAA tradition. Clearly the two teams have a great deal of tradition playing against each other.

kchats
10-30-2005, 03:21 AM
I was joking when I said we had division I-AA tradition. It was a shot at you for saying St. Cloud had a hockey tradition after having a team for about 5 years.

soofan15
10-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Understandable. I was implying that when NDSU starts a hockey program, SCSU will have more prestige in their hockey program. Just as NDSU will have more prestige in their D-IAA football program.

Rodentia
10-30-2005, 05:18 AM
And if NDSU added lacrosse program, it would have less prestige than established lacrosse programs. Of course, football itself has higher prestige than lacrosse or other minor sports.

mhmm
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I could see NDSU becoming a very competitive team in hockey very quickly. Due to its location and*quality of education, I don't see NDSU having problems recruiting. Also look at UNO, they have had success in the CCHA and their program isn't very old.

Who has UNO ever recruited away from UND in hockey? Nobody. NDSU also wouldn't have the benefit of being in a good conference in the CCHA, they would be a CHA school. The argument wasn't about NDSU becoming competitive in hockey, it was about them recruiting against UND. NDSU would probably become competitive on the ice and in recruiting in the CHA, but no top recruit is going to play anywhere in the CHA. UND gets top recruits, the only schools that compare to UND in terms of recruiting are Minnesota and Michigan.

That said, I think NDSU hockey would be fun, but it's not going to happen.

soofan15
10-30-2005, 05:08 PM
And if NDSU added lacrosse program, it would have less prestige than established lacrosse programs. *Of course, football itself has higher prestige than lacrosse or other minor sports.
In North Dakota, beer pong has more prestige than lacrosse.

sambini
10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
How is UNO doing in Hockey?

bincitysioux
10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
How is UNO doing in Hockey?

UNO is 2-2 so far this season. Last year they were 4th in the nation in attendance, averaging over 8,000 per game.

somebison
10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
UNO is 2-2 so far this season. *Last year they were 4th in the nation in attendance, averaging over 8,000 per game.

or 6418

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/archived_stats/hockey/2004/teamcume.htm

dakotadan
10-30-2005, 10:20 PM
UNO's first season in hockey was 97-98. They ended up making the CCHA championship game in 2000 by upsetting #1 Michigan in the semifinals. The last 2 seasons haven't been the greatest for UNO but they have some good players returning this year and should do fairly well.

On a side note, UNO has had 4 players from NoDak on their team and currently has 1 playing this season. Also, I believe one of their coaches is from ND.

bincitysioux
10-30-2005, 10:47 PM
or 6418

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/archived_stats/hockey/2004/teamcume.htm

Sorry, I pulled up 2003-04 numbers.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/icehockey/1/2003-04/attendance.html

IH8daSioux
10-31-2005, 01:26 AM
JUST go to that country 3 hours north and grab 15 junior hockey players from canada.

OH WAIT>... that would be COPYING WHAT UND did back in the early 1980's!!

UND has been dependant on CANADIANS forever..until RALPHY.... bailed them out!!/

just ask SID HARTMAN.. he' said it every winter sunday from 1985-1997 ...

SORRY Grand DORKS>.. ndsu could compete.. QUICKLY

look at BEMIDJI!! OMAHA..

Fargo is 3 hours from twin cities.. great players.. moorhead.. warroad... roseau!!

lakesbison
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
ITS MY OLD NAME!!!!

is club hockey still going at NDSU??

roadwarrior
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

You are a hockey fan and don't know??

ndsubison1
01-13-2009, 06:09 AM
ITS MY OLD NAME!!!!

what is yes

duluthbison
01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
There is an article on USA Hockey's website talking about all the speculation about NDSU Hockey.

http://ushockeymagazine.net/story.php?left_nav=0812&article=hockey-ND-2ndteam-0812&right_nav=normal

lakesbison
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
there already a thread for that one bro!

duluthbison
01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
My bad!! I just saw it

imabison
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
There is an article on USA Hockey's website talking about all the speculation about NDSU Hockey.

http://ushockeymagazine.net/story.php?left_nav=0812&article=hockey-ND-2ndteam-0812&right_nav=normal
There is a bit of true to the article.

found when you follow the Red River of the North some 75-plus miles upstream to Fargo, home of the North Dakota State University Bison.

The author knows the direction that the Red River Runs!!

duluthbison
01-14-2009, 02:41 AM
There is a bit of true to the article.

found when you follow the Red River of the North some 75-plus miles upstream to Fargo, home of the North Dakota State University Bison.

The author knows the direction that the Red River Runs!!

Clearly must be a UND Grad!!:D

ndsubison1
01-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Clearly must be a UND Grad!!:D

its right, the river runs northward...

tjbison
01-14-2009, 02:56 AM

There are ALOT of people who don't understand that or believe me when I tell them its true!

Civil06
01-14-2009, 03:07 AM

Yep, it runs downhill just like every other river.

fargocyclone
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep, it runs downhill just like every other river.

