PDA

View Full Version : Conference news?

kchats
10-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Since the Big Sky rejected NDSU and SDSU earlier this month things have grown rather quiet on the conference search. They haven't done a good job of updating the topics or TV Clips on Bison Zone (I complained earlier today) so I haven't seen or heard anything lately. Any news or rumors floating around?

roadwarrior
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
There are probably always things going on behind the scenes that are not made public.

mikelsch
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Mid-Con's new commish (Tom Douple) started Oct 10. He was the former AD at Southern Utah and was instrumental in the birth of the Great West Football Conference. He and SUU's president are big fans of NDSU and SDSU. Look for the Mid-Con to officially take over the day-to-day operations of the GWFC. Potential developments include adding NDSU and SDSU as affiliate members for baseball and softball. Remember those two sports are not sponsored by the Big Sky. Full membership is a future possibility if they decide to expand. Other potential candidates would be IPFW, Utah Valley State, and U of North Dakota (see below). Also, Douple is in favor of combining the GWFC and the Big South for football to create an automatic qualifier for the playoffs. As far as the Big Sky goes, still a wait and see game. U of North Dakota is still interested in the Big Sky if they decide to expand.

BisonBacker
10-17-2005, 07:42 PM
U of North Dakota is still interested in the Big Sky if they decide to expand.

It isn't going to happen. They are short on $$$$ not to mention leadership! ;D ;D

sambini
10-18-2005, 03:11 AM
++

kchats
10-18-2005, 03:52 AM
I have heard in no uncertain terms that UND is not and has not been in communication with the Big Sky. *They will not be considered by any conference until they have actually made it most of the way through a transition period like everyone else. *If they wait for a division I conference to invite them (assuming they have the money to make the move) hell will freeze over before they make the move.

mikelsch
10-18-2005, 05:06 PM
They were in communication with the Big Sky during the most recent go around. However, it is unlikely they would move under Kupchella; and it would be unlikely that a conference would take them unless they declared their move to DI.

kchats
10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I think they were blowing a whole lot of smoke up people's a$$es to make everyone think they were on equal footing with NDSU in the Big Sky's eyes. That is a bunch of bull. They are not even an afterthought with the Big Sky and will never be considered until they are nearly eligible for the postseason in division I before any conference would consider them. That being said they have stated that they won't move to division I unless they have a conference so that tells me and everyone else that they will be division II for a very long time (hell will freeze over before they move).

GCWaters
10-18-2005, 07:07 PM
They are not even an afterthought with the Big Sky and will never be considered until they are nearly eligible for the postseason in division I before any conference would consider them. .

I think that's normally how things work. However, if the Big Sky is ready to make a move, and if they see UND as a necessary third school for a 12 team conference, then I do believe they would issue an invite before UND had announced...

JBB
10-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Thats not going to happen with the BSC, I doubt the Montana schools want to split an travel to 3 or 4 school over here. Its conceivable that another conference might try and operate that way though especially if they were going to reconfigure and not just expand. The mid con or a new conference is the most likely for that, IMHO.

kchats
10-19-2005, 01:03 AM
I disagree. Why would a conference want to add a team that doesn't help in any way shape or form for at least 5 years probably longer? To get invited they have to be transitioning to division I and they say to move to division I they need an invite. Never going to happen unless they change their tune and declare without a conference.

mikelsch
10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Some conferences are adding DII schools in their first year of reclassification, for example:

Southland - Central Arkansas
Atlantic Sun - Kennesaw State

If the Big Sky really wanted 12 schools, North Dakota is more attractive than Southern Utah or Utah Valley State. Schools like Denver, Cal-Poly, and UC Davis are not options because they already have more favorable conferences.

kchats
10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Keep dreaming about them getting an invite. If the Big Sky expands with NDSU and SDSU that will fill the conference. Why add a team that has shown no interest in division I and hasn't even started the transition? Each year that goes by that is another year added on the 5 years they will be transitioning. Not sure why you keep singing their praises.

mikelsch
10-19-2005, 08:20 PM
For the record: I very much dislike UND (both the Sux and the Irish), and I'm not singing their praises. In fact, I get a good laugh when they don't do well. However, it would be foolish to say that they are not an attractive school (if they make the jump) to the Big Sky. I'm not saying they would be a shoo-in as school #12. But if the Sky ever goes to 12 (seems quite unlikely at this time), they have a better chance than some of the other schools. UND realizes that fact, and that's why they continue talking with the Big Sky. They know they eventually will go DI and the Sky makes the most sense for them.

GCWaters
10-19-2005, 08:48 PM
For the record: I very much dislike UND (both the Sux and the Irish), and I'm not singing their praises. In fact, I get a good laugh when they don't do well. However, it would be foolish to say that they are not an attractive school (if they make the jump) to the Big Sky. I'm not saying they would be a shoo-in as school #12. But if the Sky ever goes to 12 (seems quite unlikely at this time), they have a better chance than some of the other schools. UND realizes that fact, and that's why they continue talking with the Big Sky. They know they eventually will go DI and the Sky makes the most sense for them.

