PDA

View Full Version : Women's Club Hockey

scottheck
09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Ok, why didn't I see this coming?

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=103758&section=Columnists&columnist=J eff%20Kolpack

kchats
09-24-2005, 06:47 PM
The hockey guys always think they are almost there. They thought that way back in the 1980's too. I would much rather move the football team up to division I-A after success in division I-AA than add hockey.

swaghook
09-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Just because upstate normal plays hockey is no reason to despise the game. I can't see adding another sport to NDSU as being a bad thing. I don't like the idea of going IA as long as they do not decide their champion on the field.

kchats
09-24-2005, 07:07 PM
I would much rather be division I-A in football than have a hockey team. Lots of money to be made in bowl games and NDSU has always been a football school.

bisongold
09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
No hockey please. Why do we have to add a woman's sport? Are they unequal at the present time?

JBB
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Womens hockey will solve our Title IX problems forever, even if we do go DI-A football, which we will do when we get a new stadium.

dakotadan
09-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I find it humorous that Bison fans have a hatred for hockey based solely on the fact that UND has hockey. I personally would love to see NDSU add hockey some day. I don't see this happening anytime soon though.

kchats
09-25-2005, 10:28 PM
We have bigger worries than adding a new program to the other division I programs we are already upgrading. Adding division I hockey isn't very important when the rest of your athletic teams are already competing at the division I level. We need to find a conference and continue to add money and scholarships. Hockey is at the very bottom of the list of priorities for most Bison fans. We would all like to see basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball etc. competitive in division I long before we add hockey.

sambini
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM
++

dakotadan
11-21-2005, 04:17 AM
ACHA Women's National Ranking #1 November 18, 2005

1 Robert Morris College (13)
2 Lindenwood University
3 University of Connecticut (1)
4 Michigan State University (Green)
5 University of Massachusetts
6 University of Rhode Island
7 University of Minnesota
8 University of Maryland
9 North Dakota State University
10 University of Michigan
11 Penn State University
12 Norwich University
13 University at Buffalo
14 Ohio State University
15 University of Colorado

Others receiving votes:
University of Delaware, Iowa State University, North Country Community College, Northern Michigan University, University of Wisconsin, University of Virginia

Rodentia
11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
I think that adding varsity hockey may well come down the road, but it's going to be a while, so it's nothing to worry about. By the time it happens, the Bison will have all their other sports safely in conferences.

I've been impressed by club sports in general. Club sports have come a long way. I have always thought of them as scrabbling together whatever games you could get, like against the local 4-H. But it is real intercollegiate competition. Not the NCAA by any means, but real intercollegiate sports. I should go to some club sport games here in the Twin Cities. For one, I'm a cheapskate, ;-)

soofan15
11-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Womens hockey will solve our Title IX problems forever, even if we do go DI-A football, which we will do when we get a new stadium.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. You just moved to 1AA, youre stadium is 10 years old. Give me a break.

JBB
11-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Our stadium is actually 15 yrs old. Ha Ha.

BisonWarrior
11-22-2005, 02:11 PM
We have bigger worries than adding a new program to the other division I programs we are already upgrading. *Adding division I hockey isn't very important when the rest of your athletic teams are already competing at the division I level. *We need to find a conference and continue to add money and scholarships. *Hockey is at the very bottom of the list of priorities for most Bison fans. *We would all like to see basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball etc. competitive in division I long before we add hockey.

I don't think NDSU fans hate hockey but I agree Kchats...I want to see every sport, I mean every sport fully funded and in a conference and all of our facilities upgraded to where they need to be then we can think about hockey.

BisonBacker
11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. *You just moved to 1AA, youre stadium is 10 years old. Give me a break.
All I have to say is look at Troy State. SooFan15 in all respect that is the biggest difference between the two Universities. We have the leadership here that is willing to take the Step and even more importantly we have the geographics to sustain a move up. I'm not knocking your school at all and no smack intended. In all honesty an I have said this before the FM area is growing at a rapid pace and can and will support a move up again if that is what is decided by our leadership. Were not saying its going to happen tomorrow but to scoff at the idea and write it off as if it has no chance of happening I think shows that your letting your emotions talk and not your common sense. Fargo alone will have a population of 250,000 by 2050 according to the census folks. That may seem like a long time away however its called vision and planning. The problem with Grand Forks is they don't have the growth or the numbers to draw on geographically to support a move up. Those are not opinions they are facts. If you don't agree with that then your not looking at the facts. You show me where I'm wrong. Look at the population growth over the last 35 years. Look at the FM area and then look at the Grand Forks East Grand Forks areas. You can't deny the truth whether you like it or not. Instead of coming on here and trying to run down NDSU why don't you go on your board and talk up your school?

