PDA

View Full Version : Jacks accepted into Mid-Cont for Swimming and Divi

JACKGUYII
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
11/03/2005
Swimming and diving teams invited to Mid-Con
The South Dakota State University swimming and diving teams have secured membership in the Mid-Continent Conference, beginning immediately, Commissioner Tom Douple announced Thursday.

The Jackrabbit men's and women's squads were accepted as associate members along with Eastern Illinois on unanimous votes by the Mid-Continent Conference Presidents Council and Joint Council at their recent meetings. SDSU and Eastern Illinois will join Centenary (La.), IUPUI, Oakland (Mich.), Valparaiso and Western Illinois at the 2006 Mid-Con Swimming and Diving Championships Feb. 16-18 in Indianapolis.

Jackrabbit swimmers and divers also will be eligible for the Mid-Continent Conference weekly awards and academic honors immediately.

"This is great news for SDSU swimming and diving," Jackrabbit head coach Brad Erickson said. "A very much appreciated 'thank you' goes out to the Mid-Continent Conference for allowing us to join such a great conference as an associate member ... We are excited for the opportunity to swim and dive in some of the finest natatoriums in the country. We hope to be a competitive member, and look forward to building relationships with the other teams in the conference."

Eastern Illinois had been competing as an independent since the 1996-97 season, while SDSU had been an independent since moving to NCAA Division I during the 2004-05 academic year.

BisonBacker
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
This could be a peak at things to come, I believe he's pretty serious about SDSU and NDSU given his experience with them in the GWFC. I think he may have tipped his hand, I hope so. It's been mentioned previously, the BSC has stuck their collective nose up at us more then once. I say bring on the mid-con. ;)

JACKGUYII
11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Do the Bison have a Swimming and Diving Team?

Bisonguy
11-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Do the Bison have a Swimming and Diving Team?
No.

BisonBacker
11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I was referring to all sports, not just one. *The commish for the mid-con was one of the driving forces with several other people that put together the GWFC. *I think he would be very much on the side of NDSU and SDSU being admitted to the mid-con but I understand it would have to stand the scrutiny of all the member schools. *Time will tell but it can't hurt having him as a supporter.

Bisonguy
11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
A foot in the door is a good thing. ;D

89rabbit
11-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Here is a link to the story on the Mid-Con site:

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3398

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/9516.jpg

Go State! ;D

JBB
11-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Go Jacks! Another conference problem solved.

scottheck
11-05-2005, 08:32 PM
This is a good start, baby steps if no one will take either whole program.

sambini
11-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Its a start.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Hopefully this starts the ball rolling on NDSU and SDSU becoming full Mid-Con members. Football has the GWFC, so I think the Mid-Con is a good fit.