Trust him, he's a civil engineer. It took at least four years to learn that water runs downhill! :D ;)

Civil06
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Trust him, he's a civil engineer. It took at least four years to learn that water runs downhill! :D ;)

Ummmm..... 5 actually :hide:

lol

BlueBisonRock
01-15-2009, 12:21 AM

Isn't that concept taught at the graduate level at Iowa State? :hide:

Civil06
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Just another interesting article: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/227899/group/Sports/

The WCHA is considering lifting its moratorium on expansion. The most likely candidate is Bemidji. It says that a one-team expansion would create a scheduling problem, but nobody wants to see Division-1 hockey lose another team.
If NDSU were ever to get hockey, the WCHA expansion would be ideal. I don't want it and I realize it's not on the table, but it's an interesting time.

tjbison
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Just another interesting article: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/227899/group/Sports/

The WCHA is considering lifting its moratorium on expansion. The most likely candidate is Bemidji. It says that a one-team expansion would create a scheduling problem, but nobody wants to see Division-1 hockey lose another team.
If NDSU were ever to get hockey, the WCHA expansion would be ideal. I don't want it and I realize it's not on the table, but it's an interesting time.

IF NDSU ever started hockey they would NOT be in the WCHA, and thats probably more likely not because they wouldn't get in but because the WCHA is a ticking time bomb IMO, the Big Ten will have their own Hockey sometime in the near future! of course I guess the new conference could still be the WCHA:D

Flanders
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
IF NDSU ever started hockey they would NOT be in the WCHA, and thats probably more likely not because they wouldn't get in but because the WCHA is a ticking time bomb IMO, the Big Ten will have their own Hockey sometime in the near future! of course I guess the new conference could still be the WCHA:D
Classic! The Big Ten Hockey Conference. Sid Hartman "invented" that notion about 20 years ago. Still waiting. It's brought up once every couple of years...thanks for the nice laugh.

lakesbison
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
13 canadians on a US collegiate team is a "good laugh"

A BIG TEN conference is UND's greatest fear, and it could happen.

mich
mich st
minn
wisc
ohio state
penn state

Flanders
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
14 canadians on a US collegiate team is a "good laugh"
Claiming someone has CANCER and then never coming back and admitting you have no idea what your talking about is a "better laugh".

Flanders
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
13 canadians on a US collegiate team is a "good laugh"

mich
mich st
minn
wisc
ohio state
penn state
From Sid Hartman, February 28, 2003

Byline: Sid Hartman; Staff Writer

I have been advocating a Big Ten hockey league for some time, claiming that most of the schools in the WCHA have only one Division I sport, hockey, and thus they have an advantage over schools such as Minnesota and Wisconsin, which are Division I in all sports.

There are five Big Ten teams with hockey programs - Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin. Michigan State, Ohio State and Michigan are in the CCHA.

But Don Lucia, the Gophers hockey coach, likes the WCHA as it is today. He describes the WCHA as the SEC of hockey. He said he believes college hockey would be hurt a great deal if the Big Ten went on its ...

coldspot
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

mich
mich st
minn
wisc
ohio state
penn state

when are they getting a D1 hockey team? i know there was talk of it a few years back but i cant say i have heard much of it since. personally, i think they would need another school from the big ten to add hockey along side them for the big ten hockey conference to happen. have any of the other big ten schools talked about adding hockey?

lakesbison
01-16-2009, 04:11 PM
flanders.-- my bro *who is best pals with paul martin* has a friend who was at mayo last friday when Lucia was there.

saw him and his family walking out of the oncology dept looking grim.

thus, we (I) concluded he might have cancer......

so, there ya go.

but for real, BIG TEN hockey network is already showing games, think of the revenue that could be generated by a league of 6.

tjbison
01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Classic! The Big Ten Hockey Conference. Sid Hartman "invented" that notion about 20 years ago. Still waiting. It's brought up once every couple of years...thanks for the nice laugh.

If you think the last time it was talked about was 20 yrs ago you better do some research!

Flanders
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
If you think the last time it was talked about was 20 yrs ago you better do some research!
You should read my post again.

lakesbison
01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Flanders is kinda rite on this one. haha.

Flanders
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM
kinda = exactly

NDSU1980
01-17-2009, 01:24 AM

Hey Flanders, do you ever have anything positive to add? Otherwise, maybe you should change your name to "Green and white Troll". It would seem to fit you rather well.

UTH
01-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey Flanders, do you ever have anything positive to add? Otherwise, maybe you should change your name to "Green and white Troll". It would seem to fit you rather well.

There is a certain 'ignore' feature. It works.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif

Flanders
01-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Didn't know being "positive" was a prerequisite and not sure what the green and white troll comment means...I haven't said anything here UND or NDSU related. At the same time, I think Joe Mays is a hell of a middle linebacker. Reminds me of a cement truck rolling down a hill. Positive enough for you? And Ben Woodside...best college BB player I've ever seen in ND. Better then Guldseth and Joe Regnier.

lakesbison
01-17-2009, 05:23 AM
and chris gardner.... .

I need flanders and shawn o and bin on here. to talk smack for gopher hockey with..

big bounce back for gophs tonite!

coolpeoplearewildfans
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
so im transferring to ndsu this fall and havent been able to find any real information about hockey there. the club team seems to pop in and out of existence. do they currently have a club team? is there any place i can find info on it? sorry for the necrobump.

never mind.... found it.... its mostly just spread out through the forums here...

bisonballs33
07-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Check out www.bisonpuck.com for more information.

UTH
07-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Check out www.bisonpuck.com (http://www.bisonpuck.com) for more information.

Awesome - it's about dern time they find a good home on the interwebs. Reps to you!

bisoneer
11-28-2009, 03:52 AM
It will not happen.

AMEN and sianara, adious, tak and dont even think about it going DI!!!!!!!