WYOBISONMAN
11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
If NDSU could support hockey I would have no problem with it, however, we have to make sure our existing sports make a successful transition to D1. *After that we could look at hockey.

BisonBacker
11-22-2005, 04:43 PM
If NDSU could support hockey I would have no problem with it, however, we have to make sure our existing sports make a successful transition to D1. *After that we could look at hockey.
I agree completely, I think our administration has a very good grasp on where things are going. Conference affiliation for all sports first. Then worry about the rest.

RedRiver
11-22-2005, 07:08 PM

I also agree. Isn't it ironic that a hockey program is the cash drain that must be plugged before the school up north could successfully make a move to DI. Their AD made such reference about their women's hockey program!!

BisonBacker
11-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I also agree. *Isn't it ironic that a hockey program is the cash drain that must be plugged before the school up north could successfully make a move to DI. *Their AD made such reference about their women's hockey program!!
It may be the cash drain but I sincerely think they have more problems then just the Hockey program as far as finances go.

JBB
11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
As a financial model, DI exhibition hockey and DII other sports is not a good way to go. You have one sport with any major revenue potential and thats mens hockey. *Unfortunately it also has very high expenses. *Cost/participant is almost 3 times the cost of the NEXT highest sport, which is football and it has to carry the equally expensive womens program too. *All your other sports are almost non revenue leaving most athletic departments built on this model with less than no money.

Now with all sports DI and no hockey we have a lot more revenue sports. *Both mens and womens BB are picking up guarantee money regularly and attendance at football games has skyrocketed. *Guarantee money is about ready to start rolling in there too. *Give me this situation any day and forget hockey until, like some of you have been saying every thing else is taken care of and we have some surplus cash. *Right now we seem to have the money for the women's club team and thats just fine.

soofan15
11-23-2005, 04:37 AM
All I have to say is look at Troy State. *SooFan15 in all respect that is the biggest difference between the two Universities. *
Troy State is the biggest difference between the universities?

We have the leadership here that is willing to take the Step and even more importantly we have the geographics to sustain a move up. *I'm not knocking your school at all and no smack intended. *In all honesty an I have said this before the FM area is growing at a rapid pace and can and will support a move up again if that is what is decided by our leadership. *Were not saying its going to happen tomorrow but to scoff at the idea and write it off as if it has no chance of happening I think shows that your letting your emotions talk and not your common sense. *Fargo alone will have a population of 250,000 by 2050 according to the census folks. *That may seem like a long time away however its called vision and planning. *The problem with Grand Forks is they don't have the growth or the numbers to draw on geographically to support a move up. *Those are not opinions they are facts. *If you don't agree with that then your not looking at the facts. * You show me where I'm wrong. *Look at the population growth over the last 35 years. *Look at the FM area and then look at the Grand Forks East Grand Forks areas. *You can't deny the truth whether you like it or not. *Instead of coming on here and trying to run down NDSU why don't you go on your board and talk up your school? *
Why don't you first establish yourself as a respectable 1 AA school, then look at moving to 1A. Just having a large community doesn't mean it would work. Would the citizens of Fargo vote for another, larger stadium to be built with public funding? Doubtful.

JBB
11-23-2005, 05:12 AM
soofan15
Why don't you first establish yourself as a respectable 1 AA school, then look at moving to 1A.

Excellent plan! *Brilliant!! * 8)

BisonBacker
11-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Troy State is the biggest difference between the universities?

Troy State and NDSU have virtually the same enrollment. If you had read my post you would have seen that I didn't say this was happening tomorrow. Only pointing out that it is not out of the question in the future. Your just to ready to jump on anything NDSU or Fargo does and I don't know why other then making assumptions as to your motives. Jealousy because your president and university either won't or can't make the move? Just out of dislike? Whatever the reason you didn't answer the question why? Why don't you go on your university's board and talk them up instead of coming on here and trying to talk down NDSU?

kchats
11-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Fargo is a bigger and nicer city than Manhattan Kansas home of Kansas State.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Fargo is a bigger and nicer city than Manhattan Kansas home of Kansas State.
I couldn't agree with you more. Unless you're into a huge earthen dam or a tiny little zoo there isn't much of anything to do there.

sambini
11-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Do we really have a club hockey for women?

kchats
11-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. *Unless you're into a huge earthen dam or a tiny little zoo there isn't much of anything to do there.

There isn't a nice hotel in the whole town either. They are all run down dumps.

sambini
11-25-2005, 04:52 AM
Is that why Snyder resigned?

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-25-2005, 05:23 AM
From what I gathered he resigned because he thought it was time for a change in the program, not necessarily because of Manhattan. I will say that despite the crappy town, KSU has nice athletic facilities. Maybe not on par with other Big 12/Big 10 Type schools (didn't see them all), but very nice.