I agree...I also think that UND makes sense for the Sky...

JBB
10-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I dont think so, unless something changes. Many of the BSC schools arent interested in traveling out here now. Adding a third trip without travel partner makes no sense. I also think its unlikely the BSC would insist that SDSU or NDSU drop out in favor of undII.

The only conference I see willing to make those types of changes for undII is the Mid Con, and they arent exactly in a fast hurry about it. They would also have a spot in the GWFC, which would help everyone.

RedRiver
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't think any school makes sense for the Big Sky considering their current position on expansion. Therefore, it certainly doesn't make any sense that there would be any DII schools on their radar screen right now.

kchats
10-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. I have heard from a very good source that UND is NOT talking to the Big Sky Conference.

bisondad
10-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Ok, how about some predictions here. What will be NDSU's conference affiliation and what year will it happen.

kchats
10-24-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm thinking Mid-Continent and Great West Football Conference. I think the Mid-Con invites NDSU, SDSU and IPFW to join starting in 2006.

D_One_here_we_come
10-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I say Big Sky 2009!

sambini
10-26-2005, 02:32 AM
MOUNTAN WEST 2020?

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Mid-Con '07 with SDSU, football stays in the Great West. That would leave both schools one year short of postseason eligibility, which is not unreasonable. Also, joining the Mid-Con puts baseball and softball into a conference (not to mention a conference where baseball won't finish last every year), which I think is important, because you don't want two non-revenue sports playing independent or in a less favorable conference due to the travel dollars. It would be nice if undII, SDSU and NDSU could all get into the Big Sky, but unless that happens I think this is the best fit.

BisBison
10-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Mid-Con '07 with SDSU, football stays in the Great West. *That would leave both schools one year short of postseason eligibility, which is not unreasonable. *Also, joining the Mid-Con puts baseball and softball into a conference (not to mention a conference where baseball won't finish last every year), which I think is important, because you don't want two non-revenue sports playing independent or in a less favorable conference due to the travel dollars. *It would be nice if undII, SDSU and NDSU could all get into the Big Sky, but unless that happens I think this is the best fit.

F@#$k undII!! who cares about them??? they are undII, we don't need them for anything, we already have a travel partner.

BisonBacker
10-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Amen to that BisBison ;)

sambini
10-27-2005, 03:09 AM
BISBISON++++

somebison
10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051027/SPORTS0202/510270302/1002/SPORTS

mikelsch
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Excerpts from Chris Solari's article

"While there has been no official announcement, the women's soccer team is close to finding a conference home. SDSU is a candidate for membership into the United Soccer Conference, which currently has six schools.

League commissioner Dexter Harris, interim athletic director at Howard University in Washington, D.C., said SDSU is a candidate and expects a decision within the next few weeks. However, the conference athletic directors and coaches haven't had a chance to talk with the season winding toward the conference tournament."

Potential New Members
SDSU
NDSU
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Frances Marion University (South Carolina)

Current Members
Howard (Wash DC)
Longwood (Virginia)
South Carolina State
Delaware State
Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne
Utah Valley State

The United Soccer Conference would be considered a nice solution while still seeking acceptance into the Mid-Con or Big Sky.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I agree that we don't need undII, but as a former athlete that was the game we always looked forward to and the game the fans got into most. Not to mention that adding an almost guaranteed sell-out to all the schedules wouldn't be bad for the athletic department's budget. Not saying we shold base our decision on that or take it into consideration since they are still a long ways from being DI.

kchats
10-27-2005, 06:43 PM
With division I programs coming to Fargo to play our teams sellouts will be much more frequent. *

They aren't going to go division I unless they get invited to join a conference and a conference won't invite them to join unless they are almost completely through the transition period so they will remain division II forever.

BisonBacker
10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
They don't have the leadership or the money to go to DI! ;D

TheBisonator
10-27-2005, 09:59 PM
If the Mid-Con decides to add our baseball and softball teams as affiliate members, then these are the sports that would have conferences by next year (hopefully):

Football (Great West Football Conference)
Baseball (Mid-Continent Conference)
Softball (Mid-Continent Conference)
Wrestling (Western Wrestling Conference)
Soccer (United Soccer Conference)

That might tide us over for a couple years, until the Mid-Con decides to add us for all sports. We would still have 9 other sports that would need conferences, though.

kchats
10-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I think the Mid-Con will invite us to join for all sports long before they ask us to join as affiliate members.

sambini
10-28-2005, 01:00 AM
What about the Missouri Valley?

kchats
10-28-2005, 03:30 AM
Everyone says they are happy with what they have.

NDSUstudent
10-28-2005, 05:32 AM
I could see the whole conference thing working it's way out in one of two ways.

1. NDSU gets into the Big Sky in 2008 with SDSU and UND. I know some of you want nothing to do with UND but if we get into a conference I could really care less if UND is in it. The Big Sky with Montana, Montana St, SDSU, and UND is really a nice for fit NDSU since they are all schools that NDSU fans know well. I think this stands a good chance of happening since the Montana schools seem to really want the Dakota schools in and the 9 team conference just isn't that great for scheduling purposes.

2. This option is of course the Mid-Con and we would most likely be getting in with SDSU and IPFW. The Mid-Con does have few problems and those are those schools that make up the conference are not well known to most Bison fans and there aren't really any schools too close by. Also if we go this direction I think the Great West is shot and NDSU and SDSU will probably move into the Gateway if WKU really does leave for IA. I think the Gateway is better for football anyway since more schools are closer to NDSU and it will be easier for NDSU to get into the playoffs due to the fact that the Gateway gets an auto-bid and I think usually the conference also gets at least one at large. The best thing about going the Mid-Con direction is that it will give NDSU a long term possiblity of playing it's way into the MVC and that is the conference that I think best fits NDSU. The worst thing about the Mid-Co is possibily getting stuck in it for the long term, the conference just isn't that appealing.

mikelsch
11-18-2005, 06:44 PM
NDSU and SDSU have been accepted into the United Soccer Conference for the 2006 season. *The USC has a post-season conference tournament. *Also, the USC will gain an autobid to the NCAA playoffs with the 2008 season. *NDSU will be eligible for post-season play in 2008. *

Press Release
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=213678

Conference Website
http://www.ipfw.edu/athletics/UnitedSoccerConference/uscdefault.htm?DB_OEM_ID=2400

West Division
NDSU
SDSU
IPFW
Utah Valley State

East Division
South Carolina State
Longwood (Virginia)
Howard (Wash DC)
Delaware State

Bisonguy
11-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Good news! ;D ;D ;D :o

Bisonguy
11-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Geez, I nearly forgot- The best thing about this conference, The Battle of the Bison every year! NDSU vs. Howard. ;D

sambini
11-20-2005, 05:28 AM
That will be great.

mikelsch
01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Interesting articles regarding conference affilitation...

Doug Fullerton unhappy with Big Sky's RPI; 9 teams far from ideal for basketball and volleyball scheduling
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/01/04/sports/sports01.txt

Gene Taylor at the NCAA convention this weekend. Basketball RPI is our friend right now...NDSU men RPI=172, women=117
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=113640

SDSU's take on the RPI and conference...SDSU men RPI=226, women=121
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/SPORTS0202/601050338/1002/SPORTS

sambini
01-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Maybe they will take a better look at the two state universitys?

Tatanka
01-07-2006, 02:46 AM
“I'm telling the athletic directors in my mind that is unacceptable,” Fullerton said. “I think a good target for our teams ... is in the 150-170 range. If you've got a quality team coming back, you should challenge yourself, move up in the 90s, 70s in the schedule strength. If you've got a bunch of young kinds, I don't have any gripe with you trying to build a schedule that helps you prepare and you should be down in the 170s, 180s. If you get down in the 300s, that means there are only 30 schedules that are worse than you. I think that is reserved for conferences that don't play basketball as well as we have. We have been as high as the 12th-ranked conference heading into the NCAAs. Last year we were second to last.

“We have to reverse that. It's a trend. It's not just a blip.”

Hmmm, now who would fit that profile??? Let Tatanka think about it a while.

sambini
01-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Portland and Sac State?

Gamehunter
01-07-2006, 05:44 AM
Something else to ponder that I am not so sure has been addressed yet:

Is is possible NDSU could quickly outgrow either of these conferences if the Bison were to get an invite? IE Nevada, Boise St, etc.

sambini
01-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Hopefully Gene will get some answers at the national convention for ADs.

NDSUstudent
01-18-2006, 10:31 PM
From the Mid-Con notebook in the Tulsa World today

Outside, looking in:
Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne wants to join the Mid-Con or Metro Conference(Horizon), according to the Northwest (Ind.) Times.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State have also expressed interest in joining the Mid-Con, leading to talk of a 12-team league, the newspaper reported.

IPFW has been independent since leaving the Great Lakes Conference when it made the move from NCAA Division II to Division I in 2001.

IPFW athletic director Mark Pope has discussed the matter several times with Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera, who said he would support IPFW's admittance.

"(Pope) makes a lot of good arguments," LaBarbera said. "There's a lot of compelling reasons why they would be a good fit for the Mid-Con."

DIBISON
01-19-2006, 12:34 AM
The Mid-Con might be the ray of hope!